Master Warcraft

cryogen
GΘΔ†
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Master Warcraft

So it has just come to my attention that this card doesn't work the way I think it does, and I just want some clarification here.

Based off 508.1 being broken down into multiple steps, specifically 1a being to declare what is attacking and 1b being to decide whom the creature(s) are attacking in the event of multiple choices such as planeswalkers or multiplayer games, and the 4/1/2008 Oracle ruling, my assumption is that in a multiplayer game I would at the beginning of combat cast this, then the following happens:

I choose WHAT is attacking
Active player chooses WHO is getting attacked
I choose WHO can block, as applicable

(Onviously check for legality during all this)

Is this accurate and I've been playing it wrong the whole time by also choosing who gets attacked?

Accepted Answer

by user_938036 » 4 years ago
You are now correct. In the event that a choice of who to attack is available the attacking player gets to decide who is being attacked.

In the same vein you don't get to order blockers the attacking player does this as well. The card makes you think you control all aspects of combat but it is surprisingly limited.
Go to full post
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

You are now correct. In the event that a choice of who to attack is available the attacking player gets to decide who is being attacked.

In the same vein you don't get to order blockers the attacking player does this as well. The card makes you think you control all aspects of combat but it is surprisingly limited.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago

Well that stinks. I'm not concerned about the blockers, because it's always been to make one person swing at another person who is now defenseless, but the attacking past has me a bit perturbed. Thanks for the confirmation!
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

DrSeaMonster
Pronoun: they / them

Post by DrSeaMonster » 4 years ago

Brutal Hordechief is closer to the sort of effect you were looking for, and this is for your Mathas deck, right? So it's the right colors.
Please do not post about strategy or deckbuilding in Rulings. - v_n
Abzan aligned, Timmy/Johnny with a Vorthos activated ability.

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”