NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 6 months ago

oh i had a card idea too

National Treasure Hunt 2UR
Sorcery {M}
Starting with you, each player may sacrifice any number of Map tokens. Then, each player who sacrificed a token this way discards their hand, draws X cards, where X is the total number of tokens players sacrificed this way, and creates X treasure tokens.

IIW: More collaborative cards (like this or otherwise).
MEG

chetoos
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by chetoos » 6 months ago

Megiddo wrote:
6 months ago
oh i had a card idea too

Sorcery {M}
Starting with you, each player may sacrifice any number of Map tokens. Then, each player who sacrificed a token this way discards their hand, draws X cards, where X is the total number of tokens players sacrificed this way, and creates X treasure tokens.

Are they trying to steal the declaration of indinopendence?

Megiddo
MEG

maybe 👀
MEG

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 6 months ago

Skyclave Cartographer 2WW
Creature - Kor Scout
Vigilance
Landfall — When Skyclave Cartographer or a land enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1. If that land is a Plains, create a Map token instead.
3, Sacrifice three Map tokens: Search your library for a Plains card, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle. Activate only if an opponent controls more lands than you.
2/2

IIW: multicolor Angel commanders

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 6 months ago

Enthusiastic Cartographer
{R}{G}
Creature - Human Scout Ally (U)
Landfall -Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Enthusiastic Cartographer explores
2/2
"The ravines west of the Teeth of Akoum rearranged themselves again? I'm on it!"

IIW: Dinosaur
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Megiddo
MEG

Cachehoarder Squirrel 2GG
Creature — Squirrel {U}
Whenever a creature you control explores a land card, you get .
Whenever Cachehoarder Squirrel attacks, you may pay . If you do, put up to one target card from your graveyard on top of your library.
"We're still squirreling those nuts."
3/3

IIW: bloomburrow (or, animals with jobs)
MEG

chetoos

Post by chetoos » 5 months ago

Does @Cythare know that it's their turn to judge?

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 5 months ago

Delayed due to driving after the holiday!
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
6 months ago
Merfolk Cartographer
1{U}
Creature - Merfolk Scout (C)
When Merfolk Cartographer enters the battlefield, it explores.
1/1
==========
Draw a Map
{U}
Sorcery - Adventure
Surveil 2.
Create a Map token.

Stalking Jaguar
1{G}
Creature - Cat (U)
Whenever another creature explores, Stalking Jaguar explores. This ability triggers only once per turn.
2/1

Extremely Lost Goblin
2{R}
Creature - Goblin (U)
When Extremely Lost Goblin enters the battlefield, create two tapped Map tokens.
Extremely Lost Goblin can't explore.
3/2
"What is this 'map' you speak of?"

The rate on surveiling 2 and getting a map on a common adventure feels a bit high, especially with the ETB explore.

Stalking Jaguar feels like a good rate. The consistency to know you can get a counter if you leave the card on top from the previous Explore will make this a little more consistent than the average explore, but I think that's ok on a 2/1 for 2 at uncommon.

I'm not sold on the rate of Extremely Lost Goblin. I feel like it could be pushed slightly more, but two Maps in an aggressive deck is pretty decent.
chetoos wrote:
6 months ago
Sanguine Cartographer 2b
Creature - Vampire Scout
When Sanguine Cartographer enters the battlefield, create a map token.
Whenever one or more other creatures die, create a blood token. This ability only triggers once each turn.
Blood you control are maps in addition to their other types, and have (map ability)
When they reached the bounds of their current map, Victore's magic was greatly appreciated by all but one.
3/2

IIW: In addition to their other types
I like the flavor here, but am a little mixed on the mechanical application. It might feel a little more cohesive if it just created a Blood on ETB instead of a regular Map? Is this an uncommon? The rate feels like it would be.

