September MCC Round 3 - The second best adventure of my life

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 8 months ago

MCC-WOE.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the cards A Tale for the Ages by Julie Dillon and Evolving Wilds by Alayna Danner.)

September MCC Round 3

The second best adventure of my life

As is tradition by now, this month we will celebrate the latest set, in this case Wilds of Eldraine, by exploring its mechanics and themes, as usual in this kind of MCC months.

Ok, last time I shared a piece of my song lyrics. This time I'll talk to you about one of my characters in the big story I've written and that goes with the first set in my big table that I've talked about several times. A few of you might know about the main custom plane of mine, that's called Vukanat. It's the setting of that story. The main characters are a group of seven people going on an adventure. Out of those seven people, only one is human. One is a leonin. No, he's not Jeff Lionheart. Jeff will be involved with Vukanat, but in future stories that I've already planned but not written yet. This one is a planebound leonin native to Vukanat. His name is… Ok, I'll do another thing that I've never done before, which is sharing publicly the name of one of the main characters from Vukanat. His name is Krest Muchkal. He has a very complicated and highly emotional backstory that I'm not going to share now. I'll just say that the fact that he's still alive today is a very big thing, he went through some very big trouble as a child and had to overcome it. That child was able to come out of that and is now a very positive-minded adult. The last thing he wants is others having to go through the same pain he had to go through as a child, so he's always there to help and support others, regardless of anything. If one of the mechanics from this set reminded me of a song of mine, another one, the return of Adventures, made me think about Krest because of a very important line that he says once he's back home after the big travel that is the main plot of my story. Talking about that travel while telling it to his father, he calls it "the second best adventure of my life". His father replies asking what is the best one then if this is the second best. And Krest replies to that, and I'll leave you with his answer with no explanation but it's explained explicitly in an earlier chapter of the story: "Knowing you, dad."

This was originally going to be Round 2 of this month, and it was going to be titled "The second best adventure of my life", after Krest's quote. Then I swapped it with Round 3, that's the one about Roles, because I thought that more people would have liked to play with the shiny new and exciting thing from the set earlier in the month than Round 3. So I swapped them, but I still liked too much Krest's quote as a round title, so I kept it anyway.

Main Challenge - Design a creature and/or enchantment card that has an Adventure.

Subchallenge 1 - One between the main card's mana cost and the Adventure's mana cost is exactly two colors, and the other one is monocolored.

Subchallenge 2 - The Adventure's mana value is equal to or greater than the card's main mana value.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge

• Your card has to meet the two following requirements at the same time:

1 - It's an adventurer card, as defined in Rule 715 of the CR.
CR (WOE), Rule 715, whole text for reference
Show
Hide
715. Adventurer Cards

715.1. Adventurer cards have a two-part card frame, with a smaller frame inset within their text box.

715.2. The text that appears in the inset frame on the left defines alternative characteristics that the object may have while it's a spell. The card's normal characteristics appear as usual, although with a smaller text box on the right.

715.2a If an effect refers to a card, spell, or permanent that "has an Adventure," it refers to an object for which these alternative characteristics exist, even if the object currently doesn't use them.

715.2b The existence and values of these alternative characteristics is part of the object's copiable values.

715.2c Although adventurer cards are printed with multiple sets of characteristics, each adventurer card is only one card. For example, a player who has drawn or discarded an adventurer card has drawn or discarded one card, not two.

715.3. As a player casts an adventurer card, the player chooses whether they cast the card normally or as an Adventure.

715.3a When casting an adventurer card as an Adventure, only the alternative characteristics are evaluated to see if it can be cast.

715.3b While on the stack as an Adventure, the spell has only its alternative characteristics.

715.3c If an Adventure spell is copied, the copy is also an Adventure. It has the alternative characteristics of the spell and not the normal characteristics of the card that represents the Adventure spell. Any rule or effect that refers to a spell cast as an Adventure refers to the copy as well.

