The Community Deck Build Project v9.0

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 8 months ago

I will yeah Fervent charge.

I know Graveyard Trespasser is proactive and not reactive, but we are a proactive deck. We aren't leaving mana up to react. We are applying pressure from the start. If it interrupts someone's exhume plan then great. If it is making it harder for players to delve that works too.
Scavenger Grounds is one source of exiling graveyards and we have no ways to tutor it. I don't think this is a gameplan, no matter how many deserts we run. We need some redundancy.
I would love something that vindicates on attack lol. Or disenchants.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 8 months ago

Graveyard Trespasser // Graveyard Glutton yay - 1 nay - 1
Fervent Charge yay - 1 nay - 0

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/5JGLDfA7OEy0ZaPb3Nw9QQ

Slow weekends as they are, let's keep discussion going.
Dunharrow wrote:
8 months ago
Scavenger Grounds is one source of exiling graveyards and we have no ways to tutor it. I don't think this is a gameplan, no matter how many deserts we run. We need some redundancy.
Something, something, Expedition Map I'd guess. If we were in G I enjoy some Shefet Monitor, says the one person with an actual desert package :P .
Dunharrow wrote:
8 months ago
I would love something that vindicates on attack lol. Or disenchants.
Ashen Rider and Archon of Cruelty are probably the closest. And they're not quite there.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 8 months ago

Yea for Fervent Charge. It'll probably overperform here.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 8 months ago

Whoa my "cute & cuddly" pest made the cut? Maybe I should name Goblin Wardriver next. Or Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin 😂

I'll yay the werewolf withered wretch, no one will two for one themselves to get rid of this I think! Of course fervent charge will make it in, because I'm gonna be the one to make sure of it, yep! 👀

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 8 months ago

3drinks wrote:
8 months ago
Slow weekends as they are, let's keep discussion going.
And we are back for another work week!

Yay on Fervent Charge, thats a nice old card.
Yay on Tresspasser.
On the topic of graveyard hate, I think that Rule 0 and the social contract has stirred people away from combo wins making instant speed gy hate less of a priority. Instead we have decks that use the gy as incremental value and critters like Tresspasser work wonders against them.

Having said all that, my nomination is Urborg Scavengers. I like the effect enough to double dip.

3drinks

Graveyard Trespasser // Graveyard Glutton yay - 3 nay - 1
Fervent Charge yay - 4 nay - 0

Urborg Scavengers yay - 0 nay - 0

On the clock will be myself and @gsgfdf. I'm still thinking here.
gsgfdf wrote:
8 months ago
On the topic of graveyard hate, I think that Rule 0 and the social contract has stirred people away from combo wins making instant speed gy hate less of a priority. Instead we have decks that use the gy as incremental value and critters like Tresspasser work wonders against them.
I've never actually had a rule 0 discussion. He says, after having just played Ragavan on Saturday and flipping dowsing dagger t3 into Uba Mask. They then asked me if I had another deck. :rofl:

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

There's a lot of finishers I wanna name but everyone will do that and we don't have anything else. So let's go back to basics with Swords to Plowshares.

I'd yay Urborg scavengers too, I think.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Does Urborg Scavengers mean we can justify Zetalpa, Primal Dawn? 👀🙈

I think I yay both of these cards. I'm not excited to play the scavengers but they're probably strong enough!

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 8 months ago

Yea swords auto include the others are tough I had some good luck recently with Sungold in an Argro deck recently but 3 mana feels so much more I'm going to go nay just so many good 3 drop options and way to easy to ruin a curve playing too many of them,

gsgfdf

Yay on Swords, we need to cover the basics.
I would like to nominate Anguished Unmaking, hope you don't mind the unexciting proposal!

3drinks

I feel like we've had this conversation before, but is Anguished Unmaking good enough to be played before Generous Gift? And, similarly I'd argue that Excise the Imperfect is also better than unmaking. I think there's another adjacent effect from a recent set (goldfish talked about these) but I can't recall off the top of my head. At any rate, I don't think I can yay anguished unmaking before these typically better cards are confirmed first.