Also, Blood is a type, so this should say "Bloods you control".
Megiddo wrote:
6 months ago
oh i had a card idea too

Sorcery {M}

This feels like a Join forces card from the original Commander product. I both like and dislike that you have to buy in to participate - you can contribute just 1 Map and ride others' coattails for a wheel and mana. In practice this is likely going to mostly benefit you, since Maps aren't exactly going to be common at the table except in a Limited setting, where you may have to be careful here).
lookingupanddown wrote:
6 months ago
Skyclave Cartographer 2WW
Creature - Kor Scout
Vigilance
Landfall — When Skyclave Cartographer or a land enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1. If that land is a Plains, create a Map token instead.
3, Sacrifice three Map tokens: Search your library for a Plains card, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle. Activate only if an opponent controls more lands than you.
2/2

IIW: multicolor Angel commanders
Getting one of the three Maps back every time from the activated ability feels a bit weird to me, as does using this to break the sorcery-speed restriction on Maps. I do like the restriction on the activated ability, though, and I like the triggered ability too.
6 months ago
Enthusiastic Cartographer
{R}{G}
Creature - Human Scout Ally (U)
Landfall -Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Enthusiastic Cartographer explores
2/2
"The ravines west of the Teeth of Akoum rearranged themselves again? I'm on it!"

This is a nice, clean uncommon 2-drop, which I'm a sucker for.
Megiddo wrote:
6 months ago
Cachehoarder Squirrel 2GG
Creature — Squirrel {U}
Whenever a creature you control explores a land card, you get .
Whenever Cachehoarder Squirrel attacks, you may pay . If you do, put up to one target card from your graveyard on top of your library.
"We're still squirreling those nuts."
3/3

IIW: bloomburrow (or, animals with jobs)
This is a good use of "explores a <thing>", and I like that it can feed itself by putting a land on top, even if not at the best rate if you just have 1. Having to attack ensures an additional interaction point, which I appreciate!

HM: Sporegorger_Dragon for Enthusiastic Cartographer
Winner: Megiddo for Cachehoarder Squirrel
Next: Bloomburrow (or, animals with jobs)
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

chetoos

Larry, Squirrel Salary-man GW
Art: Larry, from pokemon scarlet and violet, but as a squirrel
Legendary Creature - Squirrel Citizen
Exalted
Whenever a creature you control with flying attacks alone, create a treasure token.
1/1

IIW: In addition to their/its other types
Last edited by chetoos 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Evangel of the Shadow Swarm 1BR
Creature — Rat Cleric (R)
Battle cry
Whenever Evangel of the Shadow Swarm or another nontoken Rat enters the battlefield under your control, create a 1/1 black Rat creature token with "This creature can't block." This ability triggers only once each turn.
3/1

Hoofed Healer 1GW
Creature — Sheep Doctor (M)
Whenever Hoofed Healer enters the battlefield or attacks, create a Food token.
Sacrifice two Foods: Another target creature without a finality counter on it gains hexproof and indestructible until end of turn. Put a finality counter on it. (If a creature with a finality counter on it would die, exile it instead.)
3/3

IIW: Finality counters
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

chetoos

@Megiddo judge?

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 5 months ago

tomorrow i will judge
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 5 months ago

Mole Miner
1{R}{R}
Creature - Mole Worker (U)
When Mole Miner enters the battlefield, mill three cards. If one or more land cards are milled this way, create a tapped Treasure token.
3/2
They're capable of identifying precious ores by touch alone.

Foaming Barber
2{U}
Creature - Crab Citizen (C)
2, {T}: Target creature gets -2/-0 until end of turn.
2/1
"A little off the top?"

