@mtgnexus Community Deck Project v10.0

MrBloo
Pronoun: he / him

Post by MrBloo » 6 months ago

I could have sworn that card was already in the deck. Yay on that.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 6 months ago

Looks like 3sphere got confirmed over the holiday, and I can be the confirmation on warping wail. Such a great card that I was going to eventually get to. I am unsure on Rise of the Eldrazi. Obviously it's powerful and if any deck is equipped to slam a 12mv spell, it's colourless. But can we? And, if we can, is it necessary? How often do we draw this and it's stranded in hand because twelve really is a ton, even in colourless. Like, I think it's still correct to play it, but I'm not convinced it's a slam dunk and I want to generate discussion around it.

On the clock today will be @toctheyounger and @aliciaofthevast.

Rise of the Eldrazi yay - 1 nay - 0

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/K7V2la-2pkOuDI-9o2NolA
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 6 months ago

It's weird, in an age of stats creep, for the cost Rise doesn't feel like it does enough. Four cards is fine and so is vindicate, but for the cost idk. That said we're here for the extra turn, so I'll yea it. It's not like we're playing fair to get that far in mana.

I'm gonna nominate Nim Deathmantle. I'm not sure it's a lock, but with Ashnod's it feels like there could be some combo potential there.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 6 months ago

I like Deathmantle if we're on Su-Chi/Cathodion (I think su-chi is out of budget right?) otherwise what else are we using it for? Giving colorless creatures intimidate and then adding a color is worse than, say, just giving them an Executioner's Hood. So I think this has to be a nay as presented right?

Rise of the Eldrazi looks fun and splashy and I bet I'd have a ton of fun resolving that card, so yayyy!

I think I need a card, hmm. We have two wipes and there's some spot removal I could do. But I think we wanna draw cards early right? So I'm gonna nominate Endless Atlas.

3drinks

toctheyounger wrote:
6 months ago
It's weird, in an age of stats creep, for the cost Rise doesn't feel like it does enough. Four cards is fine and so is vindicate, but for the cost idk. That said we're here for the extra turn, so I'll yea it. It's not like we're playing fair to get that far in mana.

I'm gonna nominate Nim Deathmantle. I'm not sure it's a lock, but with Ashnod's it feels like there could be some combo potential there.

I see it like, at baseline, Tidings is a vanilla draw4 for 3uu, and a clean destroy target permanent is firmly at 1wb. Time Warp of course is at 3uu. All in all we're getting 7WUUUUB for 9CCC. I guess that's actually fine, right? Mathematically I think I'd have to yay this.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

toctheyounger

aliciaofthevast wrote:
6 months ago
I like Deathmantle if we're on Su-Chi/Cathodion (I think su-chi is out of budget right?) otherwise what else are we using it for? Giving colorless creatures intimidate and then adding a color is worse than, say, just giving them an Executioner's Hood. So I think this has to be a nay as presented right?

Rise of the Eldrazi looks fun and splashy and I bet I'd have a ton of fun resolving that card, so yayyy!

I think I need a card, hmm. We have two wipes and there's some spot removal I could do. But I think we wanna draw cards early right? So I'm gonna nominate Endless Atlas.
Yea Atlas.

As for the mantle I was envisioning sac loops. If we end up on Hangar back it loops with Ashnod's Altar just fine. I'm sure there's other stuff we could do with it, I just don't have the spare time to figure it out. 2 children is hard.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 6 months ago

Nay Rise of the Eldrazi. It costs 12 mana. Expropriate costs 9.

Yea Nim Deathmantle and Endless Atlas. Deathmantle is a strong combo piece, and, well, we're a combo deck, and Atlas is acceptable card draw.

3drinks

Even if I didn't yay rise of the eldrazi, this card still wins out 3-2. At least it's interesting that it's very not an auto pick.

I'll yay deathmantle and atlas though.

Rise of the Eldrazi yay - 3 nay - 1
Endless Atlas yay - 3 nay - 0

Nim Deathmantle yay - 2 nay - 1

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

New week, let's round out the cycle of picks with myself, and then start the next cycle with...@gsgfdf. And for my pick, I'm going to nominate Retrofitter Foundry.

Nim Deathmantle yay - 2 nay - 1
Retrofitter Foundry yay - 0 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I'd like to change my nay to a yay on Deathmantle. And a yay for what's probably the best trinket mage target of all time, retrofitter foundry.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 6 months ago

Yay to Retrofitter Foundry

I really struggle with suggestions this time around. I'll go with something simple like Foundry Inspector

3drinks

cn=onfirming deathmantle and updating tallies, including my yay for the humble inspector.

Let's put @Moxnix and @TheGildedGoose on the clock.

