October MCC Round 1 - Pale Energies

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 8 months ago

colorlessbanner.png
(This banner was put together using both Raymond Swanland and Jason Felix's art for Wastes, plus Wizards of the Coast's colorless symbol, as well as bravelion83's MCC logo.)

October MCC Round 1

Pale Energies

Welcome to the first MCC that I will have ever hosted! The theme this month is Obligate Colorless! C

C was first introduced in the set 'Oath of the Gatewatch'. Outside of a few cards in that set and more recently, the Commander Masters Eldrazi precon, C has primarily seen use in mana abilities as opposed to used in costs. Making use of it in costs is certainly something I've toyed with, as have a few designers I can think of on this forum. With that said, the first challenge will specifically be looking at the former; that is to say, generating colorless mana.

Main Challenge - Design a colored card that can produce C.

Subchallenge 1 - Your card isn't a creature.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card can also produce at least one kind of colored mana, but not all five kinds of colored mana.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge - The card itself must be one or more colors.

Subchallenge 1 - None yet

Subchallenge 2 - Both a card with 'T: Add WUBRG' and a card with 'T: Add one mana of any color.' would fail this subchallenge.

DEADLINES

Design Deadline: Sunday, October 8th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging Deadline: Thursday, October 12th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

Ink-Treader
void_nothing

I will add a link to judge sign up thread here once I get that set up... right here!

PLAYERS

Everyone can enter this round. Just reply to this thread posting a card that meets the Main Challenge and any number (that includes zero) of Subchallenges. Future rounds will only be open to those who advance. Come join us!

Provided here is a link to bravelion83's MCC Guidelines and FAQ, which may prove useful to review for any new players.

BRACKETS

Ink-Treader
Komandon
KB52665
slimytrout
Freyleyes
Rithaniel
StonerOfKruphix
bravelion83
Caspernicus

void_nothing
haywire
marioguy3
AnotherAlias
Subject16
netn10
kwanyeegor-ii
CunningGabe

Top 6 will advance from each bracket.
Last edited by Ink-Treader 8 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Caspernicus
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Caspernicus » 8 months ago

Mind UB
Sorcery (R)
Put the top three cards of your library into your graveyard.
Add CCC.
Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)

Body 4BG
Sorcery (R)
Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
Add X mana in any combination of B and/or G and lose X life, where X is equal to that creature's power.
Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 8 months ago

Golgari Composter 1BG
Artifact (R)
T: Add C, then exile target card from a graveyard. If a creature or land card is exiled this way, add BG instead.
Whenever a card leaves a graveyard, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Never ask Golgari shamans how they fuel their spells.
Last edited by StonerOfKruphix 8 months ago, edited 3 times in total.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 8 months ago

Purleos, Twice Corrupted
Legendary Planeswalker — Purleos (Mythic)
( can be paid with either or 2 life.)
Compleated
+1: Add .
-2: Create a 1/1 colorless Phyrexian Eldrazi Spawn creature token with ingest and toxic 1.
-3: Put two -1/-1 counters on target creature. When that creature dies this turn, you gain 2 life.
Last edited by AnotherAlias 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

KB52665

Post by KB52665 » 8 months ago

The Lotus Endures wubrg
Enchantment — Saga (M)
I. Add three mana of any one color.
II. Add and two mana of any one color.
III. Add cc and one mana of any color. Exile The Lotus Endures and return it to the battlefield transformed under its owner's control.
///
Everlasting Lotus
Legendary Artifact (M)
Everlasting Lotus enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add ccc. Everlasting Lotus gains indestructible and shroud until end of turn.
Whenever Everlasting Lotus becomes tapped, choose a color. Until end of turn, you may spend mana as though it were mana of the chosen color.
The scouring of planes and the ending of ages would not see this last lotus unmade.
Last edited by KB52665 8 months ago, edited 13 times in total.

