Group Think: O-Kagachi

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Shizo, Death's Storehouse produces colored mana and can give a bit of extra evasion to our friend O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 4 years ago

Day 14

If you nominate a dual/tri land, you will be nominating the half-cycle to which it belongs. (e.g. Nominating Indatha Triome nominates all five triome lands; nominating Godless Shrine nominates the enemy cycle pain lands).

Now accepting nominations for: Non-Basic Lands

Combo: While we await the last few lands to be nominated, please review the current list. We'll start the culling by identifying any two or three card combos (whether infinite or just "I win") and removing at least one combo piece if necessary. IIRC, one poster earlier (page 3~ish) mentioned that Staff of Domination might combo with Jegantha, the Wellspring (and/or other creatures), but I think that's a non-bo unless we have a filter for Jegantha's mana.
Show
Hide
O-Kagachi Day 12a.jpg
Deck List
Show
Hide
O-Kagachi Group Think

Planeswalkers (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

Current (un-cut) ratios and weights for consideration:
ColorCard CountWeight CountWeight Multiplier
Colorless13231.77
White22251.14
Blue17211.24
Black13161.23
Red25361.44
Green22241.10

*Where Weight Multiplier is the ratio of total costs in a color to the number of cards in the deck with that color in their CI. I use this to multiply against the color's required land ratio to get the total minimum number of mana sources the deck should contain to support that color weight.
Last edited by Treamayne 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
V/R

Treamayne

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Maze of Ith might take some of the heat off us... and we can still exact vengeance!

I found an infinite, though:

Faeburrow Elder/Bloom Tender + Staff of Domination with O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami or will produce infinite mana (it won't win the game with Staff, but you then can draw your whole deck).

Once you draw your whole deck and have infinite mana, you can use Kiora's Follower to give each other player an infinite number of spirits via Forbidden Orchard (using Staff to untap Follower), and then play Rakdos Charm to deal them all the damage, copying it with Expansion // Explosion. That should kill two players, and then you can All Suns' Dawn to pick both those cards up (plus some others), and kill another two players.

Alternatively, you might just be able to cast more spells than each player's life total with Blind Obedience to extort them out.

tl;dr: Staff of Domination is a problem card, and I'm never sure it's worth the inclusion.

Treamayne

Day 15

We still need 5 to 9 more lands....

If you nominate a dual/tri land, you will be nominating the half-cycle to which it belongs. (e.g. Nominating Indatha Triome nominates all five triome lands; nominating Godless Shrine nominates the enemy cycle pain lands).

Now accepting nominations for: Non-Basic Lands

Combo: While we await the last few lands to be nominated, please review the current list. We'll start the culling by identifying any two or three card combos (whether infinite or just "I win") and removing at least one combo piece if necessary. IIRC, one poster earlier (page 3~ish) mentioned that Staff of Domination might combo with Jegantha, the Wellspring (and/or other creatures), but I think that's a non-bo unless we have a filter for Jegantha's mana.
Show
Hide
O-Kagachi Day 15.jpg
Deck List
Show
Hide
O-Kagachi Group Think

Planeswalkers (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

Colorless13231.77
White22251.14
Blue17211.24
Black13161.23
Red25361.44
Green22241.10

*Where Weight Multiplier is the ratio of total costs in a color to the number of cards in the deck with that color in their CI. I use this to multiply against the color's required land ratio to get the total minimum number of mana sources the deck should contain to support that color weight.
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Maze of Ith might take some of the heat off us... and we can still exact vengeance!

I found an infinite, though:

<snip>

tl;dr: Staff of Domination is a problem card, and I'm never sure it's worth the inclusion.
Sounds like a nomination for cutting the Staff...

Also, current plan is for the final deck to have 40 land slots, unless somebody wants to nominate something different.
V/R

Treamayne

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Yeah, Staff of Domination goes infinite with Bloom Tender or Faeburrow Elder. I'll second the nomination for cutting Staff, assuming the intent is to have no infinites.

Re: lands, I'll nominate the full checkland cycle (Sunpetal Grove, Isolated Chapel, and friends) to go with the Triomes. That's 10 cards though - if that is too many, I'll just nominate the enemy-colored ones (because I'm always annoyed about ally colors having better fixing).

