October MCC Round 3 - Power of the Void

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 6 months ago

colorlessbanner.png
(This banner was put together using both Raymond Swanland and Jason Felix's art for Wastes, plus Wizards of the Coast's colorless symbol, as well as bravelion83's MCC logo.)

October MCC Round 3

Power of the Void

And now we move further still from colors. The list of colorless nonartifact, noncreature, nonland cards is quite small, and those with C even smaller still. Lots of untapped potential still there for C

Main Challenge - Design a nonartifact, noncreature, nonland card with C in its mana cost and no color identity.

Subchallenge 1 - Your card can't add mana.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card doesn't reference colors or subtypes in its rules text, nor the lack of them.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge - The allowed types are: Instant, Sorcery, Enchantment, Planeswalker, and Battle. Your card should have no colored mana symbols on it.

Subchallenge 1 - Technically your card could create tokens that can add mana.

Subchallenge 2 - No color words, nor the word "colorless", nor "multicolored", "monocolored", etc. No subtypes such as Aura, Eldrazi, Trap, etc. Note that your card may have a subtype, it just can't reference any in the rules text. C is fine to have in the rules text.

DEADLINES

Design Deadline: Friday, November 3rd 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging Deadline: Tuesday, November 7th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

Ink-Treader
void_nothing

Players

@Rithaniel
@haywire
@bravelion83
@Caspernicus
@slimytrout
@Subject16
@CunningGabe
@StonerOfKruphix

BRACKETS

Caspernicus vs. StonerOfKruphix
Rithaniel vs. haywire
Subject16 vs. slimytrout
bravelion83 vs. CunningGabe
Last edited by Ink-Treader 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Subject16
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Subject16 » 6 months ago

Ugin's Command 2CC
Instant (R)
Choose two —
• You gain 3 life and scry 3.
• Draw two cards.
• Manifest the top card of your library. (To manifest a card, put it onto the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature. Turn it face up any time for its mana cost if it's a creature card.)
• You may turn a face-down creature you control face up.
Last edited by Subject16 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 6 months ago

Ugin, Bolas's Jailer 2CC
Planeswalker — Ugin (M)
When Ugin, Bolas's Jailer enters the battlefield, exile target creature an opponent controls until Ugin leaves the battlefield.
+1: Scry 1. If the exiled card has power 4 or more, scry 2 instead. Then if the exiled card has power 6 or more, draw a card.
-2: Detain target creature an opponent controls. (Until your next turn, that creature can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated.)
-7: Create three tokens that are copies of the exiled card, except they have haste, trample, indestructible, and "At the beginning of the next end step, sacrifice this creature."
Last edited by bravelion83 6 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Caspernicus

Post by Caspernicus » 6 months ago

Attack on the Heron Moon 2ccc
Battle - Siege (M)
(As a Siege enters, choose an opponent to protect it. You and others can attack it. When it's defeated, exile it, then cast it transformed.)
When Attack on the Heron Moon enters the battlefield, all creatures get -5/-5 until end of turn. It becomes night.
Whenever day becomes night or night becomes day, remove a defense counter from Attack on the Heron Moon.
/////
Reawaken the Titan
Sorcery
This spell can't be countered.
Target opponent sacrifices six permanents. Take an extra turn after this one. If it's night, instead you choose which permanents that opponent sacrifices and take two extra turns after this one.
Exile Reawaken the Titan.
A new generation of planeswalkers thought they could kill what their predecessors had hardly managed to contain. They were thoroughly mistaken.
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 6 months ago

Void Conduit CC
Tribal Enchantment — Eldrazi (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep and whenever an Eldrazi enters the battlefield under your control, put a void counter on Void Conduit.
Sacrifice Void Conduit: Search your library for an Eldrazi card with equal or lesser mana value than the number of void counters on Void Conduit, exile it, then shuffle. Until end of turn, you may cast the exiled card without paying its mana cost. Activate only as a sorcery.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 6 months ago

The Void Stares Back
Enchantment R
Whenever a creature card is put into exile from anywhere, note its abilities.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice The Void Stares Back and create a 4/4 colorless Eye creature token with each of the noted abilities.
Render
Show
Hide

