NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

chetoos
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by chetoos » 4 years ago

Rankle's assistant 1BB
Creature - Faerie Rogue [rare]
Flying
Whenever rankle's assistant deals combat damage to a creature, choose one, then choose one for every 3 faeries you control. You may choose the same mode more than once
[*]target player loses 1 life and draws a card
[*]target player discards a card
[*]target player sacrifices a creature
2/2

IIW: Design a magic card for your favorite pokemon.

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 4 years ago

Pinprick Vanguard U
Creature — Faerie Soldier {C}
Flying
As long as you own a card in exile, Pinprick Vanguard gets +2/+1.
Oona's kin began to feel another force at work, one far stronger than her Aurora.
1/1

IIW: Emrakul's presence is felt on another plane.
MEG

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 4 years ago

Mindful Pixies UU
Creature - Faerie Wizard (R)
Flying
Whenever an opponent casts an instant or sorcery spell, if its converted mana cost is less than or equal to the number of Faeries you control, you may copy it. You may choose new targets for the copy.
2/1

IIW: Creatures that love a creature type they don't have

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Nightmist Shanker UUBB
Creature — Faerie Rogue
Flying
Faeries you control have skulk. (They can't be blocked by creatures with greater power.)
Whenever you cast a Faerie spell, you lose 1 life and create a 1/1 black Faerie Rogue creature token with flying.
1/1

IIW: A tokenlink ability, like squirrellink.

haywire

Post by haywire » 4 years ago

Flock of Fae uu
Creature- Faerie {R}
Flying
Whenever a Faerie you control attacks, create a token that's a copy of Flock of Fae tapped and attacking. Exile that token at the beginning of the next end step.
Whenever Flock of Fae deals combat damage to a player, spells that player casts that target you or a Faerie you control cost more to cast until your next turn.
1/1

IIW: Variable/changeable power

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

Ego Snatcher 1U
Creature - Faerie Rogue (U)
Flash
Flying
When Ego Snatcher enters the battlefield, up to one other target creature loses all abilities for as long as Ego Snatcher remains on the battlefield.
"Who are you?"
1/3

IIW: Emojis as cards.
"Image"

ForestsCarl

Post by ForestsCarl » 4 years ago

Bitterbud B
Creature - Faerie Rogue (MR)
Flying
1b: Transform Bitterbud.
1/1
//
Bitterbloom (B)
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 1/1 black Faerie creature token with flying and you lose 1 life.
Sacrifice Bitterbloom: Faeries you control gain lifelink until end of turn.

IiW:
9+ CMC "non-wordy" planeswalkers (that are Ultra-Super-Suped-Up). (existing planeswalkers only please)
Last edited by ForestsCarl 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

scarbo

Post by scarbo » 4 years ago

Flatline wrote:
4 years ago
Spellsnap Sprite 1u
Creature — Faerie Wizard (U)
Flash
Flying
When Spellsnap Sprite enters the battlefield, return target noncreature spell to its owner's hand.
"Do it again so I can see!"
1/1

IIW: Popular Mechanics.
A Remand-ish take on Spellsnap Sprite brings flavor even if the design space feels redundant. Blue, especially in modern, provides plenty noncreature counter effect. Though this bypasses the dreaded Abrupt Decay, it only does so temporarily. Still, I really like the tempo this brings. It's simple. It's efficient. It does what a faerie is supposed to do.
mellifluoresce wrote:
4 years ago
Quicksilver Thief 2U
Creature - Faerie Rogue (R)
Flash
Flying
When Quicksilver Thief enters the battlefield, look at the top X cards of target player's library, where X is the number of Faeries you control, exile one of them, then put the rest on the bottom of that library in a random order. During any turn you attacked with a Faerie, you may cast that card and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast that spell.
1/2

IIW: Halo: Combat Evolved
The effect feels like this should also be black. If you're going to make Fallen Shinobi a faerie, go all in. And a 1/2 just won't cut it.
Cythare wrote:
4 years ago
Tiller of Temptation 1UU
Flying
When Tiller of Temptation enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature or planeswalker if its converted mana cost is less than or equal to the number of Faeries you control. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
2/1

