Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 5 months ago

CCL December Top 6

"An Unexpected Guest"

Ashiok, Sculptor of Fears, taken from here on MTGNexus, by Daarken and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Story Beats Month here at the CCL! This month, we'll focus on single moments of narrative and how to represent them in designs.

Challenge
Choose an existing planeswalker and an existing set that planeswalker did NOT appear as a card in. Design a card representing that planeswalker during the events of that set.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • For example, you can have Ajani appear in Eldritch Moon or Geyadrone Dihada in The Brothers' War.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@netn10
@shullz
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Komandon
@Subject16
@MonoRedMage
Your submissions are due Sunday, December 24th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (November 30th-December 7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (December 10th-15th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (December 20th-24th)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due December 27th)
  • Final (January, winner determined by public poll)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 5 months ago

Tibalt, the Fiend Engine
Legendary Planeswalker — Tibalt (M)
Compleated ( can be paid with B, R, or 2 life. If life was paid, this planeswalker enters with two fewer loyalty counters.)
+1: Up to one target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn. When that creature dies this turn, its controller gets a poison counter.
-3: Each opponent discards a card and gets a poison counter.
-6: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of each opponent's end step, that player loses life equal to the number of poison counters they have unless they get a poison counter."

shullz

Post by shullz » 5 months ago

Minsc and Boo, Dinosaur Riders
Legendary Planeswalker — Minsc (R)
Enrage — Whenever Minsc and Boo, Dinosaur Riders is dealt damage by a creature, target Hamster you control deals damage equal to its power to that creature.
+2: Target Dinosaur you control gets +2/+2 and gains haste and trample until end of turn.
-5: Reveal a Dinosaur creature card from your hand. Create a creature token, that's a copy of that card, except its name is Boo and it's a legendary red Hamster in addition to its other types and colors.

Komandon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Komandon » 5 months ago

Saheeli, Saiba Futurist 1UR
Legendary Planeswalker — Saheeli
Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield under your control from your hand or your graveyard, put a loyalty counter on Saheeli.
+0 : Add c. Spend this mana only to activate an ability or cast an artifact spell. Artifact creatures cast with this mana enter the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter.
-2 : Create a 3/1 red Construct artifact creature token with haste.
-10 : Create a token copy of each artifact you control.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 months ago

Teferi, Visiting Professor 4UU
Legendary Planeswalker - Teferi (Mythic)
+2: Untap up to two permanents and shuffle up to two cards from your graveyard into your library. Scry 2.
-3: Reveal the top seven cards of your library. Put all instant, sorcery, Cleric, Wizard, Warlock, Shaman, and Druid cards revealed this way into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.
-X+7: Take an extra turn after this one. Create a 0/0 green and blue Fractal creature token and put four times X +1/+1 counters on it, then create X 4/4 blue and red Elemental creature tokens. (Remove seven or more loyalty counters to activate. X is the number more than seven you removed.)
Last edited by kwanyeegor-ii 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 4 months ago

Pinging @MonoRedMage and @netn10 - please get your entries in by tomorrow if possible!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 months ago

Ob Nixilis, Phyrexian Kingpin Ur
Legendary Planeswalker - Ob Nixilis (Mythic)
Compleated - Cleave (If life was paid to cast this planeswalker, it enters the battlefield with the words in square brackets removed and two fewer loyalty counters.)
+1: Create a 1/1 colorless Phyrexian Mite artifact creature token with toxic 1 and "This creature can't block."
-2: Sacrifice a creature. If you do, when you cast your next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
[-6: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast or copy an instant or sorcery spell this turn, draw a card, each opponent discards a card, then proliferate."]
{3}

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 4 months ago

Koth, Prophet of Purphoros 2RR
Legendary Planeswalker - Koth {M}
+1: Exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card. Create a Gold token.
-2: You may put a Mountain card from your hand onto the battlefield. When you do, Koth, Prophet of Purphoros deals 2 damage to any target and you create two Gold tokens.
-7: You get an emblem with "Tap X untapped Mountains you control: Create a token that's a copy of target nontoken creature with mana value X or less you control, except it's an enchantment artifact in addition to its other types and has haste. At the beginning of the next end step, exile it and it deals damage equal to its power to any target."
Loyalty 4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Alright - pinging all contestants again for critiques and T3!

