October MCC Round 2 - It Came from Beyond

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 8 months ago

colorlessbanner.png
(This banner was put together using both Raymond Swanland and Jason Felix's art for Wastes, plus Wizards of the Coast's colorless symbol, as well as bravelion83's MCC logo.)

October MCC Round 2

It Came from Beyond

The first creatures to bear C in their mana costs were the Eldrazi. The flavor of C in costs remains linked to them and their eldritch power. Naturally, making an Eldrazi is a perfect fit for this month's theme!

Main Challenge - Design a colorless Eldrazi creature card with C in its mana cost and/or rules text.

Subchallenge 1 - Your card doesn't create creature tokens.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card is common or mythic rare.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge - The challenge doesn't disallow Devoid. Just make sure there's at least one C in it's mana cost and/or rules text.

Subchallenge 1 - None yet

Subchallenge 2 - None yet

DEADLINES

Design Deadline: Saturday, October 21st 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging Deadline: Tuesday, October 24th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
JUDGES

Ink-Treader
void_nothing

PLAYERS

@slimytrout
@bravelion83
@Rithaniel
@Caspernicus
@StonerOfKruphix
@KB52665
@Komandon
@Subject16
@kwanyeegor-ii
@haywire
@netn10
@marioguy3
@CunningGabe

BRACKETS

Ink-Treader
haywire
Caspernicus
Rithaniel
Komandon
netn10
kwanyeegor-ii
bravelion83

void_nothing
slimytrout
KB52665
Subject16
StonerOfKruphix
CunningGabe
marioguy3
Last edited by Ink-Treader 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

StonerOfKruphix
Pronoun: he / him

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 8 months ago

Xalak, the Voidmist 1UB
Legendary Creature — Eldrazi (M)
Devoid
Flying, deathtouch
Ingest
Whenever one or more cards your opponents own are put into exile from anywhere, you may pay C. If you do, draw a card and each opponent discards a card.
Its toxic fog corrodes its victims' body and mind, exposing their essence to the void.
1/4
Last edited by StonerOfKruphix 8 months ago, edited 6 times in total.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 8 months ago

Bekhron, Fiery Exhumer X{U/B}{W/B}
Legendary Creature — Eldrazi Processor (M)
Devoid (This card has no color.)
When Bekhron enters the battlefield, if C was spent to cast it, each opponent mills X cards, then exiles half their graveyard, rounded up.
R, Put two cards your opponents own from exile into their owners' graveyards: Bekhron deals 1 damage to any target. If those cards are both colorless, Bekhron deals 3 damage instead. (Lands are colorless.)
Not even burning the corpses stops it from processing them.
3/2
Last edited by bravelion83 8 months ago, edited 6 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Design deadline on the 15th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 8 months ago

Inscrutable Shuffler 2C
Creature - Eldrazi Drone (C)
Inscrutable Shuffler can't be blocked as long as you have unspent colorless mana.
2/3
The movements of the Eldrazi are unconstrained by petty notions such as space.
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 8 months ago

Flail of Kozilek GW
Creature - Eldrazi Drone (Mythic)
Devoid
C: Flail of Kozilek gets +1/+0 or +0/+1 until end of turn.
CC: Flail of Kozilek gains lifelink and vigilance until end of turn.
CCC: Flail of Kozilek gains flying and hexproof until end of turn.
CCCC: Flail of Kozilek gains double strike and trample until end of turn.
2/2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 8 months ago

Eldrazi Forerunner 2U
Creature - Eldrazi Drone (common)
Devoid (This creature has no color)
When Drone Forerunner enters the battlefield scry 2.
C: Eldrazi Forerunner gains flying until end of turn.
Eldrazicycling cCC (ccc, Discard this card: Search your library for an Eldrazi card, reveal it, put it into you hand, the shuffle.)
2/2

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 8 months ago

Zorton, Master of Crush
Legendary Creature — Eldrazi (Mythic Rare)
Flying
When Zorton, Master of Crush enters the battlefield, if it was cast, sacrifice any number of permanents. When you do, destroy up to X target nonland permanents, where X is the number of permanants sacrificed this way.
Whenever an opponent creates one or more tokens, discard a card, then return up to one target permanent card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
9/7
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Caspernicus