Treamayne

Staff of Domination is gone. Since it was part of a combo and the rules stated:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Treamayne wrote:
4 years ago
[*]Combos must be 4 cards or more and interactive
We only needed nomination and concurrence (rather than the five three votes needed by an ordinary card) to confirm which side of the combo was to be cut from the deck.
Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Re: lands, I'll nominate the full checkland cycle (Sunpetal Grove, Isolated Chapel, and friends) to go with the Triomes. That's 10 cards though - if that is too many, I'll just nominate the enemy-colored ones (because I'm always annoyed about ally colors having better fixing).

Not because the full cycle is too many, but because the rules had said:
Which was to speed the land selection process while preserving the idea of variety/group effort in deck-building (not all land selected by one or two people**). So, maybe another member will nominate the other half or, if we still have land slots, you can nominate the other half tomorrow.
Show
Hide
Even though that has failed as interest waned the last 4-5 days (it seems the closer we came to completing, the less people nominated anything). We've had two days with no nominations at all, and a few with 1-3 nominations. Deck's highpoint of interaction was the first day with 14 cards nominated.

Since this is dragging a bit, we'll start the cutting process while finishing the land nominations.
Treamayne wrote:
4 years ago
[*]When we get to cuts, people will nominate a card to cut, and if it receives 5 3 votes within 24 hours, it's gone (until we are at 99 - I edited the number of votes needed to make a cut because participation has flagged; I'll also remove the timing, and we'll just keep a running log but each person can only vote for a specific card once)
[*]When cutting, you may post 1 nomination and 1 vote each day (they do not have to be the same post - but you can edit until I tally that day's votes)
My intention is to start by cutting in sections, then open to "any non-land" and once we have the 59 non-land we'll check the color ratio and density and use that to cut lands down to 40 (unless we get nomination and concurrence for a different final land count).
Sections will be:
  • 3 Creatures
  • 5 from among Enchantments, Artifacts, and Planeswalkers
  • 1 from among Instants and Sorceries
    We should now be at: 30 Creatures, 15 Spells, 20 Other
  • 6 Non-Lands
    We should now be at 59 of 99
  • Cut lands until we are at 40
Should a different land count be suggested and supported, we'll adjust the "non-land" portion accordingly.

So we are open to nominations for cutting creatures.
V/R

Treamayne

Segrus
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

If I had to nominate any creature to cut, I think I'd have to nominate Slumbering Dragon. This seems like it should be the deck for it, but ultimately it just feels like a dumb beater. Early game it could be nice until it gets hit with first sweeper; late game is possibly far too late to be useful. It doesn't look like we have a strong +1/+1 counter theme to help move the dragon along, which would be a good reason to reconsider.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 4 years ago

I'll nominate Grenzo, Havoc Raiser as a creature to cut. On paper, goad is a cool ability and very powerful. However, in this deck, we also want people to attack us....and goad prevents that unless you're 1v1. Because goad doesn't accomplish our goals AND requires a creature to connect to trigger, and the fact that he's got double pips in his cost yet you likely want him relatively early in a game, I think he should get the axe.

I'll nominate the other half of the checklands to add to the list in the interest of completeness.

Sinis

I nominate Pramikon, Sky Rampart to be cut.

Here's my reasoning: If you control the direction of attack, you will never be able to claim vengeance with O-Kagachi. You will always be incapable of attacking the person who attacks you. It can be cute with some of the forced-attack strategy, but it's an absolute non-bo with our general.

Henlock

I will nominate Seasoned Pyromancer . It doesn't add to our theme and its double red will make it more unlikely to be consistently hitting the table early.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

I nominate the cut for Courtly Provocateur.

We have 3 creatures that give us Monarch, 5 creatures that cause everything to attack, and 3 creatures that make specific creatures attack. Of this list, Courtly Provocateur seems the weak link. She doesn't specify where the creature attacks, and if we have any mass "must attack" out, she's a horribly inefficient 3cmc 1/1 that swings into death. Alluring Siren also suffers from the latter issue, but she costs less and has the extremely relevant specification of the target attacking us.

I vote+1 on the cut for Pramikon.