@netn10
@shullz
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Komandon
@Subject16
@MonoRedMage

Please critique and provide a top 3 for all other contestants. You can have until Sunday, 12/31.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 months ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
Flavor and Overall: Phyrexian Tibalt seems fine and makes sense. I love Compleated and unique mana costs.
1st Ability: It helps Tibalt defend itself but doesn't do much if an opponent lacks creatures or if the creatures are too big. It doesn't feel very red.
2nd Ability: This ability feels overly expensive as a -3 ability. It still doesn't evoke a red feeling.
3rd Ability: The ultimate is nice and clean. However, it might be on the weaker side since it doesn't guarantee an instant win. The entire package is neat and very aggressive. Black-Red poison should be explored more.
shullz
Show
Hide
Flavor and Overall: The concept of Minsc and Boo being on Ixalan and beyond their universe is intriguing. A Planeswalker with Enrage is unique, and I like it.
1st Ability: It's fine.
2nd Ability: Now we're cooking! Creating a Hamster copy of a Dinosaur is awesome. It fits Minsc and Boo so well, and I love it. Overall, it's a pretty interesting card. I don't think it's as powerful as the original Minsc and Boo, but that's a good thing. You went for a completely different flavor, and it works, at least for me.
Komandon
Show
Hide
Flavor and overall: Saheeli on Neo Kamigawa makes a lot of sense. That trigger ability is probably too good, but I'm not so sure - the restriction is interesting.
1st ability: A simple but effective way to create some pressure and defend Saheeli. The token is also native to Kamigawa - it's a cool touch. (Sokenzan Smelter)
2nd ability: Works well with the first ability, and a fitting ultimate. It's really a question of how fast someone can put 6 artifacts to trigger Saheeli.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Flavor and overall: Teferi as a teacher at Strixhaven is interesting but I'm not sure if it fits his character - I don't think they teach time magic there.
1st ability: This does a lot, but it's fine for 6 mana.
2nd ability: Drawing the student types is a cool reference. I wish WotC made more cards that batched these types. Instants and sorceries are an "of course" thing. Pretty powerful,
3rd ability: This whole ability is a giant math equation + time magic. Now THAT'S flavor! But, two things: I'm not sure what the Prismari mascot is doing here, and more importantly - the ability is broken, because you can just play Teferi, do nevermind, that reminder text is pulling some work. A unique cost for a planeswalker ability for sure.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Flavor and Overall: Koth as follower of Purphoros. I like how you made him a Gold-themed planeswalker, a token originally from Theros. Maybe it is intentional, but the Mirrans also use gold to fight the Phyrexians.
1st Ability: A good card advantage ability that generates Gold, synergizing well with the second ability to cast exiled cards.
2nd Ability: A strong ramping ability dealing damage and creating Gold, which synergizes with the ultimate by enabling more Mountain tapping.
3rd Ability: An explosive ultimate dealing damage and copying creatures. It's flavorful, creating enchantment artifacts, but making the copies red could better match Koth's color identity and Purphoros's devotion.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: shullz
2nd: MonoRedMage
3rd: kwanyeegor-ii

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 4 months ago

Critiques
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
5 months ago
Tibalt, the Fiend Engine
Compleated ( can be paid with B, R, or 2 life. If life was paid, this planeswalker enters with two fewer loyalty counters.)
+1: Up to one target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn. When that creature dies this turn, its controller gets a poison counter.
-6: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of each opponent's end step, that player loses life equal to the number of poison counters they have unless they get a poison counter."
Tibalt in Phyrexia All Will Be One. So for 2 life, and two mana he can be a 1 loyalty start. That seems fail except even his first ability us IMO to powerful. Maybe if it was a -1. Each ability having the ability to give poison and then the ultimate is a coco for both life and poison. I'm sure there is another planeswalker with a clocking ability but I can't imagine it being this powerful. I'm sorry.
shullz wrote:
5 months ago
Enrage — Whenever Minsc and Boo, Dinosaur Riders is dealt damage by a creature, target Hamster you control deals damage equal to its power to that creature.
+2: Target Dinosaur you control gets +2/+2 and gains haste and trample until end of turn.
-5: Reveal a Dinosaur creature card from your hand. Create a creature token, that's a copy of that card, except its name is Boo and it's a legendary red Hamster in addition to its other types and colors.
Hamstersaurus. An apex predator. Lol. I like this card. 🐹 Enrage on a non-creature is unique too. Nice touch.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
4 months ago
Teferi, Visiting Professor 4UU
Legendary Planeswalker - Teferi (Mythic)
+2: Untap up to two permanents and shuffle up to two cards from your graveyard into your library. Scry 2.
-3: Reveal the top seven cards of your library. Put all instant, sorcery, Cleric, Wizard, Warlock, Shaman, and Druid cards revealed this way into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.
-X+7: Take an extra turn after this one. Create a 0/0 green and blue Fractal creature token and put four times X +1/+1 counters on it, then create X 4/4 blue and red Elemental creature tokens. (Remove seven or more loyalty counters to activate. X is the number more than seven you removed.)
He was one of the few planeswalkers to go to the academy in Tolaria. So this makes sense. And Strixhaven was originally based on Harry Potter with I understand some of the names kept in the set as earmarks printed by accident. So like a Hogwarts student coming back to teach. Will Professor Onxy hide from him. Lol.