Nim Deathmantle yay - 3 nay - 0
Retrofitter Foundry yay - 2 nay - 0
Foundry Inspector yay - 1 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I'd vote for the good inspector! We're probably gonna play a lot of artifacts anyway, I'm sure it's got hits.

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 6 months ago

Nominate sensei's divining top yay rings yay inspector yay retro

3drinks

Wow, I remember when sensei's divining top was largely unattainable at $50ea. Even now $20 - $25 is a lot, but manageable at least. We don't have a lot of shuffles yet, but there's a couple more bad fetches we could add to make it more consistent (or add Myr Mindservant if we wanted to play a colourless Soldier of Fortune). I think it's a yay as well.

I think I yay rings here, not sure we have too many hits. I guess it's infinite with a monolith and that's probably worth it. It can value proc on our draw activations and that's reasonable. I think I just talked myself into it.

For today let's put @Dragonlover and @MrBloo on the clock.

Retrofitter Foundry yay - 3 nay - 0
Foundry Inspector yay - 2 nay - 0
Rings of Brighthearth yay - 2 nay - 0
Sensei's Divining Top yay - 1 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

MrBloo

Yay Inspector, onion rings, and top

My nomination is Liberator, Urza's Battlethopter. We can fully take advantage of the card.

3drinks

I'd yay Liberator. Has interest fallen off a cliff because colourless is actually a linear deck to build? I thought it was gonna be so cool and interesting.

For today let's put @toctheyounger and @aliciaofthevast on the clock. It's Sunday but maybe screeching towards the holidays we can get this deck finished by then?

Foundry Inspector yay - 3 nay - 0
Rings of Brighthearth yay - 3 nay - 0

Sensei's Divining Top yay - 2 nay - 0
Liberator, Urza's Battlethopter yay - 1 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I would yay Diving Top and Liberator, yeah! And I'll raise you a Shimmer Myr. Most our stuff is artifacts and this'll almost be a second Liberator, right?

toctheyounger

I'm into both top and Liberator. Good cards are good. Yea. My nomination is Clock of Omens. It tends to really accelerate rocks pretty nicely. Not sure it's a lock here but it could do good work. It's kind of a pet card for me, I could see it doing neat things alongside retrofitter.

Apologies for my general absence, kid number 2 arrived a couple weeks ago, as well as covid and my wife's birthday today. It's been frenetic.

Edit - yea to Shimmer Myr too.

3drinks

That confirms Divining Top and Liberator. I would toss a yay to Shimmer Myr, or any flash enabler that doesn't cost four to do nothing (looking at you, vedalken orrery :fuming: ). I think Clock of Omens has all the combo potential in the world as well as net mana with a monolith sometimes. Hmm, maybe I should add Darksteel Citadel to the mana...it's got very negligible drawback in colourless (just a Null Rod effect) and can't even be wastelanded.

On the clock today will be me to close out the cycle, along with @TheGildedGoose to start the next cycle.

I kinda wanna go with a little value three drop, but I think I just want to stick a big harder to remove body. And so my nomination is Reality Smasher.

Sensei's Divining Top yay - 4 nay - 0
Liberator, Urza's Battlethopter yay - 3 nay - 0

Shimmer Myr yay - 2 nay - 0
Clock of Omens yay - 1 nay - 0
Reality Smasher yay - 0 nay - 0

toctheyounger wrote:
6 months ago
Apologies for my general absence, kid number 2 arrived a couple weeks ago, as well as covid and my wife's birthday today. It's been frenetic.
Congrats for bringing new life into this world, and a happy birthday to the wife. Consider letting her win a game of Magic as surely this is a present she will appreciate and treasure forever. Follow me for more successful marriage tips, says the classic bachelor :rofl:

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 6 months ago

All yays from me this almost feels too easy

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 6 months ago

Yea Shimmer Myr and Clock of Omens.

Reality Smasher seems a bit out of place. Do we want midsize beaters in a combo deck? I mean sure we've got to have plans B and C or whatever but I don't think a smattering of beaters will be a reasonable option for finishing with combat damage. Something like Thought-Knot Seer that beats and disrupts would be a great inclusion but I don't think I can get behind a card that just beats in most EDH decks. Nay.

The deck is lacking in a lot of colorless mana rocks that are boring but necessary inclusions (Mind Stone, Thought Vessel, etc). Are we going to select and vote to include them, or are we just going to collectively nod and throw 'em in? I ask because today I'm nominating Winter Orb. We're going to need rocks to break parity if we don't have the recently nominated Clock to tap it, and we're also going to need some artifact sac outlets to make use of the other tapper stax pieces, too.

Anyway, at any rate, 36 lands is too low and...

MrBloo

I'd nod the rocks package

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

What do people say about winter orb? Isn't that gonna turn people off maybe?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”