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 8 months ago

Spirited Away 1WBB
Instant {R}
Exile target creature. If an opponent controls more creatures than you, exile Spirited Away and add CWBB, else, create two 1/1 white Spirit creature tokens with flying.
Flashback—Sacrifice three creatures. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
Let go of the frail bonds that tether you to this realm, be free from the mortal shackles that binds you.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 8 months ago

Canister of Raging Stars 3R
Artifact (Rare)
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, Canister of Raging Stars deals 1 damage to each opponent. Add an amount of C equal to the amount of damage dealt this way.
T, Sacrifice Canister of Raging Stars: Destroy target artifact. Add an amount of W equal to that artifact's mana value.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 8 months ago

Primeval Relic 1{R/G}
Artifact (U)
T: Add C.
T: Add R or G. Activate only if a land entered the battlefield under your control this turn.
When the Roil comes and the land falls, new relics emerge from the depths of the earth and pieces of past civilizations dating back to even before the Eldrazi were first imprisoned on Zendikar are revealed.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 8 months ago

Heartbeat of the Hylrene
Enchantment U
Whenever you attack with exactly one or two creatures, add two mana in any combination of , , , or . Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
When one Hylrene heart races in the heat of combat, the hearts of all Hylrene race to match it.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 8 months ago

Left Barren 2R
Instant (Rare)
Until end of turn, if a player would tap a nondesert, nonsnow permanent for mana it produces c instead of any other type.
1R, Exile Left Barren from your graveyard: Add CCC.

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 8 months ago

Faestone 2{U/B}
Artifact (R)
T: Add C, U, or B.
CCC: Put a flying counter on target creature. That creature becomes a Faerie.
2,T, Sacrifice Faestone: Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the number of Faeries you control.
A hidden source of power, now left unguarded.
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 8 months ago

Goblin's Globe
Artifact (Rare)
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, add for each Goblin you control.
: Create two 1/1 red Goblin tokens with haste.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

haywire

Post by haywire » 8 months ago

Cycle of Desecration
Enchantment {R}
Sacrifice an untapped land: Add or . Activate only once each turn.
Whenever you sacrifice a nonbasic land, you may return target land card named Wastes from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
Whenever you sacrifice a land named Wastes, tap up to one target land and put a stun counter on it.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 8 months ago

Well at Town-Square 2U
Artifact - Structure (Rare)
(When this Structure enters the battlefield, place the number of resource counter on each of its corresponding "( )". All creatures have "T, Remove a resource counter from an option: Visit a Structure at that option: any player may activate this ability during their turn and as a sorcery.")
( ) 4 - Add C.
( ) 2 - Add U.
( ) 2 - Draw a card, then discard a card.
( ) 1 - Sacrifice Well at Town-Square, then each player draws a card.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 8 months ago

Aether Conductor 1R
Artifact (R)
T: Add C. You get (two energy counters).
T, Pay any amount of , Sacrifice Aether Conductor: Add R for each paid this way.
Master Daretti's new refinery has proven to yield explosive results.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 8 months ago

Combust Flesh 1R
Sorcery (C)
Combust Flesh deals 3 damage to target creature. When that creature dies this turn, add CR.
The Reesh disdain the Crua for their cannibalistic ways. But during the Gloom bodies are too valuable of a resource to be wasted on the dirt.

Ink-Treader

Round closed, time for judging. Randomized brackets as follows:

Ink-Treader
Komandon
KB52665
slimytrout
Freyleyes
Rithaniel
StonerOfKruphix
bravelion83
Caspernicus

void_nothing
haywire
marioguy3
AnotherAlias
Subject16
netn10
kwanyeegor-ii
CunningGabe

Top 6 will advance from each bracket.