His second ability making reference to the different creature classes in the set is a good touch too. I guess him being a visiting professor the reference to two houses tokens makes sense. Reminds me of Michael J Fox cameo on Scrubs with him as both a doctor and surgery that both rival groups were wowed at.
netn10 wrote:
4 months ago
Compleated - Cleave (If life was paid to cast this planeswalker, it enters the battlefield with the words in square brackets removed and two fewer loyalty counters.)
+1: Create a 1/1 colorless Phyrexian Mite artifact creature token with toxic 1 and "This creature can't block."
-2: Sacrifice a creature. If you do, when you cast your next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
[-6: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast or copy an instant or sorcery spell this turn, draw a card, each opponent discards a card, then proliferate."]
{3}
I think only one black card had a Mite creation in the set and a white and black legendary. And mixing cleave with Mites. So Phyrexia and Innistras: Crimson Vow. It it wasn't so the mix of two sets on two planes and the white Mite mechanic. Grixis colors too seem odd so still SNC or an Alara set.
MonoRedMage wrote:
4 months ago
+1: Exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card. Create a Gold token.
-2: You may put a Mountain card from your hand onto the battlefield. When you do, Koth, Prophet of Purphoros deals 2 damage to any target and you create two Gold tokens.
-7: You get an emblem with "Tap X untapped Mountains you control: Create a token that's a copy of target nontoken creature with mana value X or less you control, except it's an enchantment artifact in addition to its other types and has haste. At the beginning of the next end step, exile it and it deals damage equal to its power to any target."
Loyalty 4
Gold is under used IMO. In Scars of Mirrodin his card was Koth the Hammer. And with Purphoros being based on Hephaestus/Vulcan of all planeswalkers to be related to that god he makes the most sense. And the damage abilities are associated with both him and Purphoros in the game.
Top 3
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Going a lot on flavor for my pics. So not just mechanics and abilities but then fitting the set and place in said set.

1st: MonoRedMage
2nd: kwanyeegor-ii
3rd: shullz

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 months ago

crits
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
5 months ago
Tibalt, the Fiend Engine
the compleated versiono f this card only enters with 1 loyalty which is very vulnerable but i guess thats what you get for 2 mana lol. This feels like tibalt yet theultimate doesn't seem that good... it will almost only matter if you activate it when the opponent has about 7 poison counters anyway and by then you are near of killing them
shullz wrote:
5 months ago
lol for Minsc and boo to go to ixalan they would have to cross not only planes but franchises... this card is very parasitic as it does nothing without a lot of dinosaurs and I don't understand how Boo can be a dinosaur hamster in the flavor
Komandon wrote:
5 months ago
Saheeli, Saiba Futurist 1UR
Legendary Planeswalker — Saheeli
Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield under your control from your hand or your graveyard, put a loyalty counter on Saheeli.
+0 : Add c. Spend this mana only to activate an ability or cast an artifact spell. Artifact creatures cast with this mana enter the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter.
-2 : Create a 3/1 red Construct artifact creature token with haste.
-10 : Create a token copy of each artifact you control.
This has nice abiliies but needs rewording as artifact spells don't enter from your hand vbut the stack. Saheeli would definitely join the futurists if she was on Kamigawa and I like the token and counter subhteme she has
netn10 wrote:
4 months ago
{3}
Compleated cleave is very original but has memory issues i think. I like idea of giving an extra ability if you paid the higher cost but it's just too confusing. -2 is basically just casualty which is cool as Ob was taking oveer the Maestros
MonoRedMage wrote:
4 months ago
Loyalty 4
Purphoros would definitely be Koth's god on THeros and the gold abilities make sense for a planeswalker who came from an artifact world even if it seems like they give you too much mana acceleration imo
t3
Show
Hide
1 Komandon
2 subject16
3 netn10
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 4 months ago

Top 3 -

1 - Komandon
2 - shullz
3 - Subject16

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And our finalists are Komandon and MonoRedMage - next round to come soon!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”