Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger Tokens

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

WizardMN wrote:
4 years ago
I have Jeskai Charm in my build and I have gotten close to cutting it a couple times. The first and third modes are decent, but I have other cards for the third mode and I have found the first is only marginally good. Your experience may vary, and by all means try it if you have the space, but I wouldn't necessarily try to force it in.
I really am only considering it for 3 reasons. First, it is another source of lifegain. Quite a few of the games I've lost with Kykar have been close, and Honor the Fallen is the only source of lifegain currently. Second, it is another burn spell that wins the game with the BR/Turnabout/NR loop. Third, while each mode is a marginal version of the effect offered, it is cheap, flexible, and sunforger friendly. I think I would like to test it eventually, but you're right that it isn't worth aggressively forcing.
WizardMN wrote:
4 years ago
I definitely like Kindred Discovery for everything but the mana cost. But, it should draw a ton of cards. I might have to get one for my deck. Arcane Signet isn't bad either and the Talisman is a good choice.
Yeah, discovery will probably be a game ender, but only if I can flash it out or cast it when I already have a huge amount of mana available. Tapping out for it and attacking isn't the worst, but it's definitely not what I want out of it. Mostly I need to pick one up for my collection, and the synergy with Kykar is so obvious I think it'd be foolish to not at least try it out despite the higher cmc. I mean, Cathars' Crusade consistently shines in this deck and is also 5 cmc heavily colored.
WizardMN wrote:
4 years ago
I am on the other side of this coin, though I prefer reactiveness so I have some bias there. In fact, I have a lot of reactive spells in my deck. I generally play mine as more of a control shell that happens to give me a free token. Which I can then use later for some big mana spells. Even ignoring the differences in philosophy, I think a blue deck really wants counters either way and this deck wants those 3 counters especially. Arcane Denial and Swan Song are easy to cast and Denial draws us cards. I would easily go with Mana Drain over Counterspell but I think Counterspell is fine if budget is a concern. My deck doesn't currently run it since it is supposed to be somewhat "budget friendly" for a reason but I do run those 3 along with Disallow and Absorb.

To be fair, I don't currently run Sunforger though that is likely a mistake. So, I can definitely understand you wanting to have your counter magic able to be found with that. If I did include it, I would lean more into Absorb (already in mine), Ionize, and Counterflux, As long as you have something for situations where stack interaction is needed, such as an Entwined Tooth and Nail or a resolving Craterhoof Behemoth you should be good.
I think Kykar control is perfectly legitimate, where instead of going wide you focus on fewer, more threatening win-cons. I would run Sunforger either way though! The card's dumb. Ionize probably deserves a closer look from me, but as I mentioned I've felt good with my current density of counters with absorb/render silent/counterflux. Might change with time.

As far as stack interaction and dealing with stuff like Tooth and Nail and Hoof, Mandate of Peace and Settle the Wreckage are pretty great.
WizardMN wrote:
4 years ago
I wasn't sure I was going to keep my deck around, and I have not kept up with this thread as much as I should have because of that, but I have been finding Kykar to be exceptionally fun to play, even if mine is quite a bit different. I will likely get a thread for mine at some point so I can record my games with it.
Can't wait to see it! The more Kykar threads the merrier!
WizardMN wrote:
4 years ago
Also, welcome to the elite group of "people who can type good and make pretty threads" :P Just kidding; congrats on the Primer status!
:hmm: .............. :laugh:
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Tags:

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Darn, Kindred Discovery would be brutal here. Do it :P

Also grats on primerdom, well deserved.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

WizardMN
Answers: 132

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
WizardMN wrote:
4 years ago
I have Jeskai Charm in my build and I have gotten close to cutting it a couple times. The first and third modes are decent, but I have other cards for the third mode and I have found the first is only marginally good. Your experience may vary, and by all means try it if you have the space, but I wouldn't necessarily try to force it in.
I really am only considering it for 3 reasons. First, it is another source of lifegain. Quite a few of the games I've lost with Kykar have been close, and Honor the Fallen is the only source of lifegain currently. Second, it is another burn spell that wins the game with the BR/Turnabout/NR loop. Third, while each mode is a marginal version of the effect offered, it is cheap, flexible, and sunforger friendly. I think I would like to test it eventually, but you're right that it isn't worth aggressively forcing.
I actually thought I had another life gain source in my deck, but I guess Jeskai Charm, Azorius Charm, and Sphinx's Revelation are the only ones and I have gotten close to cutting Azorius Charm. I didn't even know Honor the Fallen was a card; I might need to look into that.

