[THB] Kiora Bests the Sea God (TCC)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

DAMN. Now that's a haymaker of a saga.
Last edited by Rumpy5897 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Nice saga

Loved the bonus story telling on how kiora got the trident from thassa

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

...Thassa let this story continue on in her followers' memories?
Last edited by Serenade 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Maluko
Answers: 1

Post by Maluko » 4 years ago

This is a deceptively very powerful finisher. First, you create an hexproof Kraken. Then you get rid of all blockers. And to finish the deal, you can gain control of whatever blocker your opponent just cast. In other words, this card can effectively deal 16+ damage under average circumstances. For seven mana. Amazing for Standard Control and Midrange decks, and, of course, Commander.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
Right? Then again, there are similar myths told in Meletis of Callaphe defeating Thassa which actually appear to be Heliod propaganda

Kiora did not best Thassa either. Running away like a coward and never returning to Theros isn't winning. Especially when Thassa spares Kiora multiple times during their fight just to f with her not knowing Kiora could leave the plane. Thassa mopped the ocean floor with Kiora multiple times just for show and nearly suffocated and decapitated her

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Yeah, big Kiora bias here. Kiora "won" in that she stole the bident, which was her goal, right? Plus she embarassed Thassa in doing it. The gods hate that!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

For those that care, official source is:
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
I don't think the gods have that much control over the thoughts and memories of their followers. If they did, Ajani evangelizing a rejection of the gods wouldn't have been a plot point. The pantheon could've just put the kibosh on that.
Jace wrote:
4 years ago
Kiora did not best Thassa either. Running away like a coward and never returning to Theros isn't winning. Especially when Thassa spares Kiora multiple times during their fight just to f with her not knowing Kiora could leave the plane. Thassa mopped the ocean floor with Kiora multiple times just for show and nearly suffocated and decapitated her
Just because Kiora didn't win doesn't mean Thassa didn't lose.

And Kiora not returning to Theros doesn't mean much, considering she has no reason to return. Except maybe to return Thassa's stolen property, but I doubt Kiora is considerate enough for that.

Drusus

Post by Drusus » 4 years ago

I know of a few decks I have that I can slot this into, I'm a happy camper.

Jace

theMarc wrote:
4 years ago
Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
I don't think the gods have that much control over the thoughts and memories of their followers. If they did, Ajani evangelizing a rejection of the gods wouldn't have been a plot point. The pantheon could've just put the kibosh on that.
Jace wrote:
4 years ago
Just because Kiora didn't win doesn't mean Thassa didn't lose.

And Kiora not returning to Theros doesn't mean much, considering she has no reason to return. Except maybe to return Thassa's stolen property, but I doubt Kiora is considerate enough for that.
Can't disagree with that. Valid points. I think Thassa being outmaneuvered and embarrassed may be victory enough since embarrassing a God is about the only thing a mortal could do to them. Just look at the art, the Theros gods literally dominate the horizon I can't imagine a moral standing a chance to do anything otherwise.

I actually wondered if Kiora would venture back to Theros and return the Bident out of guilt or maturity. If you think about it, Kozilek Truly taught her a lesson in humility and hubris and I imagine she will never forget. And frankly that much power in the hands of someone as irresponsible as her is rather concerning. She seemed very reckless with the weapon and endangered many lives and the entire operation on her home world through her actions

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Jace wrote:
4 years ago
Can't disagree with that. Valid points. I think Thassa being outmaneuvered and embarrassed may be victory enough since embarrassing a God is about the only thing a mortal could do to them. Just look at the art, the Theros gods literally dominate the horizon I can't imagine a moral standing a chance to do anything otherwise.
Yeah, I think this is important to remember. The only real opposition the Gods ever faced to their rule was from the Titans, and we know how that turned out. The idea that a mere mortal could stand up to a god, face them in actual combat, and do something other than just die, is a pretty big change from the status quo. It makes sense that people would be talking that up.
I actually wondered if Kiora would venture back to Theros and return the Bident out of guilt or maturity. If you think about it, Kozilek Truly taught her a lesson in humility and hubris and I imagine she will never forget. And frankly that much power in the hands of someone as irresponsible as her is rather concerning. She seemed very reckless with the weapon and endangered many lives and the entire operation on her home world through her actions
There's definitely room here for a compelling character arc, especially since you can draw parallels between Kiora's ego and the Theran gods' egos.

Jace

theMarc wrote:
4 years ago
Jace wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, I think this is important to remember. The only real opposition the Gods ever faced to their rule was from the Titans, and we know how that turned out. The idea that a mere mortal could stand up to a god, face them in actual combat, and do something other than just die, is a pretty big change from the status quo. It makes sense that people would be talking that up.
There's definitely room here for a compelling character arc, especially since you can draw parallels between Kiora's ego and the Theran gods' egos.
To be fair the godss were not familiar with planes walkers and had no idea that they could just leave the entire world. I think if the sea God had known that she wouldn't have toyed and messed around with Kiora but actually killed her on site which we can all agree she was more than capable of doing. Why bother put on the show if you know your enemy can escape. This is why I suspect Helios was so determined to kill his champion. Because planes walkers were wreaking havoc on his turf between becoming false gods and stealing divine weapons and creating nightmares. It makes sense that planes walkers have a bad reputation with the gods. A similar myth of defeating the sea god was told about Callaphe as well

I agree that it would be an interesting follow up to develop Kiara's character more. She doesn't seem to have much of a purpose after saving her home world. So wherever journey takes her now it would be interesting. I could see her in the future returning to Theros And abandoning the responsibility of her God weapon. Alternatively we could have the new planes Walker hunt her down and try to retrieve it

Max Rebo
Husband of Serra

Post by Max Rebo » 4 years ago

So awesome in every way...............except.......a better worded Card Name.
"Kiora Bests the Sea God" seems juvenille or ......just.... not...... eloquent enough i guess.
I can't think of anything better but for a Card I want to see and use, I hate the name.

Jace

Max Rebo wrote:
4 years ago
So awesome in every way...............except.......a better worded Card Name.
"Kiora Bests the Sea God" seems juvenille or ......just.... not...... eloquent enough i guess.
I can't think of anything better but for a Card I want to see and use, I hate the name.
Theft of the Bident or "Kiora Opposes/Defies the Sea God" or "Divine Opposition" idk but there are more elegant options.'it's a cool enough name though

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

Alternate name: The Humiliation of Thassa
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

this is a powerful finisher, or at least would help turn the game around if it stays for at least two turns.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

How many people will attack with the creature they steal in the third verse at the pre-release? The fact that it untaps it yet does not grant haste will throw off a lot of people.

PS: about the name, since it is a saga from Theros, one would think the saga would be told knowing the name of the sea god and not knowing the name of Kiora. So it should at least be named "Thassa Bested by Sea-Folk" or something.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”