August MCC - Round 2 - Will It Blend?

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Raptorchan
Vidauna's Hand
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 10 months ago

(banner pic is Endless Horizons by Joshua Hagler)

August MCC

Round 2 - Will It Blend?

Sometimes we get new Modern Horizons set during Summer. But not this year. Anyway, show me your best designs for the new Modern Horizons set as though it was right there!

This month, we make designs that we can likely see in Modern Horizons sets, with Modern playability and Horizons design philosophy in mind.

Good news: designs you come up with in early rounds won't affect your designs for further rounds! Like, at all.

Main Challenge - Make a card for Modern Horizons set that has two or more keyword abilities.

Subchallenge 1 - A) Your card has at least two keyword abilities that weren't put together on a card before OR/AND B) your card has at least one keyword ability that wasn't put on a card of this card type before.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card's name shares at least one word with the name of a card that's not legal in Modern (see list).

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge - First of all, your card mast HAVE these abilities, unconditional (printed Trample is fine, printed "this creature has trample for as long as..." isn't! The list of options (see above) is broad enough, so everything goes, but keep in mind, we are talking about Modern Horizons set, so something unique and unprecedented like Throes of Chaos can be considered a brilliant example when Segovian Angel isn't so much although it passes too.

Subchallenge 1 - for option A, see Feaster of Fools as an example: convoke and devour weren't printed on a card together before. For option B, see Watcher for Tomorrow that was the first creature card with Hideaway (However, to satisfy the main challenge, you still need to add at least one more keyword ability from the list). Note: you may fulfill both options A and B, but it still counts as one so you don't really need to do both - you still earn 1 point for fulfilling the subchallenge 1.

Subchallenge 2 - It must be a noun, verb, adverb or adjective, so particles such as "the", "a", "to", "of" and so on don't count.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Monday, August 14th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Friday, August 18th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

Raptorchan
Ink-Treader

PLAYERS

bravelion83
Rithaniel
void_nothing
Haywire
SronerOfKruphix
Venedrex
slimytrout
kwanyeegor-ii

BRACKETS (Top 2 from each bracket adv... whoops, it turned out to be 3)

Ink-Treader
slimytrout
kwanyeegor-ii
StonerOfKruphix
Venedrex

Raptorchan
void_nothing
bravelion83
haywire
Rithaniel
Last edited by Raptorchan 10 months ago, edited 3 times in total.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 10 months ago

Iri, Head of the Metal Flock XUUU
Legendary Artifact Creature — Thopter (R)
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 1/1 blue Thopter artifact creature with flying.
Modular X, graft X (This creature enters the battlefield with twice X +1/+1 counters on it. Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may move a +1/+1 counter from this creature onto it. When this creature dies, you may put its +1/+1 counters on target artifact creature.)
0/0
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Design deadline on the 15th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

haywire

Post by haywire » 10 months ago

Lymphatic Fountain
Artifact {U}
You and creatures you control have absorb 1 and ward . (If a source would deal damage to you or a creature you control, prevent 1 of that damage. Whenever you or a creature you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter it unless that player pays .)
, Sacrifice Lymphatic Fountain: Prevent all damage that would be dealt to creatures and players this turn. Creatures and players gain hexproof until end of turn.
The blessings it imparts are plentiful. Just don't question what liquid it holds.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 10 months ago

Arbiter of Strength
Creature — Naga Warrior (R)
Vigilance, trample
Whenever one or more creatures you control with power 4 or greater deal combat damage to a player, populate. (Create a token that's a copy of a creature token you control.)
Eternalize (, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 4/4 black Zombie Naga Warrior with no mana cost. Eternalize only as a sorcery.)
3/3
Last edited by Venedrex 10 months ago, edited 8 times in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 10 months ago

Narren, Ruthless Warleader RWB
Legendary Creature — Orc Warrior (M)
Exalted
Boast — 2RWB: Target creature you control gains your choice of first strike, deathtouch, or lifelink until end of turn. Untap it. After this phase, there's an additional combat phase and only that creature may attack during that phase.
"We'll strike so hard they'll feel it twice!"
3/3
Last edited by StonerOfKruphix 10 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 10 months ago

Guardian of Ankri Bay
Artifact Creature - Equipment Gargoyle R
Flying, hexproof
Equipped creature has flying and hexproof.
Reconfigure
Totem armor (If equipped creature would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it and destroy this Equipment.)
"Ankri Bay is one of the safest ports on the coast. The only issue is that the gargoyles can be a bit unsettling to be around."
—Yest, trader captain

2/2
Last edited by Rithaniel 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 10 months ago

Caldaia Alley Cleaner 4RR
Artifact Creature - Juggernaut (Rare)
Double strike
Modular 3 (This creature enters the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on it. When it dies, you may put its +1/+1 counters on target artifact creature.)
Fabricate 1 (When this creature enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on it or create a 1/1 colorless Servo artifact creature token.)
Blitz 3RR (If you cast this spell for its blitz cost, it gains haste and "When this creature dies, draw a card." Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.)
0/0
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

