NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

lookingupanddown
Pronoun: he / him

Post by lookingupanddown » 11 months ago

Trench Camarid U
Creature - Camarid (C)
When Trench Camarid enters the battlefield, each player mills a card.
The merfolk found that the giant fissure in the sea floor lead back to Sarpadia, explaining the sudden surge in homarid populations
0/2

IIW: Treefolk Hydra
Last edited by lookingupanddown 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 11 months ago

i just had one of those "only person who shows up to the party in a costume" moments.

Cosmic Hatchling R
Creature — Beast {R}
Trample
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Cosmic Hatchling unless you sacrifice a land.
4/3

IIW: don't make me think
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 11 months ago

Before we get to the judging, I just want to share that a full two rounds later, I suddenly realized that Moldgraf Millipede has a bit of Magic-specific wordplay; namely, it's a millipede that mills.

With that out of the way, let's go!
SPOILER
Show
Hide
chetoos wrote:
11 months ago
Larval Gargomoth g
Creature - Beast Insect
Trample, Vigilance
Whenever this creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it. Then, gain 1 life if it has 1 or more +1/+1 counter on it, create a 3/3 green beast creature token if it has 4 or more +1/+1 counters on it, and draw a card if it has 7 or more +1/+1 counters on it.
"I had no idea they pupated, this calls their entire lifespan and classification into question," - The Journal of Vivien Reid
0/1

IIW: Unfiled, an office work themed unset.
A relative of Timbermaw Larva, presumably. No rarity, but this feels like at least a rare, and more likely a mythic. I feel that this is the sort of thing to warp the metagame around it, since this thing will be both be growing and gaining life from turn 2 onwards.
Cythare wrote:
11 months ago
Grist, Budding Hunger BG
Legendary Creature — Insect (M)
Menace
Whenever you mill a creature card, create a 1/1 black and green Insect creature token.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control six or more Insects, exile Grist, Budding Hunger and return it to the battlefield transformed under its owner's control.
2/2
//
Grist, Voracious Vermin
Legendary Planeswalker — Grist (M)
Grist, Voracious Vermin enters the battlefield with a loyalty counter on it for each other Insect you control.
[+1]: Mill two cards. Then, if there are four or more card types among cards in your graveyard, put a loyalty counter on Grist, Voracious Vermin.
[-2]: Exile target non-Aura permanent card from your graveyard. Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 1/1 black and green Insect creature.
[-10]: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, for each Insect creature you control, create a token that's a copy of it, except it isn't legendary."
[0]

(omitting the "if that Insect is legendary" text has new precedent from Storm of Saruman)

IIW: Exert
Oh hey, an Origins flipwalker for Grist!

It is certainly flavorful to portray Grist as a larva before its sparks, and the condition for flipping sort of references the fact that Grist builds its body out of Insects.

For the front side though, the mill-token generation seems a bit crazy, since green and black get a lot of self-mill. The closest is Sidisi, Brood Tyrant, and she's a three-color four-drop, plus her mill limits it to one Zombie token per mill.

I can't help but this will be broken using the NarcoDredge strategy.

The backside is better, although the second ability might need playtesting to see how good it would be with planeswalkers.
spacemonaut wrote:
11 months ago
Demonbud BB
Creature — Demon (U)
You can't gain life.
Whenever you lose life for the first time on each of your turns, draw a card.
, , Sacrifice Demonbud: Search your library for a Demon card with mana value less than or equal to the amount of life you've lost this turn, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
Full of teeth and vice, and the shape of disasters to come.
1/1

IIW: she-ra and he-man and the kingdom of grayskull
Interesting little two drop! I can see the interesting tension, but might lead to situations where the players refuse to attack because this thing is on the field.

Plus, black's various "pay life" costs might make this too good.
Megiddo wrote:
11 months ago
Polywog 1U
Creature - Frog {R}
Flash
3U, Sacrifice Polywog and another creature: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a non-Frog creature card. Put that card onto the battlefield and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
2/1

IIW: ghosts and/or tricks
Ah yes, a tadpole, the larval frog. The non-Frog clause is strange; presumably this is the embodiment of the concept of "tadpole" but applied to other creatures.

