September MCC Round 2 - Role

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 9 months ago

MCC-WOE.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the cards A Tale for the Ages by Julie Dillon and Evolving Wilds by Alayna Danner.)

September MCC Round 2

Role

As is tradition by now, this month we will celebrate the latest set, in this case Wilds of Eldraine, by exploring its mechanics and themes, as usual in this kind of MCC months.

A thing you might not know about me, and only a few in real life know, is that I write songs. Music and lyrics, both of them. Some are in Italian, others in English. I have two paper folders full of the songs I've written since I was in high school more than 20 years ago, plus more in digital folders on my pc. Why am I telling you this? Because one of my songs is called "Role". It's essentially about trying to understand what is the purpose of things you live in your life. It has three verses and a chorus, always the same, that is repeated after each verse. In the first verse I wonder what's the role of my inner feelings and relationships with others in my life. In the second, I wonder what's the role of my life itself in the big picture of creation. In the third, I wonder what's the role of the monsters I have to fight against in my life, and a few of you might know what specific monsters I'm talking about. The first two verses have been written about 15 years ago and use quite explicit language, as does the last line of the chorus. The third verse has been added much more recently, something about three years ago, and it's safer to share as it has practically no bad language. Now I feel like doing something I've never done before: sharing a piece of lyrics that I wrote. The following spoiler contains the second half of the third verse of that song and the chorus. I will have to censor the last line of the chorus (a bad word is in there), but the rest is clean. Enjoy. Or don't. You don't know the music, so you wouldn't be able to sing it anyway.
A piece of Leo's lyrics
Show
Hide
From my own song "Role", second half of the third verse plus chorus.

No real truce, no real peace in my invisible fight,
no success, all I see is only darkness and no light,
all is gone, all is wrong, nothing left and nothing right,
seeing dawn every day in my soul's eternal night.

A warship getting wrecked and going adrift to shore,
an air balloon can't lift up, does nothing but hit the floor.
I am really a coward lion that can't fight or roar,
hate my monster within and I wonder what's it for.

What's its role? Why do I fall?
Why do I always lose control?
Why's my soul going down deep in a hole?
What's my goal? Why from me all this you stole?
Where's [censored for explicit language] and the other one?
What's the role of the monsters in our life? It felt to me like sharing this piece or lyrics was appropriate with the big new mechanic in this set being Roles… There is even one called "Monster"... Seeing that during previews immediately reminded me of my own song, so there you go.

"Hate my monster within and I wonder what's it for. What's its role?"

Main Challenge - Design a non-Saga card that creates one or more Role tokens attached to one or more creatures. (The creatures can have different controllers.)

Subchallenge 1 - Your card references at least two different kinds of Role tokens out of the existing seven.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card's rules text includes the exact phrase "enchanted creatures" (specifically plural, singular doesn't count).

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge

• Your card can have any card types, subtypes, and supertypes except for the Saga subtype. All the other existing card types, subtypes, and supertypes are fair game. It just can't be a Saga, that's all.

• Technically, you're allowed to create a new custom card type, subtype, or supertype, but remember that if it has mechanical baggage, then it would require reminder text to explain how it works, and here reminder text DOES count towards microtext and we're working in the regular frame unless otherwise specified, so it would have to fit there together with your card's rules text. Technically you could do it, but honestly I don't know if it would be worth the effort. But if you want to try it anyway, go for it.

• If the creatures that are receiving the Role tokens are more than one, they can have the same or different controllers. Both options are valid.

Subchallenge 1

• The seven existing kinds of Role tokens with their respective reminder text are the following:

- Cursed Role token (If you control another Role on it, put that one into the graveyard. Enchanted creature is 1/1.)
- Monster Role token (If you control another Role on it, put that one into the graveyard. Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has trample.)
- Royal Role token (If you control another Role on it, put that one into the graveyard. Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has ward 1.)
- Sorcerer Role token (If you control another Role on it, put that one into the graveyard. Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has "Whenever this creature attacks, scry 1.")
- Wicked Role token (If you control another Role on it, put that one into the graveyard. Enchanted creature gets +1/+1. When this Aura is put into a graveyard, each opponent loses 1 life.)
- Young Hero Role token (If you control another Role on it, put that one into the graveyard. Enchanted creature has "Whenever this creature attacks, if its toughness is 3 or less, put a +1/+1 counter on it.")
- Virtuous Role token (COMMANDER SET ONLY) (If you control another Role on it, put that one into the graveyard. Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each enchantment you control.)

