January CCL, Signups/Round 1: This Instant

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

January CCL Signups/Round 1

"This Instant"

cfc9a482ee0abf20d31cd1fea49c6889.jpg
Risk Factor, by Chris Seaman
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

Happy new year, everyone! This month, the CCL is doing noncreature mechanics -- we'll start with instants and sorceries.

Challenge
Design an instant or sorcery card with a new or existing mechanic that only goes on instants or sorceries.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • If you use an existing mechanic, it is fine if it has only gone on instants or sorceries -- you don't need to dig into the Comprehensive Rules to check on the precise wording. And feel free to ignore things like Mystery Boosters and Un-cards -- Innocuous Insect doesn't disqualify buyback.
  • If you make a new mechanic, be sure to include clear reminder text so that it is easy to understand how the mechanic works. Also, it should be fairly straightforward why that mechanic would only go on instants and sorceries.
  • For reference, here is a quick list of all the existing keyword abilities that I found that fit this challenge, although I don't want to guarantee that it is 100% complete (i.e., the absence of a keyword from this list should not be taken to indicate that it doesn't satisfy the challenge): buyback, flashback, storm, entwine, splice, epic, replicate, gravestorm, conspire, retrace, rebound, miracle, overload, cipher, fuse, awaken, escalate, aftermath, jump-start.
  • The mechanic doesn't need to be a keyword ability to satisfy the challenge, as long as it is clear what the mechanic is. So things like strive (an ability word), split cards (a rules concept), and adventure (a subtype of instants and sorceries) would all work.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Tuesday, January 7th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (January 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (January 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due January 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (January 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due January 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (January 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due January 29th)
  • Final (End of month, winner determined by public poll)

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Deep Scratches 1G
Sorcery (U)
Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control.
Replicate 2R (When you cast this spell, copy it for each time you paid its replicate cost. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
"Yes, there are wild bears here in the nearby woods. If you encounter one, consider yourself lucky if a single claw hits you. Most often you will be hit by all claws."
—Takalor, elvish scout
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

Study the Gateways U
Sorcery (uncommon)
Coalesce 2UU (You can pay this card's coalesce cost to exile this from your hand. Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, if this is coalesced, you may pay it's mana cost to add this spell's effects to it.)
Draw a card.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Dimir's Grand Infiltration UB
Sorcery (Rare)
Transmute 1UB
Cipher
Surveil 5

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Rough Draft
Instant (Rare)
Look at the top 5 cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.
Retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card as an additional cost to cast it.)
Teferi recommended to his students that they try practicing their magic before they go out into the real world.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Witch's Treatment R
Sorcery (C)
Witch's Treatment deals 3 damage to target creature.
Mania (As this spell resolves, put it into its owner's library third from the top.)
People of Redcreek quickly ran out of witches to burn. The stakes continued to rise, however, night after night. Soon, the village was completely devoid of women.

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Crescent of Fire 2R
Sorcery (U)
Diffusion — This spell deals 1 less damage for each target beyond the first.
Crescent of Fire deals 3 damage to any number of target creatures.
"Many fire mages are wildly excessive. A candle will burn a castle down with proper fanning."
—Ryndu, Archmagi of the Red
Last edited by Icarii 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Twilight Ritual
Sorcery (Rare)
Return target creature or enchantment from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Retrace (You may cast this spell from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to its other costs.)
Last edited by Subject16 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Lost in Space (Uncommon)
2U
Instant
Diverge 4B (This spell is divergent if you cast it for 4B.)
Counter target noncreature spell. If this spell is divergent, destroy target creature instead.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 4 years ago

Spring's Bloom 2G
Sorcery (U)
Search your library for a basic land card and put that card onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library.

///

Winter's Withering 2RR
Sorcery (U)
Aftermath
Destroy target land. Tap each other land that player controls that shares a type with that land.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Calm Sky, Coming Storm 4UU
Sorcery--Arcane (Rare)
Create a 4/4 blue Dragon Spirit creature token with flying. Scry 4.
Splice onto Arcane 3UU
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Sacred Flame Convocation 4W
Instant (C)
Toil (This spell costs 1 less to cast for each creature you control that had a non-mana ability activated or triggered this turn.)
Exile target creature. You gain life equal to its toughness.
formerly willows

slimytrout

Round closes in 9 hours, and would love to get a few more entries, so hop on in if you have an idea!

