CCL April Signups/Round 1: Enemies Aligned

RaikouRider
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Jimmy Groove: The color identity makes this a bit hard to play with (Temur tokens?) but man is it good in the deck you want it in. This looks very good in Flash-style decks, and is effectively a hard counter if your deck goes really wide. The flavor text made me laugh pretty hard.

slimytrout: The use of kicker here is really cool - I know other judges have mentioned that the hybrid kicker puts the kicked text in pie for both colors, but it's so clever I can't help but mention it again.

marioguy3: I like this design mechanically, but the templating errors and the clash of flavor (did Narset 'walk her entire clan to Kaladesh) makes it hard for me to give you a vote.

void_nothing: Dang, what a pain in the butt draft uncommon this is. If this had one more toughness it would be one of those "too good at uncommon, not exciting at rare" cards. If unanswered, this can easily take over combat. Should be close to top-pick uncommon.

kwanyeegor-ii: A 4 life swing per attack is pretty good, but turning those abilities on in Limited is pretty hard. Unless you have lands with land types at low rarities (I don't think tap duals with the land types at common or uncommon would break anything) this is usually an overcosted grow creature or an overcosted life engine. No flavor text? There's plenty of room.

Subject16: Kird Monk? Sign me up! This is amazing in tempo decks, and would see play in multiple formats. This would have been first place if you had remembered basic land types are capitalized in rules text.

netn10: This is quite the combo enabler in addition to being an efficient hasty beater. With any Tim and WU in creature mana, this wins the game on the spot. Granted that's not easy to do without also being in green, but even as a way to make your team unblockable this is quite a pain until removed.

1) slimytrout
2) Subject16
3) netn10

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Last day for round 1+2 critiques—round 3 (top 8) starts tomorrow.

marioguy3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

void_nothing: A pretty neat design, if not all too powerful. The untap ability of the Frog is the real draw of the card, although I'd be paying 8 mana for the first untap, 11 for the second untap.

kwanyeegor-ii: I think that's a typo in the card name. As for the ability, it is not all too powerful or game changing even if you meet the semi-rigorous land condition. Without it, it's a vanilla 2/2, which is awful.

Subject16: This is what Serra Ascendant should have been. It's quite good and full-on encourages the playing of Jeskai without it being too overpowered early game. Well designed, and instant top 3.

netn10: A rather unique design. I think it's kind of cool, actually. It's really good if you have a pinging planewalker or a Goblin Bombardment which can keep up the defense/offense.

Ink-Treader: This card is strong too. Another card that works well at any point in the game. It's less polarizing and bannable than Deathrite Shaman, and it has relevant creature types too.

Gateways7: A bit too high power (by at least one power/toughness) for a common. Like the pun for a name if that was what you were going for.

barbecube: Terrible as a mono-green card, but gets quite interesting as a wedge card. It's pretty interesting and can set up for some great turns.

Top 3:
1st place: Subject16
2nd place: netn10
3rd place: Ink-Treader
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
I hope it's not too late. I understand if it is.

Jumping Master 3R
Creature — Human Monk (U)
Haste
If WU was spent to cast this spell, Jumping Master enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
Jumping Master has flying as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.
Many Jeskai techniques require you to jump.
2/2
This one is quite similar to mine. The floor is lower, and the investment is easier. Unlike my card, the payoff is all-or-nothing, I think separating them into one payoff for each color could have been nice, but I'm afraid I coud be riskong into bias by my own design regarding that point. Given the low floor,.I would have made this a common.
frogchild wrote:
4 years ago
Ehlkar, Traitor To Bant WW
Legendary Creature - Human Coward
1B, T: Draw a card and you lose one life. Activate this ability only if you control a Swamp
1R, T: Deal 2 damage to any target. Activate this ability only if you control a Mountain
Fear drives even the most loyal to evil
1/2
I like how you went with betraying Bant onstead of idwntidying the guy as mardu. It:s like a super-guilmage, with two very strong ailities that complement what white can do. The basic land requirement is an extra hoop but I think it helps balance here. This may be too much utility for Standard but commander geels like a good home.
RaikouRider wrote:
4 years ago
Ainok Ambush 2G
Instant {U}
Target creature you control gains deathtouch until end of turn if B was spent to cast this spell, and gains indestructible until end of turn if W was spent to cast this spell. Then that creature fights up to one target creature you don't control.

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
FYI: The challenge has been relaxed to permit (still wedge) cards that care about an ally and enemy color. I've encountered some confusion with the challenge format, and given Tarkir's wedge cards are all ally focused I imagine that would remain a persistent issue this week.
I think the color should have been rearranged here- as having a fight ability tied to white mana feels off. This qould have been good as a black card.
Jimmy Groove wrote:
4 years ago
Crowd Out 2U
Instant (U)
Create a 1/1 green Elf creature token if G was spent to cast this spell and/or a 1/1 red Goblin creature token if R was spent to cast this spell, then counter target spell unless it's controller pays 1 for each creature you control.
"You trying getting a word in edgewise,"
I like this. It looks like a solid counter for Flash matters decks. That said, I think that it should probably cost 1 more or be a rare. In limited., you can leave your mana open in your third turn and get too mich advantage. The fact that it is kind of a Quench when you're way behind does help, tho.
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
Empire's Erasure 3BB
Sorcery (R)
Kicker {g/w}{g/w}
Destroy all creatures. If this spell was kicked, destroy all nonland permanents instead.
"A thousand years, or a thousand thousand, seemed to pass in an instant, until the mage lowered his hands and the greatest city known to man was nothing more than a pile of dust."
-Saretora, wandering historian
O think this is veey well.on color and well balanced.. That said, I tjink the hybrid cost is a bit detrimental for the challenge, as you need only one of those colors to get the full payoff.
marioguy3 wrote:
4 years ago
Jeskai Art Maker
Creature - Human (Rare)
Defender
, : Create a 1/1 red artifact servo creature token.
, : Target servo you control becomes a 5/5 and is blue in addition to its other colors and types.
2/2
This is another of the super-guildmages. but it reads a bit odd..2/2 is a strage P/T for a defender, and the favt that the abilities kind of eed to be chaoned makes this a bot slow. Also, the Fabrivate colors are Abzan, so you are.limited in your repertoire of other Servo-creating effects when going Jeskai.

Voidnothing. Nowadays a 3/3 for five mama has to be quite potent. The abilities need a lot of mana and don't sineegize well with each otjer.

1. Frogchild
2. JimmyGroove
3. Bravelion

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Rounds 1 + 2 feedback are now closed. Round 3 will go up today.

frogchild
izzet mage

Post by frogchild » 4 years ago

Uh, whoops. I didn't submit my feedback. Should I still do it or not bother?
connesieur of all things red and/or blue

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

frogchild wrote:
4 years ago
Uh, whoops. I didn't submit my feedback. Should I still do it or not bother?
I'll allow it. Round 3 hasn't been posted yet. :)

Round 3 will go up at midday PST, six hours from now. I'll give late review entries until then.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”