And all finished.
Komandon
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - I don't think Timmy is terribly interested, though the mana generation is neat. Johnny is probably only looking at the graveyard ability, though it can double as an odd sort of combo protection. Spike isn't too sold, but they would most appreciate disruption that can be worked around with deck building, and the fast mana is a nice bonus.
(3/3) Elegance - Elegant enough

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - It's in a similar space to Blood Moon, but the ability to affect all permanents is novel, and perhaps a bend? Messing with mana is fairly uncommon at least, so I think it may be fine. Uncommon is appropriate enough.
(2.5/3) Balance - Silence seems most similar to what this card does, except Silence doesn't require building around to negate it messing with you. And Silence never really caught on as much more than a combo protection piece, despite how powerful it reads. The actual use of this card is going to be getting it into the yard via discard or mill to get fast mana, which definitely requires some concern. At least it doesn't produce any red, making it tough to chain (and it doesn't add to Storm count).

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Pretty unusual form of mana manipulation, with a nice extra bonus that isn't seen much.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Yeah, I'd say that name works quite well. Had some room for flavor text, though.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - As Desert is a subtype, and not a type nor supertype, it should be 'non-Desert'. There's only one example of 'produce' being used on a card, and that is Hall of Gemstone, and that wording suggests that your own card should probably be worded "Until end of turn, nonsnow, non-Desert permanents tapped for mana produce that much C instead of any other kind."
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Indeed.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Not a creature, but this doesn't produce 1-4 colors of mana

Total: 20/25
KB52665
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Spike is the only one apprehensive regarding it's playability, but if it sticks around it's a big advantage. Timmy and Johnny are in love.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The repetition through out the degradation of the effect is pleasing enough. It ultimately ending up better at the end of that degradation is a bit weird though.

Development
(2/3) Viability - It certainly can be five color. Could also pretty much be green or colorless with little issue. It has the sort of flavor that suggests mythic, but would also be completely fine at rare.
(2/3) Balance - I don't think this compares favorably to Gilded Lotus, which is a perfectly fine card, unless you desperately need colorless mana. But why would you then play a 5 color card too? There's more nuanced things to be done with this over Gilded Lotus if you focus on the Saga bit, but untapping is much easier than counter manipulation.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - No Saga like this, that's for sure.
(2/3) Flavor - As noted in Elegance, it does feel quite odd that it gets technically better at the end, due to the last ability on the backside. Otherwise, this tells a cool little story.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Is not a creature, but it produces all five colors of mana instead of 1-4.

slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Not much a Timmy card, but they can appreciate still being able to more or less cast whatever big thing they were planning on after using this. Johnny has some ideas probably. Spike can appreciate a spell that pays for itself, but sorcery speed and creature only is a bit unfortunate.
(3/3) Elegance - Certainly is.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Red and common seem appropriate enough.
(2/3) Balance - Might be overly cautious. Surely it could hit planeswalkers too and be fine, being sorcery speed.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Somewhat reminiscent of Spawning Breath and Flick a Coin, but needing a death to get the reward is a noteworthy change.
(3/3) Flavor - Gruesome flavor; quite nice.

Polish
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both fulfilled.

Total: 22.5/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Removal that can pay for itself is neat to Timmy, but they don't much care for the flashback cost. Johnny can certainly do something with this. Spike has no issues with the flashback cost beyond how difficult that can be to achieve. They don't like that it can be difficult to get the desired result, especially when one of those results prevents flashing it back.
(1.5/3) Elegance - It feels a bit odd that you get tokens only when you already have more (or at least equal) creatures than your opponents. It's also quite galling that one of the results prevents you from flashing this back.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Black and white can both exile, and could both get the tokens out of it. The mana generation is a bit of a bend these days for black, though being a refund looks better. The flashback cost is very black in flavor. Overall white doesn't seem to contribute much beyond justifying the Spirits better. Rare is appropriate. One notable concern is the name is extremely similar to the already existing Spirit Away, something I'd expect WotC to shy away from.
(2.5/3) Balance - Cast from hand it feels pretty good. The refund is quite powerful, and the tokens are also a welcome alternative for the cost, especially since you can use them for the flashback. Three creatures for the flash back is significant, but getting mana feels very good off of it, and the tokens are an acceptable alternative once again. Curious if it could make a splash in Eternal formats, but I'd see this getting played in Standard.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Removal spell with a bonus isn't unheard of, and there's even one that can refund some mana. Sacrificing creatures for a manaless flashback only exists on two cards. There's lots of similar ideas, but the package is quite fresh.
(2/3) Flavor - The only mystery is why your opponent's creature count matters, and the mana refund. Making Spirits and exiling work well with the flavor though.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Should be 'otherwise', not 'else', and that 'otherwise' should be the start of a new sentence. In the flavor text, it should be 'shackles that bind', not 'shackles that binds'.

