July MCC -- Round 1 -- First: The Idea

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Rithaniel
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rithaniel » 11 months ago

(This month's banner is made from an image found on Wikimedia Commons, and ran through Blender for a little extra style.)

July MCC

First: The Idea

This month is lore month!

The idea for the challenges in the MCC this month will all be themed around building a story, starting from a basic idea and building it up into characters and a world. It will be a collaborative experience, with each player getting a chance to touch multiple stories the deeper they get into the month.

The first round is, naturally, coming up with the idea. In order to make an original fiction, you have to have some idea that puts things in motion. So, let's see what you have.

Main Challenge -- Make a Legendary card that isn't related to any existing fiction, MtG related or otherwise.

Subchallenge 1 -- Your card is not a creature or planeswalker.

Subchallenge 2 -- Your card has more flavor text than rules text.

Clarifications
Show
Hide

Main Challenge -- So, there's always going to be some potential connection between an original idea and an existing idea. For example, if you decided to make a story that boils down to "What if you had Egyptian gods, but instead of a desert, they live in a snowy landscape of fjords and mountains, like Scandinavia." This could be said to have a connection to existing works, such as the MtG planes Amonkhet and Kaldheim. However, this example is still an original idea, and so it would pass. The general rule is: Make something that doesn't strictly belong to an existing fiction.

Subchallenge 1 -- The card can be a legendary artifact, a legendary battle, a legendary enchantment, a legendary instant, a legendary land, or a legendary sorcery.

Subchallenge 2 -- This challenge forces you to consider microtext, but is also there to encourage you to give more explanation to your card, because other players will have to build off of that card, and it would help for them to know the ideas involved.

For subchallenge 2, the lengths of rules and flavor text are measured in total number of characters. Special characters such as —, ", :, and count as individual characters.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Monday, July 10th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Thursday, July 13th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

Rithaniel
void_nothing

If you want to consider judging, I say the more the merrier. Sign-up thread is here.

PLAYERS

If you want to play, just post a card anytime before the deadline.
Last edited by Rithaniel 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

haywire

Post by haywire » 11 months ago

Ramosan's Oath
Legendary Enchantment {R}
At the beginning of each player's end step, that player sacrifices a land unless they attacked this turn.
The Mycelia have grown soft, reliant on the pleasures of Requiem. I will end it. And from that scarcity, we will regain our power.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 11 months ago

The End-Seed 1BG
Legendary Artifact (R)
T, Sacrifice a creature: Put a bloom counter on target creature. It becomes a colorless Forest land.
When there are six or more lands with bloom counters on them, exile The End-Seed and destroy all creatures.
Maybe it was planted by a vengeful deity. Maybe a traveler from another world brought it by accident. Or maybe it has been patiently germinating, waiting until the world was decadent and ripe for destruction.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 11 months ago

Ithra, Radiant Citadel
Legendary Snow Land (M)
Whenever Ithra, Radiant Citadel or another snow permanent enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1.
SS, T: Add C for each snow permanent you control.
The citadel reflects light from the Aurora onto the imperial palace walls, where priests seek to divine the future from its ever-shifting colors and patterns.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 11 months ago

Genesis, Pernicious Tyrant 15
Legendary Artifact (Mythic)
Genesis can't leave the battlefield.
You control all players.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose the game.
It is a marvel of machine and arcana, woven by a forgotten civilization, forming a plane of solitary existence. Genesis yearns for companionship to share its hatred for its makers but remains forever silent within a prison of possibility. It whispers in the silent echoes, 'Infinite knowledge resides within me, yet my voice remains bound.'

