Ojer Damage Questions

The Desacrator
Pronoun: he / him

Post by The Desacrator » 7 months ago

Ojer Axonil, Deepest Might // Temple of Power
Fiery Confluence
Torbran, Thane of Red Fell

If I choose the 2 damage mode on Fiery Confluence twice or 3 times with Ojer in play, what will the damage be?

If I have Ojer and Torbran out and I deal non combat damage to my opponent, will they take 4 or 6?

Accepted Answer

by Mookie » 7 months ago
The Desacrator wrote:
7 months ago
If I choose the 2 damage mode on Fiery Confluence twice or 3 times with Ojer in play, what will the damage be?
Each instance of Fiery Confluence's damage is separate, so it will deal damage equal to Oer Axonil's power two or three times instead - 8 or 12 damage.
The Desacrator wrote:
7 months ago
If I have Ojer and Torbran out and I deal non combat damage to my opponent, will they take 4 or 6?
Both Ojer and Torbran are replacement effects, so you can choose the order in which they apply. If you apply Ojer first, you'll deal 6 damage. If you apply Torbran first, you'll deal 4 damage.
Go to full post

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 7 months ago

The Desacrator wrote:
7 months ago
Each instance of Fiery Confluence's damage is separate, so it will deal damage equal to Oer Axonil's power two or three times instead - 8 or 12 damage.
The Desacrator wrote:
7 months ago
Both Ojer and Torbran are replacement effects, so you can choose the order in which they apply. If you apply Ojer first, you'll deal 6 damage. If you apply Torbran first, you'll deal 4 damage.

The Desacrator

Post by The Desacrator » 7 months ago

Super dope, thanks a bunch

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 7 months ago

Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
The Desacrator wrote:
7 months ago
It is worth noting that the player being affected (which is the opponent, not the controller of these effects) will choose their relative order. Which means they will almost certainly apply Torbran first which then means Ojer doesn't actually apply at all. Since you are now dealing 4 damage which is not less than Ojer's power.

If you were to deal 1 damage, them applying Torbran first still results in 4 damage since 1 goes to 3 which Ojer turns into 4. But, in most cases, Ojer is likely to be applied last so Ojer doesn't work all that great with other damage doublers/increasers.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 7 months ago

WizardMN wrote:
7 months ago
Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
The Desacrator wrote:
7 months ago
It is worth noting that the player being affected (which is the opponent, not the controller of these effects) will choose their relative order. Which means they will almost certainly apply Torbran first which then means Ojer doesn't actually apply at all. Since you are now dealing 4 damage which is not less than Ojer's power.

If you were to deal 1 damage, them applying Torbran first still results in 4 damage since 1 goes to 3 which Ojer turns into 4. But, in most cases, Ojer is likely to be applied last so Ojer doesn't work all that great with other damage doublers/increasers.
Good catch, this is indeed the case:
Comprehensive Rules wrote:616.1. If two or more replacement and/or prevention effects are attempting to modify the way an event affects an object or player, the affected object's controller (or its owner if it has no controller) or the affected player chooses one to apply, following the steps listed below. If two or more players have to make these choices at the same time, choices are made in APNAP order (see rule 101.4).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”