August MCC - Round 1 - I Recognize This Reference

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Raptorchan
Vidauna's Hand
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 10 months ago

(banner pic is Endless Horizons by Joshua Hagler)

August MCC

Round 1 - I Recognize This Reference

Sometimes we get new Modern Horizons set during Summer. But not this year. Anyway, show me your best designs for the new Modern Horizons set as though it was right there!

This month, we make designs that we can likely see in Modern Horizons sets, with Modern playability and Horizons design philosophy in mind.

Good news: designs you come up with in early rounds won't affect your designs for further rounds! Like, at all.

Main Challenge - Make a card for Modern Horizons set that's a reference to another Magic card.

Subchallenge 1 - Your card is monocolored.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card and the card it references don't share card types.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge - There are many examples in Time Spiral, Modern Horizons and other sets. For example, Arcbound Javelineer references Icatian Javelineers. Brass Gnat is a reference to Brass Man. Goblin Anarchomancer references Goblin Electromancer. Cabal Therapist is a reference to Cabal Therapy. And so on.
Please name the card you reference in your design!

Subchallenge 1 - Simple as, your card is colored and has only one color, determined by its mana cost. Note: card's color is not the same as card's color identity for Commander and these two can be different.

Subchallenge 2 - for example, Bazaar Trademage references Bazaar of Baghdad. But Trademage is a creature when Bazaar is a land - therefore, they don't share card types.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, August 5th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Wednesday, August 9th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

Raptorchan
Ink-Treader

PLAYERS

bravelion83
Rithaniel
Komandon
void_nothing
Haywire
SronerOfKrtuphix
Venedrex
slimytrout
netn10
kwanyeegor-ii

BRACKETS (Top 4 from each bracket advance)

Raptorchan:
SronerOfKrtuphix
Venedrex
slimytrout
netn10
kwanyeegor-ii

Ink-Treader:
bravelion83
Rithaniel
Komandon
void_nothing
Haywire
Last edited by Raptorchan 10 months ago, edited 4 times in total.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 10 months ago

Ponder

Drush, Pondering Anarchist 2UU
Legendary Planeswalker — Drush (M)
Append 3UR (You may cast this spell for its append cost. If you do, add the words in curly brackets.)
Drush has hexproof as long as it's not your turn.
+1: Look at the top three cards of your library, then put them back in any order. You may shuffle. Draw a card.
-2: Exile the top five cards of your library, then shuffle. Put one of those cards into your hand, another one on top of your library, and a third one on the bottom of your library. {Until your next turn, you may play the rest of the exiled cards.}
-7: Draw seven cards, then discard cards until you have exactly seven cards in your hand. {Drush deals 7 damage to each of up to seven creatures.}
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Design deadline on the 15th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 10 months ago

Invasion of Llanowar 3GG
Battle — Siege (MR)
Whenever one or more defense counters are removed from Invasion of Llanowar, create that many 1/1 green Elf Druid creature tokens with "T: Add G."

/////

Eladamri Unifies the Tribes
{G} Enchantment
Elf creatures you control get +3/+3 and have forestwalk and shroud.
Under the leadership of the Lord of Leaves, the splintered tribes formed an united front against the Phyrexian invaders.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 10 months ago

Jokulmord
Enchantment - Aura U
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a land.
Enchant permanent
Enchanted permanent doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.
Whenever enchanted permanent's controller play an Island, they may untap enchanted permanent.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 10 months ago

Lord of Atlantis

Atlantean Sigil
Enchantment (R)
Merfolk you control get +1/+1 and have islandwalk.
Tactics cannot succeed without discipline. Boldness cannot succeed without courage. And leadership cannot be earned without trust.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 10 months ago

Aether Vial

Vile Aether-Ooze G
Creature — Ooze (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a +1/+1 counter on Vile Aether-Ooze.
T: You may put a creature card with mana value equal to Vile Aether-Ooze's power from your hand onto the battlefield.
"Its ability to instantiate life out of pure aether is truly remarkable. Just don't stand downwind."
—Oviya Pashiri, sage lifecrafter