Post by Caspernicus » 8 months ago

Ekrogmuth, the Faithless Curse 8ccc
Legendary Creature - Eldrazi (M)
When you cast this spell, exile all graveyards.
Hexproof from colored
You may play lands and cast spells from among cards exiled with Ekrogmuth, the Faithless Curse for as long as you control this card. If you cast a spell this way, you may spend colorless mana as though it were mana of any color to cast it.
Whenever Ekrogmuth, the Faithless Curse attacks, defending player exiles three permanents they control.
A conception as corrupt as thought itself.
11/11
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 8 months ago

Xodhreh, Teething Awe
Legendary Creature - Eldrazi M
Flash
When you cast Xodhreh, Teething Awe, untap each permanent you control and tap each permanent you don't control.
Whenever Xodhreh, Teething Awe attacks, defending player puts four permanents they control on the bottom of their owners' libraries.
8/11
Render
Show
Hide

This render was made using some art from the famous painter Zdzisław Beksiński, who produced several amazing pieces like this during his time.
For Attachment
Show
Hide
Xodhreh Teething Awe.png
Last edited by Rithaniel 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

netn10

Post by netn10 » 7 months ago

Voidspinner 2B
Creature - Eldrazi (Common)
Lurker 1C (During your turn, you may pay 2 and exile this card from your hand face down. You may turn it face up for its lurker cost.)
Devoid
Ward - Pay 3 life
Whenever you cast a spell, if Voidspinner is in exile, each opponent exiles the top card of their library.
1/5

haywire

Post by haywire » 7 months ago

Exciser of Minds
Creature — Eldrazi {M}
Your opponents play with the top card of their library revealed.
During your turn, you may cast permanent spells from the top of your opponents' libraries, and mana of any type can be spent to cast them.
Your opponents can't cast spells with the same name as a permanent you control.
7/5

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 7 months ago

It That Sets The World Ablaze 9
Creature — Eldrazi Dragon (M)
Emerge 6RC (You may cast this spell by sacrificing a creature and paying the emerge cost reduced by that creature's mana value.)
When you cast this spell, it deals 3 damage to each opponent and to each creature and planeswalker your opponents control. If a permanent dealt damage this way would die this turn, exile it instead.
Flying, trample, haste
6/6

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 7 months ago

About 24 hours from the deadline; still looking for entries from @slimytrout and @KB52665!

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 7 months ago

Sightless Surveyor 2U
Creature — Eldrazi (C)
Flying
Whenever Sightless Surveyor attacks, untap up to one target permanent that could produce C.
Hovering silently, it somehow senses the scent of Kozilek's distortions.
2/2

KB52665

Post by KB52665 » 7 months ago

Devourer of Certainties {2/u}{2/u}{2/u}{2/u}
Creature — Eldrazi (M)
Devoid
You control your opponents while they scry.
Whenever an opponent puts a card onto the bottom of their library, you may pay cc. If you do, manifest that card instead. It's a 2/2 Eldrazi Spawn.
{u/r}{u/r}, Sacrifice another Eldrazi: Target player reveals the top card of their library. If it's a creature card, exile it, then Devourer of Certainties becomes a copy of the exiled card until end of turn.
4/7

Ink-Treader

Alright, all in before the deadline! Setting up brackets...

Ink-Treader
haywire
Caspernicus
Rithaniel
Komandon
netn10
kwanyeegor-ii
bravelion83

void_nothing
slimytrout
KB52665
Subject16
StonerOfKruphix
CunningGabe
marioguy3

Top 4 from each bracket advance!

haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy is all on board, of course. It's not terribly interesting for Johnny. Spike is kind of eh on this. It's a fine reanimation target, but your opponent's deck probably isn't as useful as your own; brutal in a mirror match, though.
(3/3) Elegance - Elegant enough.

Development
(3/3) Viability - As far as Eldrazi go, this seems like a plausible colorless design for them. Mythic feels appropriate.
(2/3) Balance - Nothing going for it in combat beside size. Not being able to cast instants and sorceries or play lands seems like a needless safety valve for a creature like this.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - I'm actually quite surprised that inverse Future Sight doesn't appear to exist.
(3/3) Flavor - Yeah that feels quite Eldrazi in name and effect, and the effect matches up with the name. No room for flavor text.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Ah, they've reworded the "spend mana as if any type" ability recently. Good to know. This looks correct.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - It qualifies.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Doesn't create creature tokens, and is mythic

Total: 22.5/25
Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - No complaints from Timmy. Not terribly interesting for Johnny. Spike finds this much less interesting than the existing Eldrazi titans. Decent reanimation target, at least.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Bit lengthy, but understandable.