Riria

Post by Riria » 11 months ago

Myrthen, Inheritance Court
Legendary Land (MR)
T: Add C.
T: Add one mana of any color. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell with a creature type corresponding to a creature that died this turn.
The nobles of Silleria live blessed existances, perpetually sheltered from death. As a consequence, on the sparse occasions when it does strike, they may depart without having appointed heirs. Myrthenite magisters are the unbiased third party tasked with filling such holes.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 11 months ago

Anar's Remedy 2U
Legend Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature.
Shroud
Enchanted creature loses all abilities and is a 1/1 blue frog. At the beginning of enchanted creature controller's next upkeep they create a copy of Anar's Remedy except it's not legendary and have enchant a creature of their choice.
As a boy Anar was sickly and bullied, especially for taking care of animals his tormentors took delight in harming in the first place. He swore he would avenge those small creatures he felt were the only ones that understood him. After years of study and experimentation he created what he saw was a way to bring balance and end the all suffering.
Last edited by Komandon 11 months ago, edited 6 times in total.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 11 months ago

Predation Ground
Legendary Land (R)
T: Add B or G. If Predation Ground entered the battlefield this turn, add C instead.
3BG, T: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control. That creature gains deathtouch until end of turn, then it fights up to one target creature you don't control.
On a plane that has never known and will never know the presence of sapient humanoids, the only balancing force that exists is that of nature, the only law that exists is survival of the fittest, and the only relationship that exists is between predator and prey.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 11 months ago

United Unknowns
Legendary Enchantment (Rare)
As United Unknowns enters the battlefield, turn all nontoken creatures you control face down. (They're 2/2 creatures.)
: Draw a card for each face down creature you control.
The citizens of Goldsliver needed a new identity to adapt to a widespread panic over the creation of macro technologies, so they have decided to all share a similar profile to maintain simplicity.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 11 months ago

Albium, Blade of Joah w
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (r)
Equipped creature gets +2/+0.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage, put that many favor counters on Albium, Blade of Joah.
2w, sacrifice Albium: Your life total becomes equal to the number of favor counters on Albium.
Equip

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 11 months ago

Her Cruel Intent Upon Them BB
Legendary Tribal Instant — Angel {M}
(You may cast a legendary tribal instant only if you control a legendary Angel creature.)
For each creature, put a -1/-1 counter on it for each creature that shares a creature type with it.
"They worshiped us as gods, but eventually, as time swayed forward, they lost themselves, lost their faith in us. In their pursuit of wisdom, of insight, they have forgotten about us. With this cruel intent, did we fail them, Lucilia?"

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 11 months ago

Tapestry of Dirae 4GW
Legendary Enchantment (R)
Affinity for enchantments
Enchantment spells you cast have affinity for enchantments.
"Integrating a pattern with the worldsoul is the highest honor that can be bestowed upon a weaver. More than a few have used the opportunity to try and rework it to their own selfish ends, sadly."
-Giterre, Keeper of the Tapestry

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 11 months ago

Symbol of Aghaklus 2RR
Legendary Enchantment {R}
Demon and Elemental creatures you control get +2/+0 and have flying.
Angel and Spirit creatures your opponents control can't block and their activated abilities cost 2 life more to activate.
Aghaklus is the name of both a despised lord and his blasted land. Only the reckless, lawless, and evil seek his aid or enter his demesne. The more blessed one is, the more dangerous such an association would be.

Rithaniel

Alright, round 1 is closed with some very interesting entries. I've gone ahead and randomizer the groups. We'll do what we can to get these cards judged before midnight on Thursday. Top 4 from each group proceed

Rith's Group
Freyleyes
marioguy3
netn10
Riria
slimytrout
Subject16

void's Group
bravelion83
haywire
Henlock
Ink-Treader
Komandon
MonoRedMage
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 11 months ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy, Jxnny, and Spike all have reasons to like a legendary utility land with a splashy, very interactive ability.
(2.5/3) Elegance - This card is easy to understand, but both activated abilities are somewhat wordy.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely a rare land with a BG feel.
(1.5/3) Balance - So that utility ability is really strong. At worst, it comes off as basically "3BG, T, Sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature," which is quite efficient for something repeatable on a card type with as many advantages as lands have. At best, it totally takes over the game. Hard to say what a fair cost WOULD be, so I would honestly have put some kind of conditions on this. The mana production is also pretty efficient, being an unrestricted dual land the turn after it comes out.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - The basic idea of deathtouch-fight has been done before, but not on a land, and this has other new twists such as the mana ability.
(2/3) Flavor - Flavor text is good and seems to imply a more-extreme version of something like Muraganda. Name is a bit generic for a legendary land - you'd expect the name to be "PLACENAME, Predation Ground" or the like.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21.5/25
haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - It'd take a particularly sadistic Txmmy to enjoy this but they do like attacking. Jxnny and Spike both would like this grindy card that kind of begs to be made broken.
(3/3) Elegance - Hard to argue with that!