0/1

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 10 months ago

Smoke

Smoke Barrier 1RR
Creature - Wall (Rare)
Defender
Players can't untap more than one creature during their untap steps.
r, Sacrifice Smoke Barrier, T: Smoke Barrier deals 1 damage to each tapped creature.
0/5

netn10

Post by netn10 » 10 months ago

Paradise of Birds 2GG
Sorcery (Rare)
For each Bird you control, create a Forest Island land token named Tropical Island.
"Wherever the birds soar, we shall follow, for their realm is bountiful, untouched by the clutches of human greed."
- Dionus, elvish archdruid
Last edited by netn10 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 10 months ago

Crushing Pain

Oni of Crushing Pain 3B
Creature - Demon Spirit (Rare)
Spiritcraft - Whenever you cast a Spirit or Arcane spell, you may have Oni of Crushing Pain get +3/+0 until end of turn. If you don't, it gains lifelink and deathtouch until end of turn.
1R, T, Exile a legendary card from your hand or graveyard: Oni of Crushing Pain deals damage equal to its power divided as you choose among any number of targets that were dealt damage this turn.
3/3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero

Cult of the Toten-Vec X1WW
Legendary Enchantment (R)
When Cult of the Toten-Vec enters the battlefield, create X 1/1 white Rebel creature tokens.
3: Put a creature card from your graveyard on the bottom of your library. If you do, search your library for a permanent card that shares a creature type with that card, doesn't share a name with it, and has mana value equal to or less than the number of permanents you control that share with a creature type with it, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle. Activate only once per turn.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

haywire

Post by haywire » 10 months ago

Norin the Wary

Mentorship of the Wary r
Enchantment - Aura {U}
Enchant creature you control
When a player casts a spell or a creature attacks, exile enchanted creature. Return it to the battlefield under its owners control at the beginning of the next end step.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield from exile under your control, if Mentorship of the Wary is in your graveyard, you may pay r. If you do, return Mentorship of the Wary to the battlefield attached to that creature. Otherwise, exile Mentorship of the Wary.

Raptorchan
Vidauna's Hand

Alright, the round is closed. Let's judge!

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 10 months ago

I think I'm happy with this on further review. Judgments done.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Johnny can certainly appreciate the amount of library manipulation this offers, as can Spike. Timmy likes the appended stuff, but isn't too interested in the rest.
(2.5/3) Elegance - There's a lot going on with the second loyalty ability, but the rest is elegant enough.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Certainly blue, and the appended effects are certainly red. Mythic is appropriate. Introducing a new mechanic in a Horizons set is questionable, however, with MH2 having new variants (Devour artifact, trample over planeswalkers) at most. The mechanic itself I'm fine with, as WotC has becomes less shy about potential memory issues, and they're pretty minimal on this. There is an awful lot of shuffling involved here, which isn't ideal, but likely alright on something as impactful as a planeswalker.
(2.5/3) Balance - Continuous library manipulation is quite strong, and this does have a conditional hexproof that only allows interaction during your turn. It does lack any other means to protect itself outside of the appended ultimate, which doesn't really count as protection. The appended version is even better at the library manipulation, but I do suspect it will often be better to play this for the standard cost.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - That is a unique hexproof condition. The second loyalty ability is pretty wild, and the ultimate (even unappended) is also fairly unique. And of course there's append itself; while it is just reverse cleave, it's still new.
(2/3) Flavor - Doesn't really feel that anarchic unless appended, but there's certainly plenty of pondering, as a reference and in flavorful connection.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Pretty sure you don't need the 'exactly' on the ultimate; that word is generally employed as part of a condition check.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Rather directly references Ponder.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Is monocolored, and isn't a sorcery like the referred card.

Total: 21.5/25
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy has no interest. Johnny has some, but wishes the untap trigger was from an Island entering the battlefield as opposed to being played. Spike has the most appreciation for something this efficient.
(3/3) Elegance - Quite elegant.