On some cards, if the sentence "If you control another Role on it, put that one into the graveyard." doesn't fit, it's cut from the reminder text, but only that one specific sentence.

Your card meets this Subchallenge if it mentions two or more different ones among those seven.

• The two or more different Roles can be given out as Role tokens, but to count for this Subchallenge a simple mention is enough. For example, an effect like: "Put a Monster Role token on target creature. If a creature you don't control has a Cursed Role attached to it, draw a card." would pass this Subchallenge, even though the Cursed Role is just mentioned and not given out as a token.

• Remember that at least one of the Roles must be explicitly given out as a Role token and not just mentioned to pass the Main Challenge. The others can be just referenced for them to count towards this Subchallenge.

• The fact that in the printed reminder cards the art for the Wicked and Cursed Roles are unintentionally swapped doesn't matter here. We care about those Roles as defined mechanically by the rules, and that misprint doesn't change the mechanics of those tokens, just the flavor.

Subchallenge 2

• As stated in the Subchallenge, the phrase "enchanted creatures" only counts if it's plural. The singular form "enchanted creature" does NOT count for this Subchallenge.

• For example, "each enchanted creature" does NOT count while "all enchanted creatures" DOES count. The meaning is the same, but in the former the word "creature" is singular while in the latter "creatures" is plural. Yes, it's a small difference that doesn't change the meaning of the sentence but it being a very small detail is intended to be one of the difficulties of this Subchallenge.

• Similarly, if you invert the words, "creatures enchanted" does NOT count as it's a different variation. It has to be literally the sequence of characters "enchanted creatures". Anything that differs from that specific sequence of characters in any way does NOT count.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the MCC discussion thread.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Monday, September 18th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Thursday, September 21st 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83
void_nothing

We might or might not need more judges. If you're interested, sign up in the judge signup thread.

PLAYERS

@AnotherAlias
@haywire
@kwanyeegor-ii
@marioguy3
@netn10
@Raptorchan
@Rithaniel
@slimytrout

A reminder to everyone:
In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Please check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. Link in my signature. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.

BRACKETS

Top 3 from each bracket advance to the next round.

Judge: bravelion83
AnotherAlias
kwanyeegor-ii
netn10
Rithaniel

Judge: void_nothing
haywire
marioguy3
Raptorchan
slimytrout
Last edited by bravelion83 8 months ago, edited 5 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Raptorchan
Vidauna's Hand
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 9 months ago

Curtains Fall 4uu
Sorcery (R)
Return all creatures to their owners' hands. If seven or more enchanted creatures were returned to players' hands this way, you win the game. Otherwise, draw a card.
//
Enter the Scene w
Sorcery — Adventure
Create your choice of a Royal role token, a Sorcerer role token, or a Young Hero role token attached to target creature.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 9 months ago

Region of Upstart Heroes
Enchantment (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, manifest the top card of your library, then create a role token of your choice attached to that creature. (The roles are Cursed, Monster, Royal, Sorcerer, Virtuous, Wicked, and Young Hero.)
, Exile the bottom card of your library: Put a +1/+1 counter on all enchanted creatures you control.
Last edited by marioguy3 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 9 months ago

Reread the Script
Instant (Common)
Create a Cursed Role token, Monster Role token, Royal Role token, Sorcerer Role token, Wicked Role token, or Young Hero Role token attached to target creature with a Role token attached to it.
"Wait, I was the cursed knight not the person who saved the cursed knight? How did I misread that?"

