Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 11 months ago

CCL July Signups/Round 2

"Paternal Affection"

Teferi, Timebender, taken from Pinterest, by Zack Stella and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Mystery Theme Month here at the CCL! This month, the challenges will share some sort of association, which anyone is welcome to guess at any time - but it will only be revealed after the finals.

Challenge
Design a legendary creature or planeswalker card representing the father of any existing Magic character.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • If the character is not one who exists and is the father of another named character (such as Kiran Nalaar being Chandra's father, for example), please make sure it's clear within your card's name and/or flavor text which existing character they reference.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Tuesday, July 18th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (July 3rd-10th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (July 11th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due July 20th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (July 21st-24th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due July 26th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (July 27th-30th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due August 1st)
  • Final (August, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

AnotherAlias
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by AnotherAlias » 11 months ago

Embrose Lu
Legendary Creature - Human Warlock - Rare
Whenever you would lose life, if it's your turn, target opponent takes that much damage instead.
, Pay 3 life: Put a +1/+1 counter on Embrose Lu.
"My approving of you, Killian, is fleeting. Don't waste it."
2/4

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 11 months ago

Raklan, Taskmage of Tavelia 2WG
Legendary Creature - Human Druid Spellshaper
Plants, Saprolings, and Treefolk have vigilance and enter the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter.
G, Discard a land card: create a 0/1 green plant token creature. If the discarded land was a forest, proliferate.
2/2
Both the proudest and saddest day of is life was when on his son, later know as the Wildspeaker, tenth birthday used mage to make his first seed sprout. Then soon after the pain of making his son flee from being conscripted by the sheriff of Lord Faldus.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 11 months ago

Kiran, Returned to the Throne
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (Rare)
Haste
, Discard Kiran, Returned to the Throne: Create two 1/1 colorless Thopter creature tokens with flying.
At the beginning of your end step, you may sacrifice two Thopters: If you do, return Kiran, Returned to the Throne from your graveyard to the battlefield.
5/4

- Card references Kiran Nalaar.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Just a reminder that anyone is free to enter this round, but entries are due in less than a day and a half!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10

Post by netn10 » 11 months ago

Kenrith, King Without Crown 4G
Legendary Creature — Human Noble (Mythic)
Kenrith enters the battlefield with a token copy of Kenrith's Transformation attached to it.
Wild animals you control have indestructible and hexproof. (Wild animals are creatures that have exactly one of these types: Beasts, Bears, Birds, Boars, Cats, Dogs, Frogs, Foxes, Rabbits, Turtles and Wolves.)
"Once under a mischief curse, a kind ruler's heart was enlightened while living among the wildfolk, revealing a greater purpose to govern beyond the borders of his narrow kingdom."
—Beyond the Great Henge
5/5

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 11 months ago

Hjalm, Husband to Lovisa 2RR
Legendary Creature - Human Noble {R}
Barbarian, Berserker, and Warrior spells you cast cost 2 less to cast.
Barbarian, Berserker, and Warrior creatures you control have double strike.
"Your lineage is twice mighty, young Lothar. Fight this day and show your mother why I have such faith in you."
3/2

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

About 7 hours remain to enter this round, and anyone's free to try!

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 11 months ago

Erik, Balduvian Leader RGW
Legendary Creature — Human Scout (R)
Whenever a Scout you control enters or leaves the battlefield, scry 1.
At the beginning of your end step, exile the top card of your library. During any turn a Scout you control entered the battlefield, attacked, or died, you may cast that spell.
"Saffi, Hans, keep watch. Danger lies everywhere."
3/4

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

And the round is closed! Please critique and provide a top 3 for all other contestants.

Due to this month's participation level, we'll be cutting directly to a top 4 after this round.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 11 months ago

Top 3 -

1 - Subject16
2 - AnotherAlias
3 - netn10

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Just a reminder that if you entered this round, please critique! Everyone has until 23:59 tomorrow (Saturday the 22nd) to get crits and/or T3 in.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 11 months ago

Another Alias: I believe the first ability needs to begin with an "if," as its a replacement effect. Otherwise, the card is pretty cool.

Komandon: Proliferate is cool. The counters plant a future for power.

netn10: Weird card with some potential rules and issues related to understand at foot. Kenrith is quite an interesting design with all the creature types named though.

MonoRedMage: Double strike with the creatures type attached is a fun attachment.

Subject16: I like that this encourages attacking with a lesser known supporting creature type.

Top 3:
3rd place: MonoRedMage
2nd place: Subject16
1st place: Komandon.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 11 months ago

AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
One of the more intriguing characters from my absolute favorite set Strixhaven. The flavor text is absolutely in character and the abilities embodies well Silverquill (and a fun synergy with Crushing Disappointment!)
Komandon
Show
Hide
I'm a sucker for bundling weird creature types together, and a commander for the "Plants, Saprolings, and Treefolk" enthusiasts certainly fits the bill. This card is a lot to take in, and it's not really a "Spellshaper", but it can provide some unique deck building challenges.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Kiran doesn't strike me as a 5/4 kind of guy. I love "pseudo cycling" abilities but this is a 5/4 for RR, basically. The "phoenix" ability tied to sacrificing Thopters is certainly unique.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Obvious synergy with Lovisa. The abilities of this card encourage aggressiveness in Commander which I always like.
Subject16
Show
Hide
It works with Saffi and Hans, it's a Scout tribal card, it's extremely flavorful. This card just feels like the complete package.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: Subject16
2nd: AnotherAlias
3rd: Komandon

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 10 months ago

Komandon: Seems good. Flavor text is, uh, a little confusing. If only this included Fungus, Thallids would be having a field day.

marioguy3: It seems like a cool card. I think I see what it's going for.

netn10: I apologise if I'm wrong, but doesn't it having Kenrith's Transformation attached to it just make it a 5CMC 3/3 with an etb to draw a card?

MonoRedMage: Cool card. I like it. Am way too tired to be rating things.

Subject16: Good Scout synergy. Very fair and cool card.

Top 3:
3rd: Komandon
2nd: MonoRedMage
1st: Subject16

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 10 months ago

AnotherAlias Honestly seems a bit broken due to its second ability has no drawback but instead a bonus for doing it on your turn. Maybe it had the stimulation.

marioguy3. I like this. Seems familiar. Good synergy.

Netn10 I like the zoo triple. Wish WotC would do cards like this. Except I believe the rule of the aura would neutralize his ability. But thinking more about it if that is on purpose that is a very clever drawback you as a player are to work around. 👍

MonoRedMage I like multi type tribal. My criticism is though warriors fit well due to how common warriors are it seems to to good a deal for his cost.

Subject16 I like the synergy and using a tribe that is under used.

1st: Netn10
2nd: Subject16
3rd: Marioguy3

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

And due to a tie for 4th place, our top 5 contestants are as follows:

Subject16
Komandon
marioguy3
netn10
AnotherAlias

Next round to come soon!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”