I think my yay on scavengers is going to be contentious on if we have/expect to see keyword soup creatures. Because the effect isn't really good as a singular hit, right? We need to be deriving value off it, and we can't say that at present with our deck composition.

Swords to Plowshares yay - 3 nay - 0
Urborg Scavengers yay - 2 nay - 1
Anguished Unmaking yay - 0 nay - 1

On the clock today we finish the next cycle with @aliciaofthevast and @toctheyounger.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Moxnix

Nay unmaking for kind of the same reason I feel like this deck wants its targeted removals in the 1-2 cc slots not 3. I don't think this deck wants this gift or imperfect either. The commander cost 3 there will already be lots of things that synergize well also at 3 and any more than 12ish cards in that slot always feels clunky.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 8 months ago

3drinks wrote:
8 months ago
I think my yay on scavengers is going to be contentious on if we have/expect to see keyword soup creatures. Because the effect isn't really good as a singular hit, right? We need to be deriving value off it, and we can't say that at present with our deck composition.
Yea this, really. If we can bake some in, sure.

I'm going to nay Unmaking. While it is good, it's not where we want to be for CMC, I think we want lower, or stuff baked into creatures or equipment ideally.

I'm gonna nominate Sigarda's Vanguard. Might be a contentious pick and that's ok, most of mine have been picks I thought were pretty sure. Flash is nice, double strike is nice, and with the coven trigger I'm guessing this is quite often going to be a double strike anthem. It's a very red zone card, it's done pretty well for me in Bruna so why not give it a punt on making the cut?
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Moxnix

sigarda I think 4-6 is exactly where we want these value aggro mid range guys the combo with the commander, I have never used this and the doubling down doesn't "work" here but it does get around the power check and maybe double strikes the whole team I would at least test something like this. Yay from me. I actually liked scavengers effect I just want it at 2 not 3.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I'm about back from break but before I forget I wanna nominate Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin. I'll respond to everything when I'm home;

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I think holding up three to answer one card is a really hard ask in this era. It's got versatility and it exiles, but.......

Sigarda's Vanguard is interesting, I never saw it before and that's a pretty good trigger to hit! I think I'd roll with it too. I like how it doesn't actually target so greaves doesn't inhibit it.

Moxnix

Yay krenko

gsgfdf

I am genuinely shocked with the negative reception of Anguished Unmaking. I rate the versatility and exiling pretty highly, the only one that I would pick higher is Assassin's Trophy. Compared with Generous Gift, I prefer the exile. There are very few lands that I would nuke unconditionaly, basically only Cradle and Coffers. I would never use Generous Gift/Beast Within to color or mana screw an opponent.

Anyway, yay on Sigarda and Krenko.

3drinks

I was going to say something about sig vanguard not needing Isshin as it targets any number of requisite cards, but it looks like it's already confirmed anyway. Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice is likely better at this, but this card is just fine and handing out double strike like free candy and naps from the unmarked panel van is pretty clearly a blowout waiting to happen.

I'll be the confirming yay on Krenko too. I like that unlike Goblin Rabblemaster, it makes the tokens and grows on attacks rather than beginning of combat and it still grows quadratically in a way that Krenko, Mob Boss doesn't.