Fiddling Fiddler Crab
3{U}
Creature - Crab Bard (U)
{T}: Other creatures you control gain vigilance until end of turn.
2{U}, {T}: Goad target creature.
2/2

chetoos

I know everyone hates digital cards, but this idea seemed too good to pass up

Also, mobile right now, so details might get left out for now

Bugs Bunny, shifting trickster 2r
Legendary creature - rabbit wizard
Specialize
When bugs enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. You may play that card this turn.
You may discard cards you can play from exile as though they were in your hand.
2/2
//
Brunhilde, shining Valkyrie 2rw
Legendary creature - angel rabbit warrior
When this creature attacks, you may pay . If you do, it gains horsemanship until end of turn.
When this enters the battlefield or specializes, and at the beginning of your upkeep, return target creature card with mana value 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step
3/3
//
The genie of the lamp, light brown hare 2ur
Legendary creature - rabbit djinn wizard
When this creature enters the battlefield or specializes, and at the beginning of your upkeep. You may have target player gain control of target treasure they don't control. When you do, target creature you control can't be blocked this turn.
On hit, make a treasure
3/3
//
The barber of Seville 2br
Rabbit citizen
Etbs specialize or upkeep: -2/-2
First strike, reach
3/3
//
Leopold, vengeful conductor 2rr
Rabbit bard
Etbs, specialize or upkeep: goad each creature that deal combat damage to you or a permanent you control since your last turn
If damage to a goaded creature, +2 damage instead
3/3
//
Bugs Bunny, game warden 2rg
Rabbit ranger
Duck season: on etb specialize or upkeep, you may choose a creature type other than rabbit
Whenever a creature of the chosen type dies, draw a card
spells you cast that target a creature of the chosen type cost less to cast.
3/3

Iiw: more looney tunes
Last edited by chetoos 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Megiddo
MEG

space jam secret lair incoming
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 5 months ago

Everybody get up it's time to slam now
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Megiddo
MEG

I'm just sitting here so I'll do this now.
chetoos wrote:
5 months ago
Larry, Squirrel Salary-man GW
Art: Larry, from pokemon scarlet and violet, but as a squirrel
Legendary Creature - Squirrel Citizen
Exalted
Whenever a creature you control with flying attacks alone, create a treasure token.
1/1

IIW: In addition to their/its other types
Very literal interpretation. I don't mind it really; cards representing the "background characters" was something we got a taste of in Ravnica and then more of in Capenna. I think it's a good way to add texture to a plane on top of the fighting, monsters, and fighting monsters we usually get. No complaints here regarding the card (I did have to look up Larry, by which I mean clicking the link you included, as I haven't played a Pokemon game since X/Y—side note, that move to 3D and that game generally killed the franchise for me—but the flavor works for me on that level). In 2023 I do think he could be a 1/2 or even a 2/2, though.
Cythare wrote:
5 months ago
Evangel of the Shadow Swarm 1BR
Creature — Rat Cleric (R)
Battle cry
Whenever Evangel of the Shadow Swarm or another nontoken Rat enters the battlefield under your control, create a 1/1 black Rat creature token with "This creature can't block." This ability triggers only once each turn.
3/1

Hoofed Healer 1GW
Creature — Sheep Doctor (M)
Whenever Hoofed Healer enters the battlefield or attacks, create a Food token.
Sacrifice two Foods: Another target creature without a finality counter on it gains hexproof and indestructible until end of turn. Put a finality counter on it. (If a creature with a finality counter on it would die, exile it instead.)
3/3

On the first one, good idea to use the same tokens as we just had in Eldraine. That kind of continuity is nice, and I think something that I saw mention would be done more often. I had to look up whether Bloomburrow and Eldraine would be in standard together, but given how long rotation is now I think Eldraine will be in standard until we get our sixth return to Ravnica, so I think we're good there. With another "cameo" appearance of Battle Cry as well this feels like a very small-caps modern card. Though, wait a second, Ashcoat of the Shadow Swarm is from Kamigawa? This is either an oversight on my part, your part, or a cross-plane Omenpath situation. Let's be kind to ourselves and go with the Omenpath thing.
I'm not sure I want my doctors to have hooves rather than fingers; perhaps leave the fine motor skill tasks to the raccoonfolk. Side note, when will we get our first Ph.D. creature depicted on a card? Does Strixhaven have a graduate school? I didn't read the abilities of this card yet, I'm sorry. I like this second ability. Save the creature now, but you lose it forever later. Do sheep have souls?
5 months ago
Mole Miner 1{R}{R}
Creature - Mole Worker (U)
When Mole Miner enters the battlefield, mill three cards. If one or more land cards are milled this way, create a tapped Treasure token.
3/2
They're capable of identifying precious ores by touch alone.