IIW: Goblins
I don't know if you just didn't like Sower of Temptation, but we have some real trade-offs here. You'll need at least 2 other faeries for this to be reliable, which shouldn't be difficult by turn 3. I feel as though the permanence of the commandeer effect breaks this card, however, especially since your opponent isn't going to be controlling anything less than cmc 3 by turn 3.
chetoos wrote:
4 years ago
Rankle's assistant 1BB
Creature - Faerie Rogue [rare]
Flying
Whenever rankle's assistant deals combat damage to a creature, choose one, then choose one for every 3 faeries you control. You may choose the same mode more than once
[*]target player loses 1 life and draws a card
[*]target player discards a card
[*]target player sacrifices a creature
2/2

Ah, Rankle. Oh how we Faeries players rejoiced when we saw not one but two mythic faeries in ELD. Would Faeries emerge in the meta? Would WOTC ban Bitterblossom again? Nay! Alas, the power just isn't there. If I control 6 faeries, I'd like to do more. If I control 9, my victory should be guaranteed. If this deals any combat damage, it's probably going to die. The point of flyers is to avoid dealing combat damage to creatures, so you're just encouraging this to block.
Megiddo wrote:
4 years ago
Pinprick Vanguard U
Creature — Faerie Soldier {C}
Flying
As long as you own a card in exile, Pinprick Vanguard gets +2/+1.
Oona's kin began to feel another force at work, one far stronger than her Aurora.
1/1

IIW: Emrakul's presence is felt on another plane.
This really gives Delver a run for its money! I think non-rotating formats will be able to abuse this far too easily, but I like that it encourages building around it. I don't like that it doesn't encourage building faeries around it.
jamblock wrote:
4 years ago
Mindful Pixies UU
Flying
Whenever an opponent casts an instant or sorcery spell, if its converted mana cost is less than or equal to the number of Faeries you control, you may copy it. You may choose new targets for the copy.
2/1

IIW: Creatures that love a creature type they don't have
Oh my goodness! Once you have one or two other faeries, you're going to have a very unhappy opponent. Too unhappy? Should you have to sacrifice this to unlock its effect? Twincast on a stick is interesting, but this completely shuts down counterspells. That's fine, but it should cost more.
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Nightmist Shanker UUBB
Creature — Faerie Rogue
Flying
Faeries you control have skulk. (They can't be blocked by creatures with greater power.)
Whenever you cast a Faerie spell, you lose 1 life and create a 1/1 black Faerie Rogue creature token with flying.
1/1

IIW: A tokenlink ability, like squirrellink.
Flying isn't good enough evasion for you???
haywire wrote:
4 years ago
Flock of Fae uu
Creature- Faerie {R}
Flying
Whenever a Faerie you control attacks, create a token that's a copy of Flock of Fae tapped and attacking. Exile that token at the beginning of the next end step.
Whenever Flock of Fae deals combat damage to a player, spells that player casts that target you or a Faerie you control cost more to cast until your next turn.
1/1

IIW: Variable/changeable power
This is cute but raises some memory issues. A Geist of Saint Traft effect would have more balanced. I do like that it rewards tribalism, but it should have only triggered on its own attack.
Stapler wrote:
4 years ago
Ego Snatcher 1U
Creature - Faerie Rogue (U)
Flash
Flying
When Ego Snatcher enters the battlefield, up to one other target creature loses all abilities for as long as Ego Snatcher remains on the battlefield.
"Who are you?"
1/3

IIW: Emojis as cards.
Now this is interesting, elegant, and efficient. A big weakness to faeries is the inability to deal with a problematic permanent. With toughness to boot, there's do doubt this would become a staple in faerie decks, and this all achieved with the right level of balance. My only qualm is that its effect doesn't quite match what faeries do.
ForestsCarl wrote:
4 years ago
Bitterbud B
Creature - Faerie Rogue (MR)
Flying
1b: Transform Bitterbud.
1/1
//
Bitterbloom (B)
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 1/1 black Faerie creature token with flying and you lose 1 life.
Sacrifice Bitterbloom: Faeries you control gain lifelink until end of turn.