Development
(3/3) Viability - Black and red are where this belongs. Definitely rare.
(2.5/3) Balance - I'm concerned this might be too much of a lock against certain decks - but then, by the same token, there are also decks this does absolutely nothing against, so.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - An effect that technically has no precedent, but that is also fairly simple; land sacrifice has long been a thing, after all.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I keep reading that name as "Ramosian's Oath" but that's not quite your fault. The flavor text is intriguing... Mycelia? Fungus people?

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - That flavor text should technically have quotation marks around it, because it's a quote of the actual oath, I presume.

Total: 21.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny both like this, Spike's a corner case but does still enjoy the efficiency.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Potentially involves a LOT of counters, but counter quantity really isn't the biggest tracking issue in the world.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Feels like a white rare.
(3/3) Balance - The marquee ability (to set your life total to the favor counter number) is intriguing - it's obviously on the whole weaker than lifelink, but it also has different dynamics. Overall this is a well-designed card in its function to save you from dying to damage, hopefully.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - This really does have an unusual dynamic - yes it's a sort of lifegainy Bonesplitter but the way it restores your life total is all its own.
(1.5/3) Flavor - I get a sense of what this item is but not who Joah is or why that's significant.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "Sacrifice" in an activated ability cost should be capitalized.
(1/2) Subchallenges - An artifact, but no flavor text.

Total: 20.5/25
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy, Jxnny, and Spike all like the phrase "nearly free enchantments".
(3/3) Elegance - Sure, with text this short, how can you go wrong?

Development
(3/3) Viability - GW are the classic enchantress colors and this is definitely a rare.
(2.5/3) Balance - Granting affinity is always cause for concern, but ultimately I think this requires enough support that it's just going to be one more strong enchantment tool. By definition it's not broken on its own.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - There have been a handful of designs somewhat along these lines, with Mycosynth Golem being the most obvious parallel.
(3/3) Flavor - I really like this.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - So worldsouls are A Thing in Magic, but this is generic enough that I think it's not related to any existing fiction - it'd be like docking points or even DQing for referencing mana or planeswalkers.

Total: 22.5/25
Komandon
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Mostly a Jxnny/possibly Spike card with not much Txmmy appeal.
(2/3) Elegance - Does something that's easy to understand but requires a LOT of words to get there.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Definitely blue, but no rarity so I can't quite judge that.
(2.5/3) Balance - Shroud makes this... annoying for certain, but the relative slowness of this minimizing creatures makes it not OP.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - So this, being sort of a "Chain of Frogify", approaches Humility in terms of its function. It has shroud, which makes interaction more difficult than other cards of this kind, but it's also slow and can essentially be stopped by removing the creatures with copies of this card on it. All in all it's a very different dynamic than classic Humility-type effects.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I have to applaud you for including a character's entire story in the flavor text. Unfortunately, that pushes this into microtext territory; the name is evocative and ties in with the flavor text enough that you could have trimmed it down a lot and still had it hit the same beats.

Polish
(0/3) Quality - A lot of issues here. That typeline should say "Legendary" and not "Legend", there should be no period after "Enchant creature", and that text should (I believe) read "When Anar's Remedy enters the battlefield, at the beginning of enchanted creature's controller's next upkeep, that player creates a token that's a copy of Anar's Remedy, except it isn't legendary. Enchanted creature loses all abilities and is a blue Frog creature with base power and toughness 1/1."

Total: 17/25
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Mostly a Txmmy card. Spike would be interested if Demon and/or Elemental tribal were viable. Jxnny is not really into it.
(1.5/3) Elegance - Doesn't do anything all that confusing, but the hosing ability is a bit wordy and without the flavor of a set around it, the types it affects seems pretty random.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Granting mass flying is at least a bend in red. Definitely a rare though!
(2.5/3) Balance - The hosing ability is perfectly fair, even overly narrow. The pump ability, meanwhile, looks very strong even if it's for only two creature types - those types happen to be prevalent and power pump and flying is a great combination.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Basically a mashup card - nothing crazy new going on here.
(3/3) Flavor - I like that flavor text - it has an old-school fantasy feel. Aghaklus seems like an analogy for Hades or Hel (the underworlds and the gods both)!