I do think having some sort of mass life gain is relevant. I am not sure if Heliod's Intervention is good enough for that. It wouldn't be for just that mode, but if the artifact/enchantment destruction mode is good enough, maybe having that as an option wouldn't be the worst.

But, yeah, being able to swing with an army and gain a bunch of life can turn games around and I like Jeskai Charm over Azorius in most situations.

MeowZeDung

Here's a great write-up on Underworld Breach by @darrenhabib that you should check out. Yours truly couldn't help but reply with some thoughts of my own.

Morgion

Post by Morgion » 4 years ago

This thread has been very inspiring. I'm currently exploring viable direction for Kykar as commander myself.
Thank you all and especially MeowZeDung very much.

MeowZeDung

Morgion wrote:
4 years ago
This thread has been very inspiring. I'm currently exploring viable direction for Kykar as commander myself.
Thank you all and especially MeowZeDung very much.
Awesome! Glad to hear it! If you need any pointers for your build, ask anything. Kykar is stunningly versatile and the brewing possibilities are nearly limitless, so feedback from the community will always show you new paths to explore. Just in the last month or so this thread has seen a competitive combo list, a creature-less control list, and a low creature count token list similar to my own. I really think that's just scratching the surface too. I plan to get to some alternate decklists for the OP eventually, and just off the top of my head I'm excited to build: enchantress, voltron, hidden commander Zada, tribal, tap/untap, aristocrats, and maybe even burn. I think Kykar is such a dang versatile card that it can command a respectable version of each one of those archetypes.

Morgion

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
I plan to get to some alternate decklists for the OP eventually, and just off the top of my head I'm excited to build: enchantress, voltron, hidden commander Zada, tribal, tap/untap, aristocrats, and maybe even burn.
Originally I started out with the idea of Alela, Artful Provocateur leading a voltron/enchantress/artifacts deck, until I came across Kykar, which would provide at least similar (and probably a lot more) possibilities in that direction. I will see if I can find the time to put a work-in-progress decklist together and share it with you guys.

shivam_31

Post by shivam_31 » 4 years ago

Excellent thread..!!!

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 4 years ago

Quick dumb question. I was playing my mirrorweave build the other day and ran into role reversal. Can you sac the token in response before giving it away? I didn't bother this time to save a rules headache with the store closing soon but the thought occurred to me.
Responds well to spells and abilities

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

WolfWhoWanders wrote:
4 years ago
Quick dumb question. I was playing my mirrorweave build the other day and ran into role reversal. Can you sac the token in response before giving it away? I didn't bother this time to save a rules headache with the store closing soon but the thought occurred to me.
No. If both targets in an exchange aren't still legal targets at the time of resolution, the exchange fails.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

MeowZeDung

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
WolfWhoWanders wrote:
4 years ago
No. If both targets in an exchange aren't still legal targets at the time of resolution, the exchange fails.
Correct, which can work to your advantage in some cases if an opponent targets a spirit with something, as unlikely as that is. arcane adaptation in kykar can work well for this and other reasons.

MeowZeDung

I've been plotting for some time to add some alternate deckbuilds and *mini* primers to go with each in the OP. This will be a slow, ongoing process, but one I think I'll enjoy. If there is any of the following you'd like to see me take on first, speak up or I'm just gonna pick one. There will be more than these eventually, but here's where I'll begin:

- Enchantress
- Voltron
- Bird Tribal
- Spirit Tribal
- Hidden Commander Zada

Morgion

Here's my current work-in-progress towards a (nearly) creatureless Kykar aiming at a combination of enchantress and voltron (139 cards).
In most categories I mainly need to make hard choice, while the options for other card types are not complete yet. At the moment I'm in doubt whether or not I want graveyard recursion at all. The basic lands are just placeholders.

Work-in-progress

Commander

Lands

12 Island
12 Plains
Approximate Total Cost:

MeowZeDung

Sweet! I think you've got some pretty easy cuts, but the good news is you've got plenty else to work with!

It is a matter of personal taste, but I don't think all the tutors are necessary, especially since an enchantress/voltron build is not the spikiest thing in the world. Just my opinion. If you like em, keep em.

I love some of the awesome non-aura enchantments in Jeskai colors, a few of which you've already included. Berserkers' Onslaught, Angelic Exaltation, Aggravated Assault, and the Jeskai Ascendancy effects are all voltron worthy. Wild Research let's you tutor and stick to an enchantment theme! Spectra Ward seems like it could be fun too!

Let me know how Mace of the Valiant and Sigil of Valor work out! I've always thought they would be top notch in Kykar Voltron.

Morgion

I started cutting cards and adding a few others in the process. The current number is 109.