IiW:
9+ CMC "non-wordy" planeswalkers (that are Ultra-Super-Suped-Up). (existing planeswalkers only please)
I wish Bitterbloom did something a little more interesting than shamelessly ripping off Bitterblossom. Being able to sacrifice it and also give yourself a life boost just takes all the fun risk out of the card we know and love. This has a lot of potential, but you need to make it harder to transform and sacrifice or figure out a way to incorporate the lifelink more elegantly. Bitterblossom as it stands now is still a really good card. This just steals its thunder.

OK! Those were some delightful entries! I'll give Stapler a very honorable mention. Flatline takes the victory.

next: Popular Mechanics

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

I hit like on a way different version of Bitterbud than the final one

It had an actual transform condition and the lifelink had to be earned (with controlling two black planeswalkers nonetheless) and it was beautiful
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

chetoos

My bad, that was supposed to say player. I can't believe I mixed those up like that.

Megiddo
MEG

Aetherfield Thresher 4
Artifact — Vehicle {R}
Whenever Aetherfield Thresher deals combat damage to a player, you may destroy target nonbasic land that player controls. When a land is destroyed this way, its controller searches their library for a basic land card, puts it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffles their library.
Crew 3
"A well-cultivated field leads to a well-cultivated mind."
5/5

IIW: Something wacky. No restraint. Just make sure it's still printable and at least plausibly playable.
Last edited by Megiddo 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
MEG

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 4 years ago

Revered Tinkerer RW
Creature - Dwarf Artificer (U)
Whenever an equipped creature you control attacks alone, it gets +1/+1 for each other creature you control.
His clients appreciated his craftsmanship just as much as he appreciated their protection.
2/2

IIW: Fish

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

scarbo wrote:
4 years ago
Flying isn't good enough evasion for you???
you heard me

im not settling for some namby-pamby single level of evasion

there's dragons out there ok

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Post by mellifluoresce » 4 years ago

Witchwood Envoy GU
Creature - Elf Advisor (R)
Tribute 1 (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on Witchwood Envoy, each player draws a card.
2/2

IIW: Halo: Combat Evolved
Last edited by mellifluoresce 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Megiddo
MEG

i think we got three joke entries in a row here folks
MEG

scarbo

Post by scarbo » 4 years ago

Tezzeret, Tidehollow Scrapper 1ub
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (M)
Skulk
When Tezzeret, Tidehollow Scrapper enters the battlefield, search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost 3 or less, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Whenever Tezzeret deals combat damage to an opponent, you may put an artifact card with converted mana cost less than or equal to 3 from your hand onto the battlefield. If you control a legendary artifact, exile Tezzeret, then return him to the battlefield transformed under his owner's control.
2/3
///
Tezzeret, Proven Rhabdomancer
() Legendary Planeswalker - Tezzeret (M)
+1: Reveal the top card of your library. If it's an artifact card with converted mana cost 3 or less, put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, put it into your hand.
-3: Return target artifact card in your graveyard to the battlefield.
-7: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast an artifact spell, draw a card and each opponent loses life equal to its converted mana cost. You gain that much life."
(4)

IIW: what if the Simic weren't scientists
Last edited by scarbo 4 years ago, edited 8 times in total.