This render was made with some art by Ryan T Hancock, found on their artstation page here. Support Ryan if you can.
For Attachment
Show
Hide
The Void Stares Back.png
Last edited by Rithaniel 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 6 months ago

Portal From The Beyond C
Enchantment (R)
C: Exile the top card of your library.
Sacrifice Portal From Beyond: Return target face-up permanent card you own in exile to the battlefield if its mana value is less than or equal to the number of cards you own in exile.
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 6 months ago

Kozilek Kills the Tidemaker 1C
Enchantment — Saga (U)
I — Create a 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion creature token. It has "Sacrifice this creature: Add C."
II — Search your library for a land card named Wastes, put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle.
III — You may pay any amount of C. When you do, exile target nonland permanent with mana value equal to the amount of mana paid this way.

haywire

Post by haywire » 6 months ago

Edge of the Eternities XCC
Enchantment {R}
When Edge of the Eternities enters the battlefield, put a finality counter on each of up to twice X target creatures. (If a creature with a finality counter on it would die, exile it instead.)
Whenever a face-up nontoken creature is put into exile, you may pay 1C. If you do, manifest that card. (Put it onto the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature. Turn it face up any time for its mana cost if it's a creature card.)

Ink-Treader

Forgive the lateness, the round is closed! I'll have brackets up hopefully soon

Caspernicus vs. StonerOfKruphix
Rithaniel vs. haywire
Subject16 vs. slimytrout
bravelion83 vs. CunningGabe

The highest combined score in each match up will advance to the finals!

Judgments are finished.
Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy isn't too fond of symmetrical board wipes, but the big stuff they tend to enjoy can survive, and the minigame and payoff are cool. Johnny would also enjoy the minigame, but it's pretty easy to skip, and the payoff itself isn't inherently exciting to them. Spike can also appreciate the minigame as rewarding smart play, and it's a decent board wipe, and the payoff is enormous.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Yeah, it's reasonably so. Only thing that might trip people up is that a defense counter will not be removed upon this entering play if it's not already day or night.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Mythic is undeniably appropriate. The high C commitment makes me less leery of any potential bleeding, and I'd say also fits the intended theme.
(1.5/3) Balance - The frontside seems decently playable, and I don't find it unreasonable. The reward from the backside is pretty absurd, however, even without the night time bonus, which just takes it over the top. As a package it's just too cheap for it what it offers. Curious if it'd see a home in Urzatron packages, being a boardwipe into a potential Time Stretch, and a Time Warp is still nice. I will note that the sorcery does get hard countered by Leyline of Sanctity and the like, because it must have a target to be cast.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - I'd say there's enough going on here to be unique. The extra condition for removing counters is pretty cool.
(3/3) Flavor - Certainly quite so.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Should be "and you take" for the night clause on the sorcery. Looks good otherwise.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Indeed.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both fulfilled.

Total: 21.5/25
vs.
StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy can appreciate a tutor that gets big stuff on the board, and does so faster as they play what it wants. Not terribly interesting to Johnny. Spike's interest lies in how to use this efficiently. The fact that it can grab any Eldrazi card and not just creatures means they might look at some of the (now Kindred) cards with changeling, like Crib Swap.
(2.5/3) Elegance - I really don't see why exiling it is strictly necessary if you can cast it without paying its mana cost anyway, and there's already a sorcery speed restriction on the ability.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Rare is fine, though uncommon wouldn't be inherently wrong for a tribal tutor. C looks fine here.
(2/3) Balance - I think it's quite playable, and will probably be used more for low cost things. The CC cost is definitely a draw back for Changeling shenanigans, but I still feel like it's probably too good at what it does, for that or more normal uses. Sorcery speed was a good call though, I'll note.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Tutoring things directly into play isn't overly new, though the roundabout means of exiling them, then being able to cast them for free is novel.
(2/3) Flavor - It's pretty generic, but it works.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - This is decidedly pretty obscure, but I'm pretty sure "less than or equal" applies here over the much rarer "equal or lesser", looking at how the latter is used, due to this then comparing to "the number" of a thing.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Doesn't add mana, but does reference a subtype (Eldrazi)