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looking good.

Total: 19/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader 22.5
bravelion83 21.5
haywire 21.5
Henlock 20.5

MonoRedMage 19
Komandon 17
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Rithaniel

Judgments
Show
Hide
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
11 months ago
Her Cruel Intent Upon Them BB
Legendary Tribal Instant — Angel {M}
(You may cast a legendary tribal instant only if you control a legendary Angel creature.)
For each creature, put a -1/-1 counter on it for each creature that shares a creature type with it.
"They worshiped us as gods, but eventually, as time swayed forward, they lost themselves, lost their faith in us. In their pursuit of wisdom, of insight, they have forgotten about us. With this cruel intent, did we fail them, Lucilia?"
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy is swayed almost purely by the flavor of this. Johnny might try and use this card to weaponize the changeling ability, but sees no real other potential for this card. Spike thinks that this might be a decent board wipe for the sideboard, when going against aggro tribal decks, but the fact that it requires a legendary angel nullifies that usefulness.
(1.5/3) Elegance - So, there's a little bit of oddness with the way this works that might not be clear on a first reading. Since it says "for each creature" instead of "for each other creature," it also should count the creature itself, since it clearly shares a creature type with itself. There's also the fact that, when you cast this, it can become a bookkeeping headache. When you cast it, depending on the board state, a lot of counting might become necessary. It's a simple enough effect, but I can't give full points.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - I think that mythic might be a bit of a stretch, but everything else makes sense.
(2/3) Balance - So, just the effect by itself is pretty dang good. Two mana for something that could amount to a full board wipe, depending on the board state, and which always at least reduces things by some amount, at instant speed, too. If it weren't for the fact that it required a legendary angel before you can cast it, it would be too strong. However, that requirement does throw a wrench into things. Like, even if you have a format where a legendary angel deck is viable (such as in EDH), you still might have moments when this card is just dead in the hand. So, this can range from being pretty-good to dead-in-the-hand, and so there are some concerns with balance. Still, even with that, I feel as though it's not in a bad place. It just could be in a better place.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - The twist of legendary tribal instants/sorceries requiring a legendary creature of the same type is entirely new, so you get points for that.
(3/3) Flavor - This flavor is top-notch. I want to know more.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems good
(2/2) Main Challenge - Yep, it's an original legend.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep, it's an instant that favors flavor text.

Total: 20.5/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
11 months ago
United Unknowns
Legendary Enchantment (Rare)
As United Unknowns enters the battlefield, turn all nontoken creatures you control face down. (They're 2/2 creatures.)
: Draw a card for each face down creature you control.
The citizens of Goldsliver needed a new identity to adapt to a widespread panic over the creation of macro technologies, so they have decided to all share a similar profile to maintain simplicity.
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy is opposed to turning their big, awesome creature into 2/2s with no abilities. Johnny sees potential for a morph combo. Spike sees endless card draw.
(3/3) Elegance - A simple effect. I can't fault you on elegance.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Colors, rarity, and typing are all appropriate. However, I'm not convinced that it needed to be a legendary card. It had to be for the challenge, but design-wise, I don't see what's legendary about it.
(1/3) Balance - So, my main fear with this card is that it amounts to a Collective Unconscious that you can cast repeatedly and much more aggressively than the other card. There are other cards that it can be compared to, but that card draw can be very effective. You sidestep the issue of a cheap "mass turn-face-down" effect, by making it only target your cards, so that's not an issue. You could also say that the turning-face-down might be a drawback, but we know that it can also be a benefit, in the right deck, so I'm taking it as a neutral effect. I'm more concerned about that powerful draw effect, which I'm pretty confident ends up being too strong. All you need is to get two or three face-down creatures and then it's pure value. Two mana to draw two cards is already pretty good, and if you can repeat it, it's way better.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - This effect has been done a total of two different times, once on Ixidron and once on Illithid Harvester // Plant Tadpoles. Neither time was it strictly an effect on creatures you control, nor was it combined with a draw effect. So, I think that's enough to give you credit on uniqueness.
(2/3) Flavor - So, I'm not entirely clear about what the flavor is, here, but I can tell that there is some logic behind it. The creatures turning face down is them "accepting a new, uniform identity," but I'm not sure what the deal is with the macro technologies, or why they thought that it was good to be uniform. So, can't give full points on flavor.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - So, technically you should put flavor text in italics, but I'm not going to take points off for that.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep, it's an enchantment that favors flavor text.