Dread Epinikion 3W
Enchantment (M)
Tribute 1
When Dread Epinikion enters the battlefield, if tribute wasn't paid, each opponent sacrifices an artifact if they control more artifacts than you. Repeat this process for creatures, enchantments, lands, and planeswalkers.
Creatures you control get +X/+X and have vigilance, where X is 1 plus the number of +1/+1 counters on Dread Epinikion.
4B, Sacrifice Dread Epinikion: For each of up to two target creature cards with mana value 3 or less in graveyards, create a token that's a copy of that card.
Escape - 3W, Exile five other cards from your graveyard.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 10 months ago

Clanless Killer 1B
Creature — Human Assassin (U)
Dash 1BB (You may cast this spell for its dash cost. If you do, it gains haste, and it's returned from the battlefield to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.)
Exploit (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a creature.)
When Clanless Killer exploits a creature, target creature gets +1/+0 and gains menace, deathtouch, and lifelink until end of turn.
3/1

Raptorchan
Vidauna's Hand

Let's judging begin.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 10 months ago

Judgeholder, and can I just say how thankful I am that I didn't have to try and figure out how to have scryfall just look for one word in a card name, because you all chose words that happened to have at least 1 card that had its name in its text too.

And done. I've poured over this long enough; it's a 3 way tie.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy doesn't particularly enjoy exploit, though that is a nice chunk of keywords to hand out. This has enough repeatable stuff to intrigue Johnny. Spike appreciates this the most.
(3/3) Elegance - Elegant enough.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Black is certainly correct, and uncommon seems reasonable. Nothing odd about it.
(3/3) Balance - Certainly seems threatening in Limited, but not overbearing depending on the environment. In Constructed I do wonder if it's good enough, but it's certainly got potential as a good way to try and close out a game.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Dash/Exploit is a fun combo, and no existing exploit card provides a buff to another creature. I'd say it's fresh enough.
(2/3) Flavor - Name is pretty bland. Having two different clan abilities does seem to suit a clanless creature, but should it have any, if it's clanless? I think it works here, it is the two black aligned abilities. Exploit and deathtouch provide the killer here.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Exploit and Dash
(2/2) Subchallenges - Dash and Exploit haven't been together before, and at least 'Killer' fulfills the second challenge.

Total: 23/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Has Timmy appeal certainly. Has some interest for Johnny. Spike appreciates the many different ways this could be played.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Multiple of similar abilities (Modular and Fabricate) are pretty weird, but this is otherwise fine.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Red and rare are fine I think. Fabricate notably hasn't existed in red, but I don't think that's an issue.
(3/3) Balance - There's so many potential play patterns here, and it's pretty cool. I'm not sure it's good enough for Constructed, but a 3/3 hasty double strike that leaves behind a 4/4 and replaces itself with a card doesn't seem too terrible for 5. Limited it's certainly very good, but a rare is allowed to be.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - This combination of keywords is actually pretty fun, and pretty original. Double strike hasn't been printed with modular or fabricate, and while there's an obvious reason for the latter, you've designed a card where the choice to make a token is actually worth while despite the double strike.
(2/3) Flavor - Has some Capenna flavor to back the blitz, but is pretty generic otherwise. The idea works well enough, at least.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Four even
(2/2) Subchallenges - I don't even need to check the first to know it's fulfilled, and "Alley" at least fulfills the second.

StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Not a Johnny card really. Timmy very much thinks this is cool. Spike is curious if the Boast is worth it; extra combats can be strong, but is it strong here?
(3/3) Elegance - I'd say so.

Development
(2/3) Viability - This could get away with being just black and red; exalted is allowed in black. I don't feel this warrants Mythic; extra combat phases can be rare or mythic, and I feel this is limited enough to just be rare. It's a Limited bomb most certainly, but I think it's fine.
(2/3) Balance - A powerhouse in Limited potentially, but I don't think it'll make much of a splash in Constructed. I'm not even sure it's a terribly interesting Commander.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - It's kind of an inverse Finest Hour. You can attack with multiple creatures the first time, but only the one you choose the second, as opposed to only one the first time, than however many the second. Still a new Boast ability, and I'm honestly surprised we didn't get an extra combat Boast.
(3/3) Flavor - Exalted and Boast is such a cool combo in terms of flavor. I think this comes together quite nicely.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - I think this is correct, though I suspect it might normally be "that combat", not "that phase"
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Exalted and Boast
(2/2) Subchallenges - The first is certainly fulfilled, and "Ruthless" qualifies for the second.

Total: 20.5/25
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy loves this. Johnny can appreciate populating tokens, and definitely sees what's going on with the Eternalize. It's pretty efficient, so Spike would definitely give this a go.
(3/3) Elegance - Certainly.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Green is perfectly acceptable, and rare is fine. There could be arguments for Mythic, due to its self contained geometric growth akin to Mirror-Sigil Sergeant.
(3/3) Balance - This is an absolute beast in Limited I'd guess. I'd wager it could certainly see play in Constructed formats, and Commander. Geometric growth on the Eternalize token aside, this is fairly reasonable, and that requires some effort at least.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - It does have a similarity to Mirror-Sigil-Sergeant, but that aside this feels pretty fresh in terms of package, especially being a token that can populate itself.
(2/3) Flavor - Generic name. Strength certainly comes through in terms of the power requirement on the populate, and that requirement existing could be argument enough that it's an arbiter.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - It's got 3. (It technically doesn't 'have' populate I think. Not sure)
(2/2) Subchallenges - The good news is that I don't even have to quibble about the intent of 'having' here, because apparently trample and eternalize have not been printed on a card before. "Arbiter" and "Strength" each qualify for the second.