Development
(3/3) Viability - It's certainly blue, and it's certainly uncommon. It can be akin to 1 mana value land destruction, but you are giving up a land to do so.
(3/3) Balance - Is it good enough? Sacrificing a land is a steep cost, and due to the untap condition isn't totally certain to shut things down. But when it's good, it can be back breaking. I think it's probably fine.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - It's part of the family of "doesn't untap during untap step" blue Auras, and part of the subfamily of those that allows untapping in some way. It does feel reasonably different despite that venerable lineage, at least.
(1.5/3) Flavor - It's a flavorful connection by mechanics, but the name doesn't really work in this case. Jokulmorder definitely can kill things; this does not.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - should be "plays an Island". not "play an Island"
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Indeed.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Monocolored and not a creature.

Total: 20.5/25
Komandon
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Timmy isn't too interested in this, and neither is Johnny really. Spike can appreciate this most, though would likely prefer to original article by far. Still, it's got some versatility.
(3/3) Elegance - Elegant.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - While red has had a couple of examples of haste/anti-haste dualism (Ashling's Prerogative, Urabrask the Hidden), preventing creatures from untapping outright has been out of pie for a very long time. Rare is appropriate, at least.
(3/3) Balance - Cards with defender usually require a whole archetype to support, but this does enough on its own that I think it's fine. Could maybe even be pushed a little harder.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - While anomalous in red, this effect isn't unheard of, though not highly printed. The added punishment that can be invoked is a nice twist though.
(1.5/3) Flavor - My best grasp at Smoke's flavor is that there's not enough air for everyone to recover. It's not terribly satisfying. The card is a barrier, and going in further on punishing the creatures that can't "breathe" is nice.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - The proper order of costs is "R, T, Sacrifice Smoke Barrier"
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Indeed
(2/2) Subchallenges - It's monocolor and not an enchantment

Total: 19.5/25
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - I think Timmy and Johnny can both appreciate this, though Johnny more so. Spike is curious if this isn't just win more considering the hoops they'll have to jump through to get value.
(2/3) Elegance - There are an awful lot of conditions on the second ability.

Development
(3/3) Viability - The second ability is potentially bendy in white thanks to Tribal, but that's more the fault of the Tribal type. Rare is appropriate.
(2.5/3) Balance - This can potentially churn out a lot of value, but it requires a board state. This can provide that to an extent, at least. There are some decent Rebels and plenty of good changeling Shapeshifters that this might be playable, but it might have too many weaknesses for its own good.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - While based off the original Rebel mechanic, it is quite functionally different. The token bonus isn't unheard of, but it's not terribly common on an enchantment.
(3/3) Flavor - So the toten-vec was Lin-Sivvi's signature weapon? All things considered, I could certainly see a cult forming around her deeds, and I think this captures that idea fairly well.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - There exists but one example (Clowning Around) of "equal to or less than" over "less than or equal to", and quite frankly I'm not sure why that particular card is different. I do believe the latter would be correct here, however.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Indeed.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Monocolored, and not a creature

Total: 22/25
haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - This is purely a Johnny card, with Spike merely watching to see if Johnny breaks it.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A bit wordy, but not too bad otherwise.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - As far as an effect to grant to other creatures, this is probably more of a break than a bend in red. Uncommon is probably correct. I do think an effect like this would likely be printed to take the Aura along with it just to be less burdensome, but it would need to cost more to compensate.
(2.5/3) Balance - It does quite desperately want to be broken. Having to pay to get it back every time or lose it is probably sufficient to keep it in check, without some specific EtB's. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Only Norin himself is anything like this. The other triggered ability is reminiscent of the Recover ability. I'd say this is sufficiently unique.
(3/3) Flavor - Sure. Norin in flavor text seems to freely give his thoughts about things. Not quite mentorship, but close enough. Perhaps "Advice of the Wary" would be more appropriate, but this is fine.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Indeed
(2/2) Subchallenges - Monocolored and not a creature.