Urborg Scavengers yay - 2 nay - 1
Anguished Unmaking yay - 0 nay - 4
Sigarda's Vanguard yay - 3 nay - 0
Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin yay - 3 nay - 0

On the clock today will be @Dunharrow and @Moxnix.
gsgfdf wrote:
8 months ago
I am genuinely shocked with the negative reception of Anguished Unmaking. I rate the versatility and exiling pretty highly, the only one that I would pick higher is Assassin's Trophy. Compared with Generous Gift, I prefer the exile. There are very few lands that I would nuke unconditionally, basically only Cradle and Coffers. I would never use Generous Gift/Beast Within to color or mana screw an opponent.
I think it's not as much an inability to hit lands (though I do value this highly), but holding up three mv to hit a single card kind of sucks in this modern age. That seems to be the consensus from my reading, which I agree on. I think people want more efficiently costed interaction in this age, even if it might be more narrow; I know I'd value Abrade or Cathartic Pyre more, myself. Probably Wild Magic Surge as well, though that is a bit special and I don't think it's quite a parallel argument in relation to Anguished Unmaking. If I'm paying three for {single} interaction, it had better be like a Chef's Kiss to at least turn it into a two for one.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Moxnix

Its an aggro deck so I'm going to go with serra ascendant. This is maybe the best aggressive t1 card in the format and it can do a lot of early damage to setup a fast kill while gaining us life and then trading with a removal that our bigger guys now don't eat.

3drinks

I think Serra Ascendant is trash that encourages keeping sketch hands and taking bad mulls "because you might see it" and it doesn't even do anything with the commander. So I'm gonna hard nay this.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I don't think it's trash, that's harsh, but I think something that needs to come down on t1 to be good is highly suspect. Idk, there's a reason I haven't played this thing in actual years I think...so I will nay Serra Ascendant.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 8 months ago

Yay scavengers. Been a busy week, I missed a lot.
Nay Serra Ascendant

I will nominate Savior of Ollenbock. I like how you can use it to recur your dudes if you have no good targets to exile.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Moxnix

I don't think it has to come down on turn 1 to be good its a 1 drop aggro card you just have to be above 30. The logic of people will play poorly and mull to it at their own detriment or keep bad hands with it doesn't make any sense to me at all though XD. If the deck doesn't have life gain and you think its a bad draw later that's one thing but to assume people will play poorly because its in the deck is just silly. I would also argue it has excellent synergy with the aggressive game plan of a deck like this I cant think of many other cards I would want to play more turn 1 in an aggro deck. That being said it is certainly better when you have ways of gaining life so its not a poor topdeck later in the game especially if you plan on playing cards to eat your own life say necro . But in a deck that wants to flood the field with creatures and swing it can have easily hit for 30 or more damage by kill turn if unanswered. The quick pressure has players waste tempo to remove it quickly after your drain life them for 12-18 for 1 mana.

3drinks

I don't know what to make of Savior. The fact it puts the bodies back on the battlefield (as opposed to Angel of Serenity) makes me not want to use this as removal, ever. Using it as a recursion engine tells me it's also a high priority target. Hmm, I think this is a nay. I'd love to be convinced otherwise though.

Urborg Scavengers yay - 3 nay - 1
Serra Ascendant yay - 0 nay - 3
Savior of Ollenbock yay - 0 nay - 1

Moxnix wrote:
8 months ago
The logic of people will play poorly and mull to it at their own detriment or keep bad hands with it doesn't make any sense to me at all though XD.
But they do. It's either a removal check or it's a salt button "I lost, let's see them deal with me now". It doesn't any real synergy outside a soul sisters build, or Dina, Soul Steeper if it had w. At least Esper Sentinel will replace itself. It is good to teach players why removal is important to play, and breaks the asinine SpOt ReMoVaL iS cArD dIsAdVaNtAgE argument. Idk, I play lots of removal so I don't get the appeal. Do you regularly play against people too light on removal?
Moxnix wrote:
8 months ago
But in a deck that wants to flood the field with creatures and swing it can have easily hit for 30 or more damage by kill turn if unanswered. The quick pressure has players waste tempo to remove it quickly after your drain life them for 12-18 for 1 mana.
Or...similar to the sol ring problem players identify you're the threat and take turns kicking you in the junk. And for what? A single large under costed creature in the early game. Just play Tarmogoyf instead which at least is always sizable for it's cost. But no one is playing Goyf either.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”