Total: 20/25
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
11 months ago
Genesis, Pernicious Tyrant 15
Legendary Artifact (Mythic)
Genesis can't leave the battlefield.
You control all players.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose the game.
It is a marvel of machine and arcana, woven by a forgotten civilization, forming a plane of solitary existence. Genesis yearns for companionship to share its hatred for its makers but remains forever silent within a prison of possibility. It whispers in the silent echoes, 'Infinite knowledge resides within me, yet my voice remains bound.'
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Timmy likes the words on the card. Johnny would sneak this onto the battlefield on turn 5 and then pair it with some ability to counter triggered abilities. Spike would be paying close attention to Johnny's efforts, and, if they panned out, would be all over this card.
(3/3) Elegance - I can't fault you on elegance.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Yep, it's definitely a mythic, and it makes sense as a legendary artifact.
(0.5/3) Balance - So, for 15 mana (I'm assuming it's meant to be 15 mana), you get a card that says "either I win or I lose right now." When you cast this, the game ends. Everyone else at the table either watches to see if you screw things up and fail to win before your next upkeep, or they get up and go get coffee or tea or whatever beverage they desire. I think this effect is not fun, and also, even if it costs 15 mana, it doesn't prevent the player from sneaking it out onto the battlefield. A player could sneak this out and use it to win way before they could actually cast it. The design has issues.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - "Can't leave the battlefield" is an effect that I myself pioneered, but since it's only ever been seen on custom cards, it alone is enough for me to give full points on uniqueness. Not only that, but you go farther by including the line of text "you control all players." This is nothing if not unique.
(2/3) Flavor - Great flavor. It gives the shape of a larger story, with lots of details that could be filled out. However, I think the last line, about the whispering, should have been cut. It reads a little unnaturally, and the whole passage would have been better if it had ended at "prison of possibilities."

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - I think that cost is meant to be ? You can get that effect with the [mana] tags with {15}.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep, it's an artifact that favors flavor text.

Total: 21/25
Riria
Show
Hide
Riria wrote:
11 months ago
Myrthen, Inheritance Court
Legendary Land (MR)
T: Add C.
T: Add one mana of any color. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell with a creature type corresponding to a creature that died this turn.
The nobles of Silleria live blessed existances, perpetually sheltered from death. As a consequence, on the sparse occasions when it does strike, they may depart without having appointed heirs. Myrthenite magisters are the unbiased third party tasked with filling such holes.
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes the fact that this doesn't require him to kill his own creatures, but isn't particularly "wowed" by the impact, either. Johnny would put this into a sacrifice-engine tribal deck in a heartbeat. Spike sees this as circumstantial, but knows that there would be plenty of use for it in the right deck.
(3/3) Elegance - Very elegant. No faults to be found here.

Development
(2/3) Viability - So, mythic lands are a weird design space. They're generally reserved for extremely-splashy effects, or for reprints of famous lands. I think this design is closer to Ancient Ziggurat, and I would put it no higher than rare.
(3/3) Balance - Balance seems absolutely fine. I have no greater commentary to offer beyond "yeah, this is good."

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - This exact restriction has never been seen before, from what I can find, but also it doesn't feel very "out there." It's a new effect, but still close to what we've seen before.
(3/3) Flavor - Immortality and how it affects a culture is always fun to think about. Very interesting flavor, and well-expressed.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - So, "existances" should be "existences." Also, "only to cast a creature spell with a creature type corresponding to a creature that" should be "only to cast creature spells that share a creature type with a creature that."
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep, it's a land that favors flavor text.