715.3d Instead of putting a spell that was cast as an Adventure into its owner's graveyard as it resolves, its controller exiles it. For as long as that card remains exiled, that player may cast it. It can't be cast as an Adventure this way, although other effects that allow a player to cast it may allow a player to cast it as an Adventure.

715.4. In every zone except the stack, and while on the stack not as an Adventure, an adventurer card has only its normal characteristics.

715.5. If an effect instructs a player to choose a card name and the player wants to choose an adventurer card's alternative name, the player may do so.
2 - In the card's normal type line, there is the "creature" card type, the "enchantment" card type, or both. In other words, your main card can be an ordinary creature, an ordinary enchantment (either a "global" one or an Aura, both count), or an enchantment creature like those from Theros and modern Kamigawa.

• Your card can have additional card type in addition to the required "creature" and/or "enchantment" one. For example, you can make an "Artifact Creature" that has an Adventure, or even an "Enchantment Artifact Creature" if you're feeling courageous. The Embereth court would be proud of you and your courage! Beware of the type line length though, if you do that you won't have much room left for subtypes.

• While Rule 715 doesn't explicitly say it, remember that the Adventure part must be an instant or sorcery. It's implied anyway by rule 715.3d, which says: "Instead of putting a spell that was cast as an Adventure into its owner's graveyard as it resolves, its controller exiles it." The only spells that are put directly into their owner's graveyard as they resolve are instants and sorceries, all other card types are put onto the battlefield as they resolve, not in the graveyard. The only exception is the "tribal" card type, that can go either way depending on which other card type is paired with, as it can't exist on its own. It's also implied by Adventure being an instant/sorcery subtype. You can theoretically try to make the Adventure part something else that's not an instant or sorcery, but that would require a rather heavy adjustment to these rules, definitely big enough that you can't just assume it in your submission here. Personally, I would heavily advise you not to do it and stick to making your card's Adventure part an instant or sorcery.

• As for how to post an adventurer card in text form, I had made a clarification about that for the original Throne of Eldraine MCC month (October 2019), which I also hosted. I have recovered that and I'll repost it here as it's still valid now and relevant for this round.
ELD MCC (October 2019) wrote: Q: How should I format my adventurer card?
A: Just like if it were a split card. Write the creature part as a normal text card, then add a separator below it (a double forward slash, //, is advised), and then write the Adventure part as it would be written on the left side of a real adventurer card's text box. In the Adventure part, don't forget the "Adventure" subtype and not only you can not put rarity in, but you should not. On real adventurer cards, there is no colored expansion symbol on the type line of the Adventure part.

For example, Flaxen Intruder would be written out like follows.

Flaxen Intruder G
Creature — Human Berserker (U)
Whenever Flaxen Intruder deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice it. When you do, destroy target artifact or enchantment.
The middle blade was just right.
1/2

//

Welcome Home 5GG
Sorcery — Adventure
Create three 2/2 green Bear creature tokens. (Then exile this card. You may cast the creature later from exile.)

Subchallenge 1

• There are two mana costs on an adventurer card: the main one, which is where most Magic cards have it, in the upper right corner of the card, and the Adventure's mana cost, which is part of the Adventure mini-frame on the left of the text box. For the sake of clarity, let's just call them respectively the "main mana cost" and the "Adventure mana cost".

Given that, to pass this Subchallenge your card must fall into one of the following two cases:
1 - The main mana cost is exactly two-colored AND the Adventure mana cost is monocolored at the same time.
2 - The main mana cost is monocolored AND the Adventure mana cost is exactly two-colored at the same time.

• For the two-colored mana cost, whichever one it is, both traditional gold and hybrid count.

• The monocolored mana cost, whichever one it is, can be one of colors that are already contained in the other mana cost, the two-colored one, or a different third color. In the former case, the resulting card's color identity will be two-colored, while in the latter case it will be three-colored. Either case is fine as far as this Subchallenge is concerned, as it only checks ordinary color and not color identity.