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Propagate W
Sorcery (R)
Populate
Splice onto instant or sorcery 2W (As you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
/////
Prosper G
Sorcery (R)
Proliferate
Splice onto instant or sorcery 2G (As you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Rebloom g
Instant (c)
Untap target land.
Awaken 2 2g - (If you cast this card for 2g, also put two +1/+1 counters on target land you control and it becomes a 0/0 Elemental creature with haste. It's still a land.)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Translocation Test 3RR
Sorcery (R)
Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a nonland permanent card, create a token that's a copy of that permanent. If it's a creature, it gains haste until end of turn. Sacrifice it at end of turn. If it's an instant or sorcery card, copy that card and you may cast the copy without paying its mana cost. If it's a land card, exile it and repeat this process.
Jump-start
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Round is now closed. Please critique the six contestants below you on this list, looping to the top if necessary.

bravelion83
Gateways7
netn10
marioguy3
Ryder
Icarii
Subject16
Legend
Jimmy Groove
kwanyeegor-ii
barbecube
Ink-Treader
Henlock
void_nothing

Next round will be up shortly.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Ryder: (Witch's Treatment): Solid, and potentially powerful card depending on the deck. This is a unique take on the burn spell, so bonus points there. It could be upped a generic mana and would still be a well-designed card mechanically.

Icarii: (Crescent of Fire): A standard burn spell built in a different way. It's an okay card in most situations, but I adore the flexibility that could create a chain of damage. A little funky with damage doubler/reduction effects though.

Subject16 (Twilight Ritual): I do enjoy the name. I can't see mono black returning enchantments from the graveyard to the battlefield though.

Legend (Lost in Space): I think this card's name is also pretty cool, but the card itself is a little expensive (particularly on the divergent part; one less generic mana and the card becomes a solid constructed card, probably in the sideboard.

Jimmy Groove: (Spring's Bloom // Winter's Withering): Interesting synergy between the two modes allows the user to get both out in succinct turns. A little cheap on the Aftermath card considering it does a bit of work. Not broken though, and the design is still flavorfully excellent. Top 3 for you.

kwanyeegor-ii: (Calm Sky, Coming Storm): It's a card that is created. It's got some keywords on it that help it stand out. Blue creating dragons is mainly new, but that it's a spirit keeps it in the bounds of normal design. Potentially swingy card that tips the balance of a close dual if it resolves. Your opponent will assuredly not want this spell to resolve.

3rd place kwanyeegor-ii
2nd place Ryder
1st place Jimmy Groove
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Henlock
Show
Hide
I really like what Awaken does for this card. I wonder if it could be pushed up to Awaken 3.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Wacky card. Very high ceiling. I am a little concerned about it keeping the card on top of the library though. Costly enough to not be easy to abuse till late game, but there's definitely some power to still getting to draw the card you copy later.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Seems alright. Making the replicate cost red does feel right here.
Gateways7
Show
Hide
Seems potentially overpowered, and almost identical to splice, just with extra steps.
netn10
Show
Hide
Slapping all the Dimir mechanics on a single card is cute, to say the least. The surveil might need to be a little lower though. 4 would probably be safe.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
That's a lot of card selection. I imagine a graveyard focused deck would love this quite a lot. Hard to be sure of its power level.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. void_nothing
3. netn10

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Icarii
Show
Hide
Way overpowered, it's a strictly better Furious Reprisal AND a Precision Bolt AND an effect on par with Wrap in Flames, trading cowardice for any targets. Arc Lightning is the right power level. EDIT: I both misjudged and misread the card. I was sure it hit any targets. It's probably fine as it is. Apologies.
Subject16
Show
Hide
The card should be clearly WB instead of hybrid. Black can't return enchantments and White can't return creatures that didn't die on the same turn you cast the spell.
Legend
Show
Hide
Diverge is essentially a split card, unfortunately I can't see anything new that could be done with it.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Winter's Withering doesn't work. All lands share a type, it's "Land". You probably meant subtype, but still, it wouldn't matter much. Undercosted for Aftermath.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Splice is slightly undercosted, but overall - fair enough. Scry 4 is worth slightly more than 1 card. Cavalier of Gales approves.
barbecube
Show
Hide
Toil could be put onto anything, not just instant/sorceries, sorry, that's a DQ for me. Other than that, I think the ability is too hard to reasonably benefit from in Limited and therefore unprintable.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. Icarii
3. Jimmy Groove
Last edited by Ryder 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
bravelion83 - This feels remarkably like a Modern Horizons card, which is not a complaint. I like the use of off-color replicate here, as it's an effect that can go in both colors but feels more red the more often it's repeated. Long-winded flavor text slightly turned me off.

