NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 4 years ago

2/1 is a nice P/T. it feels good. works well at 1, 2, and 3 CMC.

p/t and cmc combos can elevate each other of course. A 2/2 for 3 doesn't have the same impact as a bear.

anyway, judging tonight. maybe late. last chance.
MEG

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

There is nothing in the world like a 2/1 for W with weak/highly situational upside. It is my favorite.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

Airborne Invader 2U
Creature - Bird Mutant (C)
Flying
-------------
Mutagen (You can put this card in your Mutagen deck before the game begins.)
Mutated creature gets +2/+2 and has "1U: This creature gains flying until end of turn."
2/2

(Mutagens, like DFCs or contraptions, are guaranteed to show up once or twice in each pack. They'd also have a Adventure-esque card layout and frame to better indicate their distinctiveness from normal cards.)

Colossal Freakshow 4GG
Creature - Dinosaur Mutant (C)
Mutate 3G (3G: Exile the top card of your Mutagen deck face up mutating this card.)
Colossal Freakshow has trample as long as its mutated.
6/6

Hungry Parasite 1B
Creature - Insect Mutant (U)
Sacrifice a creature: Hungry Parasite gains indestructible until end of turn.
-------------
Mutagen (You can put this card in your Mutagen deck before the game begins.)
Mutated creature gets +1/+1 and has indestructible and "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a creature."
1/1

Splitting Hellion 2RR
Creature - Hellion Mutant (R)
Mutate 3RR ( 3RR: Exile the top card of your Mutagen deck face up mutating this card.)
Whenever you exile a Mutagen mutating Splitting Hellion, create a token that's a copy of Splitting Hellion. The token gains haste and copies all Mutagens mutating Splitting Hellion. Sacrifice the token at the beginning of the next end step.
4/3

IIW: Roll a D20. Design a card based on the number you roll.
Last edited by Stapler 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
"Image"

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 4 years ago

Behemoth Aspirant 4GG
Creature - Beast (U)
Mutate - Flying (You may sacrifice a creature with flying as this creature enters the battlefield. If you do, it enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the sacrificed creature's power and has flying.)
Mutate - Trample
5/3

IIW: death AND taxes

Megiddo
MEG

void_nothing wrote: There is nothing in the world like a 2/1 for W with weak/highly situational upside. It is my favorite.
what about.... eight of them?

judging early AM. dead.
MEG

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 4 years ago

3 mana 2/1s with an ETB are super clean

Megiddo
MEG

or i'll just die
MEG

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

The void is Judge Game ☆ Feyd Genuinely Will Not Stop Me From Infracting You for Entering Cards I Don't Like
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

rip meg

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 4 years ago

Shaper of Currents 4UU
Creature — Whale (U)
Whenever Shaper of Currents attacks, another target attacking creature can't be blocked this turn.
Mutate 1UUU (At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 1UUU. If you do, sacrifice this creature and search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost 6 and put it onto the battlefield.)
4/6

IIW: The Saga of Fblthp
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 4 years ago

Wingscorpio 2U
Creature - Insect
(Gene) Flying
When Wingscorpio enters the battlefield, mutate it. (Draw a card, then exile a card from your hand. This creature has its gene abilities.)
Swamp cards you exile gain (Gene) Deathtouch.
2/2