• A consequence of this Subchallenge only checking ordinary color and not color identity is that you can have all the off-color mana symbols in the rules text that you want, as they only alter the card's color identity and not its color(s).

• As far as I know, there are no existing cards that would pass this Subchallenge. There were no off-color Adventures until this set (WOE), and the only one with multicolored mana costs is Beluna, which has a three-colored main mana cost and a three-colored Adventure mana cost, and this Subchallenge has been specifically worded to NOT care about mana costs with three or more colors in them. That's why it says "exactly two colors". The required two-colored mana cost must contain specifically two colors, not one, not three, or more than three. Exactly two.

Subchallenge 2

• If we adopt the terminology defined above changing "mana cost" to "mana value", you could word this Subchallenge as follows:

The Adventure mana value is equal to or greater than the main mana value.

Maybe this way is clearer.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the MCC discussion thread.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Thursday, September 28th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Sunday, October 1st 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83
void_nothing

PLAYERS

@AnotherAlias
@haywire
@kwanyeegor-ii
@netn10
@Raptorchan
@slimytrout

A reminder to everyone:
In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Please check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. Link in my signature. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.

BRACKETS

I've rolled d6's and these pairings are the result:

AnotherAlias vs. kwanyeegor-ii
haywire vs. Raptorchan
netn10 vs. slimytrout

Both judges will judge all cards, and the highest combined score in each pairing will advance to the final round. Let the judging begin!
Last edited by bravelion83 8 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Raptorchan
Vidauna's Hand
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 8 months ago

Valiant Tailor rw
Creature — Human Peasant (U)
First strike, prowess
"Look at my sash and see who I am!"
2/2
//
Seven at One Blow 1r
Instant — Adventure
Seven at One Blow deals 1 damage to each of up to seven targets.
Last edited by Raptorchan 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 8 months ago

Pubescent Spiritualists
Creature - Human Wizard (Common)
Spirits you control get +1/+0.
Their fingers move without their input as the spirits speak back.
1/1

//

Contact Spirits
Instant - Adventure
Create two 1/1 white and black Spirit creature tokens with flying.

haywire

Post by haywire » 8 months ago

Ashbloom Hydra XXGW
Creature — Hydra {R}
Ashbloom Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Ashbloom Hydra enters the battlefield, return up to X target permanents with mana value 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield. Draw a card for each land that entered the battlefield this way.
0/0
//
Uncontrollable Flame 3RR
Sorcery — Adventure
Uncontrollable Flame deals 3 damage to each creature. Whenever a nontoken creature dealt damage this way dies this turn, it deals 2 damage to its controller unless they sacrifice a land.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

The design deadline is in a little more than 24 hours and we still miss submissions from the following players:

@kwanyeegor-ii
@netn10
@slimytrout
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 8 months ago

Page Turner 1U
Creature — Elemental (U)
Flying
When Page Turner enters the battlefield, you may draw cards equal to its power. If you do, discard a card.
1/2
//
Elemental Education 1{r/g}
Sorcery — Adventure
Until end of turn, creatures you control enter the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on them.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 8 months ago

Age of Critical Thinking 1UR
Enchantment (Rare)
At beginning of your end step, discard your hand, then draw a card for each card you scried to the bottom this turn.
////
Educate the Masses 1WW
Sorcery - Adventure (Rare)
For each creature you control, create a Sorcerer Role token attached to that creature.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 8 months ago

Glorious Dead 2BB
Creature - Spirit Knight (Rare)
Glorious Dead has first strike, lifelink, and menace as long as it's your turn.
4/4
/ADV/
Barrow Honors 3WB
Sorcery - Adventure
Each player sacrifices a creature, then draws cards equal to the number of creatures they control that died this turn.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

The round is closed. This is the versus round. Pairings coming soon.