Total: 18.5/25
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes this. Not really much here for Johnny. If the pieces are there, this can certainly interest Spike.
(3/3) Elegance - Elegant enough.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Adding W or B feels rather bendy for red, though add mana other than C or R isn't entirely unheard of, not counting Treasures. It's otherwise perfectly fine. Uncommon feels right.
(3/3) Balance - It's demands aren't too onerous, allowing two creatures to attack for the reward does feel better than a pure exalted limitation. Don't know if it'll make much of a splash, but it's certainly interesting.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - There's quite a few cards that can add mana on attacking; most are creatures. The added condition adds some uniqueness.
(2/3) Flavor - The flavor text kind of justifies the condition, but also calls it into question. Makes it feel like all of your creatures should matter in some way.

Polish

Total: 22/25
StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - It has Timmy appeal as a solid mana generator with upside. Johnny is all for this, and Spike knows there's a way to break this.
(3/3) Elegance - The weirdness in how this reads is more a quality mistake, so I'll address it there.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Black and green seem fine. Rare is right for this.
(1/3) Balance - A mana value 3 rock that can easily produce two mana is already very good. That it then can be an incredibly strong build around win con is cause for concern. Syr Konrad, the Grim only focuses on creatures cards, and while it has more opportunities to trigger, it costs two more and only checks your graveyard for the leaving part. This turns mass grave hate (that isn't a replacement effect) into a lethal nuke. "One or more cards" would keep this more in line, but it'd still be quite good.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - The 'card leaving a graveyard' trigger is still relatively uncommon, but the reward is very similar to Syr Konrad. Being stapled to mana rock is neat.
(2/3) Flavor - Why the composter causes life loss is weird. The rest works.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - The activated ability should be as follows. "T: Exile target card from a graveyard. If that card was a land or creature, add BG. Otherwise, add C."

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy and Spike can appreciate a mana value 2 mana rock. Not particularly interesting to Johnny.
(3/3) Elegance - Quite elegant.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Fine colors and fine rarity. Probably too good in Limited to be common.
(3/3) Balance - It's a mana value 2 mana rock that enters untapped. Having a colored cost helps make how nice that can be less of an issue, but it might make a splash in some places.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - The extra bonus on playing a land is pretty rare, but is otherwise a pretty standard (if efficient) mana rock.
(3/3) Flavor - I'd say this is pretty solid on that front.

Polish

Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy is put off by the drawbacks on both sides. Johnny finds it somewhat intriguing. Spike is fine with Mind, but wonders if Body is worth it.
(2/3) Elegance - Because targets are chosen for both sides upon casting, the fact that you can't target with Body what was milled by Mind is absolutely going to trip people up.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Fast mana like that in blue/black feels bendy. Less of an issue for black/green, though green doesn't dabble in fast mana particularly much. Rare is probably right here, more for Body than Mind.
(2.5/3) Balance - It potentially can generate a ton of mana, but the life cost is pretty tremendous, especially since Body is 6 mana. At the point that you have 6 mana, you might have taken enough of a beating to be unable to survive. Less of an issue in Commander, where this could be popular.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - What's going on here feels quite unique indeed.
(3/3) Flavor - Good on your for finding a good unused split card naming pair. The effects do make sense here I feel.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Should be "that card's power", not "that creature's power"