Total: 21/25
Bold advance
Show
Hide
void_nothing - 22
bravelion83 - 21.5
haywire - 21
Rithaniel - 20.5

Komandon - 19.5

Raptorchan
Vidauna's Hand

Done. Next round soon.
Crits
Show
Hide
StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
Design
(2,5/3) Appeal - Huge ramp and monstrous payoff make this a premium Timmy card, even Spike can be tempted by it. Johnny, maybe.
(2,5/3) Elegance - This card is very simple and elegant, but I would rather add Siege reminder text, it has room for it.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Yup, this is how mythic monogreen Elf card looks like, indeed, no problems.
(2/3) Balance - it can be a limited bomb, it produces blockers, ramps and anthems with protection and evasion, but it doesn't have an immediate impact on board, which is a big deal for 5 mana mythic. As a card for Modern constructed, it is probably too slow to present a big threat, but maybe Elf decks with their unlimited access to mana can work it out.

Creativity
(2,5/3) Uniqueness - As is, it's something that wasn't done before exactly, but producing creatures by taking damage is not something totally unheard of. But it's a bunch of classic effects blended together to create something new, which is appreciated.
(3/3) Flavor - It's a great idea to depict a battle from the past on a Battle card in Modern Horizons set. This battle included Phyrexians, so this just makes it even nicer callback to the first bunch of Battles in the game that was introduced in MOM.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - I don't see any issues here.
(1/2) Main Challenge (*) - And here comes a problem, you seem to be the first player in my bracket who didn't include the name of the card you were referencing, although it was in clarifications. You make me to assume it was Eladamri, lord of Leaves, but what if you, theoretically, mean Llanowar Elves? However, both are fine and even fit the second subchallenge, but pay more attention to clarifications.
(2/2) Subchallenges - It's a monocolored card on both sides and Vattle type definitely isn't shared with whatever creature card you are referencing (lol).

Total: 21,5/25
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Design
(1,5/3) Appeal - Timmy, Johnny and Spike may be only mildly interested, but the problem is that this card has better alternatives and doesn't do anything on its own, unlike said alternatives.
(3/3) Elegance - This is as simple and elegant as it can get. "Merfolk creatures" would probably read better than just "Merfolk", but it's not unprecedented even on recently printed cards.

Development
(3/3) Viability - This is a classic lord effect in appropriate colors and rarity.
(2/3) Balance - this is some sort of reverse magus, a noncreature permanent with the same abilities as corresponding creature, less vulnerable to removal because it's not a creature, yet unable to attack and block because it's, well, not a creature. The only thing stopping me from giving this more points is the fact that this doesn't benefit from other copies of this permanent, unlike, you know, other Merfolk lords that are creatures. Basically, I have concerns that Merfolk decks would want this over another creature Merfolk lord. See Appeal.

Creativity
(1,5/3) Uniqueness - Although wasn't done before as an enchantment, this very effect was printed on two cards besides Lord of Atlantis, one as another lord, one as an activated ability of a creature. And this doesn't have any neat twist to receive more points for uniqueness.
(3/3) Flavor - Sigil is an appropriate name for an enchantment and flavor text definetely references classic Lord of Atlantis text.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - All good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Met.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both met.

Total: 21/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - This seems like mostly better version of Aether Vial, so all three sorts of players would like to lay their hands on it.
(3/3) Elegance - This is a clear version of Aether Vial slightly tuned to be a creature, no problems here.

Development
(2,5/3) Viability - It serves as quasi mana fixing/producing creature that presents a threat while growing and spamming other creatures. You made it a rare, but I would rather say it's a borderline mythic.
(2,5/3) Balance - Let's see, it's like a Magus of Vial: a creature that has the same effect as notorious artifact, also more vulnerable to removal, but also presents a threat as attacker/blocker and benefits not only from the same things artifact does, such as proliferate, counters doubling and so on, but also from various creature buffs, not just counters, but also power doubles, and all sorts of Giant Growth effects. So basically, it does its job mostly better than original Aether Vial can do. In conclusion, I can assume this card can be dangerously close to be banned or restricted in Modern. Definitely pushed.

Creativity
(2,5/3) Uniqueness - Growing and putting creatures from the hand to the battlefield isn't something new, but the combination of abilities mimicking Aether Vial with a creature-adjustment is fine.
(2,5/3) Flavor - I am not certain "Vile" is the proper term, although I see what you did there to make your reference more recognizable.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - All good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Satisfied.