Development
(3/3) Viability - As far as Eldrazi go, this seems like a plausible colorless design for them. Mythic feels appropriate.
(3/3) Balance - Definitely a late game finisher kind of card. It's alright to reanimate too, but there's plenty of big beaters for that kind of strategy, and with evasion at that. The cast trigger is deceptively unimpressive looking compared to the existing Eldrazi titans, but very powerful with the third ability in mind. I think it's fine overall.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Some similar effects to the big ability, but nothing exactly like it. Hexproof from monocolored and multicolored exists but not all colors. Feels fresh enough.
(3/3) Flavor - Seems Eldrazi titan inspired. Feels different enough from the three that in suggests being an undiscovered one.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Should be "hexproof from all colors" (see Iridescent Angel). 9 lines of rules text with 3 spaces plus a line of flavor text is a bit much. Would have been fine without the flavor text I think.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - This qualifies
(2/2) Subchallenges - Doesn't create creature tokens and is mythic

Total: 22/25
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - This might well be a home run. Johnny can definitely look to looping that cast trigger, and it makes one hell of a end of turn flash in finisher for Spike.
(3/3) Elegance - Elegant enough.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - That feels suitably Mythic. I don't think the blue was strictly needed, though the abilities are all blue; this already has the grand and relatively nonspecific feel expected of an Eldrazi titan.
(2.5/3) Balance - That cast trigger might be behind only Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, and maybe the other Emrakul too. Being a cast trigger instead of an EtB makes it a bit harder to abuse, but far from impossible. It's actual combat abilities are perfectly fine for the cost.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - I must commend finding a suitably impressive sounding cast trigger for an Eldrazi titan that's unlike the rest. Forcing the opponent to permanent's on the bottom also makes it stand out from Annihilator and the similar Bane of Bala Ged.
(3/3) Flavor - "Teething", eh? Is it young, or is the childlike awe? It definitely feels quite removed from the main three titans, and I like that the big ability feels like it matches somewhat with the name.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Since this can put multiple cards on the bottom of the library at once, it needs to specify either "in any order" or "in a random order"
(2/2) Subchallenges - Doesn't create creature tokens and is mythic

Total: 23.5/25
Komandon
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Being able to exchange it for a much more exciting Eldrazi has appeal for Timmy. It doesn't do anything for Johnny. It seems to be a decent enough Limited creature for Spike; the true value lies in the redundancy the cycling might provide.
(3/3) Elegance - Certainly

Development
(3/3) Viability - Common seems appropriate, and blue is fine here. I was honestly surprised that creaturetypecycling appears on commons, but it does.
(2/3) Balance - As a creature, it's serviceable for Limited. Anywhere else, it's going to be all about that cycling ability, which might actually be overweighted with C. 2C would probably be fine. Maybe even 1C.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Does a few familiar things, but the Eldrazicycling is novel.
(2/3) Flavor - Generic, but it works. Not really room for flavor text.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - Devoid's reminder text needs a period. Omenspeaker suggests that there needs to be a comma ("enters the battlefield, scry 2"). "then" is misspelled "the" in Eldrazicycling's reminder text.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Doesn't create creature tokens, and is common.

Total: 19.5/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - While not necessarily high power, it does have high toughness, so it has some Timmy appeal, even if Lurker is weird. Very much a card for Johnny. Very nice in Limited, as far as Spike is concerned, but perhaps not quite there for Constructed formats.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Lurker is very much a 'why?' mechanic, but the the package is simple enough.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Certainly fine for black. This could maybe be uncommon, considering how strong repeatable mill (or exile in this case) can be in Limited, but I could see it perhaps being common in the right kind of format (the kind with Processors)
(2/3) Balance - Lurker as a mechanic is underwhelming, being an overly elaborate way to get this into exile when most other methods will still let it function. This card feels very pushed, and functioning from exile makes it difficult to interact with.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - New mechanic. Similar to foretell, but very different end result. Triggers from exile are also very novel.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Generic, but it works. Very Eldrazi name.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - I believe the final ability needs to specify that Voidspinner is in exile "face-up". Purely for clarity, but that is how it's used.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Doesn't create creature tokens, and is common

