Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 7 months ago

CCL October Signups/Round 2

"Abilities Lost to Time"

Lotus Path Djinn, taken from Art of MtG, by Steve Argyle and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Tricolor Month here at the CCL, which will be focused on the many times that three-color shards and wedges have been used in Magic's past.

Challenge
Design a card that has one of the Khans of Tarkir clan mechanics: Outlast, prowess, delve, raid, or ferocious.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Your card doesn't have to be any of the colors of the clan that the mechanic you use came from.
  • Your card must have the mechanic inherently - in the case of outlast, prowess, or delve, merely granting the ability to other cards isn't sufficient.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Monday, October 16th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (October 2nd-9th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (October 10th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due October 18th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (October 19th-24th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due October 26th)
  • Final (November, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 7 months ago

Kjeldoran Barracks
Land (R)
Kjeldoran Barracks enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add W.
Outlast 1
1W: Kjeldoran Barracks becomes a 1/1 white Soldier creature until end of turn. It's still a land.
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 7 months ago

Qal Sisma
Legendary Land — Forest Island Mountain (Rare)
(T: Add G, U, or R.)
Ferocious — Qal Sisma enters the battlefield tapped and with a stun counter on it unless you control a creature with power 4 or more.
FerociousT: Add GUR. Activate this ability only if you control a creature with power 4 or more.
"The land provides for those who whisper its name and prepare their ears for its inevitable shouts."
—Chianul, Who Whispers Twice

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 7 months ago

Frozen Statuary 5WU
Artifact Creature - Golem (Rare)
Delve
Flash
When Frozen Statuary leaves the battlefield, you may return an artifact or enchantment card exiled with it to the battlefield.
4/4
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to keep this round open an additional 24 hours - remember, you can enter even if you didn't enter the first round!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 7 months ago

Crow's Nest Cutthroat
Creature — Bird Pirate (Uncommon)
Flying, haste
Raid — When Crow's Nest Cutthroat enters the battlefield, if you attacked this turn, create a Treasure token.
3/1

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 7 months ago

Marauders Bay
Land - Lair (rare)
Marauder Bay enters the battlefield sacrifice it unless you return a non-Lair land you control to its owners hand.
Raid — When Marauders bay enters the battlefield, if you attacked this turn create a 2/2 black Pirate token creature with menace.
T: Add u, B, r.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 7 months ago

Spellchasing Wizard
Creature - Wizard (Rare)
Prowess
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell during your main phase, draw a card.
At the beginning of your end step, create an X/X blue and red Elemental creature token, where X is the amount of damage Spellchasing Wizard dealt to a player or planeswalker this turn.
1/3
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Okay, that will do it for this round. Please critique all the other contestants and post a top 3. For round 1 and 2 critiques, you have until 23:59 Eastern US time on Thursday the 19th.

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 7 months ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
7 months ago
Qal Sisma
Ferocious — Qal Sisma enters the battlefield tapped and with a stun counter on it unless you control a creature with power 4 or more.
FerociousT: Add GUR. Activate this ability only if you control a creature with power 4 or more.
"The land provides for those who whisper its name and prepare their ears for its inevitable shouts."
This is a quite novel tri-land, which is impressive because a lot of multi-land design space has been used. My only concern is that a land that can produce 3 mana -- even under restrictive circumstances -- is inherently kind of dangerous. I guess in the best case, Turn 1 land + mana dork, Turn 2 land + 4-power creature (for 3 mana), Turn 3 this land. That's an explosive start, and it's not hard to imagine living the dream with some frequency - and then having 6 mana on turn 3 is going to be hard for some decks to compete against.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
7 months ago
Frozen Statuary 5WU
Delve
Flash
When Frozen Statuary leaves the battlefield, you may return an artifact or enchantment card exiled with it to the battlefield.
4/4
This is an extremely clever design and nicely balanced!
AnotherAlias wrote:
7 months ago
Crow's Nest Cutthroat
Flying, haste
Raid — When Crow's Nest Cutthroat enters the battlefield, if you attacked this turn, create a Treasure token.
3/1
Flying on a medium red creature is unusual (except for Phoenixes). But aside from that nitpick, this is a solidly designed uncommon.
Komandon wrote:
7 months ago
Marauders Bay
Land - Lair (rare)
Marauder Bay enters the battlefield sacrifice it unless you return a non-Lair land you control to its owners hand.
Raid — When Marauders bay enters the battlefield, if you attacked this turn create a 2/2 black Pirate token creature with menace.
T: Add u, B, r.
Ooh, I almost forgot about Lairs! I remember playing with those back in the day. Of course, those are horribly underpowered compared to today's lands, so you've added a nice upside. In a pinch, you can even play this as a "free" 2/2 as long as you attacked this turn. Nice.
marioguy3 wrote:
7 months ago
Spellchasing Wizard
Creature - Wizard (Rare)
Prowess
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell during your main phase, draw a card.
At the beginning of your end step, create an X/X blue and red Elemental creature token, where X is the amount of damage Spellchasing Wizard dealt to a player or planeswalker this turn.
1/3
I really like this as a top-end for a Spellslinger deck. I appreciate that the first ability doesn't let you go off at the end of your opponent's turn, but I'm worried that it might be too easy to break anyway. Maybe you could limit it to twice per turn? The second ability is nice too, helping you close out a game as you run out of steam.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. marioguy3
3. AnotherAlias
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 7 months ago