Total: 19/25
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - This might have home run appeal. Timmy can enjoy an efficient creature that can become a mass of abilities (even if the method is a bit odd). Definitely a Johnny card. Spike sees plenty of potential too, and is quite interested in watching what Johnny comes up with.
(1.5/3) Elegance -The card is innocuous at a glance, with theoretically a pretty short time where abilities have to be noted, but the tracking is limitless during that period. Certain abilities (different characteristic defining ones notably) getting combined can also cause some issues (though the solutions for that example are pretty simple I'd imagine)

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - It's certainly rare, and I don't have a problem with C here. My primary concerns have already been noted in Elegance, but those concerns I do feel would impact this category as well. Ability accumulators don't generally accumulate 'every' ability on a card.
(1.5/3) Balance - Someone will find a way to break this. It does have some amusing counterplay due to the noting and having of the abilities is forced (Phage the Untouchable would be amusing, but there's more playable cards that can offer unwanted abilities), but I feel this is reasonably easy to optimize and demands an answer or die. The fact that there's a window to get rid of it is the one thing keeping it from true brokenness.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Undeniably.
(2.5/3) Flavor - A bit on the nose, but it works. There was room for flavor text, but it probably doesn't need it.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - It's quite novel, but this looks correct.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Doesn't add mana. The created token however does reference 'colorless' and 'Eye'.

Total: 20/25
vs.
haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy doesn't much for the first part, but being able to get their (and other's) creatures back is cool. Johnny is looking to break that second ability, and maybe see if there's anything interesting to do with the first beyond the synergy. Spike is probably also going to ignore the first ability unless they can afford to throw mana into it, but the second ability has potential.
(3/3) Elegance - Elegant enough.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Rare looks appropriate, and I have no viability issues with these effects for this cost.
(2/3) Balance - I'm curious how often the X will be employed; while it does have synergy with the second ability, it's pretty niche. The second ability is where this is going to see play, as there's probably some silly combos to be had with it. The limitations will make it tricky to break, but I suspect it can be done (comboing with Ashnod's Altar is nothing special really, but it definitely does combo with it)

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - That being said, the X ability is certainly unique, and the recurrence is fairly novel too, at least in functionality.
(1.5/3) Flavor - It's pretty vague. I kind of get it, but it's not terribly resonant. No room for flavor text with the reminder text there.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - 'each of' is unneeded Looks correct

Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy is not terribly impressed. Spike likes it fine, especially if they can set up the top card of their library... which is the only thing Johnny would be looking to do with this.
(3/3) Elegance - Certainly.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Rare feels appropriate. Life gain, scry, and card draw are pretty common elements on colorless artifacts, so on a C card they seem fine, and the manifest and flip are also fine.
(2.5/3) Balance - This feels very good. The first 2 abilities combined for that cost as an instant already looks favorable relative to Foresee. There are other options, but the most likely other set is the second two abilities to cheat something off the top into play, which does feel plausible for the cost, if still pushed. It'd definitely see play, and perhaps even in Eternal formats.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The combo with the latter abilities is fairly novel, but ultimately it's just a bunch of familiar pieces.
(1.5/3) Flavor - It's stuff one might expect of Ugin, but it's not very interesting. One might expect some of the color hate that both versions of him have, to give this more Ugin specific flair.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 20/25
vs.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy likes some ramp. Johnny finds it dull. Spike likes it quite a lot.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Uncommon is correct, and as a C card it looks reasonable.
(3/3) Balance - It's good, and playable without enabling anything worrying.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The third ability is the most novel thing here, as no Saga has an ability that lets you pay mana like that. Nothing else pops out.
(2/3) Flavor - It works I think, mostly for the 3rd chapter. I kind of get the spreading corruption leading into the main act.