Total: 21.5/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Has Timmy appeal. Johnny has little interest. It could be a useful mana sink/finisher for Spike in a long game.
(3/3) Elegance - Each line is simple enough, and doesn't conflict with the others.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Green and white are fine here, though to then demand a high commitment to obligate colorless doesn't play nice. Rare would be more appropriate here than Mythic.
(2/3) Balance - This feels like you're playing way too safe, and as mentioned in Viability, requiring two colors and then having to go all in on C is a bit rough. Scaling down to some generic costs on these abilities would help, somewhat. It still ends up being very mana intensive.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Reminiscent of some existing cards, most similarly the -lings, but scaled differently.
(1.5/3) Flavor - Quite generic, and not particularly compelling given its name vs. rarity.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Doesn't create creature tokens, and is mythic.

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Seems kind of weird for Timmy, as the X doesn't really do anything that exciting. Could be interesting for Johnny, especially if they could figure out a way to make all the cards colorless (hello there Johnny classic, Mycosynth Lattice). There's definitely some value there for Spike.
(2.5/3) Elegance - This card just looks really weird with 4 different colors and obligate colorless showing up.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - White and blue (or just black) to cover the mill + graveyard exile I see, but it seems harmless enough for pure colorless too, as you have to spend C to get that effect anyway.. Red for the activated ability, sure. It certainly has the potential power to perhaps deserve Mythic, but this feels more like a rare.
(3/3) Balance - This feels like a decent build around. I don't know if it'd be played as a Commander in Commander, though it's 4 color identity nearly necessitates that. I feel like this will shine best late game when it can be dropped and then turn all your R into burn. I do appreciate that it plays fairly nicely in multiples for other Constructed formats.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Certainly unique in many ways. Interestingly, no existing Processors do burn.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Sure, this works well enough within Eldrazi conventions, especially with Zhulodok establishing a precedent for named 'lesser' Eldrazi. The large array of colors wants some answers though.

Polish
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - This qualifies.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Doesn't create creature tokens, and is mythic

Scores (bold advance)
Show
Hide
Rithaniel: 23.5
haywire: 22.5
bravelion83: 22.5
Caspernicus: 22

netn10: 21.5
Komandon: 19.5
kwanyeegor-ii: 19.5

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 7 months ago

slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Mostly a Jxnny/Spike card (particularly for Limited); there might be some Txmmy appeal for a flyer that can give you extra mana when it attacks.
(2.5/3) Elegance - "Could produce C" is usually pretty clear but gets some thorny corner cases that will require a judge call.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Feels like a devoid 'drazi and like it should be blue (in its cost at least); I was about to argue that at that size and functionality, it should be an Eldrazi Drone, but then I checked and found Bearer of Silence and Dimensional Infiltrator are not Drones but Skitterskin and Kozilek's Translator are, so who knows where the line is.
(3/3) Balance - Sure, at this stage we can get Wind Drake with a little bonus at common - no problems here. This is merely a good Limited pick, not a crazy one.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Obviously a common is not going to be that innovative, but the untap ability adds a pretty interesting wrinkle.
(3/3) Flavor - Great! Fits in perfectly with Kozilek's brood lineage.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Done.

KB52665
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - This is a Txmmy/Jxnny card, particularly aimed at players who have tendencies of both of those psychographics I would say. Any Spike appeal is rather dampened by the reliance on opponents scrying and inability to force them to do so.
(1/3) Elegance - This is a card that's trying to do a whole lot, and basically all of it is complicated.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - There is no real precedent for "control opponents while they scry" but not only Opposition Agent but also the likes of Sorin Markov and Worst Fears suggest that it's black rather than blue. This is definitely a mythic card.
(3/3) Balance - Theoretically the most powerful usage for this card is something like Lazav, the Multifarious combos where you turn it into a Phyrexian Dreadnought, but even that is relatively expensive and unreliable; it's much easier to copy something you know is in your graveyard than one you might not know is on top of your library, and it only lasts a turn. All in all, this is mostly a fun jank mythic.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - An absolutely unique card with some very unusual ideas and combinations of costs and mechanics.
(2/3) Flavor - Name is rather abstract but somewhat gets across what it's doing it. Eldrazi tend to suffer from nebulous flavor in some ways. No room for flavor text, obviously.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - The "Whenever an opponent puts a card on the bottom" ability should not say "instead" - it's not a replacement effect, but a triggered ability.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done (manifesting isn't token creation).