This also seems to have the potential to be broken. Flash this in on the end of the opponent's turn, then when you untap sacrifice this plus your turn 1 one-drop Changeling/Khalni Garden token, reveal your library for your single copy of Progenitus/Emrakul (the only non-Frog creature, naturally) and plop it into play.

Removing the non-Frog clause might be for the best.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
11 months ago
Betaskull 2
Artifact- Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and has Lifelink and Vigilance.
Living Weapon (When this Equipment enters the battlefield, create a 0/0 black Phyrexian Germ creature token, then attach this to it.)
4: Return Betaskull to its owner's hand.
Equip 4

I did not realize Phyrexian Dreadnought's typeline read Phyrexian Dreadnought. Love It.

Phyrexian Dreadling 0
Artifact Creature- Phryrexian Dreadnought (R)
Flash, trample
When Phyrexian Dreadling enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice any number of creatures with total power 4 or greater.
4/4

IIW: Red does that?
Betaskull: Interesting interpretation, implying the living weapon are vat-grown/cultured rather than assembled/built. The bounce is an interesting quirk; basically allows you to save it, even allows it to be a very slow Germ-token producer.

Phyrexian Dreadling: Unlike its mature form, this version with the lower power requirements might actually work as a one-time sacrifice outlet, say in response to removal. Works great with all those incidental decayed Zombie tokens, for example.
Cythare wrote:
11 months ago
Thing in the Snow U
Creature — Horror (U)
Defender
Thing in the Snow enters the battlefield with three ice counters on it.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, remove an ice counter from Thing in the Snow. Then if it has no ice counters on it, transform it.
0/2
//
Awoken Tadpole
Creature — Kraken Horror (U)
When this creature transforms into Awoken Tadpole, all non-Horror creatures phase out.
4/3

IIW: Artifacts with mana value 2
More tadpoles! I'm all for expanding the term "tadpole" to cover the larval forms of other aquatic beats like sea serpents and krakens. I'd like to see the art for this one.

The flip-side's trigger seems a little strong, might need playtesting. Maybe restrict it to just one? Although the symmetry helps.
lookingupanddown wrote:
11 months ago
Trench Camarid U
Creature - Camarid (C)
When Trench Camarid enters the battlefield, each player mills a card.
The merfolk found that the giant fissure in the sea floor lead back to Sarpadia, explaining the sudden surge in homarid populations
0/2

IIW: Treefolk Hydra
Clearly inspired by the Sarpadia reference in the previous round. Nice little one drop.
Megiddo wrote:
11 months ago
Cosmic Hatchling R
Creature — Beast {R}
Trample
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Cosmic Hatchling unless you sacrifice a land.
4/3

IIW: don't make me think
Meggido digging deep and coming up with a Cosmic Larva larva. A bit more playable as a neonate.

Now I wonder what a Cosmic Imago looks like...

Results:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
HM: Meggido, for allowing the Frog deck to cheat out Emrakul.

Winner: Cythare, for a Kraken tadpole, plus for a good attempt at Grist while accidentally giving Dredge a powerful tool.

Next: Artifacts with mana value 2 or Exert
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 11 months ago

Djeru's Banner 1W
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature has "You may exert this creature as it attacks."
Whenever you exert a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature.
Creatures you've exerted this turn have indestructible.
Equip 2

IIW: Krakens, Leviathans, Octopodes, and Serpents that don't live in the water
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Megiddo
MEG

Steelworker 2
Artifact Creature - Construct {R}
T: Add C.
T, Exert Steelworker: Add CCC. This mana can't be spent to cast nonartifact spells.
0/1

IIW: Combine any two IIWs from among the last three challenges.
MEG

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 11 months ago

Unit-01 2
Artifact - Vehicle
Unit-01 has trample as long as it has at least 2 +1/+1 counters on it.
Get in the robot, Shinji-Whenever Unit-01 becomes crewed, exert each creature that crewed it.
Unit-01 has gone feral!-Whenever a creature that blocked Unit-01 this turn dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Unit-01. Then, if it has 4 or more +1/+1 counters, it becomes an artifact creature until the end of your next turn.
AT Field penetration-Creatures blocking Unit-01 lose hexproof and indestructible, and can't gain hexproof or indestructible.
Crew 4
5/6

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 11 months ago

Boom Cannon 2
Artifact (U)
Boom Cannon enters the battlefield tapped.
2,T, Exert Boom Cannon: Boom Cannon deals 2 damage to any target.
It took a lot of working, but all the goblins agreed it was a very good boom.