netn10

Post by netn10 » 9 months ago

Redtooth Visionary 2WW
Creature - Elf Fox (Rare)
Whenever this creature enters the battlefield or transforms into Redtooth Visionary, create a Cursed Role token attached to it.
Enchanted creatures you control have hexproof and indestructible.
Daybound
"Our curse will not define us. We must take matters to our own hands..."
1/1
/////
Redtooth Alpha
(G) Creature - Fox (Rare)
Whenever this creature enters the battlefield or transforms into Redtooth Alpha, create a Monster Role token attached to it.
Enchanted creatures you control gets +3/+3.
Nightbound
"... and teeth and claws, of course."
1/1

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Less than 24 hours remaining to the design deadline. We are missing submissions from the following players:
@haywire
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Rithaniel
@slimytrout
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

haywire

Post by haywire » 9 months ago

Curse-Caller Witch
Creature — Human Warlock {R}
Menace, protection from enchanted creatures
Whenever one or more enchanted creatures an opponent controls die, create a Wicked Role token attached to Curse-Caller Witch.(Enchanted creature gets +1/+1. When this Aura is put into a graveyard, each opponent loses 1 life.)
, sacrifice an Aura attached to Curse-Caller Witch: Create a Cursed Role token attached to target creature. (Enchanted creature is 1/1. You can only sacrifice Auras you control.)
3/2

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 9 months ago

Oko, of Many Forms 1GU
Legendary Planeswalker — Oko (M)
+1: Create a Monster Role token attached to up to one target creature.
-1: Create a Cursed Role token attached to up to one target creature.
-6: Draw cards equal to the number of enchanted creatures you control. You gain life equal to the number of enchanted creatures your opponents control.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 9 months ago

Typecasting
Sorcery R
Choose target opponent. Put a Monster or Wicked Role on target creature you control of that opponent's choice and a Royal or Young Hero Role on target creature that player controls. Then that opponent gains control of all creatures enchanted by a Monster or Wicked Role and you gain control of all creatures enchanted by a Royal or Young Hero Role.
Last edited by Rithaniel 9 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 9 months ago

Familiars' Reverence 2GGWW
Enchantment (Mythic)
When Familiars' Reverence enters the battlefield, create a 3/3 green Beast creature token and create a Royal Role token attached to it, then create a 1/1 white Bird creature token with flying and create a Sorcerer Role token attached to it.
Enchanted creatures you control have indestructible and vigilance as long as it's your turn.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

The round is closed. Judging may begin,

BRACKETS

Top 3 from each bracket advance to the next round.