I removed the remaining creatures to make the deck truly creatureless. I'm afraid I still need to cut some more equipment and auras. I got rid of the graveyard recursion selection, because I feel like I'm packing plenty of protection spells. I reduced the number of tutors, but kept a few, at least to try it.

I'm curious, which 9 cards would you bench from the selection below?

Kykar, Wind's Fury - Bird Bomb

//Commander

//Lands

12 Island
12 Plains
Approximate Total Cost:

MeowZeDung

I'll have to take a closer look when I have some spare time (currently buying a house and dealing with all the busywork that goes with it) but at first glance I'd ditch: Most of these have better alternatives available, or just aren't worth it imo.

Rift is fantastic, I just hate it :cool: run it if you like it.

I think formation is good, but unfortunately any kykar list is going to have to make hard cuts given how many cards big bird synergizes with. I had to cut it myself, and I didn't like doing so. I think it's correct to cut it though.

MeowZeDung

Welp. There we have it. The mothership confirmed that there definitely won't be a fetchland reprint for a standard set this year, so that means these lair drops are the only new Scalding Tarns and Arid Mesas that will join the secondary market. Hopefully it will drop the price a bit, but I'm not overly optimistic about that. Tarn is hovering right above $60 and Mesa around $30, so I'll keep an eye out. If it doesn't dip, it will be a while before I can justify shelling out the funds for these.

MeowZeDung

I'll probably do a whole Ikoria/C20 review of cards of interest for Kykar in this thread after all the spoilers are out, but here's some initial thoughts I've had, and I'd love to hear others as well!

Arcane Signet - cha ching! I'm glad I waited.

Flawless Maneuver - Seems pretty dang good for us. I just don't know if the free cost makes it enough better than Unbreakable Formation that I will include it. I was quite high on formation and still thought it wasn't worth it at the end of the day. Boros Charm is fitting this role pretty dang well while also giving other options, so it will be a hard sell.

Gavi, Nest Warden - Too pricey for a token engine that's going to be so conditional and only trigger once a turn, if that.

Mythos of Vadrok - I don't think this will quite get there as it's expensive, color hungry, and sorcery speed, but the effect is sweet.

Reconnaissance Mission - I think cycling makes this an upgrade over Coastal Piracy and Bident of Thassa. Enchantments being harder to remove generally than artifacts also gives it an edge over bident. This one will be tough to say no to...

Shark Typhoon - LOL. I want it to be great, but it's just too expensive and will mostly make tiny tokens in this deck.

Vadrok, Apex of Thunder - I like the mini Torrential Gearhulk effect, but without more mutate stuff it won't be worthwhile.

Decoy Gambit - Hmmmmmmm. . . I like it. I'll have to think about it more.

EDIT: @Feyd_Ruin @cryogen @benjameenbear @Airi not sure who needs to know this, but the Nexus database has Vadrok, Apex of Thunder listed as VadroX, Apex of Thunder.

shermanido37

Post by shermanido37 » 4 years ago

I think you are wrongly underrating Shark Typhoon. If that card is good enough to enter cube forums, it has to be worth a look.
The key is its cycling ability and the fact that it produces a token, all the while being virtually uncounterable. The beefy enchantment will almost never see the battlefield, but I believe that in your deck it's a great mode to have.

MeowZeDung

shermanido37 wrote:
4 years ago
I think you are wrongly underrating Shark Typhoon. If that card is good enough to enter cube forums, it has to be worth a look.
The key is its cycling ability and the fact that it produces a token, all the while being virtually uncounterable. The beefy enchantment will almost never see the battlefield, but I believe that in your deck it's a great mode to have.
I see the advantage of a cantrip that also nets me a creature, but 3 mana for half of opt plus a 1/1 flyer? I don't love it. It gets better the more you sink into , for sure. I mean, I can sac my spirits when a board wipe is cast and turn them into a big shark after it resolves, so there's that. The enchantment mode is just crazy expensive though. I feel like it's just worse metallurgic summonings if not for the cycle. I'm willing to be proven wrong, I just don't know what in the deck currently it's better than.

On a separate note, they spoiled another another instant that's free if you control your commander. Those suckers are going to be tempting to test...

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago

I see the advantage of a cantrip that also nets me a creature, but 3 mana for half of opt plus a 1/1 flyer? I don't love it. It gets better the more you sink into , for sure. I mean, I can sac my spirits when a board wipe is cast and turn them into a big shark after it resolves, so there's that. The enchantment mode is just crazy expensive though. I feel like it's just worse metallurgic summonings if not for the cycle. I'm willing to be proven wrong, I just don't know what in the deck currently it's better than.