I get where darrenhabib was going with it, but it explicitly turns off O-Kagachi's ability. If we had some way to bounce it, eot flicker it, etc, we could make the table swing at each other, take heat from only one person, and then swing back with O-Kagachi. But as it stands, the deck we built has focused on drawing aggro, and this breaks all of that.

That said, I think Grenzo, Havoc Raiser does work with O-Kagachi, pretty well even. We want to draw some aggro, but not all the aggro. Grenzo's ability hits specific creatures — ie the big nasties that we don't want swinging at us. We have quite a few ways to ensure creatures attack, and Grenzo is a nice way to then filter that list to remove the things we want to go elsewhere instead. And if that doesn't apply this turn, we can still exile several cards to see if there's anything we want to cast (which is great when we're running all five colors).

I nominate to add Verdant Catacombs and friends.
With the triomes, being able to fetch is a great way to ensure we get the colors we need. IF the enemy fetchlands are outside of budget, I nominate the cheaper Grasslands cycle instead. Even if it's slower, it's still good color fixing, and we've got 5 colors with several two-symbol cards.

(Also, apologies for Staff of Domination. I totally missed the anti-combo clause) >_<
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

KMA_Again

Post by KMA_Again » 4 years ago

Skyline Despot
When we don't have Monarch, it is just a 7 mana 5/5 flyer. It's very expensive for what it does, as you have to be able to keep the Monarch an entire go around the table to get its advantage unlike Custodi Lich which wants you to repeatedly become the Monarch.

Treamayne

Day 16

Now accepting nominations to cut: Creatures

Show
Hide
O-Kagachi Day 16.jpg
Deck List
Show
Hide
O-Kagachi Group Think

Planeswalkers (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

Colorless13231.77
White22251.14
Blue17211.24
Black13161.23
Red25361.44
Green22241.10

Treamayne wrote:
4 years ago
[*]When we get to cuts, people will nominate a card to cut, and if it receives 5 3 votes within 24 hours, it's gone (until we are at 99 - I edited the number of votes needed to make a cut because participation has flagged; I'll also remove the timing, and we'll just keep a running log but each person can only vote for a specific card once)
[*]When cutting, you may post 1 nomination and 1 vote each day (they do not have to be the same post - but you can edit until I tally that day's votes)
My intention is to start by cutting in sections, then open to "any non-land" and once we have the 59 non-land we'll check the color ratio and density and use that to cut lands down to 40 (unless we get nomination and concurrence for a different final land count).
Sections will be:
  • 3 Creatures
  • 6 Non-Lands
Should a different land count be suggested and supported, we'll adjust the "non-land" portion accordingly.

So we are open to nominations for cutting creatures.
Outcryqq wrote:
4 years ago
I'll nominate the other half of the checklands to add to the list in the interest of completeness.
Added
Feyd_Ruin wrote:
4 years ago
(Also, apologies for Staff of Domination. I totally missed the anti-combo clause) >_<
No worries, wasn't a combo until we had a list (unless you had nominated both sides of the combo).
Feyd_Ruin wrote:
4 years ago
I nominate to add Verdant Catacombs and friends.
With the triomes, being able to fetch is a great way to ensure we get the colors we need. IF the enemy fetchlands are outside of budget, I nominate the cheaper Grasslands cycle instead. Even if it's slower, it's still good color fixing, and we've got 5 colors with several two-symbol cards.
Added. Though they don't do much in this build. The only non-basic with a land subtype besides the Triomes is Murmuring Bosk. I was actually rather surprised nobody nominated ABUR Duals (it is MTGO after all, they are on par than fetches - e.g. Misty Rainforest 18-33 Tix - depending on set, Tropical Island 9-16 Tix - depending on set).

