Rex, Cyber-Hound: Options?

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 6 months ago

Rex, Cyber-Hound

The closest comparison to our robot dogo is probably Mairsil, the Pretender, except Rex can grab opponent's stuff (however rare it is) and there's no limit to how many times you can activate those abilities.

I feel it's much easier to exile your own creatures for combo pieces than waiting for opponent's to have useful stuff, not to mention Rex still requires the right kind of mana to use those abilities. One Intuition drops two pieces into your GY. An easy pick would be Pili-Pala + Palladium Myr/Hargilde, Kindly Runechanter/Grand Architect/Renowned Weaponsmith/Vedalken Engineer/Soldevi Machinist, but I bet there's many, many more.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 6 months ago

Maybe the precon will have more energy pieces. I know blue and colorless have some, but when cogitate on an energy deck, green seems vital.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 6 months ago

Puresight Merrow with any add colored mana creature is going to allow to filter through your deck.

The Energy portion is going to be the most restrictive part of this Commander imo.
Double Strike and being unblockable are good for Energy.
Jodah's Avenger gives you both, although you'd need to get 3 toughness for that.

Some choice can't be blocked; Gingerbrute, Surge Engine, Soltari Emissary, Ghostly Pilferer, Trespassing Souleater, Thassa, God of the Sea, Cephalid Inkshrouder.

Cyberium

darrenhabib wrote:
6 months ago
Puresight Merrow with any add colored mana creature is going to allow to filter through your deck.

The Energy portion is going to be the most restrictive part of this Commander imo.
Double Strike and being unblockable are good for Energy.
Jodah's Avenger gives you both, although you'd need to get 3 toughness for that.

Some choice can't be blocked; Gingerbrute, Surge Engine, Soltari Emissary, Ghostly Pilferer, Trespassing Souleater, Thassa, God of the Sea, Cephalid Inkshrouder.
There's also Morphling for self protection + evasion + untap. Damn I miss superman.

darrenhabib

Walking Ballista/Triskelion + Phyrexian Devourer

Sage of Hours + Phyrexian Devourer
Sage of Hours + Anthroplasm
Sage of Hours + Farmstead Gleaner or Axgard Braggart with some sort of tap.
Sage of Hours + Pteramander combined with another +1/+1 counter enabler.

Barrenton Medic + Grim Poppet/Phyrexian Devourer + any tap ability for benefit.

Mirror-Mad Phantasm will mill your library if used with Rex specifically.

You could use Auriok Salvagers + Lion's Eye Diamond, with the idea that you use LED to just discard Auriok Salvagers and then Rex can get its ability. It's just a little more efficient in that you don't need Auriok Salvagers on the battlefield.

I looked up energy cards and 99% of them are ETB creatures and a few when attacks. We will have to see if there are good engines for energy in the rest of Fallout.
Decoction Module and Aetherstorm Roc can give you energy when creatures ETB. For example you could use Aetherling exile ability to give you say an additional 4 energy each round in a 4 player game.
Dynavolt Tower with heavy instant/sorcery deck. TBH I think a Rex build is going to be very creature heavy with all the potential activated abilities.
Aetherworks Marvel when cards go to graveyard. I couldn't come up with any graveyard combos however with Rex, as he won't have abilities in graveyard.

If Fallout has good energy producers then Electrostatic Pummeler can allow Rex to probably one-shot opponents with Commander damage.

Cyberium

darrenhabib wrote:
6 months ago
Walking Ballista/Triskelion + Phyrexian Devourer

Sage of Hours + Phyrexian Devourer
Sage of Hours + Anthroplasm
Sage of Hours + Farmstead Gleaner or Axgard Braggart with some sort of tap.
Sage of Hours + Pteramander combined with another +1/+1 counter enabler.

Barrenton Medic + Grim Poppet/Phyrexian Devourer + any tap ability for benefit.

Mirror-Mad Phantasm will mill your library if used with Rex specifically.

You could use Auriok Salvagers + Lion's Eye Diamond, with the idea that you use LED to just discard Auriok Salvagers and then Rex can get its ability. It's just a little more efficient in that you don't need Auriok Salvagers on the battlefield.

I looked up energy cards and 99% of them are ETB creatures and a few when attacks. We will have to see if there are good engines for energy in the rest of Fallout.
Decoction Module and Aetherstorm Roc can give you energy when creatures ETB. For example you could use Aetherling exile ability to give you say an additional 4 energy each round in a 4 player game.
Dynavolt Tower with heavy instant/sorcery deck. TBH I think a Rex build is going to be very creature heavy with all the potential activated abilities.
Aetherworks Marvel when cards go to graveyard. I couldn't come up with any graveyard combos however with Rex, as he won't have abilities in graveyard.

If Fallout has good energy producers then Electrostatic Pummeler can allow Rex to probably one-shot opponents with Commander damage.
It looks like we only need a few creatures to enable an infinite, which means 6 energy min? I'm more curious on how to dump the right creatures into GY, otherwise it really doesn't matter how many energy we have. Aside from Intuition, we can use loot/surveil/mill/wheel, Fact or Fiction, Land Tax/Tithe/Archaeomancer's Map (by fetching lands and dump creature cards), etc. Maybe it is possible to go spell-ish and focus on dumping the right creatures.

darrenhabib

Cyberium wrote:
6 months ago
It looks like we only need a few creatures to enable an infinite, which means 6 energy min? I'm more curious on how to dump the right creatures into GY, otherwise it really doesn't matter how many energy we have. Aside from Intuition, we can use loot/surveil/mill/wheel, Fact or Fiction, Land Tax/Tithe/Archaeomancer's Map (by fetching lands and dump creature cards), etc. Maybe it is possible to go spell-ish and focus on dumping the right creatures.
There are some u untap creatures, Horseshoe Crab, Morphling, Soliton and if you combine that with Mesmeric Orb or Unctus, Grand Metatect then you can mill cards or filter through cards..
Any creature that can tap for u means that you can put as many cards into graveyard as you want.
Silver Myr, Alloy Myr, Crystalline Crawler, Bronze Walrus, Foreboding Statue, Lotus Guardian, Opaline Unicorn, Ornithopter of Paradise, Scuttlemutt, Urza, Lord High Artificer.
Untap other permanents also does the same thing as you target a mana; Vizier of Tumbling Sands, Kelpie Guide, Fatestitcher.
Then Aphetto Alchemist, Tidewater Minion, Clever Conjurer can just do it by themselves with Mesmeric Orb/Unctus, Grand Metatect.

There are also a lot of "draw then discard" creatures and if you use that with untappers, then that means you can filter through a decent number of cards each turn, finding combo pieces.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”