Megiddo
MEG

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Fledging Megaloth RGW
Creature — Beast
As Fledging Megaloth enters the battlefield, it mutates. (It randomly gains an ability from its mutate list that it hasn't already gained this way.)
2G: If Fledging Megaloth isn't a Giant, put three +1/+1 counters on it, it becomes a Giant Beast, and it mutates.
3GG: If Fledging Megaloth isn't an Elder, put three +1/+1 counters on it, it becomes an Elder Giant Beast, and it mutates.
~~~
MUTATE: Vigilance, trample, menace
3/3

IIW: Spells that change the target(s) of something on the stack
This is fun, though I'm not sure how you would keep track of it in a paper game. Digital TCGs are waiting for your call.
Now that I look at it again, this reminds me of FIGURE OF DESTINY, except that the numbers aren't as exciting. From an aesthetic standpoint I'd look for either BIGGER activation costs or, possibly, to swap the multicolored mana into the activation costs vs the mana cost.
mellifluoresce wrote:
4 years ago
Ivyskin Alpha 2GG
Creature - Plant Wolf (U)
Mutate (Whenever a creature that doesn't share a creature type with this creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature and it gains that creature's types.)
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on Ivyskin Alpha, you may have it fight target creature you don't control.
2/3

IIW: Horror lords
It gains the creature's types? Does that count Artifact/Enchantment/Land? I suppose this is reminder text.
I'm boggled a bit by this being free repeatable fight at uncommon, though. As a keyword this seems like it might get a bit out of hand depending on how you build your deck... BUT, encouraging diversity in creature types isn't bad.
Also, lol changeling. You can always evolve, but that'll be the last time ever.
Cythare wrote:
4 years ago
Mutate: Pay a card's mutate cost and exile a creature card from your hand. Put a +1/+1 counter on the creature, and it gets any additional effects under the "Mutation" part of the exiled card's text (if applicable). You can mutate the same creature multiple times, but if a card cares about "mutated" creatures, it doesn't matter how many times a creature has mutated, only whether or not it has.

Note that I tried to make this an activated ability because the wording of Surgeon Commander implied that it's an action the player takes instead of something a creature does.

First-Flight Renegade 3WW
Creature - Archon (R)
Flying
Creatures your opponents control can't attack you unless they pay X for each of those creatures, where X is the number of mutated creatures you control.
Mutate 2W
-----
Mutation: +1/+1 and Flying
3/4

IIW: An unusual anthem
as you may have seen I am skeptical of your reasoning that you would combine [card subtype], [card subtype], and [activated ability] as a batch (before anybody comments, 1, this wasn't actually a batch as the card didn't use a special word, and 2, the only existing batch does combine a supertype, a type, and a subtype, but these are all visually distinct card frames and can function exactly the same in practice. here, an activated ability is very different in multiple ways from the action of putting a card onto another card, which is what enchanting and augmenting involve)
I wouldn't have commented this (see above where I didn't) except that you explicitly stated your reasoning, and I dislike your conclusion. it doesn't make sense to me.

For what it's worth your activated ability does put cards on cards, but it's still an activated ability and it doesn't actually use or care about those cards in any way other than as a cost.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
4 years ago
Some creatures in Ikoria mutate under certain circumstances. When they do, they gain additional abilities and colours in a special mutation section on their card, and their power and toughness changes to their mutated power and toughness. A creature can only be mutated once.

Hitchclaw Wolf 1G
Creature - Wolf (C)
1R Hitchclaw Wolf mutates.
2/2
----
(R) First strike
2/2

Arcane Acteryx 1U
Creature - Bird (U)
Flying
At the beginining of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library. If it's an instant or sorcery, Arcane Acteryx mutates.
1/2
----
3/2

Blazing Glaivetail 2RR
Creature - Dinosaur (R)
When you control five or more Swamps, Blazing Glaivetail mutates.
Whenever Blazing Glavetail attacks, it deals 1 damage to target creature.
4/3
----
(B) Deathtouch
6/3

Nergis, the Consumer 1BBB
Legendary Creature - Demon (M)
Flying
Whenever a creature dealt damage by Nergis, the Consumer this turn dies, exile it and Nergis mutates.
4/4
---
Trample, lifelink
Nergis, the Consumer has all activated abilities of creatures exiled by it.
6/6

IIW: equipment made from behemoths on ikoria