Gateways7 - Coalesce is neat but is ultimately really similar to splice. That makes this card also really similar to, well, just a hard to deal with enchantment, and since casting it on its lonesome seems suboptimal that's kind of what this card will wind up being (basically an enchantment with cycling), which feels slightly against the spirit of the challenge although it fits with the letter.

netn10 - Damnably clever for a card whose main effect "does nothing." Surveil 5 for two mana is not ideal but doing it repeatedly is a great way to fill your graveyard and/or dig for value, and the transmute is the icing on the cake. Ultimately a nicely weaselly simple yet versatile card using all the Dimir mechanics. However, surveil 5 over and over seems like a potential time waster.

marioguy3 - A flavorful card on its own with a mechanic that doesn't necessarily fit that flavor (due to the Shadowmoor connection of retrace), I like how this card throws away presumably chaff lands in order to get more valuable cards out of more chaff in your library. However it suffers from the same game delay problems as netn10's entry.

Ryder - Flavor text makes sense for the card, although in Magic "witch" is a gender-neutral term and it's pretty uncomfy to see a flavor text about mass femicide. Mania is an interesting mechanic that, bluntly, risks reducing variance too much, especially on a piece of one-mana removal.

Icarii - I'm not sure how much design space there is for diffusion but it's interesting as, of all things, a strive variant. I just like this card as a card.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Icarii
2. bravelion83
3. marioguy3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

barbecube - Amazing card but maybe a little undercosted

Ink-Treader - Splice plus split is a lot lol. Still this card is amazing especially with the one word texts.

Henlock - Super "obvious" but flavorful card, like that one of the modes can just be a 2/2 haste on turn 3

void_nothing - Really wordy but interesting card that can't whiff, nice

bravelion83 - Might be too efficient, five mana to remove 2 creatures is great and there are other ways to cast this

Gateways7 - Coalesce seems great, reminds me of whispers of the muse, all in all a good card but super simple

Top 3
1 barbecube
2 ink-treader
3 voidnothing
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Subject16:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
This is a simple and elegant deign that makes a lot of sense, except it probably wouldn't be a hybrid. Mono black reviving enchantments doesn't feel right. Missed opportunity for flavor text, because as is, the card feels generic.
Legend:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
So this is an alternative to split cards. I could see Diverge being a thing if the abilities added mechanically somehow, if diverging the spell felt more like a kicker variant of some kind, but as is the card offers two distinct effects that could just be a split card. I don't see how diverge is distinct. The card is balanced well and offers a good contrast of abilities. Flavor wise I can see why you want to use the term diverge though.
Jimmy Groove:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
A well understood narrative here. The balance seems about right. The mechanical addition of tapping on the red half makes the card feel fresh when otherwise it would of been generic. LD isn't the most fun, but a bit like this at 4cc feels safe. Good work.
kwanyeegor-ii:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
This card could really use some flavor text! I want the story that ties in the scry. As is, the scrying feels like an odd tack-on to justify this as blue. Mechanically it does help dig for another arcane spell to splice onto though. Then numbers on this card feel a little inelegant, but not "wrong". Casting this for 6 doesn't feel good, and adding 5 mana to the cost of other spells is tough, but doable in control. The overall concept behind this card is there, but the execution feels off to me. This would feel better to me creating smaller tokens with a smaller scry for a smaller cost.
barbecube:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Toil doesnt seem like a mechanic that could ever be at common, so this automatically brings the card down for me. The effect outside of that is pretty generic, as is the flavor. Flavor text could push this card further, but as is toil just feels bad, as counting triggers is not something Id want to ask newer players to do.
Ink-Treader:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
This card is very interesting to me. It plays well with tokens and counters in colors the really enjoy doing both, often in tandem together. The flavor of the names goes a long way to helping this card out, since there inst room for flavor text. It does feel subtly powerful and justified at rare. Good combination of mechanics that probably wouldn't be in the same standard set, but could be in a commander/modern product. Overall very good.
Top 3
1: Ink-Treader
2: Jimmy Groove
3: kwanyeegor-ii

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Really I haven't done these yet? I could have sworn I did them. Ok, then here you go.

