Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 9 months ago

CCL August Top 4/Round 4

"Marks of Pain"

Melira, Sylvok Outcast, taken from here on MTGNexus, by Min Yum and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Groups and Batches Month here at the CCL, where we'll focus on sets of things in Magic that make a natural grouping as well as specific batching themes, which care about things being any one out of a set.

Challenge
Design two cards that are each one or more colors and don't share any colors. Each of them must have two of the three following phrases in its rules text: "poison counter(s)", "stun counter(s)", "-1/-1 counter(s)". They must not have the same two counter types in their rules text.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Not sharing any colors means just that. Color identity doesn't matter.
  • In other words, you can design a card mentioning -1/-1 and poison and one mentioning stun and poison, one mentioning -1/-1 and poison and one mentioning -1/-1 and stun, or one mentioning stun and poison and one mentioning -1/-1 and stun.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@kwanyeegor-ii
@AnotherAlias
@slimytrout
@Komandon
Your submissions are due Sunday, September 3rd, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (August 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (August 11th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due August 21st)
  • Top 7 — Open to top 7 finishers (August 24th-27th)
  • Top 7 Critiques (Due August 29th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (August 31st-September 3rd)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due September 5th)
  • Final (September, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 9 months ago

Light of the Fair Basilica 2W
Enchantment (Uncommon)
Whenever you gain life, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature an opponent controls. This ability triggers only once per turn.
1W: Put a stun counter on target artifact. Activate only once per turn.

Meldweb Hypnotist 4U
Creature - Phyrexian Wizard (Uncommon)
Prowess
Toxic 2
When Meldweb Hypnotist enters the battlefield, tap target creature an opponent controls and put a stun counter on it. Its controller gets a poison counter for each stun counter among permanents they control.
2/2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 9 months ago

Age of Decay
Enchantment (Mythic)
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, if it had a -1/-1 counter on it, its controller gets a poison counter.
: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.

Deep Sleeper
Creature - Kraken (Rare)
Deep Sleeper enters the battlefield tapped with five stun counters on it.
Whenever Deep Sleeper becomes untapped, create X 1/1 blue Tentacle creature tokens, where X is equal to Deep Sleeper's power.
Put a -1/-1 counter on Deep Sleeper: Untap Deep Sleeper.
7/7
Last edited by AnotherAlias 9 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 9 months ago

Scattered Contaminate 2BB
Sorcery (rare)
All players lose 2 life, get a poison counter and put a -1/-1 counter on each creature they control.

Medicinal Leeches 2W
Creature - Leech (uncommon)
Kicker - 1W
If Medicinal Leeches was kicked, when it enters the battlefield you may destroy up to two auras attached to creatures you control.
T, Sacrifice Medicinal Leeches: Remove all -1/-1, slime and stun counters from all creatures you control.
2/2

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 9 months ago

Would love an extra 24 hours if that's okay.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

slimytrout wrote:
9 months ago
Would love an extra 24 hours if that's okay.
Sure, extension granted.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Trial of the Shefet 1WB
Enchantment (U)
When Trial of the Shefet enters the battlefield, choose up to three creatures. Tap one of those creatures, put a stun counter on one of those creatures, and put a -1/-1 counter on one of those creatures.
When a Cartouche enters the battlefield under your control, return Trial of the Shefet to its owner's hand.

Jace, Incompleat 2UU
Legendary Planeswalker - Jace (M)
If you would put a counter on a player or another permanent, put an additional counter of that kind on that player or permanent.
+1: Each player exiles a card from the top of their library. You may play a noncreature card from among the exiled cards. Put the rest in their owners' graveyards.
-1: Tap target creature and put a stun counter on it.
-5: Each player mills five cards. Put a number of poison counters on each opponent equal to the number of nonland cards in that player's graveyard.
Last edited by slimytrout 9 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

With entries all in, I'm going to close this round in less than 3 and a half hours, so if you have any last-minutes edits, please finalize those.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Alright, round is now closed! Please critique all the other contestants in this round and organize them into a top 3. If you don't have time for critiques, please just submit the T3.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 9 months ago

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Light of the Fair Basilica
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - No one is happy to pull this.
(2/3) Elegance - Easy to understand. Fits as uncommon.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - This seems like it fits its color? Other than that, its fine.
(2/3) Balance - This is a very, very balanced card. Overbalanced even.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Its another white life gain card. I guess the stun counters are a little spicy.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Why is a supposedly "fair" basilica giving -1/-1 counter and stun counters? If you can explain the flavor I might change this score. Edit: Never mind, got around to reading some lore lately.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Everything looks to be in order.