BRACKETS

I've rolled d6's and these pairings are the result:

AnotherAlias vs. kwanyeegor-ii
haywire vs. Raptorchan
netn10 vs. slimytrout

Both judges will judge all cards, and the highest combined score in each pairing will advance to the final round. Let the judging begin!

Judgments complete. Sorry for the delay.
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
8 months ago
Pubescent Spiritualists
Creature - Human Wizard (Common)
Spirits you control get +1/+0.
Their fingers move without their input as the spirits speak back.
1/1

//

Contact Spirits
Instant - Adventure
Create two 1/1 white and black Spirit creature tokens with flying.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes tokens and pumping them as well as his other Spirits, but the main half looks a bit too small for him. Johnny could use the tokens in several unintended ways. Spike immediately asks whether this is the next Lingering Souls, and she's excited at the thought that it might be.
Elegance 3/3 - Hard to do better here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - +1/+0 feels more red than white to me, but white can certainly do that too. I think this is acceptable at common. No problems with the rules.
Balance 3/3 - The Adventure part heavily reminds me of Lingering Souls, and that's quite a lot to say if you remember how heavily it was played in Standard in its day. It even had to be banned, even if I personally have my doubts about that banning. I hope not having flashback, and thus losing the ability to make four tokens with one card, is enough to make it balanced at three mana. Anyway, certainly playable in limited, and probably in Standard too, just like the aforementioned Lingering Souls. I feel like a lot of the power here is in the Adventure half, which is not wrong in itself, but it's the opposite direction than the one they took in WOE. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 0.5/3 - Nothing new here, sorry.
Flavor 3/3 - A group of only apparently brave teenagers venturing into territory best left unexplored and that they shouldn't venture into. It works perfectly.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good. Hyphens instead of em dashes but your direct opponent also did that, so no deduction for that.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 22/25

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
8 months ago
Glorious Dead 2BB
Creature - Spirit Knight (Rare)
Glorious Dead has first strike, lifelink, and menace as long as it's your turn.
4/4
/ADV/
Barrow Honors 3WB
Sorcery - Adventure
Each player sacrifices a creature, then draws cards equal to the number of creatures they control that died this turn.
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes a good creature that comes with removal attached to it. He doesn't like sacrificing his own stuff, but if he wants to avoid that he can just play the creature as normal, so that's not a problem. Johnny can do tricks involving sacrifice engines with the Adventure. Spike likes a card that's a creature with a good rate AND removal at the same time.
Elegance 2.5/3 - The Adventure also drawing cards for creatures that died before it for other causes might be a little unintuitive to some players. No problems with the rest.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - The Adventure might be a bend for white, but with the new philosophy on white card draw I feel it is acceptable. Also, first strike is only tertiary in black, but that's mostly because of Black Knight, and here you're piggybacking on that with this card also being a black Knight, so I feel that's also a bend but an acceptable one. Rare feels correct to me. I see no problems with the rules.
Balance 3/3 - An edict that also draws you cards and then gives you a creature with a good rate (4/4 with upside for four mana) feels like it might easily be relevant in Standard and not just limited. I see you've applied the most recent philosophy for first strike, which is to have it work only when attacking, and you also applied it to lifelink and menace. Menace is an ability that already only works on attack, but lifelink isn't, and I feel that most of the reasons for having first strike only on attack might also apply to lifelink. You want to encourage the game moving forward, and a defending creature that gains you life while also gumming up the board and preventing good attacks might indeed be undesirable from a design point of view. I see no problems in casual and multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - The card drawing in the Adventure is a nice new twist for white card draw. All the rest is nothing new.
Flavor 2.5/3 - Maybe a bit generic, but it works.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good. Hyphens instead of em dashes but your direct opponent also did that, so no deduction for that.
TOTAL 22.5/25

