Hall of Gemstone

Candlemane
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Candlemane » 5 years ago

I was playing at the local shop and the game was about to end as we'd come to the last turns due to time limits. Hall of Gemstone was in play, and so was a Teferi, Time Raveler. It came to my turn, and I picked Red, going to the Godo, Bandit Warlord and Helm of the Host combo to end the game. The player before me responded with In Garruk's Wake due to Teferi's static ability.

After it was said and done, it came to our attention that Hall of Gemstone's ability would have made the casting of In Garruk's Wake impossible, as someone else pointed out that it effects all players' color-producing lands, not just the active player.

While I've sorted this out and the opinion is that it does in fact work to affect all players and not just the active player, I had trouble confirming this on my own through searching around the internet and asking people. So, for the sake of getting knowledge out there, my question is the following:

Does Hall of Gemstone, when a player chooses a color because of its ability, affect ALL players' color-producing lands for the turn, making them all only possibly tap for the chosen color?

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 5 years ago
It does indeed affect all players. Note that while Hall specifies the player that makes the choice of color, it does not limit that choice only to that player's own lands. It says that "lands tapped for mana" produce the chosen color. Since an opponent's lands are, in fact, "lands tapped for mana" they will be affected just like the Active Player's would be.
Go to full post
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

WizardMN
Answers: 132

Post by WizardMN » 5 years ago

It does indeed affect all players. Note that while Hall specifies the player that makes the choice of color, it does not limit that choice only to that player's own lands. It says that "lands tapped for mana" produce the chosen color. Since an opponent's lands are, in fact, "lands tapped for mana" they will be affected just like the Active Player's would be.

Arson

Post by Arson » 4 years ago

Sorry. Just a little confused. How does Godo, Bandit Warlord with Helm of the Host end the game?

LastConformist

Post by LastConformist » 4 years ago

Arson wrote:
4 years ago
Sorry. Just a little confused. How does Godo, Bandit Warlord with Helm of the Host end the game?
At the beginning of combat, Helm of the Host creates a Godo token. It attacks, creating a new combat phase. At the beginning of that combat phase, Helm of the Host creates another Godo token. It attacks and generates a new combat phase, which results in the creation of a new Godo token that attacks, etc., so you get infinite combat phases and infinite Godos and can attack everyone for lethal.

Arson

Post by Arson » 4 years ago

Oh that's pretty awesome! Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”