Komandon: This is one of the best lair lands because it encourages attacking for the bonus when the lair lands were not known for being great.

AnotherAlias: There is a distinct tension between wanting the treasure or wanting the 3 damage. Haste makes the decision fun.

netn10: This is either a very slow land or an insanely powerful land. Untap shenanigans with this and this is among the most powerful lands ever printed, presuming a power 4 or greater creature, which isn't too hard in those colors. Also can be tutored with fetch lands!

kwanyeegor-ii: Self mill Azorius decks will love this card. A massive recovery potential to a wrath or even bounce effect changes the tide of the game.

CunningGabe: Not the most powerful of lands, but it is one that will suffice. It is quite a bit of work to get the counter on the creature.

Top 3:

3rd place: Komandon
2nd place: AnotherAlias
1st place: kwanyeegor-ii
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Komandon

Edit. Was just top three thinking I didn't have time. Then tried to make a critic post. Sorry for the double post.
Last edited by Komandon 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Komandon

CunningGabe wrote:
7 months ago
Kjeldoran Barracks
Land (R)
Kjeldoran Barracks enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add W.
Outlast 1
1W: Kjeldoran Barracks becomes a 1/1 white Soldier creature until end of turn. It's still a land.
Outlast on a land. That's neat.
netn10 wrote:
7 months ago
Qal Sisma
Sorry. Seems to overpower being basic land types too.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
7 months ago
Frozen Statuary 5WU
Delve
Flash
4/4
I don't think I ever seen Delve's mechanic flipped from its downside. I like it.
AnotherAlias wrote:
7 months ago
Crow's Nest Cutthroat
Flying, haste
3/1
Nice and simple. I like nice and simple when it's not I think the word is chaffed. Which isn't isn't. Can go well in many decks not just treasure and pirate.
marioguy3 wrote:
7 months ago
Spellchasing Wizard
Creature - Wizard (Rare)
Prowess
1/3
I thought at first it was over powered but it's main incentive is casting the main phase.

Top 3
1st: AnotherAlias
2nd: kwanyeegor-ii
3rd: marioguy3

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 7 months ago

CunningGabe: This is a very interesting creature land. From what I can tell, basing it off of lifelink and its reminder text, this should work as intended. (As in, lifelink says "this creature," yet sorcery/instant spells can have lifelink.)

Netn10: Way too fast. In these colors, 4+ power is way too easy. Adding on that it can be fetched, definitely not something R&D would print… I think…

kwanyeegor-ii: Don't know why something frozen has flash, but other than that, nice card.

Komandon: I forgot Lair lands existed. I don't actually know what to think about it. Maybe fine? I mean, "free" 2/2 with menace… I don't actually know where I am going with this.

marioguy3: A neat top-end to a instant/sorcery heavy deck. It could be a lot of draw, but you probably aren't playing it on curve anyways.

Top 3:
3rd: marioguy3
2nd: kwanyeegor-ii
1st: CunningGabe

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 6 months ago

And our top four contestants are:

kwanyeegor-ii
CunningGabe
marioguy3
AnotherAlias

Next round to come soon!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”