The DCC - July 17th, 2023

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 11 months ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

DCC Scoreboard

void_nothing 43 (+5)
Raptorchan 42 (+2)
bravelion83 39 (+2)
RattingRots 37 (+2)
Riria 35 (+1)
Rithaniel 32 (+5)
netn10 29 (+1)
Komandon 17
AnotherAlias 9 (+3)
marioguy3 6 (+1)

Rithaniel's probation: 6 days left.

Riria wrote:
11 months ago
Votes: Rithaniel, void_nothing

Temporal Manomaly UR
Enchantment (U)
Whenever an instant or sorcery spell without targets is cast from a player's hand, exile it. At the beginning of the next end step, that card's owner may cast it from exile without paying its mana cost.
I'll get back to you on that.
Raptorchan wrote:
11 months ago
Votes: Marioguy3, void_nothing

Call the Bombers 2rw
Sorcery (R)
Convoke (Your creatures can help cast this spell. Each creature you tap while casting this spell pays for 1 or one mana of that creature's color.)
Call the Bombers deals 3 damage to each creature that didn't convoke it.
You better run, you better take cover.
AnotherAlias wrote:
11 months ago

Necromantic Attorney
Creature - Human Advisor Warlock - Uncommon
When Necromantic Attorney enters the battlefield, return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield.
When Necromantic Attorney leaves the battlefield, exile that creature.
"I now present the most crucial witness in this case - the murder victim themselves."
1/3
bravelion83 wrote:
11 months ago
Votes: Raptorchan, RattingRots

Leya, Midwife of the Pride WW
Legendary Creature — Cat (R)
Vigilance
Whenever Leya, Midwife of the Pride or another creature with base power 2 or less enters the battlefield, if you've drawn no more than one card this turn except the first one you draw in each of your draw steps, draw a card.
"Each time a newborn cub is born, it's not just our joy that increases, but also the strength of out pride."
2/2
netn10 wrote:
11 months ago

Rethink W
Instant (Uncommon)
Exile target spell. Its controller may cast it at the beginning of their next upkeep without paying its mana cost.
Draw a card.
It is bad if your king tells you, "Let me think about it." It is worse if he tells you, "I'll let you think about it."
Rithaniel wrote:
11 months ago
Votes: AnotherAlias, bravelion83

HM for everyone else. There are some good cards today.

Call of the Idaro
Sorcery U
Search your library for a creature card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If was spent to cast this spell and that card has mana value 1 or less, you may put it onto the battlefield instead. If was spent to cast this spell, you may search your library for a second creature card and put it into your graveyard. Then shuffle.
RattingRots wrote:
11 months ago
AnotherAlias, Rithaniel

Trick the Dragon U
Instant (R)
Choose one --
-Counter target spell with mana value 6 or greater.
-Return target permanent with mana value 6 or greater to its owner's hand.
Komandon wrote:
11 months ago
Votes: AnotherAlias , Riria

Ancient Problems 1B
Sorcery
Exile all graveyards. For each historic card exiled in this way that card's owner loses 1 life. Artifacts, legendaries and sagas are historic.)
////
Modern Solutions 2U
Sorcery
Aftermath (Cast this spell only from your graveyard. Then exile it.)
Draw four cards. Put one card into your hand, one on the top of your library, one into the graveyard, and exile one of the cards.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
11 months ago
netn10 rattingrots
void_nothing wrote:
11 months ago
Votes: bravelion83, Raptorchan

Ogre Zoologist 3R
Creature - Ogre Shaman (R)
Prowess
T: Create a 1/1 green Snake creature token.
T: Create a 1/2 green Spider creature token with reach. Activate only if you control a Snake.
T: Create a 3/3 green Dinosaur creature token with trample. Activate only if you control a Spider.
3/3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Riria

Post by Riria » 11 months ago

Votes: Raptorchan (cleanest design I've seen in a long time), RattingRots

Amira, Atoned Succubus 1UU
Legendary Creature — Demon Advisor (MR)
Flying, protection from red
Whenever a spell you don't control is countered, create a Treasure token.
Sacrifice four Treasure tokens: Gain control of target creature.
"Why limit myself to seducing one pathetic mortal at a time when there are entire financial empires to exploit?"
2/3

Raptorchan
Vidauna's Hand
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 11 months ago

Votes: AnotherAlias, RattingRots

World Domination Scheme x{w/b}{w/b}{w/b}{w/b}
Sorcery (M)
Each of X target creatures connive, then destroy the rest. (To have a creature connive, their controller draws a card, then discards a card. If they discarded a nonland card, they put a +1/+1 counter on that creature.)

