Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

CCL August Signups/Round 2

"Batches within Batches"

Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain, taken from Artstation, by Brad Rigney and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Groups and Batches Month here at the CCL, where we'll focus on sets of things in Magic that make a natural grouping as well as specific batching themes, which care about things being any one out of a set.

Challenge
Design an artifact, legendary, or Saga card with "historic" in its rules text.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Friday, August 18th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (August 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (August 11th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due August 21st)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (August 22nd-25th)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due August 27th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (August 27th-31st)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due September 2nd)
  • Final (September, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 10 months ago

Nanuchyo, Epic Poet 1w
Legendary Creature - Human Bard (r)
Whenever you cast an Historic spell, proliferate Historic (Choose any number of historic permanents, then give each another counter of each kind already there.)
2/2

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 10 months ago

Estrella, Herald of the North Star
Legendary Creature - Spirit Cleric (R)
You may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to pay historic spell's mana costs.
Whenever you cast a historic spell, you may pay . If you do, scry 1, then draw a card.
Whenever you scry, put a +1/+1 counter on Estrella.
"The North Star guides us, it shows us a path unknown to many, and it leads us home."
1/3
Last edited by AnotherAlias 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 10 months ago

The Golden Age 3WW
Enchantment - Saga (rare)
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)

1 - As long as you control The Golden Age, casting historic spells cost 1 less and whenever you cast a historic spell for the first time this turn, remove a lore counter from The Golden Age. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)

2 - Create a 3/3 colorless Golem artifact creature token.

3 - Draw a card and until end of turn, whenever you gain life, gain double that amount of life instead.

Caspernicus

Post by Caspernicus » 10 months ago

Terfimere, the Shattered Mind 3UB
Legendary Creature - Human Warlock Artificer (M)
Flying, menace
Whenever you cast a historic spell, create Fractured Personality, a 3/3 black Zombie Construct artifact creature with menace. If you control 5 or more creatures named Fractured Personality, instead lose 1 life and draw a card.
He made it his life's mission to get the innumerable voices out of his head and into their own bodies, but he didn't fully realize the implications of giving his additional personalities mobility until it was too late.
3/5
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 10 months ago

Brassbloom, Crown of Argoth 2G
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (Rare)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each historic permanent you control and has reach and trample.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control four or more historic permanents, you gain 4 life.
Equip 3
Titania's essence bound within Thran metal.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

atlanticbomber

Post by atlanticbomber » 10 months ago

History Repeats Itself 3WU
Legendary Enchantment - Saga (R)
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)

1 - Draw three cards, then discard two card unless you discard a historic card. (Artifacts, Legendaries and Sagas are historic)

2 - Until end of turn, whenever you cast a historic spell, you gain 1 life.

3 - Return target historic permanent card from your graveyard to the battlefield.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Bump - anyone can enter and you have a bit more than 24 hours left!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10

Post by netn10 » 10 months ago

Age of Prosperity WW
Legendary Enchantment (Mythic)
Age of Prosperity can be in your starting deck only if it contains only historic cards and land cards.
Artifact spells you cast cost 2 less to cast.
Legendary permanents you control have ward 4.
1W: Put a lore counter on target Saga you control, or remove one from it.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 10 months ago

Loom of Destiny GU
Legendary Artifact (R)
T: Add one mana of any color. When you spend this mana to cast a historic spell, scry 1 and untap Loom of Destiny.
3GU, T: Copy target historic spell you control, except it isn't legendary if the spell is legendary.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 10 months ago

Desecration Catapult 2R
Artifact Creature - Construct Horror {U}
T, Sacrifice a historic permanent: Desecration Catapult deals 2 damage to any target.
4, Exile two cards from your graveyard: Untap target artifact you control. If you exiled one or more historic cards this way, scry 1.
0/4

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Alright, please critique the seven contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary!

Henlock
AnotherAlias
Komandon
Caspernicus
kwanyeegor-ii
atlanticbomber
netn10
slimytrout
MonoRedMage

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 9 months ago

Top 3 -
1 - Henlock
2 - atlanticbomber
3 - netn10

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 9 months ago

Henlock wrote:
10 months ago
Nanuchyo, Epic Poet 1w
Whenever you cast an Historic spell, proliferate Historic (Choose any number of historic permanents, then give each another counter of each kind already there.)
2/2
🤔. I'm sorry I understand what you are getting at by I'm trying to think of how common different named counters would be beneficial on existing cards to add additional. Unless it adds counters other historic cards have to other historic cards. Such as I believe some of the SNC cards can do simply.
AnotherAlias wrote:
10 months ago
You may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to pay historic spell's mana costs.
Whenever you cast a historic spell, you may pay . If you do, scry 1, then draw a card.
"The North Star guides us, it shows us a path unknown to many, and it leads us home."
1/3
Seems a lot going on for that mana cost and having an ability that triggers another ability on itself. I'm sorry just seems over powered.
Caspernicus wrote:
10 months ago
Terfimere, the Shattered Mind 3UB
Legendary Creature - Human Warlock Artificer (M)
Flying, menace
Whenever you cast a historic spell, create Fractured Personality, a 3/3 black Zombie Construct artifact creature with menace. If you control 5 or more creatures named Fractured Personality, instead lose 1 life and draw a card.
He made it his life's mission to get the innumerable voices out of his head and into their own bodies, but he didn't fully realize the implications of giving his additional personalities mobility until it was too late.
3/5
Weatherlight Compleated is one of my favor cards from Dominaria United this reminds me of that. And different was you can go. Often have replacement blockers or be patient and a draw engine.

kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
10 months ago
Brassbloom, Crown of Argoth 2G
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (Rare)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each historic permanent you control and has reach and trample.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control four or more historic permanents, you gain 4 life.
Equip 3
Titania's essence bound within Thran metal.
Only criticism is the mana cost for casting for that much. Otherwise it's a great card.
atlanticbomber wrote:
10 months ago

1 - Draw three cards, then discard two card unless you discard a historic card. (Artifacts, Legendaries and Sagas are historic)

3 - Return target historic permanent card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Legendary saga. I thought WotC should make those. And this makes sense since having two out and return the other.
netn10 wrote:
10 months ago
Age of Prosperity WW
Age of Prosperity can be in your starting deck only if it contains only historic cards and land cards.
Not sure how this stipulation would be enforceable. It nice idea though.
slimytrout wrote:
10 months ago
Loom of Destiny GU
Legendary Artifact (R)
T: Add one mana of any color. When you spend this mana to cast a historic spell, scry 1 and untap Loom of Destiny.
3GU, T: Copy target historic spell you control, except it isn't legendary if the spell is legendary.
👍. Right cost for the casting and the second ability.
MonoRedMage wrote:
10 months ago
Desecration Catapult 2R
T, Sacrifice a historic permanent: Desecration Catapult deals 2 damage to any target.
4, Exile two cards from your graveyard: Untap target artifact you control. If you exiled one or more historic cards this way, scry 1.
0/4
My only criticism is the red with scry. Doesn't fit the color pie IMO. Impulse draw would and that can be handled I different ways to make it feasible.

Top 3:
1: Caspernicus
2: slimytrout
3: atlanticbomber

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 9 months ago

Komandon - I like the idea. Infinite mana cheat is bad design but if it costs enough then it is fine. Plus, it takes forever. So there are many better things to be doing. The other abilities are kinda useless though. Also, if you get to 2 do lore counters still get removed? If so, if you have gotten 1 twice, are two lore counters removed? Overall, I like the design, even if I feel that the wording could be a little more clear.

Caspernicus - It's cool, I can see what you're going for. However, I feel like it is a little on the weak side for a mythic.

kwanyeegor-ii - Effect is good. Perhaps, mana cost is too high though?

atlanticbomber - First effect is strong, gets the target in the graveyard. Second effect is fine, I guess. Seems filler, which is fair. Third brings back, idk, Portal to Phyrexia or Cityscape Leveler. Fair at its cost. I think the name fits.

netn10 - Now this, this is too strong, even as a mythic card. It has a unique setback but how would this work in paper? The price decrease should say something like "This effect can't reduce the mana in that cost to less than one mana." in my opinion. Last ability looks like it could enable something scary. Don't know what though.

slimytrout - God that's a lot of ramp. I just got to figure out how to break this.

MonoRedMage - First ability looks fair. So does the second one. Just a very fair card in general. I mean, any setup you could do with this is just not going to be that good.

Top 3:
3rd: Caspernicus
2nd: Komandon
1st: atlanticbomber

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Post by void_nothing » 9 months ago

Please get your critiques in for this round and round 1 if you have not done so yet - everyone can have until 23:59 Eastern tomorrow (the 23rd)!

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 9 months ago

crits
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
10 months ago
Nanuchyo, Epic Poet 1w
2/2
based oin the flavor it looks like the main purpose of this card is to chain sagas into each other... this could possibly get crazy if you play multiple sagas per turn. ha smany other interesting things it can do as well... like arcbound creatures lol
AnotherAlias wrote:
10 months ago
1/3
A refrence to North Star? That is a very forgotten card. This feels kind of like an elf from the Lord of the Rings UB set. the abilities are all cool but it has the same problem for edh as Kentaro, the Smiling Cat
Komandon wrote:
10 months ago
The Golden Age 3WW
Enchantment - Saga (rare)

1 - As long as you control The Golden Age, casting historic spells cost 1 less and whenever you cast a historic spell for the first time this turn, remove a lore counter from The Golden Age. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)

2 - Create a 3/3 colorless Golem artifact creature token.

3 - Draw a card and until end of turn, whenever you gain life, gain double that amount of life instead.
Interesting, a saga that you can keep going. fits the flavor of a golden age, as long as the historic spells keep going it continues lol. lots of 3/3 tokens could be powerful but it is five mana. i'm not sure why the golden age ending doubles your lifegain lol
atlanticbomber wrote:
10 months ago

another historic themed saga, also a cool idea. that chapter 3 ability looks like the most fun and the chapter 2 seems kind of weak versus the draw and the reanimation
netn10 wrote:
10 months ago
Age of Prosperity WW
I'd love to play this card lol but it's so ovedrcomplicated. it could probably only be an alchemy card
slimytrout wrote:
10 months ago
Loom of Destiny GU
Legendary Artifact (R)
my favorite design in terms of actual effects. the untapping ability for the mana ability might be op but a combo would need some kind of artifact loop i think. the copying ability is powerful so Im glad it's 5 mana
MonoRedMage wrote:
10 months ago
Desecration Catapult 2R
0/4
Interesting theme and flavor. i like that it can sacrifice itself but I don't know if the second ability is red
top 3
Show
Hide
1 slimytrout
2 atlanticbomber
3 anotheralias
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Post by void_nothing » 9 months ago

Okay, owing to a tie, our top seven contestants are the following:

kwanyeegor-ii
AnotherAlias
slimytrout
Henlock
Caspernicus
Komandon
atlanticbomber

Next round to come soon!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”