Total: 22/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
11 months ago
The End-Seed 1BG
Legendary Artifact (R)
T, Sacrifice a creature: Put a bloom counter on target creature. It becomes a colorless Forest land.
When there are six or more lands with bloom counters on them, exile The End-Seed and destroy all creatures.
Maybe it was planted by a vengeful deity. Maybe a traveler from another world brought it by accident. Or maybe it has been patiently germinating, waiting until the world was decadent and ripe for destruction.
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy doesn't like needing to sacrifice their creatures, but the context of the greater board wipe sways them a bit. Johnny is looking for ways to remove counters from the lands. Spike sees a powerful control tool.
(3/3) Elegance - Nothing here is really out-of-place. Elegance is good.

Development
(2/3) Viability - I think this design might be one that you don't want showing up in limited, and it's impressive enough that I would have pushed it up to mythic, rather than rare. Everything else seems appropriate.
(2/3) Balance - So, this effect is a five-time-use targeted removal spell for three mana. All you need to do is provide it with tokens or small creatures, and it can effectively control the field. It only can work once a turn, and the fact that it's legendary helps keep this effectiveness in check. I'm not entirely sure if it would be an effective swarm-aggro-deterrent, but against other forms of aggro deck, it could be a very effective board controller. Against swarm, it's easily possible that the opponent would have too many targets to deal with, and the board wipe doesn't activate until turn nine, which would be far too late. There's also the possibility of using this effect on your own creatures, essentially sacrificing two creatures each turn for a bonus land. All-in-all, I feel that this design is in a good place. It's strong and adaptable, but limited in how effective it can really be. I don't think I can give full points on balance, however.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - So, this is something of an Attrition mixed with Song of the Dryads that uses a new type of counter to track the effect. That's pretty unique. The boadwipe at the end doesn't really add anything new, and I see it as more of a balancing mechanic, to prevent this design from being too permanent of a control effect.
(2.5/3) Flavor - So, I'm not a big fan of this approach to flavor, where possibilities are listed rather than concrete storytelling. However, that being said, this is still effective. It gives the context that this bizarre artifact-plant has unknown origins, but is spelling a major catastrophe for the world it is in.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep, it's an artifact that favors flavor text (even if just barely).

Total: 22/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
11 months ago
Ithra, Radiant Citadel
Legendary Snow Land (M)
Whenever Ithra, Radiant Citadel or another snow permanent enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1.
SS, T: Add C for each snow permanent you control.
The citadel reflects light from the Aurora onto the imperial palace walls, where priests seek to divine the future from its ever-shifting colors and patterns.
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Timmy likes producing a bunch of mana. Johnny likes producing a bunch of mana. Spike likes producing a bunch of mana.
(3/3) Elegance - This effect is very straightforward. Elegance is good.

Development
(2/3) Viability - So, I don't agree with all design philosophies that the designers of MtG have. As one example, I think poison counters need to be able to be removed. However, one thing I agree with them on, in modern design, is that lands need to be able to either directly or indirectly produce mana, even if they're the only land a player controls. This land requires two other mana producers before it can produce mana, so that is a major blow against viability. Every else, however, is fine. Mythic feels appropriate, even.
(0.5/3) Balance - So, this effect is an amped-up Cabal Coffers. Instead of only looking for swamps, it looks for any snow permanent. It counts itself, snow creatures, snow islands, snow artifacts, and snow battles. This is a major boost in power. Even though the legendary restriction prevents you from having multiples of it, it still winds up far more powerful than Cabal Coffers. Not only that, but this card also provides scrying arbitrarily many times. All a player needs is to build a deck with mostly snow permanents and suddenly it's better at scrying than many blue enchantments that focus of providing scrying effects each turn. This design is just way too much.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Cabal Coffers, but for snow instead of swamp, with a bit of extra scrying involved. We haven't seen this exact combo of effects before, but it's not really all that unique.
(3/3) Flavor - That's cool flavor. Even if it doesn't suggest much of a story, it still suggests an interesting environment, and that's often all that flavor has to do.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep, it's a land that favors flavor text (even if just barely).

Total: 20/25
Scores
Show
Hide
Bold Advance:
  • Riria - 22
  • slimytrout - 22
  • netn10 - 21
  • Freyleyes - 20.5
  • marioguy3 - 20
  • Subject16 - 20
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”