Total: 23/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Timmy may try to do something with Bird tribal and may be excited to play with OG dual lands, but Spike and Johnny would say it's a dead card. See Balance section.
(2,5/3) Elegance - Everything is fine except for the fact that noncreature land tokens weren't printed yet due to reasons. MaRo said multiple times that token lands are bad or at least problematic because people tend to shuffle them into their library, and although I like to think about people better than they deserve, I do think he may have a point, sometimes I catch myself casually shuffling my normal-sized commander card into my deck, so man may be right, token lands is yet not the most elegant thing a card designer can come up with.

Development
(3/3) Viability - It's a ramp spell and Green has rights to ramp for whatever colors it wants. Rarity is appropriate, because I don't think such specific card must be printed at any other rarity.
(1/3) Balance - With all honesty, I think it's a card with an extremely low baseline. Although an opportunity to create an actual Tropical Island that enters untapped which is nice, and that's a stronger effect than most usual ramp spells, it's just a dead card on its own. Sure, you may have played Birds of Paradise on turn 1 and it makes it less dead, but still. How much setup you need to make this card good? Two birds? Three? Also I think it would be an extremely frustrating to open this as your rare in MH booster, especially at Limited. Although there always can be a minor Bird limited theme or maybe even Changeling theme like in MH1, but that's another story. And last but not least. Do we know what makes OG duals so good? It's not a secret, it's the fact that they unconditionally enter tapped. So playing OG dual on turn 1 can be a big deal, but on later turns it becomes slightly worse - there are already dual cards that can enter untapped on turn 3 and later, and they're much less valuable.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - I simply can't say that creating noncreature land tokens isn't something unique.
(3/3) Flavor - Such shame we can't have artwork for our design here, I almost can see connections to original Birds of Paradise art even though it depicts Volcanic Island on the background (lol). No problems here.
Polish
(2,5/3) Quality - Fairly certain that the name of the person you quoted in the flavor text must have been italicized, because it's a personal name, not name of the book, story, event or other inanimate object. I also wanted to say that you must specify that land token is colorless, but seems like it's not necessary, few unofficial test cards from Mystery boosters which have their Oracle test updated say it's fine to just create a land token without specifying its color.
(1/2) Main Challenge (*) - And here comes a problem, you seem to be the second player in my bracket who didn't include the name of the card you were referencing, although it was in clarifications. You make me to assume it was Birds of Paradise, but what if you, theoretically, mean Tropical Island? However, both are fine and even fit the second subchallenge, but pay more attention to clarifications.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both met, it's a monocolored card and not a land or creature.

Total: 19/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy sees a card that can be dangerously powerful, Johnny may find a way to use it with other cards, Spike may be mildly interested but also turned off by the lack of protection and immediate impact on board, so for them it's rather nay than yay.
(2,5/3) Elegance - Quite wordy, bit it's understandable what the card does.

Development
(3/3) Viability - All abilities make sense, rarity too because it's a bomb but not a bomb so big so it would deserve Mythic.
(2,5/3) Balance - It's a card that can be immensely powerful in right circumstances and can present a BIG headache for an opponent, yet again it lacks any way to protect itself, dies to removal and its still just a creature with no immediate ETB value. However, it has great means to do things, it can kill, can boardwipe in right circumstances, can gain you life, and, many players can sleep over this - it can deal big damage to an opponent's face because previously damaged opponent is also a valid target!

Creativity
(2,5/3) Uniqueness - There are cards that do damage, kill damaged targets and so on, but the combination is very fresh and distributing damage between damaged targets is certainly new.
(2,5/3) Flavor - the only thing I can complain about is "Spiritcraft", it sure refers magecraft and metalcraft but feels rather uninspired - and after all I think it's not really needed on already wordy card. Other than that, great Kamigawa flavor, nice callback to old useless card and nice way to utilize extra legendary cards which fits Kamigawa flavor too.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - See no problems here.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Satisfied.

Total: 22/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
slimytrout - 23
kwanyeegor-ii - 22
StonerOfKruphix - 21,5
Venedrex - 21