Judge: bravelion83
AnotherAlias
kwanyeegor-ii
netn10
Rithaniel

Judge: void_nothing
haywire
marioguy3
Raptorchan
slimytrout

Judgments complete. As usual, sorry for any typos I might not have caught.
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
9 months ago
Reread the Script
Instant (Common)
Create a Cursed Role token, Monster Role token, Royal Role token, Sorcerer Role token, Wicked Role token, or Young Hero Role token attached to target creature with a Role token attached to it.
"Wait, I was the cursed knight not the person who saved the cursed knight? How did I misread that?"
Design
Appeal 2/3 - I don't think Timmy cares too much. There are all sorts of tricks for Johnny to do. Spike likes this being an instant, it gives her the flexibility of giving any of her creatures any Role in the best way given the board state.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here. You left out the Virtuous Role, but that's only on a single card in the Commander set, so that's fine. You listed all Roles in the main WOE set.
Development
Viability 1.5/3 - Given that Roles are enchantments, and specifically Auras, that card giving any creature any Role feels at home in white, even though not all Role tokens do in a vacuum. I honestly can't see how this is a common though. If you showed me this card without the rarity and you had me guess its rarity, I would have said rare, not even uncommon. The gameplay is actually not that simple, especially in logistics, you can play this at "instant speed", there is no reminder text, and the complexity, especially tracking complexity, feels way too high for a common and maybe even for an uncommon. If you wanted it to be more playable in limited I guess you could have this be an uncommon and not a rare, but I just can't see this at common. No problems with the rules.
Balance 2/3 - I believe the mana value is too low. Changing Roles at will at "instant speed" should cost more than just one mana in my opinion. Maybe if it was a sorcery. Also, the fact that this card does absolutely nothing if you have no creatures on the board makes this a blank in such case. You could see this as a factor helping keeping the mana cost as low as possible, but in modern Magic card design cards tend to have a base effect that happens anyway. For example, you could have first created a creature token with a Cursed Role on it if you control no creatures, so it would have been 1/1 anyway, or allow you to put a creature card from your hand or graveyard with the same Cursed Role on it, obviously adjusting the mana cost. I'm just throwing out ideas, I'm not saying those options would have been viable, that would require playtest, but I think there should be some kind of base effect here. I guess this would see play in limited, and maybe Standard too, as changing Roles at "instant speed" at will and as needed sounds like it could be at the very least a good combat trick. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - "Give target creature any Role you want" is definitely original.
Flavor 3/3 - Just perfect. Name, card concept, flavor text, everything.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - It could probably be shortened by avoiding repeating "Role token" every time, but I can't say it's wrong. Something like this: "Create a Cursed, Monster, Royal, Sorcerer, Wicked, or Young Hero Role token attached...", but again, this is certainly not wrong as it is. I believe this card would highly benefit from adding reminder text for the different Roles, but writing out all six of them would also take too much space in the frame. It would technically be needed on a common though. (-0.5) Yet one more reason this should go up in rarity.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 1/2 - It references well more than two different kind of Role tokens, but there is no "enchanted creatures".
TOTAL 20/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
9 months ago
Familiars' Reverence 2GGWW
Enchantment (Mythic)
When Familiars' Reverence enters the battlefield, create a 3/3 green Beast creature token and create a Royal Role token attached to it, then create a 1/1 white Bird creature token with flying and create a Sorcerer Role token attached to it.
Enchanted creatures you control have indestructible and vigilance as long as it's your turn.
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy loves everything here. Johnny could use all the different tokens in unusual and unexpected ways. Spike likes the good rate here. Titans were 6/6 for six mana, and we all know how much competitive play they saw, some more than others, sure, but most of them did.
Elegance 2.5/3 - The repetition of the word "create" reads bad, but the text is very easy to understand.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - Both colors are represented on the card. If I can see this at mythic, it's actually only because the rate is a bit pushed for six mana, as you're actually creating 6 power worth of creatures (remember each Role gives +1/+1) with a bunch of abilities, coming from both the Roles and this card's last ability. If the mana cost was a bit higher I would have said this felt more like a regular rare than a mythic to me. No problems with the rules.