I've been on MTGO so long, I think I can count on my fingers the number of lands for which I don't have at least 1 copy in my collection.
V/R

Treamayne

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

Treamayne wrote:
4 years ago
No worries, wasn't a combo until we had a list (unless you had nominated both sides of the combo).
I did actually. Oops. Honestly just either missed or forgot about the combo qualifier in the initial writeup. But as I said when I nominated Staff, I was fine with it being cut if anyone had an issue with combo (which includes you lol)
Treamayne wrote:
4 years ago
I was actually rather surprised nobody nominated ABUR Duals
DOH! I honestly just forgot they're not crazy expensive on mtgo. (I did try to keep your wallet in mind with nominations). Can I retroactively nominate them? lol >_<

I guess I'll vote Slumbering Dragon just to move the process along.
I don't see any other creatures I want to nominate, and Slumbering is the only creature on the list I don't mind seeing gone outside of what I've nominated/voted for already.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Maluko
Answers: 1

Post by Maluko » 4 years ago

I would definitively cut Slumbering Dragon and Pramikon, Sky Rampart. I've tested Slumbering Dragon before in Thantis, the Warweaver.cmd, to see if I could make it work, and... yeah, it just sucks. It will die long before you can start attacking or blocking with it. "Forced combat" is definitively not a good strategy to make good use of the dragon. I would cut Pramikon for the same reasons @Sinis already discussed.

Treamayne

Maluko wrote:
4 years ago
I would definitively cut Slumbering Dragon and Pramikon, Sky Rampart. I've tested Slumbering Dragon before in Thantis, the Warweaver.cmd, to see if I could make it work, and... yeah, it just sucks. It will die long before you can start attacking or blocking with it. "Forced combat" is definitively not a good strategy to make good use of the dragon. I would cut Pramikon for the same reasons Sinis already discussed.
So, is your vote for the dragon or the wall? Both will only need one more vote to get the ax.
V/R

Treamayne

Maluko
Answers: 1

Post by Maluko » 4 years ago

I vote for the dragon first, and the wall second.

Segrus

Since it looks like Pramikon is toast now, I'll give a second vote to Courtly Provocateur. Pramikon getting cut makes total sense. The Provocateur I'm somewhat less sure about, but it makes enough sense to me.

Treamayne

We are open to voting for cutting creatures (1 remains) and nominations for cutting artifacts, enchantments, and/or planeswalkers (need to cut 5):

3 Votes - Pramikon, Sky Rampart
3 Votes - Slumbering Dragon
V/R

Treamayne

Segrus

Treamayne wrote:
4 years ago
We are open to...nominations for cutting artifacts, enchantments, and/or planeswalkers (need to cut 5)
In the spirit of Pramikon, I'll nominate Mystic Barrier to be cut.

Sinis

+1 on Mystic Barrier getting the axe. Edit: Treamayne makes a very good point, here.

I'll nominate Prismatic Omen for a cut. I'm not sure it's doing anything for our list; we don't have Last Stand or anything like that, so there's nothing too exciting other than mana fixing, which I don't think we'll need badly enough to run this.
Last edited by Sinis 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

KMA_Again

Post by KMA_Again » 4 years ago

Mystic Barrier makes sense if we're not going to go with the wall either.

Treamayne

KMA_Again wrote:
4 years ago
Mystic Barrier makes sense if we're not going to go with the wall either.
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
+1 on Mystic Barrier getting the axe.
Not voting on NLNC Permanents until creatures close out. That said, keep in mind one of the arguments against Pramikon, Sky Rampart was that you need flicker effects to change the direction. Mystic Barrier can change each upkeep natively. I'm not saying you should or should not vote for it to get cut, just pointing out that the two are not quite the same.

Day 17 & 18

Now nominating to cut: Artifacts, Enchantments and/or Planeswalkers
Now voting to cut: Creatures

Treamayne wrote:
4 years ago
Sections will be:
  • 3 1 Creature(s)
  • 6 Non-Lands

3 Votes - Pramikon, Sky Rampart
3 Votes - Slumbering Dragon
V/R

Treamayne

Henlock

~'m not quite sure as to what nominate, but I'd cut Skyline Despot rather than Courtly Provocateur. While I do like the tension between the monarchy and O-kagachi, I don't think we can be in control of not getting hit for a whole round very often. The provocateue can help.use remove stuff tjrough forced blocking and allows us the minimal effect needed to turn O-kagachi. So I'm voting the despot.

On nc/nl, I would nominate both Sarkhan Unbroken and Mu Yanling, they both have nice abilities, and Mu Yanglin's Ultimate can really give us the game, but the issue here is that they can divert off our incomming attackers to themselves and render lots of our effects irrelevant. I know I can't nominate two cards in one go, so I'll choose Sarkhan Unbroken as my first nominee.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”