Foaming Barber 2{U}
Creature - Crab Citizen (C)
2, {T}: Target creature gets -2/-0 until end of turn.
2/1
"A little off the top?"

Fiddling Fiddler Crab 3{U}
Creature - Crab Bard (U)
{T}: Other creatures you control gain vigilance until end of turn.
2{U}, {T}: Goad target creature.
2/2

Mole: I had to check, but do you know how many mono-red cards have the word "mill" on them? Seven. Now, that's doing a lot better than white's one (Tazri, Stalwart Survivor does not count), but it's still lower than I expected. I don't think this is disqualifying, obviously, I was just surprised. I'd want to see more of this set / the red slice of it before really judging this card. This being marked as an uncommon is really the curiosity for me. How often is this better than Plundering Pirate (a common), for example? At two red pips even? With that making it difficult to splash plus having milling be the only guaranteed effect of this card (compare the Tomakul Scrapsmith cycle), I have to conclude that red in this imagined set really values milling, a thing it typically does not do. Intriguing card to try and read the tea leaves on.
Had to google "crab foaming" but that all checks out (there's a pun there, of course). Seems like a reasonable common to me, if a bit overpriced for the stats.
Re, the fiddler, I want to say that this is both undercosted and in the wrong color; it should be white. I also want it to be a Twiddle effect for the rhyme value, but that's just me.
chetoos wrote:
5 months ago
Bugs Bunny, shifting trickster 2r
Legendary creature - rabbit wizard
Specialize
When bugs enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. You may play that card this turn.
You may discard cards you can play from exile as though they were in your hand.
2/2
//
Brunhilde, shining Valkyrie 2rw
Legendary creature - angel rabbit warrior
When this creature attacks, you may pay . If you do, it gains horsemanship until end of turn.
When this enters the battlefield or specializes, and at the beginning of your upkeep, return target creature card with mana value 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step
3/3
//
The genie of the lamp, light brown hare 2ur
Legendary creature - rabbit djinn wizard
On etbs, specialize, or upkeep, give a player any treasure, and one of your creatures can't be blocked this turn
On hit, make a treasure
3/3
//
The barber of Seville 2br
Rabbit citizen
Etbs specialize or upkeep: -2/-2
First strike, reach
3/3
//
Leopold, vengeful conductor 2rr
Rabbit bard
Etbs, specialize or upkeep: goad each creature that deal combat damage to you or a permanent you control since your last turn
If damage to a goaded creature, +2 damage instead
3/3
//
Bugs Bunny, game warden 2rg
Rabbit ranger
Duck season: on etb specialize or upkeep, you may choose a creature type other than rabbit
Whenever a creature of the chosen type dies, draw a card
spells you cast that target a creature of the chosen type cost less to cast.
3/3

Iiw: more looney tunes
I'll spare us all a long digression on digital cards and just get to this card (short version: I don't mind them in principle and in fact have designed many myself, but inserting them into the Magic ecosystem is tricky and I don't think it's been done well to date). Specialize is NOT my favorite digital mechanic but I agree that it is a good fit here. I gotta tell you though, I'm never specializing this since Outpost Siege for three mana that can attack and gives me immediate value is insane. I just want that free card every turn. It also has another ability that's even more bonkers I think, lol. Good effort to make a lot of flavorful interpretations of the many variations of Bugs though. I enjoyed it.