Balance 3/3 - I've just mentioned the quite good rate on this card, so I won't mention it again here. Playable in limited as long as you can pay the restrictive mana cost, and it also counts as a creature for limited math. Dropping 6 power on the board with a bunch of abilities might be worth that mana cost in constructed. I'm talking Standard though, not older formats, but that's not a problem. Not every card needs to be playable in older formats. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Nothing really new here. As I often say, all known elements mixed together in a technically new way.
Flavor 2.5/3 - Technically one line of flavor text could have fit according to MSE but I agree that the card looks much better without it, as the rules text is already 9 lines plus one break. The name is good and I like the card concept.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - As I've already mentioned, the repetition of the word "create" reads bad, but I can't say it's wrong. It's technically correct, so no problems here.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 21.5/25
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
9 months ago
Redtooth Visionary 2WW
Creature - Elf Fox (Rare)
Whenever this creature enters the battlefield or transforms into Redtooth Visionary, create a Cursed Role token attached to it.
Enchanted creatures you control have hexproof and indestructible.
Daybound
"Our curse will not define us. We must take matters to our own hands..."
1/1
/////
Redtooth Alpha
(G) Creature - Fox (Rare)
Whenever this creature enters the battlefield or transforms into Redtooth Alpha, create a Monster Role token attached to it.
Enchanted creatures you control gets +3/+3.
Nightbound
"... and teeth and claws, of course."
1/1
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Apparently too small for Timmy, until he realizes that the back face counts as an enchanted creature itself so it also gets the bonus and it's actually a 5/5 with trample (it gets +1/+1 and trample from the Monster Role token and +3/+3 from its own effect). He likes the effects though. Johnny can use the tokens or try to manipulate day and night to his own benefit. Day/nightbound might make this a bit too unreliable for Spike.
Elegance 2.5/3 - DFC tend to be complicated sometimes, but this is very easy to understand even though there are a lot of moving pieces: the Role tokens, the static effect affecting all of your enchanted creatures and not just this one, day/nightbound... it's a lot indeed, but it's all been put together in the most elegant way possible, heavily but effectively exploiting the symmetry of effects between the two faces. It's just a bit strange having a 1/1 on the front face creating a Cursed Role token on itself, making it... a 1/1. The same stats it had before. Why are you creating the Cursed Role then? I think it would be more interesting if it had different printed stats on the front face.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - I have only one thing to say about the color pie here: white gives hexproof to you, not your permanents. Green and blue do that. There is a green color indicator on the back face, but this is a card that you can actually play without any green mana. That back face is all things that white can do too, so that's not a problem. White can pump its own creatures. Yes, the bonus is usually at most +2/+2 in white, but +3/+3 is at worst a small bend. At the contrary, giving hexproof on the front face would require some green mana somewhere in the card though. Put it in the mana cost, or as an activation cost to give your permanents hexproof, it would have been fine either way. Or you could also remove hexproof and just grant indestructible, and that would eliminate all of these issues in the first place. No problems with rarity or the rules.
Balance 3/3 - Playable in limited, and notably it doesn't require you to actually be in green. You can just play this card in any deck that plays white. In constructed it could find a home in enchantment based decks, if those are viable in the formats, or as a beater, given that if you manage to keep it on the back face, you can have a 5/5 with trample for four mana, even though you have to jump through hoops to get there, so the relatively low mana value shouldn't be a problem. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - A day/nightbound card out of Innistrad is definitely new. The rest of the mechanics aren't particularly new though.