Total: 14.5/21
Meldweb Hypnotist
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Perhaps Johnny might play it? Maybe?
(3/3) Elegance - Understandable enough, I suppose. Name and abilities fit quite well.

Development
(2/3) Viability - It fits its color well and doesn't break any rules
(2/3) Balance - Seems weak for constructed. I don't know much about limited environments. Could be a weird finisher if more stun counters are printed.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Really neat effect. It combines poison and stun counters well. Good job.
(2/3) Flavor - You know, many MTG card names have words that are just two words stuck together.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Once again, very polished.

Total: 17/21
Komandon
Show
Hide
Scattered Contaminate
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - No one really wants to pull this, especially since this is rare.
(3/3) Elegance - Easy to understand + name and ability fits together.

Development
(2/3) Viability - This fits black and rare fits, though its most likely bulk.
(2/3) Balance - You know, I'm just gonna put 2 for most of these cards because I don't understand limited.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - -1/-1 counter and poison are symbiotic. Life loss is also part of their friend group.
(3/3) Flavor - Flavor win.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - I was about to deduct points because there was no oxford comma, then I realized magic doesn't use oxford commas.

Total: 15.5/21
Medicinal Leeches
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - You know, I don't really know what I'm doing with rating these cards.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Flavor and mechanics are great.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Fits as white. Seems like an uncommon card?
(2/3) Balance - These ratings are quickly devolving into nonsense. Side note: Leeches and plague doctors. You seem to have a fascination for the era.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - This is very fresh, I think...
(2.5/3) Flavor - Leeches didn't really help that much, if I recall correctly. But whatever, cool flavor, fits, wow. I'm so good at rating stuff. Especially when tired.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Should be "When ~ enters the battlefield, if it was kicked..." Aura is always capitalized because it is a subtype.

Total: 17/21
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Trial of the Shefet
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Oh hey, look, its another one of those weird trial cards. Sandy socks edition.
(1.5/3) Elegance - Its Orzhov because you owe a debt to your feet after walking in the sand.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - Stun in neither blue nor a frozen place? Deserts are the opposite of ice. Except quicksand, maybe.
(2/3) Balance - Remind me to change these ratings later.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Trials are weird. There really aren't enough cartouches. And yet, R&D still printed them. Anyways, uh, card is okay. (Why am I continuing to "rate" these when I'm so bad at it?)
(1.5/3) Flavor - Desert.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Polished.

Total: 13.5/25
Jace, Incompleat
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - You know, I-. Wait no, Spike likes this. At least I think they do.
(3/3) Elegance - Not going to take points off for this, but [loyalty]+1[/loyalty] will give +1 if you don't use "noparse." Other than that, classic Jace shenanigans.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Its Jace.
(1/3) Balance - That doesn't look safe. The value and kill potential is off the charts, I think.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Oh hey look, its Jace.
(2.5/3) Flavor - You know, I don't really know much about the lo- Oh look, its Jace. 2.5/3 I guess.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - You know, maybe I should just click cancel and pretend this never existed.

Total: 17/25
Top 3
Show
Hide
Top 3:
3rd: slimytrout (13.5 + 17 = 30.5)
2nd: kwanyeegor-ii (14.5 + 17 = 31.5)
1st: Komandon (15.5 + 17 = 32.5)
Last edited by AnotherAlias 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 9 months ago

I'm assuming I'm too late. And I try to live by "Never ruin an apology with an excuse." — Ben Franklin. Still even if I don't make it it's only fair to submit a critique.

(I really need to figure out how to do that red quote pull down menu thing).

Huh. AnotherAlias. I never notice MTG doesn't use the Oxford common. I try to look up on current errata often but I try to use it in my everyday comments/posts online and texts. I like the Oxford common. Thank you for pointing that out. 😁
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
9 months ago
Light of the Fair Basilica 2W
Enchantment (Uncommon)
Whenever you gain life, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature an opponent controls. This ability triggers only once per turn.
1W: Put a stun counter on target artifact. Activate only once per turn.

Meldweb Hypnotist 4U
Creature - Phyrexian Wizard (Uncommon)
Prowess
Toxic 2
When Meldweb Hypnotist enters the battlefield, tap target creature an opponent controls and put a stun counter on it. Its controller gets a poison counter for each stun counter among permanents they control.
2/2
Light of the Fair Basilica The once per turn sold it. If it wasn't it wouldn't be fair. Also I like seeing a trigger mixed with a non trigger so it gets more uses. So 👍

Meldweb Hypnotist
I'm sorry. Even for a mythic seems over powered to me. Maybe if it has a slight prevention as they can pay by paying mama, exiling top of library or let you draw cards.
AnotherAlias wrote:
9 months ago
Age of Decay
Enchantment (Mythic)
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, if it had a -1/-1 counter on it, its controller gets a poison counter.
: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.