I feel like none of these are truly BEHEMOTH but I do see a dinosaur in there so I'll give you that. I'm intrigued by gaining additional colors. Why do this? It doesn't seem to have any utility in a vacuum, but perhaps ikoria has some multicolored theme? it's not as if we were just in a heavily multicolor set anytime recently. certainly not three in a row. One note for mechanics like this: good for commons to have similar triggers to make it easier to understand what cards on the battlefield can do when you're facing them down. Save the wacky stuff for higher rarities (you did this, so i'm just reinforcing that).
mellifluoresce wrote:
4 years ago
CHUNGUSAUR 1GG
Creature - Dinosaur (R)
Whenever CHUNGUSAUR is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Mutate X - XUG (Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card with converted mana cost X or less. If you do, exile that card and this creature becomes a copy of it except it has this ability. Put all other cards revealed this way on the bottom of your library in a random order. Activate only as a sorcery.)
3/3

IIW: Design legendary characters from the First Iroan Games.
BIG CHUNGUS
There's no way this is going to be a keyword ability lol
4 years ago
Territorial Fiend GG
Creature — Wolf Beast (C)
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, mutate. (Choose a mutation. ~ gains its abilities.)
[Mutation] ~ gets +2/-1.
[Mutation] ~ gets -1/+2.
2/2

Seashell Ancient 2U
Creature — Turtle Beast (U)
Whenever the third instant or sorcery spell is cast in a turn, mutate. (Choose a mutation. ~ gains its abilities.)
[Mutation] ~ has prowess.
[Mutation] ~ has hexproof.
2/3

Terror of Mount Rithk 2BB
Creature — Bat Beast (R)
Flying
1B, Sacrifice two other creatures: Put a +1/+1 counter on ~, then mutate. (Choose a mutation. ~ gains its abilities.)
[Mutation] Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies or is exiled, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain life equal to the life lost this way.
[Mutation] At the beginning of your upkeep, return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield. If that creature would die, exile it instead.
3/3

IIW: Free round. Make a card you like!
Hmm.
Similar to spacemonaut and NC's entries, so look back to those comments.
Togs wrote:
4 years ago
Sky Snapper 2U
Creature - Bird Turtle
Flying
Whenever another creature you control mutates, you may swap ~'s power and toughness until end of turn.
1/3

IIW: Colored equipment that would have fit in a previous set
cheater!
Juancu wrote:
4 years ago
Experiment Six 4GG
Creature - Mutant (R)
Whenever Experiment Six attacks, mutate it (choose at random: red, blue, or black. If already chosen, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature. Otherwise, it gains that color and ability.)
Red - Trample, Reach
Blue - Hexproof, Vigilance
Black - Deathtouch, Lifelink
6/6

Blue
Color Reminder
(Use this reminder on a creature to mark it as blue.)

IIW: Glasses or magnifiers
is it six?
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Slavering Atavism 1G
Enchantment (R)
Vanishing 2
Beasts, Giants, and Mutants you control get +2/+0 and have haste.

IIW: Something in threes or triple
cheater! (1)
haywire wrote:
4 years ago
Gigorax, Oceanic Protector 5UU
Legendary Creature- Whale {M}
Whenever an opponent casts a creature spell, mutate Gigorax. If that spell is red or green, counter it.(If it isn't a Mutant, it becomes a Mutant in addition to its other types.)
When Gigorax mutates, choose 1:
-Gigorax gains hexproof. Scry 3, then draw 3 cards.
-Gigorax becomes white in addition to its other colors and gains lifelink, vigilance and "Creatures your opponents control enter the battlefield tapped."
-Gigorax becomes black in addition to its other colors and gains protection from converted mana cost 6 or greater. Target opponent discards 2 cards.
5/7

IIW: Non-offensive equipment

Side note: Is it weird to have favorite P/Ts? Like, I really enjoy 1/2, 2/3, and 5/7 for no real reason.
FINALLY a real behemoth
a real big chunker
a massive piece of cardboard
they have to print it on an oversized card it's so big

Stapler (multiquote failed)
This is very intriguing and different*. You can either... just play the creature OR put it in a special deck for later use? I like this. Would you have to have special rules to differentiate constructed and limited?*
*exactly the same as contraptions

jamblock
An actual mechanic without memory issues (like Monstrosity, the +1/+1 counters serve as a clear indicator of the card's state), a single trigger (this is really just Devour again, but with a twist), an—
oh wait. you put two of these on the same card. I take it all back.

sojourner dusk
I do like this actually, but it feels... off, maybe? I'm inferring that you always mutate a creature of N CMC into another creature of N CMC, which is a nice balancing touch, but then I wonder how your deck works if you're running several 6 CMC creatures that you want to flip into each other.

---

Interesting trends: randomness! I suppose the idea of MUTATION inspires some feelings of unknowable outcomes, which is neat.

I'm going to go with STAPLER for a potentially interesting variant on the Contraption deck. If nothing else, it dared to be bold.