haywire
Show
Hide
haywire wrote:
8 months ago
Ashbloom Hydra XXGW
Creature — Hydra {R}
Ashbloom Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Ashbloom Hydra enters the battlefield, return up to X target permanents with mana value 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield. Draw a card for each land that entered the battlefield this way.
0/0
//
Uncontrollable Flame 3RR
Sorcery — Adventure
Uncontrollable Flame deals 3 damage to each creature. Whenever a nontoken creature dealt damage this way dies this turn, it deals 2 damage to its controller unless they sacrifice a land.
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy loves everything about this card. Johnny can use both the punisher effect and the reanimation in unexpected ways. Spikes likes this as symmetrical removal that turns into asymmetric if and when you cast the creature later, and on top of that the creature can also draw you cards, that's also relevant to her.
Elegance 1.5/3 - The text is quite long and doesn't really fit in the Adventure frame (also see Quality), and it's also a bit too convoluted.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - There is a remark I have to make about the card drawing tied to the lands. I think that's supposed to be the green part, but they made it very clear recently that green card draw should only be tied to creatures and not to lands, even though green is the first color in interacting with lands. I personally see nothing wrong with green card draw being also tied to lands, but here I have to judge based on their principles, not my personal opinion on them. For what it's worth, I'm perfectly fine even with Harmonize, that's considered a break now. Rarity is obviously correct. No problems with the rules.
Balance 3/3 - The Flame also hits your permanents, but you can bring them back with the Hydra. There is a very strong synergy here between the Adventure and the main spell, and that's good. In limited it might be hard to have access to RR and GW in the same deck but not impossible. In constructed that's way easier, and I feel like this could see some Standard play. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - As I often say, well-known pieces put together in a technically new way, but only in the sense of "never done before".
Flavor 2/3 - While the two parts do work together quite well from a mechanical point of view, the flavor connection doesn't feel as strong to me. The "Ashbloom" part makes me think that this Hydra is like a Phoenix that rises from the ashes of the flame, and that's good, but if it is like a Phoenix, then why isn't it an actual Phoenix? The main part could have been a Boros (or even Naya)-colored Phoenix and still work, even though you'd probably have to change drawing cards for each land to dealing damage for each land if you make it RW. I feel like the flavor could benefit from that change though.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - The text is a bit too long to fit in the Adventure frame, and that's true for both parts. (-0.5)
Main Challenge 1.5/2 - Good. You found a way to pass Subchallenge 2 that I didn't think about. If I had, I would have explicitly forbidden the use of X in that Subchallenge. What I wanted is that you had to spend more mana to cast the Adventure than the ordinary spell. Caring about mana value was the easiest way to do that. Essentially, I had built a logical system and you found and exploited an unintentional hole in it. I hope you understand that to me, the creator of that system, that doesn't feel good at all and I'm not happy about that. I admit it's clever, but it's also not what I wanted. I'll give you half points for Subchallenge 2, because you met the letter of the law but not the spirit of the law.
TOTAL 19.5/25

Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Raptorchan wrote:
8 months ago
Valiant Tailor rw
Creature — Human Peasant (U)
First strike, prowess
"Look at my sash and see who I am!"
2/2
//
Seven at One Blow 1r
Instant — Adventure
Seven at One Blow deals 1 damage to each of up to seven targets.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy likes everything here, even if this is a bit on the smaller side to him. Not too much for Johnny here. Spike likes the very good rate on the Tailor and would already play it by itself even if it didn't have an Adventure.
Elegance 3/3 - Hard to do better than this.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - First strike is in both colors and prowess is in red, so no problems with the color pie. This card looks quite strong at uncommon to me, maybe it would be better suited for rare, but all rarities need some strong cards after all. No problems with the rules.
Balance 3/3 - There is no actual synergy between the Adventure and the creature, but that can be said of many real adventurer cards as well, so I can't blame you for that. Definitely playable in limited. In Standard this is tempting, especially because the Tailor is a bear that can grow already (thanks to prowess) all by itself, and with first strike on top of that. Bears with upside are nothing new, we've seen a lot of those along the years, so while the rate of this card is very good, I don't think it's broken. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - None of the mechanical elements of this card is new, but how well they connect to the tale referenced by the flavor manages to give this card a unique identity. This card will be known as the "brave tailor" just as Flaxen Intruder is widely known as Magic's take on Goldilocks, even though there is nothing mechanically new there (except the Adventure mechanic at the time of Throne of Eldraine of course).
Flavor 3/3 - You managed to find a tale by the Grimm brothers that they didn't actually use in either of the two Eldraine sets, and that's noticeable. One of the titles even uses the word "Valiant", so that word being in this card's name isn't by chance either. I can see the research that went into the flavor of this card and I want to prize that.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good. As prowess is deciduous, I won't deduct any points for not including reminder text even at uncommon, but personally I would have included it as there is plenty of room for it here and it's become less frequent these days.
TOTAL 23/25

netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
8 months ago
Age of Critical Thinking 1UR
Enchantment (Rare)
At beginning of your end step, discard your hand, then draw a card for each card you scried to the bottom this turn.
////
Educate the Masses 1WW
Sorcery - Adventure (Rare)
For each creature you control, create a Sorcerer Role token attached to that creature.
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Nothing for Timmy here. Johnny loves the enchantment and would probably play it by itself even if it didn't have an Adventure. Spike is also not that interested in my opinion. You already must have a creature to give the Role to for the Adventure, and the enchantment is more forced card selection than real card advantage.
Elegance 2/3 - I feel like the text is easy to understand but the gameplay might not be that easy. You're not used to care about cards you scry to the bottom, and at the contrary, if you scry a card to the bottom it's exactly because you don't want it, so you just bottom it and no longer think about it. But if you play this card, you have to still care about it, and you have to remember to care about it.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - Sorcerer Role tokens are fine in white, as white is supposed to be the second best color to scry after blue, and the enchantment is essentially a variation on the wheel effect, that's red but can also be done in blue. The "scried to the bottom" part helps giving it more of a blue feeling. Rarity is definitely right. See Quality for the rules implications.
Balance 1.5/3 - This feels way more of a card meant for constructed more than limited to me. In limited you don't have much room for noncreature spells, and you usually want those to be removal or combat tricks. In constructed you can build your whole deck around this card, even though I'm not sure which kind of deck could be a good home for this. The Adventure looks best in a control deck that values scry highly, while the wheel effect would probably be better in an aggro deck, where at the end of your turn, you discard your empty or almost empty hand and refill it. It's also true though that this card might spawn a new archetype where you care about scrying cards to the bottom. I see no real problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - "scried to the bottom" deserves full points here all by itself. It's a rather easy development, yet one that feels very new and original.
Flavor 3/3 - This gives me the idea of a government essentially brainwashing its people in an even stronger way than fascism (and I can say that as a native Italian), that's the Adventure, that later falls, opening the way to freedom and "critical thinking", that's the main part of the card. Due to the way the Adventure mechanic works, that story holds in a very strong way. I also like the use of Sorcerer Role tokens to represent the brainwashing. Very good job.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - "At beginning" is clearly just a typo, -0.5 for the missing "the". The term "scried to the bottom" would need to be defined in the CR, probably as a subrule of scry, but I feel like that's very easy to implement, so easy that it doesn't deserve any deduction here. A hyphen instead of an em dash, and your opponent did it right instead, so I will deduct points for that here, sorry. (-0.5) You're correct that reminder text for Sorcerer Role tokens doesn't fit, so no deduction for that.
TOTAL 19.5/25

slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
8 months ago
Page Turner 1U
Creature — Elemental (U)
Flying
When Page Turner enters the battlefield, you may draw cards equal to its power. If you do, discard a card.
1/2
//
Elemental Education 1{r/g}
Sorcery — Adventure
Until end of turn, creatures you control enter the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on them.
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes the Adventure more than the main part probably, but that's fine. Johnny can use both the Adventure and the ETB of the main part for unintended purposes. Spike likes having a way of turning looting into real card advantage by pumping the creature, possibly also involving some kind of static anthem effect.
Elegance 3/3 - Not too long and very easy to understand.
Development
Viability 2/3 - No problems with the main part, I just don't see the red in the Adventure. I don't think the effect being temporary, only until end of turn, is enough to make it red. I think the Adventure should have been monogreen. No problems with rarity or the rules.
Balance 3/3 - Good synergy between the Adventure and the main part. Having the Turner enter with a +1/+1 counter on it due to you casting the Education earlier in the same turn allows you to turn looting into real card advantage. It costs four mana, sure, but you've got a 2/3 flyer that gave you a card (actually draw two and discard one). That's certainly good enough in limited, and maybe Standard too. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Nothing really new here. Having the card draw tied to the Turner's power feels good here though, as it can turn looting into real card advantage if you pump the creature. I can't remember right now any other existing ability that can turn from card parity into card advantage in a similar way as this card.
Flavor 3/3 - The main part's name is fine, but where the real good work is is the Adventure name in my opinion. In addition to the alliteration, it feels very familiar to me personally, as what here in Italy is now called "primary school" (like I think it's called in the US but I might be wrong) was once known as "scuola elementare" (literally "elementary school" in English I believe), so I can easily see this card translated into Italian as "Educazione Elementale", and I like the "elementare"/"elementale" pun too much. I admit it probably sounds better in Italian than in English, and here I have to judge the English name, but I think it also works very well in English too. I also think that flavor text doesn't fit here, but you managed to do it with just the card names. Good job!
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
TOTAL 23/25

Results
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias: 22
kwanyeegor-ii: 22.5

haywire: 19.5
Raptorchan: 23

netn10: 19.5
slimytrout: 23
Last edited by bravelion83 8 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Show
Hide

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 8 months ago

AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Mostly a Txmmy/Spike card, being an efficient way to create and pump tokens. Jxnny is less interested but it is one of the cheapest lords you could imagine, so that can be exploited.
(3/3) Elegance - Hard to argue with this elegance!

Development
(2/3) Viability - Colors look right - I have to question the rarity. Even at uncommon this seems borderline; for Limited purposes specifically this feels like it could even be rare.
(2/3) Balance - While a 1/1 is fragile, a one-mana creature granting mass +1/+0 is definitely pushed. Not overpowered necessarily, but would need playtesting - especially with Contact Spirits being an instant.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Plenty of Adventures make tokens, and although no Adventurer card currently existing is a lord for a creature type, Oakhame Ranger // Bring Back does something generally similar.
(2/3) Flavor - Not sure if this exactly fits Eldraine flavor (as I would expect from an adventurer card without otherwise being stated) and I'm struggling to figure out why some teenagers messing with a ouija board actually makes spirits more powerful. Other than these things not clicking, the main card and the Adventure have flavor that fit together.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 19.5/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes the creature half. Jxnny could do something with Barrow Honors in an aristocrats deck. Spike definitely likes versatile midrange creatures.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The Adventure is rather wordy.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Not sure about the colors of Barrow Honors - sure, white gets global card draw, but would it do it like this? Rare is fine.
(3/3) Balance - Glorious Dead looks properly costed, but the Adventure probably costs a little too much. All in all balanced.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Pretty much a mashup card that doesn't do anything all that new.
(2/3) Flavor - Glorious Dead is a nice name that I'm surprised hasn't been used before. However, the rest of the flavor isn't necessarily resonating with me.

