void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 11 months ago

CCL June Top 5

"Exotic Weaponry"

Demonmail Hauberk, taken from EchoMtG, by Jason Felix Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's The Other Evergreens Month here at the CCL. This month will focus on the evergreen keywords and keyword actions used in every set other than ones directly related to creature combat.

Challenge
Design an Equipment card with an equip ability that includes a nonmana cost.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • The equip cost can have mana in it, as long as it has a nonmana component also.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@Subject16
@netn10
@Henlock
@kwanyeegor-ii
@MonoRedMage
Your submissions are due Saturday, July 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (June 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (June 15th-21st)
  • Top 5 — Open to top 5 finishers (July 4th-8th)
  • Top 5 Critiques (Due July 10th)
  • Final (July, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 11 months ago

Merrow Jade-Plate
Artifact - Equipment (Rare)
Whenever equipped creature becomes untapped, put a +1/+1 counter or a ward 1 counter on it. If it's a Merfolk, put both.
Equip - Untap two tapped creatures you control. Activate this ability only once each turn.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 11 months ago

Mindcutter Scalpel 2
Artifact - Equipment (Rare)
Equipped creature gets +2/+1 and has "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw a card."
Equip - Discard two cards.
Going past the flesh right to the ideas.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Just a reminder to @Subject16 @Henlock and @MonoRedMage - please get your entries in!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 11 months ago

Fabricator's Blade 3
Artifact — Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +2/+0.
Imprint — Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, choose an artifact card exiled with Fabricator's Blade. Create a token that's a copy of that artifact.
Equip— Exile another artifact you control.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 11 months ago

Jordskakar, the Tremor Sledge 3R
Legendary Artifact - Equipment {R}
Equipped creature gets +5/+0.
Whenever equipped creature attacks, it deals damage equal to half its power, rounded down, to the permanent or player it's attacking.
Equip - Sacrifice three lands.
Toralf wields more than one hammer.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

One more reminder for @Henlock.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 11 months ago

Cravesius' Stylus 2
Artifact - Equipment (r)
Whenever equipped creature attacks, it gets +1/+1 for each card in defending player's hand.
Whenever equipped creature blocks, it gets +1/+1 for each card in your hand.
Equip Advisor 2, Draw a card.
Equip 2, Discard a card.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

And that will be all for the round! Please critique each other contestant and provide a top 3 by 23:59 Eastern US time on July 14th.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

@Subject16
@netn10
@Henlock
@kwanyeegor-ii
@MonoRedMage

Bumping for critiques!

netn10

Post by netn10 » 11 months ago

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
This card presents a nice tension between "cash out cards now" and "get paid later," which I find appealing. It could be a nice addition to an aggressive-madness deck. The rarity, name, and flavor text are all excellent.
Subject16
Show
Hide
This card has even more tension between "pay now" and "reward later." Judging by Prototype Portal, this card is either a do-nothing or a game-ending combo. An equipment that can grant extra combat when it enters might be fun with this, but I'm not sure if it exists yet. The name is generic but acceptable.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
The name is very good, and the flavor text is excellent as well. The equip cost is steep, but the reward is worth it. The effect is quite unique, and it synergizes wonderfully with Toralf itself.
Henlock
Show
Hide
By far, this is the most unique card of the batch. Stylus as an equipment is ingenious, and the two equip costs that allow drawing and discarding is an ability never seen before. The symmetry of it all is simply lovely.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: Henlock
2nd: MonoRedMage
3rd: kwanyeegor-ii

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 11 months ago

t3
Show
Hide
1 netn10
2 henlock
3 subject16
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 11 months ago

1 - Subject16
2 - Henlock
3 - netn10

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Quick reminder to @Subject16 and @Henlock - if you don't have time to critique, please just post a T3!

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 11 months ago

Netn10- Merfolks have bled.into white and green, so the color.combination makes sense. Merfolks are also good at spitting bodies, so the equip cost should be attainable as long as your table is not controlled and ncounterable untaps can be very, very variable. I am not sure if you meant to be able to untap a creature already equipped with it to reap the trigger and move the it onto someone else. I think this is more complex than it looks.

Kwanyegor- Free discard outlets can be very valuable and I think this balances it well by requiring to discard two cards and giving you the chance to.recover one. The looting aspect can be also.quite valuable. Not for every deck but with the potential of finding some home.

Subject16: I like how this makes the exiled artifact matter as.opposes to just get attached by saccing a random treasure or Clue. This is a copy maker disguised as an equipment, the equipment part is rather weak but this is probably fine since giving evasion of better stats might actually make this too good.

Monoredmage: When I first read this I thought the equip cost was scandalous. It is, to be honest, but I think that in the monored pattern this may actually make sense. Lands beyond the third are often redundant and this packs a punch of at leat 9 damage if unchecked. Which should mean game. If blocked, it might help getting the opponent into bolt's reach, if removed, you're very likely screwed. I am not sure this is good, but I am sure this is a very all in, exciting play.

1. Monoredmage
2. Netn10
3. Subject16

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

One more reminder for @Subject16 - Looking to start the final round tonight.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 11 months ago

Just a top 3 for speed's sake, but good designs all around!

1: MonoRedMage
2: Henlock
3: netn10

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

And our three finalists are:

Henlock
netn10
MonoRedMage

Final round to come soon!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”