Done.
Gateways7
Show
Hide
Gateways7 wrote:
4 years ago
Study the Gateways U
Sorcery (uncommon)
Coalesce 2UU (You can pay this card's coalesce cost to exile this from your hand. Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, if this is coalesced, you may pay it's mana cost to add this spell's effects to it.)
Draw a card.
I wonder where the card name comes from... Seriously, this is just a better version of splice, and what splice would very probably be if designed today. The high coalesce cost is totally justified: turning any spell of yours into a cantrip is huge... Very powerful, even if it might not appear so. Overall, not bad.
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Dimir's Grand Infiltration UB
Sorcery (Rare)
Transmute 1UB
Cipher
Surveil 5
Ok, I love mix-and-match cards, but I have my limits too! (Or at least I like to think I have them...). Let's ignore the missing full stop at the end of the surveil line. I understand this is every Dimir mechanic on a single card, and I guess part of a ten-card cycle, one for every guild. The Boros one will need to have a radiance ability, a battalion ability, and a mentor ability... That's to say that there are easier ones to do and harder ones. You've chosen one of the former. I am curious if this really fits it all in the M15 frame with reminder text... *checks* obviously not. Eleven lines plus two breaks is microtext. I like the idea, but I'm not sure if it leads to good designs once executed.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
4 years ago
Rough Draft
Instant (Rare)
Look at the top 5 cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.
Retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card as an additional cost to cast it.)
Teferi recommended to his students that they try practicing their magic before they go out into the real world.
"5" should be written out, but sure. This is a good card. Let's talk flavor for a moment: I know Teferi has been a student in the old Tolarian Academy, but is he a teacher now? Is there a time when he has been a teacher in the past? If so, I can't remember it. This card is for sure not set today, I think today Teferi has more pressing matters in the Gatewatch. Overall: good mechanically, a few doubts on the flavor.
Ryder
Show
Hide
Ryder wrote:
4 years ago
Witch's Treatment R
Sorcery (C)
Witch's Treatment deals 3 damage to target creature.
Mania (As this spell resolves, put it into its owner's library third from the top.)
People of Redcreek quickly ran out of witches to burn. The stakes continued to rise, however, night after night. Soon, the village was completely devoid of women.
Ok, this card is perfect in every way I can think of. Even the 3 damage/third from the top for aesthetics. The flavor text that tell a whole story in a few lines, and a perfect card concept from a holistic point of view. My only remark is one I personally woudn't mind about, but they do: repetitivity of play. Having a whole mechanic (so presumably 10-20 cards) of cards that put themselves back third from the top can definitely lead there. But as I said, I don't really mind that. My Spike part demands that the variance be decreased! Really, it's hard to do better than this. Not impossible, but very hard.
Icarii
Show
Hide
Icarii wrote:
4 years ago
Crescent of Fire 2R
Sorcery (U)
Diffusion — This spell deals 1 less damage for each target beyond the first.
Crescent of Fire deals 3 damage to any number of target creatures.
"Many fire mages are wildly excessive. A candle will burn a castle down with proper fanning."
—Ryndu, Archmagi of the Red
So, 3 damage to one creature, 2 to each of two creatures, 1 to each of three creatures, nothing happens if you target more than three creatures. I started being like "this is absurd", but now I have to say that the rate has definitely been thought about, and I like it. The mechanic looks pretty narrow to me though. I can't think of a lot of effects to pair it with. Overall: good idea, maybe a bit too narrow.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
4 years ago
Twilight Ritual
Sorcery (Rare)
Return target creature or enchantment from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Retrace (You may cast this spell from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to its other costs.)
You bend in white for creature and black for enchantments, but both are mere bends and not breaks in any way. I like this card, it works, it's rightly high costed, and at a high rarity. It just doesn't excite me because it's not splashy (here's my Timmy part)but it's definitely functional. I wonder if it would have been better at the same mana cost, but as a gold card instead of hybrid.
Top 3

1st place: Ryder
2nd place: Subject16
3rd place: Gateways7
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

voidnothing: Looks really fun. I think the jump-star plus the natural repetitivity of the effects is a bit too powerful, but at the same time it elevates the floor, which is what tends to scare people away these kind of effects.

bravelion: A rabid bite with an off color replicate. Vety powerful indeed, as green doesn:t have much trouble at splashing mana of any color. In limited, it's not unlikely that you end up blowing three other creatures with just one card if the board gets stally.

Gqteways7:I look at your card and I feel it is destined to be broken in half. Such a stream of cards largely unimpeded for 2uu as the only investment is indeed too powerful. Instants providing gamelong advantages is a bit problematic for the lack of possible answers by most colors and seems problematic to keep track of if multiple Coalesce effects are going on.

netn10- This is a weird card but very effective at finding things. Anything CMC 2 gets tutored and the cipher means that you're quite likely to be surveying as much as 10 if you're needing something else. I am a bit worried about its graveyard-filling capabilities, which seem wonderful. I think this might need some balancing to keep it from being tio effective.

marioguy: While slow, this is actually a very solid retrace enabler by itself. Blue and red have a very nice assortment of retrace effect for this to be played with, but with more support this would fit more solidly somewhere.

Ryder: This offers repeteability at tje cost of being telegraphed. I imagine this mechanic would play very well in a decision-making level, serving as a rattlesnake or giving the chance to your opponent to make it pointless. ai like it

1. Marioguy
2. Ryder
3. voidnothing

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”