Total: 21/25
Scores (Bold Advance)
Show
Hide
slimytrout - 22.5
bravelion83 - 22
Rithaniel - 22
Caspernicus - 21
StonerOfKruphix - 20
KB52665 - 20
Komandon - 20

Freyleyes - 18.5

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 8 months ago

haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Not really a Txmmy card by its nature, but Jxnnys and at least Jxnny-leaning Spikes are salivating - over some very silly things with fetchlands and self-mill maybe?
(2/3) Elegance - Quite a few moving parts here, but all of these abilities are comprehensible.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Black feels kind of like an edge case here, but I can see it, given that this is definitely a throwback card - Mana Skimmer vibes. Green and rare are clearly right.
(2.5/3) Balance - I'm pretty sure this is only doing degenerate things if there are broken cards around it? Regardless, it's still a cheap combo enabler, so should be at least a little wary of it.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - While this is a clear Squandered Resources homage, it's also doing some quite different things.
(3/3) Flavor - I dig it - and the use of Wastes - and the correct referring to Wastes (by name).

Polish
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yup, done.

Total: 21.5/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes big mana and having a board full of Goblins. It's a bit, well, obvious for Jxnny but there are many things Jxnny wants to do that this nevertheless enables. Spike is all for this to accelerate out some kind of wincon in a Goblin deck.
(3/3) Elegance - Hard to argue with.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely red... definitely rare.
(2/3) Balance - I would at least be pretty wary of a design like this, if for no other reason than that it can pretty readily produce CCC or more on turn 4 and more and more mana thereafter, which is a hefty rate of acceleration. There are EDH decks I can think of that would always include this, such as the likes of Prossh, Skyraider of Kher and many (but not all) straight-up Goblin tribal decks.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - This is very much a combination of super familiar effects in a new way.
(1.5/3) Flavor - Not really grabbing me. The name is generic - what goblin? Why is it a globe specifically? But it does its job in at least making sense.

Polish
(1/2) Subchallenges - Does not produce colored mana.

Total: 19.5/25
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Neither Txmmy nor Spike is impressed here, but Jxnny might like the Phyrexian Eldrazi Spawn token for its uniqueness.
(2.5/3) Elegance - None of this card's abilities do anything particularly complicated, but I'm marking a bit off here because it refers to three(!) non-evergreen keywords without any reminder text.

Development
(2/3) Viability - This is a card with black abilities - making a token with toxic, the -3 ability - as one as obligate colorless ones. But although the existing seven compleated planeswalkers all are mythic, this really doesn't feel like it fits the standard. More on that below.
(1/3) Balance - Comparing to the existing 4CMC compleated 'walkers - specifically to Jace, the Perfected Mind, the only monocolored one, Purleos really underwhelms, to the point where I think this would be considered a truly bad mythic. Jace can self-protect while gaining instead of losing loyalty, immediately draw one or three cards while milling and still survive, or use a more flexible mill ability, including self-destructing to mill nine or twelve cards. Purleos's abilities are all very low-impact by comparison, but perhaps more telling is comparing to Lukka, Bound to Ruin. While Lukka is multicolored and costs one more mana, he's basically similar but better by far in every important way - generating two mana instead of one with his plus loyalty ability, creating a much better token with toxic (a 3/3 versus a 1/1), and removing potentially multiple creatures/planeswalkers instead of relatively weak one-creature removal with the ultimate.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - As noted, this card follows an extremely similar pattern to one of the compleated planeswalkers that already exists, and none of the abilities is all that innovative. However, it features a new combination of keywords and colorless Phyrexian mana, which are new.
(2/3) Flavor - This is a new character planeswalker so I can't really relate to them unfortunately. However, the name seems to jell with the mechanics as a character who was touched by the Eldrazi and then compleated. I just wish the abilities were higher-impact and maybe a bit more innovative.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Good.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Doesn't make colored mana.

