Group Think: O-Kagachi

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

I hate to be the boring guy, but, Sakura-Tribe Elder. We're going to need ramp to get to midrange.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

With all this forced attacking, the "problem" is that it still doesn't direct traffic at you, only Alluring Siren specifically does that.

So Pramikon, Sky Rampart allows you to control somewhat where creatures attack.

For example if opponents have amassed an army of Hydras, you don't actually want them all coming in at you when O-Kagachi can only get rid of one of those attackers.

But Pramikon, Sky Rampart also allows you to make the opponent next to you attack you and they might only have weak ultilty creatures.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

Knights of the Black Rose to keep the monarch subtheme going.
Monarch is a strong method to encourage attacking, but also giving you benefit if they don't.

EDIT:
Just realized Knights of the Black Rose was CN2 and thus not on MTGO.
So I'll go for Custodi Lich instead. Right off the bat, it's a kill+draw, and as we get these players to swing at us, our swings back gives even more benefit and board control.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Adding to the 'boring but practical' pile: Bloom Tender.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 4 years ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
4 years ago
EDIT:
Just realized Knights of the Black Rose was CN2 and thus not on MTGO.
So I'll go for Custodi Lich instead. Right off the bat, it's a kill+draw, and as we get these players to swing at us, our swings back gives even more benefit and board control.
Knights is indeed missing from MTGO, but I just want to note for the group:

MTGO isn't missing all of Conspiracy, Conspiracy 2, Battlebond, etc. However, MTGO also did not receive all of those sets, either. Custodi Lich added.
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
I hate to be the boring guy, but, Sakura-Tribe Elder. We're going to need ramp to get to midrange.
That was already nominated (actually, the very first nomination - see below)

Summaries of what has already been nominated can be found in the first and second post, as well as the most recent daily wrap-up.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Outcryqq wrote:
4 years ago
We will need mana fixing. While boring, I'll nominate Sakura-Tribe Elder. If we have respectable fixing that will allow us to get greedy with the threats later on.
V/R

Treamayne

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 4 years ago

Treamayne wrote:
4 years ago
  • Mid-range to Stompy Archetype (Possible Voltron back-up plan)
I nominate Pathbreaker Ibex.

Sinis

Treamayne wrote:
4 years ago
That was already nominated (actually, the very first nomination - see below)

Summaries of what has already been nominated can be found in the first and second post, as well as the most recent daily wrap-up.
Oof. Okay,

How about Solemn Simulacrum?

Treamayne

Day 3
23 creatures so far.
Last edited by Treamayne 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
V/R

Treamayne

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Wall of Reverence.
Not usually a fan of this outside of control, but I feel like it fits anyways. Looks like we've done a lot to draw aggro, but we need to make sure we can regain some of the life we'll lose from it, as well as Wall what we can. 3-6 life a turn should help us out a bit, as will being able to block mid range critters (we don't even actually need them to damage us, just attack).
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Magiqmaster

Post by Magiqmaster » 4 years ago

Gotta suggest Jegantha, the Wellspring. As a companion, or in the 99?

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

This might be a weird choice, but maybe Ranging Raptors could fit in here? I was thinking of other possible ramp cards and this could fit into the running theme. Maybe it gets the cuts later for only being tangentially related or not having enough direct support to be worth it.

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

We have a lot of 4-drops, we have a bunch of tap abilities, and we've even got a potential multicolour theme. Kiora's Follower seems like a good fit.
"Image"

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Magiqmaster wrote:
4 years ago
Gotta suggest Jegantha, the Wellspring. As a companion, or in the 99?
We'd have to cut like 8 cards, but still good in the 99 - helps ensure T6 O-Kagachi and also allow us to easily cast it after it dies a few times, and enables other nonsense.

--------
I suggest Niv-Mizzet Reborn; it only hits 10 cards so far but is a spicy inclusion alongside Bloom Tender, Knight of New Alara, and Faeburow Elder and one we can easily keep in mind as we select our instant and sorcery composition.

Sinis

Since my attempt to nominate is ~24 hours ago, I'll throw in another suggestion.

Bastion Protector

This card does two things: First, it hardens O-Kagachi against removal which we'll need if we want to punish people for stealing Monarch, or otherwise falling for our bait. Second, it makes our general a three turn clock instead of four.

Treamayne

Day 4
Now accepting nominations for: Creatures and other Non-Land Permanents

Last edited by Treamayne 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
V/R

Treamayne

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Blind Obedience
We want to bait aggro, but we need to know what's coming (ie: no haste), and have as much time to adjust as possible. The slower we make our opponents, the better we can control everything. We also need more lifegain to offset the aggro we draw, and extort could easily give us (3?) life per spell.

KMA_Again

Post by KMA_Again » 4 years ago

Vigilance would be good for our commander to strike and defend too. However, after talking up how good it is in the random thread, going to suggest Mirage Mirror .

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Adding to the 'come at me, bro!' pile: Trove of Temptation.

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

I'll continue down a similar path as my last suggestion with Unbender Tine.
"Image"

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Let's get the boring stuff out the way and add Sol Ring - while it "only" ramps us to a turn 5 O-Kagachi due to the strict color requirements, we have a lot of very expensive cards and a few untapper effects.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

I will nominate Footfall Crater. Trample and haste are both very good for us, and it comes quite cheap. Also, the fact that you can give haste to any hatebear/value creature inadvertently cast before combat and make it attack into its death seems pretty sweet. Giving trample to a large chumpblocked creature of an opponent will help us to get there damage-wise. The cycling might even help a bit if we are trying to dig into something.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

In the same vein as suggesting Pramikon, Sky Rampart, Mystic Barrier is another card that can help you direct where creatures attack.
One of my favorite commander cards of all-time, highly underused and underrated card in casual play.

The thing with O-Kagachi at the helm is that it is 6 mana to cast, so its not actually all about using its ability to destroy permanents. But the deck does have a lot of forced attacking, so most of the time the game is going to come down to if forcing attacks, making sure that you can defend or steer attacks elsewhere.

So my suggestions for potential includes is that the deck still needs support in defending yourself, however that maybe.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Crawlspace
Thinking on darrenhabib's comment above, I realized how great this would be in here. We have cards that direct specific creatures to attack, and cards that direct all creatures to attack. Crawlspace helps with both, giving us a lot of control about how someone aggros us, and/or forcing a lot of aggro elsewhere, as well as just giving a general "anti-horde".

Sinis

I would like to suggest Domineering Will. You can steal some blockers to help protect yourself. Alternatively, if they attack elsewhere, you can ruin combat math.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”