Scores (bold advance)
Show
Hide
slimytrout:23
kwanyeegor-ii:23
Venedrex:23

StonerofKruphix:20.5

Raptorchan
Vidauna's Hand

Crits
Show
Hide
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(1,5/3) Appeal - It's a Timmy card though and though, Johnny may find some fringe uses, and for Spike it's just too slow and expensive.
(2,5/3) Elegance - I am concerned about reminder text. Modular and Graft are two separate abilities and writing such combined reminder text is not wrong, but may be untrue for the rulings - just as different instances of Modular trigger separately, so do Graft and Modular. In conclusion, in some corner cases it's important that there isn't, in fact, "twice X", but two Xs. Other than that, I must notice that your card is one of the least wordy and, therefore, elegant cards this round.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Graft is blue and Moduar may be in all colors. Rarity is appropriate.
(2/3) Balance - It's an expensive card that can win you Limited games, but it's too slow for Constructed due to mana cost you must pay without many means to cheat it into play.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - A card that produces tokens, buffs them and has a death effect is unique enough as a combination of such effects. Well, honestly, uniqueness is bound to the main challenge of this round.
(3/3) Flavor - I see no problems here, it's evocative and easily imaginable.

Polish
(2,5/3) Quality - you forgot to specify "token". Quite a mistake.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Met.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both met.

Total: 21,5/25
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Mostly a Timmy card. It requires setup as an anthem and too slow as a good reanimator, and tribute as a mechanic that lets your opponents choose is not a very good deal for Spike. Johnny may find some uses for it, but personally I barely see it.
(1/3) Elegance - With all honesty, this card is a mess. It has four abilities with three of them being extremely wordy even without reminder text, it operates with +1/+1 counters despite not being a creature, which is not unprecedented, but definitely makes it more confusing, and after all, it has about twice more rules text than can normally fit on a card...

Development
(2,5/3) Viability - No one can say it's not a mythic, and all abilities are okay for white, but black here feels more like a stretch, considering the fact that reanimation of smaller creatures is mostly white's jam. Creating tokens feels mostly as a strange gimmick but I guess it helps it to escape easier.
(2,5/3) Balance - It's a packed card that feels dangerously close to be broken in a right deck because it's baseline is 4 mana anthem with vigilance with an option of balance effect or additional buff for of an opponent's choice. And then it has a way to "reanimate" creatures and recur itself after. But after all, it's just a mere enchantment. It's really hard to judge, I just can say "it's a perfectly balanced card".

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - It's something new.
(3/3) Flavor - I had to Google whet "Epinikion" is and the flavor feels alright. I can even understand how it creates token copies if the dead.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - One mistake, it must be "have vigilance and get +X/+X, where..." so you can explain what X is. See Drach'Nyen for example of the right templating.

Total: 20/25
haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy is mildly interested in something that helps him keep his guys alive, Spike and Johnny can consider it as something that gives them more time to reach their goals, Spike less so because this card is defensive.
(2,5/3) Elegance - I like the symmetry between the main ability and sac ability. But reminder text makes it so wordy it simply doesn't have room for flavor text.

Development
(2/3) Viability - I would say it's a rare candidate rather than uncommon. Remember Valkmira, Protector's Shield? White is fine.
(3/3) Balance - It's a purely defensive card so I would say it's an acceptable price for a card aimed at Modern. It also seems less useful than Valkmira in most cases because it works only with creatures and players, therefore it can be cheaper.

Creativity
(2,5/3) Uniqueness - Game has very similar effects tied together, but not many.
(3/3) Flavor - It's okay and a nice throwback to Lymphatic Sliver.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - No issues here, and you tied reminder texts together right.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Met

Total: 22/25
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - It's a dangerous card that appeals to everyone, Timmy for being such an effective yet cheap beater, Spike and Johnny because it's very hard to get rid of and trades well.
(2/3) Elegance - It requires changing Totem Armor rules because current rules are tied to Auras and Auras only. Other than that, simple end elegant enough.

Development
(3/3) Viability - It flies and protects, it can done both in monoblue and monowhite, but I guess it was made two-colored so it can have more aggressive mana value.
(2/3) Balance - I see this card as something dangerously close to be broken or at least extremely annoying to deal with, it's just too well protected.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Surprisingly not many cards like that or similar.
(1,5/3) Flavor - Flavor text feels kinda dull and a bit too explanational, and more important, Totem Armor doesn't have flavorful connection to Gargoyles or reconfigure artifacts.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - No issues.

Total: 21,5/25
Results, bold advance
Show
Hide
haywire 22
bravelion83 21,5
Rithaniel 21,5

void_nothing 20