On a separate note, they spoiled another another instant that's free if you control your commander. Those suckers are going to be tempting to test...
I'm with you on both these things. Sharknado is fine, it's modal, it's sort of like the fat creatures with landcycling in that it adapts to the point you're at in the game. But it's also kind of torn in half, in that if you're a cycling deck, you're not spending that mana on noncreature spells, and if you're a deck about triggering off noncreature spells, the cycle is a cantrip that doesn't trigger other things. And like, you can make a big scary threat with it, but if you have enough mana to make this deadly in edh, you probably are going to cast the enchantment instead most of the time. So in a format where you can't play protect the queen with a 5/5 flyer and win that way, it really just feels like bad Metallurgic Summonings that cycles.

Free spells are always exciting though. 0-mana, counter your boardwipe fells like a pretty flawless maneuver.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

MeowZeDung

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
Free spells are always exciting though. 0-mana, counter your boardwipe fells like a pretty flawless maneuver.
Sigh. Yeah. I'll probably need to include that white one just because it's so obviously good, particularly in a deck like this that suffers disproportionately against board wipes. For whatever reason I can't get excited about it though. It's more of a "well, crap, I HAVE to play that card" type of feeling.

The red one, Deflecting Swat, seems a lot less enticing. Still, a free Redirect can surely wreak some havoc. It also hits abilities, so you could steal a Golos, Tireless Pilgrim activation or Chulane, Teller of Tales trigger with it. Pretty sweet.

WizardMN
Answers: 132

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
I feel like it's just worse metallurgic summonings if not for the cycle. I'm willing to be proven wrong, I just don't know what in the deck currently it's better than.
Regarding Shark Typhoon:

I would disagree actually. While we lose out on the ability to get all our cards back, it also triggers on the same stuff Kykar triggers on so we get tokens for Planeswalkers, and Enchantments, and Artifacts instead of just Instants and Sorceries. For one mana more, the synergy is much higher and it also has the ability to flash out a chump blocker and draw a card.

However, with that being said, I don't like Summonings for this deck anyway. I think it is overcosted so this one is even more so. And as mentioned, it likely wouldn't actually end up being cast most games and would instead be used most often as a 3 mana, draw a card, get a token. Which, is fine, I guess but, it doesn't trigger Kykar so we lose out on the token he makes for us which means that it ends up being basically a Reach Through Mists at 3 mana. It scales fine but getting a single token isn't really that great, no matter how big it ends up being. Granted, it could be a cool way to trigger Cathars' Crusade at Instant timing and being uncounterable if that is what you want, but literally every Instant does the same thing with Kykar.

I am personally going to stay away from it for now.
tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago

This card is fantastic. Being able to go aggressive and get Kykar out on turn 4 with, seemingly, no protection and then casting this is awesome. I am picking up this and the black free spell for sure. It is too bad they aren't foil but maybe they will be in the Commander Masters set (or whatever it is called).

MeowZeDung

WizardMN wrote:
4 years ago
However, with that being said, I don't like Summonings for this deck anyway. I think it is overcosted so this one is even more so. And as mentioned, it likely wouldn't actually end up being cast most games and would instead be used most often as a 3 mana, draw a card, get a token.
Hammer, meet nail.

I ran summonings for a while, and it was either amazing or terrible, and never just ok. What made it amazing was the recursion and the fact that my build is specifically centered around instants/sorceries.

Given that typhoon doesn't have the recursion aspect and my build doesn't care that it triggers on all non-creature spells as much, the only thing making it not strictly worse than summonings is the cycle mode. If it was to cycle and one mana less for the enchantment I would be into it I think, but it's just too much to justify a card slot in a list that's already so heavy on good options. I already have a list of a dozen or so cards that could be great but I don't run, so the barrier to entry is pretty high for the deck at this point.

MeowZeDung

Hold the freaking phones y'all!

Akim, the Soaring Wind

I've only seen it in German so far, but here's a translation I found:

Akim, the Soaring Wind
2URW
Legendary Creature - Bird Dinosaur
3/4 Flying

Whenever you create one or more creature tokens for the first time each turn, create a 1/1 white Bird creature token with flying.

3URW: Creature tokens you control gain Double Strike until end of turn.

So, only one token *PER TURN*, up to 4 per turn cycle in a standard 4-player game. They are flyers, and they make bird tribal seem like a more interesting and doable prospect if that's anyone's thing.

But I'm all about that activated ability. 6 mana is a lot, but I think it's only something I'd fire off if I had lethal as a result.

Hmmm... this one will take some thought. I love more flying tokens and doubling my army's power out of nowhere, but 5 mana for a slow token engine is a real cost.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”