IIW: White does that?

Sporegorger_Dragon

Brachypterous Stick Insect
1{B}
Creature - Insect (C)
You may exert Brachypterous Stick Insect as it attacks. When you do, it gains flying until end of turn.
2/2
There are both long-winged and short-winged forms. The short-wing form is a poor flier and reluctant to take off.

Siren Harpist
2{U}{U}
Creature - Siren Bard {U}
Flying
T, Exert Siren Harpist: Gain control of target creature with mana value 4 or less for as long as you control Siren Harpist and Siren Harpist remains tapped.
2/3

IIW: Salamander
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 11 months ago

Lotus Fragment 2
Artifact (Rare)
Lotus Fragment enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add C.
2, , Exert Lotus Fragment: Add three mana of any one color.
Even the smallest shred can contain raw power. All it takes is focus and persistence to channel it.

IIW: characters compleated in March of the Machine
Last edited by lookingupanddown 11 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 11 months ago

Geothermal Power-Plant
Land — Power-Plant (R)
Geothermal Power-Plant enters the battlefield tapped unless you control another Power-Plant.
: Add or .
, Exert Geothermal Power-Plant: Add UR. (An exerted land won't untap during your next untap step.)

IIW: he-man, she-ra, and the kingdom of grayskull

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
11 months ago
Interesting little two drop! I can see the interesting tension, but might lead to situations where the players refuse to attack because this thing is on the field.

FWIW, Demonbud only responds to you losing life during your own turn, so others attacking you won't draw you a card. Though definitely if you have easy access to a life payment on your own turn, Demonbud turns into a Phyrexian Arena.
Last edited by spacemonaut 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

spacemonaut wrote:
11 months ago
FWIW, Demonbud only responds to you losing life during your own turn
Didn't notice the "during your turn" restriction, my bad, this does make it better.

Still worried about the ability to pay a punch of life then draw a card, then tutor up a potent demon.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

11 months ago
1{B}
Creature - Insect (C)
You may exert Brachypterous Stick Insect as it attacks. When you do, it gains flying until end of turn.
2/2
There are both long-winged and short-winged forms. The short-wing form is a poor flier and reluctant to take off.
Dolichopterous Stick Insect 3B
Creature - Insect (C)
Flying
Dolichopterous Stick Insect can't block creatures without flying.
There are both long-winged and short-winged forms. The long-winged form, though an excellent flier with a bigger body, is all but helpless on land.
3/3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
11 months ago
Dolichopterous Stick Insect 3B
:grin:

However, doesn't really fit the prompt, this is the Nexus Flamingo contest thread :rofl:

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

It's Nexus Flamingo alright. But contest? Ehh. Spam and riffing? That's more like it.

chetoos

@Cythare judge!

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

i think the judge got exerted

Megiddo
MEG

luckily there's another untap step tomorrow morning.
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones

Hung-Over Giant R
Creature- Giant (U)
Hung-Over Giant enters the battlefield tapped and exerted.
Nah, I'm good. Just gonna sit here a minute. Then I'm good.
3/3

Flowering Fen
Land (U)
Flowering Fen enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add B.
T, Exert Flowering Fen: Add one mana of any color. Gain 1 life.

(+ 4 flowering lands)

IIW: It ain't easy being a _____

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Titan of Karfell 3UB
Creature — Elemental Giant (U)
Menace
Whenever Titan of Karfell attacks, put a stun counter on it.
Whenever Titan of Karfell deals combat damage to a creature, tap that creature and put a stun counter on it. If you don't, draw a card. (You'll draw a card if it already died.)
6/6

this is like exert right?