ForestsCarl

Post by ForestsCarl » 4 years ago

Demibeasts of Strength 3GG
Enchantment Creature - Beast (R)
When Demibeasts of Strength enters the battlefield, create a 3/3 green Beast enchantment creature token with "Whenever another creature with power 3 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, draw a card and you gain 1 life."
3/3

IiW:
9+ cmc "non-wordy and simple" planeswalkers (that are Super-
Suped-UP)

chetoos

Kaylee Frye 2UR
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer
Improvise
Whenever Kaylee Frye crews a vehicle, put a +1/+1 counter on that vehicle
Remove a +1/+1 counter from a vehicle you control: That vehicle gains indestructible until end of turn.
"Ya see, Captain, it's not that hard when you know where to look for the problem."
2/2

IIW: Design a magic card for your favorite pokemon
Last edited by chetoos 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

I am to misbehave.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Occo
Jarl of Skybreen

Post by Occo » 4 years ago

Sagas count as popular, right?

The Grand Invocation
4RR
Enchantment — Saga

1, 2: You may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield with a summoning counter on it. It gains haste.

3: Sacrifice each creature you control with a summoning counter on it.

Render link (imgur)

IIW: Creatures with off-color Adventures. (White Adventure on a blue card, R one on a G card, you get the idea)

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 4 years ago

I'll be posting judgments in the next few hours.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

chetoos

Karpatha, the dead god 2B
Legendary Creature - God
Karpatha can't attack or block unless you control at least 2 zombie tokens
2B: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature
Embalm 4B
5/5

IIW: Design a card for a silver bordered commander precon deck

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 4 years ago

Shredding Guitar 1GW
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature has banding.
All creatures able to block equipped creature do so.
Equip 4

IIW: CMC 4 creatures
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 4 years ago

For the record, I'm willing to accept any interpretation of the challenge. Whether it's a popular mechanic from MTG's history (whatever that means), some techie type thing that might be found in the magazine Popular Mechanics, or just a really well liked guy that fixes vehicles - like the Fonz. :)
Senseless Ramblings
Show
Hide
Megiddo - I like that this meets both interpretations of the challenge. The card really punishes those playing a deck full of nonbasics. Outside of that, this doesn't seem very good. It's one of those cards that either really good, or not good enough.

jamblock - I assume this Dwarf is a contributor to the magazine? :) I like the play on exalted, which is actually the first mechanic that popped to my mind when I though "popular MTG mechanics". Not sure why. Pretty cool card.

mellifluoresce - Was tribute a popular mechanic? I suppose it depends on who you ask. I don't really see its tribute being paid very often, but I could be wrong. Either way, it works outside of tribute, so it's no big whoop. Being symmetrical, it seems nicely balanced. The card's mechanics are perfect for its colors. Good stuff.

scarbo - Man is there a lot of text on this card. Even though all of the mechanics flow nicely into one another, the card still seems wonky to me for some reason. Especially the transform trigger. I think the last sentence of the transform should read, "Then if you control...".

Forestscarl - I don't really see how this fits into the challenge, but then again, the challenge was kinda ambiguous. It's weird for this to look for 3 power with everything being geared to 4 power these days, but I suppose that's ok. It's also weird but ok, that it's the token that gets the effect. This card's pretty powerful, it just seems odd to me.

cheetos (Kaylee Frye) - Pretty neat card, but I'm not sure it need to be legendary. I like that all of its mechanics feed into one another.

Occo - I'm pretty sure sagas are pretty popular. I like them. A double Through the Breach for one more mana that has a fairly easy way to keep the creatures seems really good. Probably too good.

cheetos (Karpath, the dead god) - The name of this seems goofy. God of the Dead would be much better IMO. The attack or block trigger is pretty cool, but the activated ability seems a bit too good to me.

Cythare - If the challenge was unpopular and confusing mechanics, this would win hands down.
Winner: mellifluoresce (HM: jamblock, cheetos (Kaylee Frye))
Next: Halo. Combat Evolved.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

chetoos

Karpath was supposed to be an actual god on amonkhet that had died, sorry I didn't get that across.

Warthog 3
Artifact - Vehicle (Uncommon)
Crew 2
Crew 3
When Warthog's second crew cost is paid, warthog gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
When Warthog attacks, if both crew costs have been paid this turn, it gains first strike until end of turn.
3/3

Last edited by chetoos 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”