[THB] Mothership Spoiler: Thassa's Oracle

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-01-07
ImageImage
behold the wordiest card in the set!
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Last edited by CommanderMaster999 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

Reading this was an adventure of it's own. Some nice incentive to go into blue devotion, works well with Thassa- WIN THE WHAT!?!?

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

This card is going to redefine cedh almost for sure.

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Excuse me? How dare you make the game end, instead of allowing me to durdle ad nauseam, as is my birthright!

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I've always hated Laboratory Maniac in any deck that I would personally make, as it's a Grizzly Bears for 3 mana for most games, until you've already managed to combo off. Meaning it's literally the worst card you can draw during a game.

This on the other hand actually does something AND unlike Laboratory Maniac which requires a draw card to make effective, this contains it's own way to win with no library.
Also even if people have creature removal, because it's a trigger that goes on the stack, you can still win even if it get's removed. With X=0 you don't even need any blue devotion to meet the criteria, as long as you literally have no cards in library.
I've managed to stop opponents from winning by killing or bouncing the Laboratory Maniac in response to their draw card...not so anymore.

Laboratory Maniac is set to become relegated to the trash can, as most builds literally only require the one win condition, and although Jace, Wielder of Mysteries is an option, because this costs only 2 mana and not 4 AND it's a creature for the purposes of Dread Return for those decks that mill library, this is set to be the go to "no library wins".
Laboratory Maniac day is done and price will basically plummet.

Drusus

Post by Drusus » 4 years ago

So what it actually does is Scry X with X being your devotion to blue but you only get to keep one card on top. Then if you scryed your whole deck, you win the game.

I really love this as I was already working on a Thassa, Deep-Dwelling deck. I usually run a Paradigm Shift anyway as its actually really useful way to recover your cards in graveyard. Also when using it to experiment with commanders like Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and Kami of the Crescent Moon. Alongside typical cards like Selective Memory and Mana Severance. Although I don't think Thassa's Oracle could really be run in my current Kami or Jace iterations that I worked on as the devotion to blue is fairly low, about 3-6 on average, as its very reliant on rocks and instants and sorceries, especially when considering after a Mana Severance in the Jace deck I would typically have 10-13 remaining cards on average.

The greedy part of me does wish Thassa's Oracle was a legendary creature.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

It certainly does feel legendary. I'm surprised it wasn't Keneossos from the original Theros flavor text

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”