IIW: he-man and she-ra and the kingdom of grayskull

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 11 months ago

Sorry for the delay!
Entries
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
11 months ago
Djeru's Banner 1W
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature has "You may exert this creature as it attacks."
Whenever you exert a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature.
Creatures you've exerted this turn have indestructible.
Equip 2

IIW: Krakens, Leviathans, Octopodes, and Serpents that don't live in the water
Neat! I really like what this has going on. I just wish that more of its abilities required it to be attached to a creature. As-is, there's no incentive to attach it if all of your creatures can already exert themselves.
Megiddo wrote:
11 months ago
Steelworker 2
Artifact Creature - Construct {R}
T: Add C.
T, Exert Steelworker: Add CCC. This mana can't be spent to cast nonartifact spells.
0/1

IIW: Combine any two IIWs from among the last three challenges.
A fixed Metalworker! This is v cute, and I like that the restriction allows you to use it for any kind of ability/non-spell cost.
chetoos wrote:
11 months ago
Unit-01 2
Artifact - Vehicle
Unit-01 has trample as long as it has at least 2 +1/+1 counters on it.
Get in the robot, Shinji-Whenever Unit-01 becomes crewed, exert each creature that crewed it.
Unit-01 has gone feral!-Whenever a creature that blocked Unit-01 this turn dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Unit-01. Then, if it has 4 or more +1/+1 counters, it becomes an artifact creature until the end of your next turn.
AT Field penetration-Creatures blocking Unit-01 lose hexproof and indestructible, and can't gain hexproof or indestructible.
Crew 4
5/6

This feels like a lot, and I'm not sure if it's too strong or not. I really dislike like the permanent loss of hexproof/indestructible, though. The feral line is a neat way of offsetting exert, but I think this has too much going on.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
11 months ago
Boom Cannon 2
Artifact (U)
Boom Cannon enters the battlefield tapped.
2,T, Exert Boom Cannon: Boom Cannon deals 2 damage to any target.
It took a lot of working, but all the goblins agreed it was a very good boom.

IIW: White does that?
Simple and fun. I think this is a fine rate.
11 months ago
1{B}
Creature - Insect (C)
2/2

Siren Harpist
2{U}{U}
Creature - Siren Bard {U}
Flying
T, Exert Siren Harpist: Gain control of target creature with mana value 4 or less for as long as you control Siren Harpist and Siren Harpist remains tapped.
2/3

IIW: Salamander
A nice straightforward exert common. That said, it's basically a worse Gust Walker in black?

Siren Harpist being a temporary control change effect feels more red than blue, but I really like the effect here.
lookingupanddown wrote:
11 months ago
Lotus Fragment 2
Artifact (Rare)
Lotus Fragment enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add C.
2, , Exert Lotus Fragment: Add three mana of any one color.
Even the smallest shred can contain raw power. All it takes is focus and persistence to channel it.

IIW: characters compleated in March of the Machine
This feels pretty strong. Is it too strong? Maybe, but I'd at least want to test it.
spacemonaut wrote:
11 months ago
Geothermal Power-Plant
Land — Power-Plant (R)
Geothermal Power-Plant enters the battlefield tapped unless you control another Power-Plant.
: Add or .
, Exert Geothermal Power-Plant: Add UR. (An exerted land won't untap during your next untap step.)

IIW: he-man, she-ra, and the kingdom of grayskull

11 months ago

FWIW, Demonbud only responds to you losing life during your own turn, so others attacking you won't draw you a card. Though definitely if you have easy access to a life payment on your own turn, Demonbud turns into a Phyrexian Arena.
This is a straightforward way to make exert work on dual lands, and I'm here for it.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
11 months ago
Hung-Over Giant R
Creature- Giant (U)
Hung-Over Giant enters the battlefield tapped and exerted.
Nah, I'm good. Just gonna sit here a minute. Then I'm good.
3/3

Flowering Fen
Land (U)
Flowering Fen enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add B.
T, Exert Flowering Fen: Add one mana of any color. Gain 1 life.