Polish
(1/2) Subchallenges - Doesn't add mana (directly anyway), but the token does reference 'colorless', 'Eldrazi', and 'Scion'

Total: 20.5/25
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Not at all a Johnny card. Timmy tends to find planeswalkers fun, and that ultimate promises a lot of it. Spike is just hoping they can hit something with at least power 4, if not 6. It's pretty decent.
(2.5/3) Elegance - There's room for some very disappointing interactions involving creatures with modified power, but it's otherwise pretty simple.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Mythic is pretty common for planeswalkers, and this seems like no exception. As far as these abilities on a C card, the triggered ability is probably the one with the heaviest color association, followed by detain. Ultimate aside, this wouldn't look out of place on a UW card, or perhaps even just W. Considering the character and the flavor angle however, I think it'd pass.
(3/3) Balance - Seems fine as a colorless Journey to Nowhere with additional upside.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Pretty fresh for a planeswalker. The space of Oblivion Rings that do something based off the card they exile is relatively unexplored.
(2/3) Flavor - The last ability feels rather weird for a 'jailer', but otherwise it's fine.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks correct.

Total: 22.5/25
vs.
CunningGabe
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy finds the self exilemill unappealing, but the activated ability is cool. Johnny is looking for a way to break this (and will probably succeed). Spike has no problem with the self exilemill. The fact that this might plausibly be C: Play an extra land is actually interesting enough for them.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Rare is definitely correct. The main issue is that this pulls your things out of exile, and directly to the battlefield at that, something that has been avoided to avoid turning exile into a second graveyard, with very rare and specific exceptions, and with the ones that return to the battlefield being tied to the card in question, not to other cards.
(1/3) Balance - This feels extremely playable in any deck that can afford a source of colorless and that already tends to exile its own stuff. It has great utility and potential to be a wincon, and being able to just grab something cheap at no extra cost if someone aims to stop you from being able to snag a wincon makes it that much better. Sorcery speed would help, as would an initial cost bump.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - It's pretty unique. Similar to some effects, but the methods are novel.
(2/3) Flavor - Generic, but it works. Room for some flavor text.

Polish

Total: 20.5/25
Scores
Show
Hide
Caspernicus - 21.5 vs. StonerOfKruphix - 19
Rithaniel - 20 vs. haywire - 21.5
Subject16 - 20 vs. slimytrout - 20.5
bravelion83 - 22.5 vs. CunningGabe - 20.5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 6 months ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes the pipe dream of the manifest/face up combo. Jxnny has plenty of interactions that these effects can feed into. Spike appreciates the flexibility most of all.
(3/3) Elegance - Sure, all pretty simple and understandable effects.

Development
(3/3) Viability - No issues here.
(3/3) Balance - These effects are all decently powerful and obviously the flexibility is a great selling point, but you won't be taking over any games unless you get lucky and manifest and turn face up a Blightsteel Colossus or something.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - It's a Command, so usually you're not going to see any modes that are too groundbreaking, but that last mode in combination with manifest actually makes this card pretty damn spicy.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Sure - it's a Command and it feels like it's related to Ugin. Nothing super special but effective.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 23/25
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Mostly a Txmmy/Jxnny card I think - Despite the whole removal aspect I think Spike thinks this is too much work.
(2/3) Elegance - Probably one of the more complicated Oblivion Ring variants you can think of, but no single ability is hard to understand. Each one is just complex in its own self-contained way.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Feels like Ugin, feels like obligate-colorless, and obviously I can see a PW at mythic.
(2.5/3) Balance - This maybe plays a little too safe with the numbers? I could see this easily at 5 and the minus ability being -1 at most - as it stands the detain ability is weak enough to only be for desperation situations imo.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - A planeswalker that functions as a Banisher Priest is a pretty new idea, and I like the +1 improving based on the exiled card.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I'm with you until that ultimate. Doesn't seem to have much to do with Ugin's role sealing away his evil brother, but everything else fits that flavor.

Polish

Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy is all about that back face. Plenty to do for Jxnny here. Spike sees a finisher that also comes with a board wipe.
(2/3) Elegance - Quite a bit of text and mixed non-evergreen mechanics (day/night and battles), but none of it is all that hard to understand.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Obligate-colorless and mythic are the way to go here I think.
(2/3) Balance - That front face ETB is fairly good for its cost already, and while 7 defense is steep... it's not insurmountable. The night version of Reawaken the Titan is probably one of the most powerful effects imaginable.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - No single super innovative idea here, but a lot of new twists on old ones.
(3/3) Flavor - Nice condensation of the main narrative and climax of a possible future Innistrad story into one card!