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 11 months ago

Votes: Raptorchan, netn10
HMs
Show
Hide
Rithaniel - "a second creature card" should be "another creature card" and I'm not a big fan of how the double restriction on white mana reads but I like the idea.

RattingRots - I really like the elegance of the design but I think the card is a bit too narrow.

Komandon - A parenthesis is missing at the beginning of the reminder text for historic but that's not the real problem. That's the aftermath half, and for several reasons:
• Drawing the four cards that then get put in different places instead of just revealing them from the top of your library poses huge logistical issues, like miracle but multipled by four. You have to be able to tell which of the cards in your hand are the four you've just drawn, so technically you have to keep them separate from the rest of your hand. As soon as they touch the rest of the cards in your hand it's too late and you can't tell which ones they are anymore.
• Also, if you've already drawn the cards, why does the first one go to your hand? It's already in your hand, you've just drawn it!
• Also, you can't just say "the graveyard", you have to specify which player's graveyard, even if in this case it must be yours as you can't put cards you own into your opponent's graveyard.
• And finally, how about if you have an effect in play that makes you draw additional cards? Something like "If you would draw one or more cards, instead draw that many cards plus one."? Where does the additional card go? That's why many similar cards use the words "the rest" to say where the last cards go.
In the end, I would have worded the aftermath half like this: "Reveal the top four cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand, one back on top of your library, one into your graveyard and exile the rest."

void_nothing - I don't really see the purpose of prowess here, it feels like it's there just to give the card a red keyword. Also, I would have made the second token a 2/2 for elegance, so that you have the sequence 1/1 into 2/2 into 3/3. Finally, I would have made either all the tokens the same colors or all of different colors. Two tokens being green and one red doesn't read well to me, especially when a 3/3 Dinosaur with trample could already be green instead of red without any other changes.
High-Speed Train 1{R/W}{R/W}
Artifact — Vehicle (R)
Whenever a red creature crews High-Speed Train, High-Speed Train gets your choice of haste or menace until end of turn.
Whenever a white creature crews High-Speed Train, High-Speed Train gets your choice of first strike or lifelink until end of turn.
Crew 2
3/3
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Design deadline on the 15th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 11 months ago

netn10, Rithaniel

Soul Vice 1
Artifact (R)
T: Exile target card from a graveyard for as long as you control ~.
Sacrifice ~: Exile target card from a graveyard, then draw a card.
Last edited by RattingRots 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 11 months ago

Votes: Raptorchan, netn10

Ozolith Sliver 3G
Creature - Sliver (R)
Mutate 2G
Sliver cards you own that aren't on the battlefield have mutate 2G.
Slivers you control have "Whenever this creature mutates, put a +1/+1 counter on it and you gain 1 life."
4/4
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10

Post by netn10 » 11 months ago

Votes: Raptorchan, AnotherAlias

Moonshine Quill 3
Artifact - Equipment (Rare)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each card you drew this turn and +1/+1 for each card your opponents discarded this turn.
2UB: You draw a card and each opponent discards a card.
Equip 3
A note taken, a message received.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 11 months ago

Votes: void_nothing , netn10

Yeti Umbra 3R
Snow Enchantment -Aura
Enchant creature (uncommon)
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and hexproof from white.
2S: Enchanted creature gains +1/+1 and trample till end of turn.
Totem Armor (If enchanted creature would be destroyed, instead remove all damage and destroy this Aura.)

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 11 months ago

Votes: Raptorchan, void_nothing

Focus of the Jumera
Instant U
Tap up to three target creatures. If was spent to cast this spell, those creatures don't untap during their controller's next untap step. If was spent to cast this spell, creatures you control get +1/+0 and gain haste until end of turn.
"Occupy their attention with something mundane, and then use that moment to strike."
—Nelade, Jumera High Arbiter
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 11 months ago

Votes - Riria, Rithaniel

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”