(+ 4 flowering lands)

IIW: It ain't easy being a _____
Neat one-drop! I'm happy with these various simple exert cards. Flowering Fen is a cool land too!
spacemonaut wrote:
11 months ago
Titan of Karfell 3UB
Creature — Elemental Giant (U)
Menace
Whenever Titan of Karfell attacks, put a stun counter on it.
Whenever Titan of Karfell deals combat damage to a creature, tap that creature and put a stun counter on it. If you don't, draw a card. (You'll draw a card if it already died.)
6/6

this is like exert right?

IIW: he-man and she-ra and the kingdom of grayskull
Stun counters aren't technically exerting, but I'll allow it flavorfully. This seems pretty strong, but also it's a 6/6, so this feels like it has the Grave Titan problem (the deathtouch part).
Winner & Next
Show
Hide
HMs: mergatroid_jones for Boom Cannon, spacemonaut's dual land cycle
Winner: Megiddo for Steelworker
Next: Combine any two IIWs from among the last three challenges.

For reference, that means "Exert"/"MV 2 artifacts", "Larva of another creature", and "Battles from Magic's past"
Last edited by Cythare 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Cythare wrote:
11 months ago
HMs: sporegorger_dragon for Boom Cannon
Mergatroid_Jones submitted the Boom Cannon.
Cythare wrote:
11 months ago
That said, it's basically a worse Gust Walker in black?
Yes! Tertiary in flying.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 11 months ago

11 months ago
Cythare wrote:
11 months ago
HMs: sporegorger_dragon for Boom Cannon
Mergatroid_Jones submitted the Boom Cannon.
Cythare wrote:
11 months ago
That said, it's basically a worse Gust Walker in black?
Yes! Tertiary in flying.
Thank you for correcting me on the first, and makes sense on the second. Just wanted to check!
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Megiddo
MEG

doesn't just have to be a winner! anything that anybody put as an IIW in the last 3 counts. Just tell me what they are.
MEG

chetoos

Red does that? and Unfiled: an office work themed unset

Caffeinated Goblin 2R
Creature - Goblin Worker
Haste
Whenever Caffeinated goblin deals combat damage to a player, it deals 1 damage to that player for each card they own in exile.
"COMEONJERRY,YOURENEVERGOINGTOGETAPROMOTIONIFYOULETYOUREMAILSPILEUPLIKETHAT!"
3/2

Krakens et al that don't live in water and Unfiled: an office work themed unset:

Ink-Reservoir Kraken UU
Art: An Ink Reservoir, with lots of tentacles, all covered in ink, emerging from it. On the paper nearby, they seem to form some kind of shape, maybe similar to one of the characters in the set?
Creature - Kraken
Trample
At the beginning of each combat, if Ink-reservoir Kraken is untapped, any opponent may tap an untapped artifact they control. If they do, tap Ink-Reservoir Kraken and create a clue token
2/3

Copier Octopus 2wu
Art: An office copier, with 8 tentacles emerging from it. Someone is approaching the flailing tentacles with trepidation, brandishing a piece of paper to be copied.
Creature - Octopus
WU, : Populate
3WU, : Create a token that's a copy of target nonland permanent you control, except the copy isn't legendary. Activate only if you control 8 or more tokens.
3/3

Last edited by chetoos 11 months ago, edited 3 times in total.

Mergatroid_Jones

Megiddo's Command
Choose Two:
Show
Hide
he-man and she-ra and the kingdom of grayskull
It ain't easy being a _____
characters compleated in March of the Machine
Salamander
White does that?
Unfiled, an office work themed unset.
Krakens, Leviathans, Octopodes, and Serpents that don't live in the water
don't make me think
Treefolk Hydra
*Artifacts with mana value 2
Red does that?
ghosts and/or tricks
*Exert
building blocks
Spooky ghosts and ghost stories (not necessarily as creatures)
*Larva of another creature

*: Victorious
(Sorry if I missed any, and feel free to correct me)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”