Polish
(3/3) Quality -

Total: 21/25
haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - This card is so versatile and does so much that all of the player psychographics would want it: Txmmy for a Hydra that brings things back from the grave, Jxnny for all of the moving parts and interactions, and Spike for mass removal that turns into a finisher.
(0/3) Elegance - I'm going to be blunt and say I don't think this would fit on a card. Ashbloom Hydra OR Uncontrollable Flame alone would have a fair amount of text for a standalone card, and the Adventure frame does not give you that kind of space to work with. Both involve some kind of multi-step process, and one even sets up a mass delayed triggered ability.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look right.
(2/3) Balance - Ashbloom Hydra is expensive but looks very powerful nonetheless; Uncontrollable Flame might be slightly overcosted as a standalone card but is still perfectly playable. Together, they make for a scary combination.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Nothing totally innovative going on here, but this is essentially two designs for new cards, not based directly on old ones, stapled together.
(2/3) Flavor - Not making a connection between the Adventure and the creature - is this specifically a fire-breathing hydra?

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.

Total: 19/25
Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes prowess (and big numbers in general). Jxnny could use Seven at One Blow in interesting ways. Spike sees something that's probably above-rate in both aspects, especially for Limited.
(3/3) Elegance - A French vanilla creature and a simple burn spell that has the odd twist of being able to hit a lot of things, but you have to target them. Ultimately this is quite elegant.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity work for me.
(2/3) Balance - A 2/2 for two mana with first strike and prowess is decent to very good on its own. Seven at One Blow is the sticking point for me, probably being at worst something that takes out an N/1 creature and hits its controller and at best destroying a whole bunch of creatures or chipping away at planeswalkers and battles. At instant, it's just undercosted.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Nothing totally unique going on here, but Seven at One Blow brings an interesting twist and it's also a fun mix of keywords to have on Valiant Tailor.
(2/3) Flavor - While it's easy to tell the folktale this card is referencing and the card fully fits the narrative, it also doesn't introduce any kind of new twist to the story, which is not necessary but is the option I prefer.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good.

Total: 21.5/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Really mostly a Jxnny card - Txmmy might be interested in Educate the Masses but not Age of Critical Thinking, and the whole thing is too risky and unreliable for Spike.
(1.5/3) Elegance - Not complex in wording, but promotes complex play patterns and has a lot of tracking complexity attached.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors look right and this is wacky enough for rare.
(2/3) Balance - I'm not sure if this is any good - in fact, it looks like bulk rare material - but I will mark off a bit for being definitely swingy. Either this is going to win the game for you or lose it for you, there's not a lot of middle ground between the low floor and high ceiling.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Definitely unique in multiple ways.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Flavor is somewhat abstract and philosophical, but it works - although imagining a more rational Eldraine with higher technology and science is tough.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "Scried to the bottom" is understandable shorthand, but The Temporal Anchor says it should say something like "the number of cards you put on the bottom of your library while scrying". (Yes it's a mouthful.)
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Done.

Total: 19.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy is not that excited by Page Turner, but Elemental Education is certainly nice if you can produce multiple tokens all at once. Jxnny is all over this. Spike would consider it for the versatility but frankly Page Turner is no Mulldrifter.
(3/3) Elegance - Very elegant. I'd give this a point from Mel if I could.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Colors and rarity check out for the most part, although the +1/+1 counters being applied in this way might be a slight bleed in red.
(3/3) Balance - No complaints here.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Interesting new variant on of course a very old effect.
(2/3) Flavor - While I'm not sure why the main card is an Elemental specifically, the names Page Turner and Elemental Education do complement each other.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 21/25
Totals
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias 19.5 vs. kwanyeegor-ii 21
haywire 19 vs. Raptorchan 21.5
netn10 19.5 vs. slimytrout 21
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

All judgments are in. Final scores (bold advance):

AnotherAlias: 22 + 19.5 = 41.5
kwanyeegor-ii: 22.5 + 21 = 43.5

haywire: 19.5 + 19 = 38.5
Raptorchan: 23 + 21.5 = 44.5

netn10: 19.5 + 19.5 = 39
slimytrout: 23 + 21 = 44

I'll leave a few hours for people to comment on the judgments if they wish to do so in the discussion thread. Expect the final round to be posted later today.

Show
Hide

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”