Me, The Immortal and the Dissension Eidolons

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 7 months ago

If I discard two eidolons a la Verdant Eidolon to cast ]Me, the Immortal from my graveyard, will the Eidolons' triggered ability see Me being cast and return them to my hand?

Sorry if this is poorly phrased, but basically I'm curious about the finer details of paying costs, casting spells and the timing for triggered abilitys therein.

Accepted Answer

by Mookie » 7 months ago
Relevant rules:
Comprehensive Rules wrote: 601.2h The player pays the total cost. First, they pay all costs that don't involve random elements or moving objects from the library to a public zone, in any order. Then they pay all remaining costs in any order. Partial payments are not allowed. Unpayable costs can't be paid.
Example: You cast Altar's Reap, which costs {1}{B} and has an additional cost of sacrificing a creature. You sacrifice Thunderscape Familiar, whose effect makes your black spells cost {1} less to cast. Because a spell's total cost is "locked in" before payments are actually made, you pay {B}, not {1}{B}, even though you're sacrificing the Familiar.

601.2i Once the steps described in 601.2a–h are completed, effects that modify the characteristics of the spell as it's cast are applied, then the spell becomes cast. Any abilities that trigger when a spell is cast or put onto the stack trigger at this time. If the spell's controller had priority before casting it, they get priority.
Discarding cards is one of the costs you pay in 601.2h, in addition to Me, the Immortal's mana cost. After that step is done, triggered abilities get put on the stack. In this case, Verdant Eidolon is already in the graveyard, so it will see Me being cast and trigger.

I'll note that Verdant Eidolon will also trigger if its sacrifice ability is used to cast a multicolored spell.
Go to full post
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 7 months ago

Relevant rules:
Comprehensive Rules wrote: 601.2h The player pays the total cost. First, they pay all costs that don't involve random elements or moving objects from the library to a public zone, in any order. Then they pay all remaining costs in any order. Partial payments are not allowed. Unpayable costs can't be paid.
Example: You cast Altar's Reap, which costs {1}{B} and has an additional cost of sacrificing a creature. You sacrifice Thunderscape Familiar, whose effect makes your black spells cost {1} less to cast. Because a spell's total cost is "locked in" before payments are actually made, you pay {B}, not {1}{B}, even though you're sacrificing the Familiar.

601.2i Once the steps described in 601.2a–h are completed, effects that modify the characteristics of the spell as it's cast are applied, then the spell becomes cast. Any abilities that trigger when a spell is cast or put onto the stack trigger at this time. If the spell's controller had priority before casting it, they get priority.
Discarding cards is one of the costs you pay in 601.2h, in addition to Me, the Immortal's mana cost. After that step is done, triggered abilities get put on the stack. In this case, Verdant Eidolon is already in the graveyard, so it will see Me being cast and trigger.

I'll note that Verdant Eidolon will also trigger if its sacrifice ability is used to cast a multicolored spell.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”