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks good.

Total: 22/25
StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny appeal is obvious. Might be too slow for Spike, might be just right.
(2.5/3) Elegance - I'd probably reword that triggered ability to be clearer: "Whenever Void Conduit or another Eldrazi enters the battlefield under your control and at the beginning of your upkeep..."

Development
(3/3) Viability - Sure, feels like an Eldrazi rare.
(3/3) Balance - Powerful effect that will take time to charge. I don't see an issue here.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - We've never seen this exact card before, but also it's not breaking much new ground - tutor for an Eldrazi and cast it for free is something of an "obvious" effect.
(2.5/3) Flavor - The Eldrazi have a tradition of tribal (soon to be kindred) cards, but the name, while fitting, is also very generic.

Polish
(1/2) Subchallenges - References a subtype.

Total: 21/25
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - The ultimate custom creature is definitely a Txmmy/Jxnny idea. Spike would be into this if the combos were REALLY compelling.
(1.5/3) Elegance - "Each of the noted abilities" is a one-way ticket to needing rulings, I think. The concept of this card, however, is pretty grokkable.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Looks all correct.
(2.5/3) Balance - Could you create an absurd creature with this? Absolutely. But it takes work and you only have one turn cycle in which to do it. In fair decks I know this card would be fine.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Yes, this card "just" makes a token - but a really bizarre token, at least potentially.
(3/3) Flavor - I really like the connection between the name and the token here.

Polish
(1/2) Subchallenges - Uses a subtype and "colorless".

CunningGabe
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy is interested in the second ability - Jxnny and Spike arguably more in the first.
(2/3) Elegance - Second ability is a bit wordy and that intervening "if" clause works in an unintuitive way.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely obligate-colorless and rare.
(2.5/3) Balance - If anything is unbalanced or abuseable on this card it's that first ability. While obviously cheap unlimited self-exile from library is less busted than self-mill, there's still combo potential.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Definitely a new twist on retrieving something from exile.
(3/3) Flavor - No flavor text, but that name perfectly matches the function.

Polish

Total: 22.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - This is a bit too low-key to entice Txmmy. Jxnny and Spike both see things to like.
(3/3) Elegance - Can't argue here.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Works as an uncommon, colorless, and a Saga.
(3/3) Balance - The III ability here is super unrestricted removal... that will cost a bunch of mana, All fair to me - the other two abilities are more low-impact, although an untapped land fetch is kind of good.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - All effects that have been seen a lot before, even on Sagas, but this does present them in a new combination and with some new paint on them.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Kozilek did in fact kill Lorthos and this feels like a Kozilek-themed card, but something's sort of missing here I guess? Maybe the effects aren't specific enough to the flavor?

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks good.
(1/2) Subchallenges - The card itself doesn't add mana even though it makes a token that does. However, it does create a token WITH a subtype.

haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Mostly a card for Txmmy and Jxnny, particularly the latter. Spike has more efficient ways of preventing death triggers and would probably regard the manifest ability as too expensive and gimmicky.
(2/3) Elegance - Slightly wordy and introduces some tracking complexity, but nothing too bad here.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely feels like an obligate-colorless rare!
(3/3) Balance - Sure, nothing objectionable. You can combo out with this but it'd take some doing; any Food Chain loop you might figure out is probably going to be rather complicated.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Manifesting ANY creature is always fun and this is a creative use of the recently introduced finality counters.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Name is somewhat generic but gets across the effects of the Blind Eternities.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - All done.

Total: 22/25
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

All judgments are in, bolded will be advancing to final round

Caspernicus: 21.5 + 22 = 43.5
StonerOfKruphix: 19 + 21 = 40

Rithaniel: 20 + 21 = 41
haywire: 21.5 + 22 = 43.5

Subject16: 20 + 23 = 43
slimytrout: 20.5 + 21 = 41.5

bravelion83: 22.5 + 21.5 = 44
CunningGabe: 20.5 + 22.5 = 43