Deep Sleeper
Creature - Kraken (Rare)
Deep Sleeper enters the battlefield tapped with five stun counters on it.
Whenever Deep Sleeper becomes untapped, create X 1/1 blue Tentacle creature tokens, where X is equal to Deep Sleeper's power.
Put a -1/-1 counter on Deep Sleeper: Untap Deep Sleeper.
7/7
Age of Decay
Nice name. For a mythic is seems balanced. It may have a way to add -1/-1 counters put still time for a response. 👍

Deep Sleeper
Another nice name. My mind is odd. First think that came to mind is the type of book of choose your own adventure. And having a cards to allow you to have to strategize on just it not one other interactions is nice. So not OP and not requiring combos. Just future thought or reactionary. I guess like Chess. 👍👍
slimytrout wrote:
9 months ago
Trial of the Shefet 1WB
Enchantment (U)
When Trial of the Shefet enters the battlefield, choose up to three creatures. Tap one of those creatures, put a stun counter on one of those creatures, and put a -1/-1 counter on one of those creatures.
When a Cartouche enters the battlefield under your control, return Trial of the Shefet to its owner's hand.

Jace, Incompleat 2UU
Legendary Planeswalker - Jace (M)
If you would put a counter on a player or another permanent, put an additional counter of that kind on that player or permanent.
+1: Each player exiles a card from the top of their library. You may play a noncreature card from among the exiled cards. Put the rest in their owners' graveyards.
-1: Tap target creature and put a stun counter on it.
-5: Each player mills five cards. Put a number of poison counters on each opponent equal to the number of nonland cards in that player's graveyard.
Trial of the Shefet
Would be over powered if it wasn't only one plane related. Also not enough subtypes in non-creature cards in my opinion. I like how that plane has the Cartouche subtype. So I like the use of a little used subtype. 👍

Jace, Incompleat
Doesn't seem like a Jace card but I'm not going to focus on that. I don't know. Four mana for that static ability. But it is a planeswalker not an enchantment. 🤔. If it was a creature it can get an equipment or aura to make hexproof. And blue doesn't have like green and white ways to do global protection. (Sorry. Thinking while typing.) So it's ok for blue.
The abilities though. Being not corrupted nor black card the last ability doesn't seem like a blue sue to the poison. Maybe it it was a blue and black. Making Jace like what happened to Garruk. Maybe I'm not being fair. Jace's lore has him go thru so much he when from drawing to -n/-0 to milling. So it's ok if it was either the activated abilities or the static. Not both on the same card with no draw back. I'm sorry.

Top 3:
1st. AnotherAlias
2nd. kwanyeegor-ii
3rd. slimytrout (I'm sorry. I really like the enchantment. So still a 👍. )

slimytrout

Just a note: templating definitely does use the oxford comma, see for instance the reminder text for historic (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.) Obviously doesn't matter much for the CCL, but for the MCC judges will deduct points if you don't use it.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Light of the Fair Basilica just is doing too many things -- you gain life so you can put -1/-1 counters on creatures but also maybe you want to stun artifacts? For the hypnotists, a 5-mana 2/2 is rough even if it does have prowess, but maybe you could use it in a blue poison tempo deck where the body hardly matters since you just want to tap a blocker and add one poison to enable a lethal attack.
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
Age of Decay kind of seems like an unfun card -- either your opponent is attacking you and there's no way you can spend 9-mana total for a Virulent Wound, or your opponent is already losing and the poison counter are a win condition in a deck that's basically mono-removal. Deep Sleeper on the other hand seems pushed -- to start with, it combos with all the things Devoted Druid combos with, and then it also just lets you bide your time until you can make a ton of power. Plus, you can always just wait until your opponent points removal at it to activate and spit out however many 1/1s you're going to get.
Komandon
Show
Hide
Scattered Contaminate is nice -- a fun thing to make asymmetric, even if it probably could cost 1 less. Medicinal Leeches is a bit narrow, but the flavor is cool.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Komandon
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. AnotherAlias

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 9 months ago

Just have time for a t3 this round

1 slimytrout
2 komandon
3 anotheralias
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Three contestants are tied for second place - meaning all four move on to the finals! Final round to come tomorrow.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”