Total: 20/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Spike both like this card, while Jxnny usually prefers ETB to the Eldrazi cast trigger for cheating-out purposes but still enjoys this card for various reasons.
(3/3) Elegance - Very clear what this card does.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely would have red in the emerge cost and definitely mythic.
(3/3) Balance - Sure - comparable to Decimator of the Provinces, which is a strong but fair card.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Plenty of precedent for Flame Wave-type effects, some of it on mythic Dragons, but the emerge cost and exile clause are new twists.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Name is plausible enough to almost be too on-the-nose. This would presumably be in a Modern Horizons-type product because it combines Emrakul's thing (emerge) with Kozilek's (C) and is a red emerger when those cards all fell into BGU.

Polish
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Mostly about incremental advantage, rather than explosive big plays so Txmmy is less interested than Jxnny and Spike, who'd both be all over this.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A lot of line breaks by necessity, but this is ultimately an easy card to understand.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Feels UB, mythic, and legendary.
(2.5/3) Balance - For three mana, this effectively has a very souped-up version of the traditional Specter ability plus more chances to trigger from outside effects, and has a body that's at least on-rate, so it seems somewhat pushed. The mana requirement for the triggered ability is a very important balancing factor.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - A mashup card combining old elements in a new way.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Now that Zhulodok, Void Gorger proves that we can get cards of legendary non-Titan Eldrazi, I'm eager to see more of those. The one thing is that this has ingest and all existing ingest creatures are Eldrazi Drones, but the uniqueness of being legendary would seem to push this away from being a Drone, so...

Polish

Total: 21/25
CunningGabe
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Being a common I can judge this pretty much wholly on Limited terms - Txmmy and Jxnny are probably most likely to use small unblockable creatures they can put Auras and Equipment on.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A seemingly simple ability that requires a bit of understanding to actually use beyond being "C: This creature can't be blocked this turn" - I think something interesting to add (that would probably push this card to being uncommon, tbf) would be a clause like "You don't lose unspent colorless mana you added this turn as steps and phases end."

Development
(3/3) Viability - Works at common, obligate colorless makes sense for the mana cost.
(3/3) Balance - No issues here! Perfectly fair and something I'd expect to see.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - While unblockable creatures are about as old as dirt, this particular clause doesn't have a lot of precedent, with Glissa Sunseeker being still the only card thus far that cares about unspent mana in this way.
(3/3) Flavor - Feels just right. Great name.

Polish

Total: 22/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy's appeal is obvious. Jxnny has plenty of odd things they can do with this card. Spike wouldn't mind sacrificing all their lands to destroy every actual threat their opponents have.
(1.5/3) Elegance - All good up until the "Whenever an opponent creates one or more tokens" ability, which is out of place, confusing to new players in multiple ways (you HAVE to discard a card! You can't return a permanent card that you just discarded! You get to return a permanent to the battlefield even if you had no cards to discard!), and all in all not fitting with the rest of the card.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely a colorless mythic Eldrazi.
(2.5/3) Balance - This is an eleven-mana card, yes, but even more expensive Eldrazi Titans have proven to be competitive, and that cast trigger is really quite game-ending. Not definitely OP by any means but something to watch out for.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Not doing any one thing that's totally new, but several somewhat new elements here.
(1/3) Flavor - Not a big fan of the name - all I can think of is "the Balrog casts the Spell of Zorton on you!" and the title "Master of Crush" feels more appropriate to Yu-Gi-Oh than Magic. The cast trigger also feels like it would align this card with Ulamog, whilst the obligate colorless mana is Kozilek's thing.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "Permanents" is misspelled in one instance.

Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
slimytrout 22.5
Subject16 22.5
CunningGabe 22
StonerOfKruphix 21

KB52665 20
marioguy3 19.5
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

And that's a wrap. I'll get the next round up soon

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”