Flavor 3/3 - I had to do a lot of research about this one, but the more I did the more this card felt not just fine, but absolutely perfect in all possible ways. The colors, the creature types, the effects, the use of day/nightbound in an Innistrad-Werewolf-like way, the flavor text... everything. I will just link the last source I found, as it has links to most other relevant pages within it: "Curse of the Werefox" page from the MTG Wiki. Notably, I've read all five episodes of the WOE story and I can't remember any mention of the Werefox or Redtooth there, it's one of those things that's only told in flavor text, and that's why I didn't understand it at first. There are a lot of those in WOE. The main episodes were all about Kellan and Rowan's stories going on in parallel until they met at the end. I think a few side stories would have helped us in seeing other parts of the Wilds, like the Werefoxes, but I guessed they used all their side-story budget for MOM (ten main episodes plus eight side stories) and they had to cut the side stories for the following set to balance that. That's too bad though honestly.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - Hyphens instead of em dashes but nobody else in this bracket used the correct em dashes (also because they didn't need to), so no deduction for that. MSE shows me that reminder text for daybound would fit on the front side: with (If a player casts no spells during their own turn, it becomes night next turn.) it's nine lines and three breaks, perfectly within limits. The back face is even less of a problem, with (If a player casts at least two spells during their own turn, it becomes day next turn.) for nightbound, it's seven lines and three breaks, so reminder text for day/nightbound would fit even if this is a rare, so it should be there, especially as it's not a keyword from the same set as Role tokens. (-0.5 twice) All the rest is good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 21/25
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Rithaniel wrote:
9 months ago
Typecasting
Sorcery R
Choose target opponent. Put a Monster or Wicked Role on target creature you control of that opponent's choice and a Royal or Young Hero Role on target creature that player controls. Then that opponent gains control of all creatures enchanted by a Monster or Wicked Role and you gain control of all creatures enchanted by a Royal or Young Hero Role.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - I think Timmy likes the flavor more than the mechanics here. He likes just mow much this can affect the board though. Johnny just loves this card. It has been made for him. Spike appreciates the skill required to play cards involving a choice by your opponent in the most advantageous way for her. Cards like Fact or Fiction are a good example of this.
Elegance 1/3 - The text is quite long and a bit too convoluted to be understandable at first glance. I've had to read it a couple times to get what it does, and I've been a Magic player continuously since 2005.
Development
Viability 2/3 - This is blue for sure, no doubt about it. It's essentially an exchange of permanents, that's core blue. I guess the red is supposed to be the Monster or Wicked Role token and the white the Royal or Young Hero token, but the mechanics are essentially all blue. Rarity couldn't be anything else, this is clearly a rare. I could also see it at mythic, but I agree regular rare is the best fit. I see no problems with the rules, it's just complicated in gameplay but the CR have no problems with this.
Balance 1.5/3 - Honestly unplayable in limited but not because of the effects, rather because of the mana cost. I don't see how you could pay this mana cost reliably there. The dual land support of constructed formats helps with that, and it gets better the further back in time you go with the format. Six mana is a lot but if played correctly in the right deck this card could probably win you the game by itself, so I can see that. The first three words being "Choose target opponent" make this card already interesting in free-for-all multiplayer formats involving politics. Yes, Commander is a part of that but it's not the only one, that's why I'm speaking in more general terms. It's just the case that Commander is the most popular one among them. I can see this being a bit hard to play correctly by more casual players, both for the cost and the effect, which are both complicated in their own respective way.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - Can't say it isn't new. Very splashy and a very original use of Role tokens.
Flavor 3/3 - Technically one line of flavor text could have fit according to MSE but I agree that the card looks much better without it, as the rules text is already 9 consecutive lines. The concept of a role casting works well enough with the cards mechanic. Overall I'd say nothing spectacular but just good enough to work.
Polish
Quality 1.5/3 - You don't "put" Roles "on target creature", rather you "create" a kind of "Role token attached to target creature". You can see most of the cards that create Roles in WOE as examples. So this should be: "Create a Monster or Wicked Role token attached to target creature you control of that opponent's choice and a Royal or Young Hero Role token attached to target creature that player controls." There are two mistakes here: the verb, which should be "create" and not "put" (different game actions, -0.5), and the lack of the word "token" (-0.5 twice).
Subchallenges 1/2 - It references four kinds of Role tokens, but "creatures enchanted" is not the same as the required "enchanted creatures". If you swap the words, you get a different phrase, so Subchallenge 2 is not met.
TOTAL 17/25