NEXT: Roll a D20. Design a card based on the number you roll.

... obviously, even the next challenge ends up involving randomness!
MEG

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

For the challenge, as long as the card mechanically or flavourfully involves your number at least once, you're good. The card doesn't have to be entirely based on the number, I just clearly need to see how you implemented it.
"Image"

Megiddo
MEG

is there a built in dice roller
MEG

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

I don't remember us having autodice but I'm asking Feyd

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Personally I'll just do this

Claiming 3 for later then

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

I've been away for a weekend travelling. I rolled a 16 before the weekend and it's been kind of tough figuring out a design that really uses it and is fun+good+viable+balanced. Sixteen's just such a big number in MTG, and it's not a thematically resonant number like 13 or a rounded number like 20.

I think this is the closest I've come:

Word of Replication XUUU
Sorcery
Create X tokens that are a copy of target creature. If X is 8 or greater, instead create two times X tokens that are a copy of target creature.

At its threshold of X=8 (CMC 11), it creates 16 tokens. This thing's got pretty nuts power levels at game-ending CMCs, but I think it's too powerful even for those CMCs. It's also better than Rite of Replication and I'm not comfortable with that. But then, XXUU means at CMC=10 this thing's just creating four tokens and I can't find a way to work sixteen into it in within any CMC relevant to gameplay.

There's also this one:

The First Warren 4RRRR
Enchantment — Saga
I — Create two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens.
II — Create four 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens.
III — Create eight 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens.
IV — Create sixteen 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens. Creatures you control gain haste and attack this turn if able.

This puts down 30 tokens total. Maybe it will inspire a mono-red control deck??? Somehow I feel it'll be played in mostly-blue decks waiting for this as a potential wincon though.

IIW: Cards that change the target(s) of something on the stack.

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Post by mellifluoresce » 4 years ago

Google has a dice roller
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Megiddo
MEG

I know you have no way or reason to believe me but google dice roller gave me a 20 first try.

First-Blood Vanguard R
Creature - Goblin Warrior {R}
Haste
As long as an opponent has 20 or more life, First-Blood Vanguard gets +2/+0 and has trample.
1/1

IIW: insects
MEG

haywire

Post by haywire » 4 years ago

14... the third worst number I could've gotten. (19 and 17 would be worse imo since they're prime and big, but everything else higher (15,16,18,20) divides nicely down to small numbers (yes, I did put a parenthetical in a parenthetical)).

Rage of the Forest
Sorcery
This spell can't be countered.
Create a 2/2 green Bear creature token, a 3/3 green Boar creature token, a 4/4 green Beast creature token, and a 5/5 green Dinosaur creature token. Then, creatures you control gain vigilance and haste until end of turn. Damage can't be prevented this turn.

(Puts a total of 14 power on the board)

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Pssh 14 isn't so bad

EDIT: Okay there's also Elemental Appeal

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 4 years ago

Rolled a 9

Blessing of the Nine Muses 4GWU
Sorcery (M)
Draw three cards, then put any number of nonland permanents with total converted mana cost 9 or less from your hand onto the battlefield. Exile Blessing on the Nine Muses.

IIW: A nonartifact creature with a usually-artifact creature type

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Three Heirlooms 3WW
Sorcery (R)
You may put an Aura card, an Equipment card, and a Fortification card from your hand onto the battlefield.
Reinforce 3 - 1W, Sacrifice an artifact or enchantment.
Cho-Thakran's faith in Ramos would never bend. His axe Revengetaker would never dull. His home in Rushwood would never give him up.

IIW: Bandar (i.e. Cat Monkeys from Kaladesh)

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 4 years ago

By Three They Come 9
Sorcery (M)
Search your library for a card with converted mana cost 10, a card with converted mana cost 11 and a card with converted mana cost 12. Exile them, then shuffle your library. You may play those cards as long as they're exiled, and they cost 6 less to cast.

Unfortunate that Emrakul doesn't cost 12, but you can't win them all.

IIW: a kraken and/or a kraken cult.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

I know there are only six entries, but

four days is a long time in Club Flamingo

Judge?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”