Winner: Sporegorger_Dragon on the condition that you tell me what role you envision that Mole having in its set.
Next: Dinosaur
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 5 months ago

Megiddo wrote:
5 months ago
Winner: Sporegorger_Dragon on the condition that you tell me what role you envision that Mole having in its set.
Actually had descend on the mind. Perhaps I'm a little too cautious with creatures that ETB with a Treasure; perhaps upping the mill to 4 and making the red a single pip would have been better.
Megiddo wrote:
5 months ago
Re, the fiddler, I want to say that this is both undercosted and in the wrong color; it should be white. I also want it to be a Twiddle effect for the rhyme value, but that's just me.
Isn't vigilance secondary in blue now? I wanted it to untap things, but didn't want two of these just untapping each other, I felt that vigilance (in this case) was like reverse exerting, or preemptive untapping.

chetoos

Itzquinth, fully grown 3RG
Legendary Creature - Dinosaur
Vigilance, Trample
Whenever a dinosaur enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay . When you do, that creature fights target creature you don't control.
Each other dinosaur you control that's been damaged this turn has vigilance and trample
5/5

IIW: Craft with _____

Post by avatarz » 5 months ago

Exhumation Site G
Artifact – Fortification (R)
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may attach it to target land you control.
Whenever fortified land is tapped for mana, its controller adds an additional C.
Whenever fortified land becomes tapped, create a Bone token. (It's an artifact with: "T, Sacrifice X Bones: Create a X/X colorless Dinosaur Skeleton token with trample. Activate only as a sorcery.")
Fortify 3

IIW: Equipment/Creature → Fortification/Land → ???/???

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Hexed Howdah 3
Artifact — Equipment Vehicle (U)
Menace
Equipped creature has menace.
Whenever Hexed Howdah or equipped creature attack, another target attacking creature with less power can't be blocked this turn.
Crew—Tap an untapped creature you control.
Equip to Dinosaur 2
3/1

Level 2 Judge circa 2016

chetoos

Bones of Zacama
Legendary artifact
: add 2 mana in any combination of colors. Spend this mana only to cast a dinosaur spell or activate abilities of a dinosaur source.
Whenever you cast a dinosaur spell, gain 2 life if w was spent to cast it. It etbs with an additional 1/1 counter if g was spent to cast it, and shock a creature or Planeswalker if r was spent to cast it
Savior of Orazca. Her roar slew 1000 phyrexians with it's first sound - inscription above the grave

Iiw: Craft with _____

chetoos

This isn't for the current contest, but I wanna design a bugs bunny planeswalker card.

Bugs Bunny, Master of disguise 4ur
Legendary Planeswalker - Bugs Toon
Toon spells you cast cost less to cast.
+2 - You may have Bugs Bunny become a copy of a random creature card in your graveyard in addition to its other types, and gains indestructible and "Prevent all damage that would be dealt to this creature by non-toon sources." (Ruling: you choose if you're going to do this, then you randomly pick a card. No backing out once you see the card)
-4 - Duck amuck The owner of target permanent shuffles it into their library, then reveals the top 5 cards of their library. You choose a permanent card from among the revealed cards. They put it onto the battlefield.
-10 - Search your library for 3 non-planeswalker toon cards and reveal them. Put all land cards revealed this way onto the battlefield, then cast all other cards without paying their mana cost.

New Subtype: Toon. Goes on any card type.

Megiddo
MEG

I had a vision of a dinosaur pilot from some other plane that has acquired a humanoid Kamigawan mech and taken it to Ixalan to beat up on the Sun Empire for the grave insult of riding on his kin (sort of like how I imagine the Nacatl would view the Leotau mounts in Bant). Haven't gotten a card idea out yet though... we'll see.
MEG

chetoos

Megiddo wrote:
5 months ago
I had a vision of a dinosaur pilot from some other plane that has acquired a humanoid Kamigawan mech and taken it to Ixalan to beat up on the Sun Empire for the grave insult of riding on his kin (sort of like how I imagine the Nacatl would view the Leotau mounts in Bant). Haven't gotten a card idea out yet though... we'll see.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”