Final comment: I'm so sorry to have to eliminate you in particular, but I have to as a judge. You have the lowest score in my bracket, and I wouldn't be fine with my conscience adjusting the scores to have you advance just because it's you. I appreciate you a lot as a card designer, I personally think you're of the absolute best around here, and you have also influenced the way I design my own cards heavily, encouraging me to have no fear in exploring more unusual color combinations and mana costs. It might not be your own invention, but it's you who taught me the concept of color asymmetry in your own MCC a few months ago, and I'm using that a lot now, as you have certainly seen in the DCC. The two-month-long cycle of cards with four-colored color identity that I'm doing right now in the DCC would have never existed without your influence for example. You are a great designer and also a nice person. I feel bad having to be the one to let you go for this month. I just wanted to know this. Keep doing what you're doing. I can't wait to see more of your designs, both in other contests and in this one next month.
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii: 21.5
netn10: 21
AnotherAlias: 20

Rithaniel: 17

Show
Hide

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 8 months ago

haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes a midrange creature that's hard to block and has cool flavorful abilities. Jxnny likes the subtle bonus that comes from repeatedly putting Wicked Roles on a creature. Spike is skeptical of the idea of an Aura-based deck in the first place.
(1.5/3) Elegance - Rather stuffed with text and the Wicked Role chain thing is not something that's immediately apparent, even though it's important to the card's function.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely black, definitely rare - while making creatures 1/1 is certainly more of a white or blue thing, in the context of WOE and Roles I think it's fine.
(3/3) Balance - Sure - this can be strong when you get it going, but it doesn't actually work until you enchant an opposing creature first.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Plenty of new ideas here!
(3/3) Flavor - Name may be a bit generic but the flavor-function matchup is great.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - A spacing error before the first set of reminder text and capitalization error at the beginning of the activated ability (and this would have benefited from the Role put-into-graveyard reminder text).
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21.5/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Pretty much every player psychographic would like a baseline 2/2 (that can be something much better if it's a creature card) that has any Role on it - it's splashy, powerful, and has a bunch of interactions.
(1/3) Elegance - Being able to create ANY Role token either requires a big fistful of the double-sided token cards or is a passport to tracking issue galore. This is along with manifest, a relatively complex mechanic particularly for combat math. Not for nothing, exiling the bottom card of your library is also an odd cost that doesn't seem to have enough justification.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Hard to say exactly what colors this fits in - the Wicked Role in particular seems to be made by black and red cards only for a reason - but GU is hardly wrong. Rarity-wise, however, I'd much prefer this at mythic even if only for Limited, and I'll detail that further in the Balance section.
(1/3) Balance - My big concern here is being able to generate the Virtuous Role token, which is currently associated only with Syr Ellivere, the face card of a commander deck that can only put it on other creatures and, being a creature, is more vulnerable to removal by far than an enchantment is. Manifesting a card and putting a Virtuous Role on it means that, at base, you have a vanilla 4/4 right away, and the following turn, assuming the manifested card is still around, you'll have two 5/5s, and so on, because the nature of that Role is just so powerful in multiples. Everything else about this card, including the flexibility of the other Roles and the cheap mass +1/+1 counters, is just gravy. Basically, for both balance and elegance, this card would have been better served making just the Monster, Royal, and Sorcerer roles or something to that effect.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Mostly a synthesis of old effects meaning it'd play familiarly, although there are several new ideas such as combining manifest with roles.
(0/3) Flavor - The name is too abstract and seemingly not very accurate, imo - are creatures with Cursed, Monster, and Wicked Roles really "upstart heroes"? I don't get how the two abilities relate to each other flavorfully and not having even a little flavor text hurt here.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - "Role" should be capitalized as it is in fact an enchantment subtype. The mana symbols are also in the wrong order here - it should be GU.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.

Total: 15/25
Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny both want to use the alt-win, but Spike is more interested in a cantrip board wipe with the extra flexibility of the Adventure.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Very easy to understand, but Enter the Scene has relatively long text for an Adventure.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity fully fit.
(2.5/3) Balance - This might have a certain "oops, I win" quality to it in EDH games where multiple players rely on Auras. Besides scenarios like that, it seems to be balanced.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - A somewhat unique alt-win that has the unusual quality of being a non-permanent with an Adventure, which works perfectly well within the rules but has never been done. It feels sort of like an inverted aftermath card, and the different possibilities feel clever.
(2.5/3) Flavor - The aforementioned Adventure attached to a sorcery feels odd just because the flavor of adventurer cards seems to be either that a creature is going on an adventure or an item is being taken on an adventure. Then again, there are now enchantments with Adventures, so who knows. Names are really good and evocative.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "Role" should always be capitalized.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks good.

Total: 22.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny both are interested in making the Aura deck this card implies, but while Spike will never turn their nose up completely at a three-mana planeswalker, this is a relatively low-impact Oko mostly useful as a way to make things 1/1 and has an ultimate that is more or less fully build-around.
(3/3) Elegance - Definitely keeping it simple and elegant.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look right and this feels like Oko.
(3/3) Balance - No complaints here - unlike Oko, Thief of Crowns, this is not going to completely take over any formats even if it can dictate how opponents play in the mid-game.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - A nice theme to be sure, but each of these abilities is quite simple and internally synergistic.
(3/3) Flavor - Name does a good job of explaining the exact mix of abilities.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.

Total: 23/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
slimytrout 23
Raptorchan 22.5
haywire 21.5

marioguy3 15
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 8 months ago

And with this, the round is done. Next round right after I've posted the DCC in about 20 minutes from this post.

Show
Hide

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”