Total: 16/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy, Jxnny, and Spike would all be interested in this style of big mana.
(3/3) Elegance - Definitely very elegant.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely red and rare.
(1.5/3) Balance - The balance here would really depend on the environment around this card. Kaladesh Standard showed that energy counters are a very very very powerful mechanic if there are a few good cards using them, and this makes two energy per turn - obviously the biggest problems at that time were actually Smuggler's Copter and Copycat, but energy has all of the features needed for a dominant mechanic particularly with its self-synergy. I would also worry that a heavy amount of ramp is just too easy to charge up with this card - not too hard to deliver a lethal X spell after a few turns of this.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - This is basically a pure mana rock, but it's a new twist on a familiar idea.
(3/3) Flavor - Love to see Daretti back at the work of crazed tinkering.

Polish
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - This card - and probably the idea of Structures as laid out here - is probably a pure Txmmy/Jxnny/multiplayer-fan idea that Spike would never use, particularly not in a two-player game.
(2/3) Elegance - Reading the reminder text does basically leave me with no questions on how Structures work, yet this is still a very new subtype with its own rules that presents four abilities/options.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely rare with this level of complexity. Blue feels okay particularly if this part of a cycle of mana making Structures.
(2/3) Balance - My first instinct is to say this is probably a bit underpowered? Sure, you could use this to generate CCCCUU right away... if you have six creatures without summoning sickness. Everyone benefits from Structures even if you make them somewhat asymmetrical in the design, and your opponent will probably destroy this with the last ability as soon as you pass the turn. To that point, I would have made that last ability something like "Destroy Well at Town-Square. Its controller draws two cards."

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - A whole new type like this is definitely unique.
(3/3) Flavor - Yeah, I get the sense of a communal resource and specifically a well from this.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - A couple of grammar mistakes in the reminder text.

Total: 21/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy wants this in EDH. Plenty of different factors to play with for Jxnny. Spike likes the versatility and basically always-useful nature of this card.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Two somewhat wordy abilities that nevertheless aren't truly complex. I do kind of wish the activated ability let you keep the mana as steps and phases end until the end of the turn.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Looks red, looks rare, but I question the white mana connection. "Raging Stars" is a RW concept, but while red destroys artifacts plenty, the other color that's really associated with it is green, with white's artifact removal being more marginal. But that's really just a quibble.
(3/3) Balance - In a two-player game, this looks fair. In a multiplayer game, the mana it generates can be more explosive, sure, but it'll also be an immediate target for artifact removal, so there's that.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Kind of like a Blinkmoth Urn-Copper Tablet-Deconstruct kinda thing?
(2/3) Flavor - A bit abstract, but I dig it. Radiation from the stars, huh?

Polish

CunningGabe
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Mostly a Jxnny (CCC ability)/Spike (mana rock with emergency removal) card with not much for Txmmy.
(1.5/3) Elegance - The mana ability that adds colorless OR colored mana and the triple-colorless ability cost both seem awkward until you realize they feed into each other. This card also adds some tracking complexity and does in fact have three activated abilities...

Development
(2/3) Viability - Yeah, I'd say this is rare. Be careful with hybrid mana though - that last ability is not something that can be done in mono-blue, so this is effectively a color pie break in that way.
(3/3) Balance - Basically a versatile card that's never bad and occasionally REALLY comes in in the clutch.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Never seen a mana rock give out ability counters/change creature types permanently before. Otherwise, every other part of this card is familiar.
(2/3) Flavor - Not sure what the obligate-colorless mana has to do with any Faeries we know of in the multiverse - I guess this is actually a whole new thing from an unknown setting.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - One spacing mistake in the last ability cost.

Total: 18.5/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
Subject16 22
kwanyeegor-ii 22
haywire 21.5
netn10 21
marioguy3 19.5
CunningGabe 18.5

AnotherAlias 16
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

And with that, we have 13 contestants advancing! I'll try to get the next round up ASAP.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”