[THB] M.Wakatsuki/aisha ‏Twitter Spoiler: Thassa, Deep-Dwelling

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Source:

ImageImage

Kinda surprised this thread wasn't made yet, since it was added to the spoiler gallery earlier today. Card looks interesting, though I prefer the Scry on the original card more.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

I'm liking the soulherder ability. This card I must really get some, at least two. Hopefully, the price won't be too high.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

This is (so far) the only of the showcase arts I actively want. they all look nice, but this one is best imo
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Jace
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

Most beautiful depiction of Thassa. Zack Stella was
Perfect for this commission

I'm confused about why she has the Bident on the constellation art and it's missing in her regular art. She seems to be carrying a spear now, but it doesn't look divine

I wish she cost 3 cmc and I do miss the scry as well.
The activated ability being redundant with Thassa's ire hurts a bit since I'd like a Unique ability for her this time

Mapccu

Post by Mapccu » 4 years ago

Pretty good, she triggers at end step so you can use immediate flicker effects before her for multiple triggers a turn if possible.

Her not hitting enchantments too is kind of a flavor miss for me, she could have blinked her new enchantment to oblivion to great effect.

I don't see any cohesive gameplay between her triggered ability and activated ability, which is a shame because heliod gels so well (ballista silliness aside).

Art is great, I'm loving it.

I think she'll slot into the 99 for UW flicker edh decks. Probably better than conjurer's closet on most board states because she can be a beater after devo.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Mapccu wrote:
4 years ago
Pretty good, she triggers at end step so you can use immediate flicker effects before her for multiple triggers a turn if possible.

Her not hitting enchantments too is kind of a flavor miss for me, she could have blinked her new enchantment to oblivion to great effect.

I don't see any cohesive gameplay between her triggered ability and activated ability, which is a shame because heliod gels so well (ballista silliness aside).

Art is great, I'm loving it.

I think she'll slot into the 99 for UW flicker edh decks. Probably better than conjurer's closet on most board states because she can be a beater after devo.
Also that it's indestructable

But on the higher note

It has the act of treason esque effect trick on her

Flicker the creature you stole with thassa it comes back in as a new object thus forgetting the effect exist and you get to keep it indefiniateky just like with cloudshift (and yes you can shoot it before the turn ends with thassa)

Mapccu

Post by Mapccu » 4 years ago

Ahh true, missed that it says under your control and not it's owners. That's nifty for UR decks for sure.

AvalonAurora
Pronoun: they / them

Post by AvalonAurora » 4 years ago

Jace wrote:
4 years ago
I'm confused about why she has the Bident on the constellation art and it's missing in her regular art. She seems to be carrying a spear now, but it doesn't look divine
Bident was stolen by Kiora. Maybe Thassa is closely tied to it enough that she can't use a different major divine artifact, or hasn't had the time and resources to get her hands on a worthy one yet? Having the constellation still have it makes sense if it's an old depiction of her painted on a ceiling or something.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

AvalonAurora wrote:
4 years ago
Jace wrote:
4 years ago
Bident was stolen by Kiora. Maybe Thassa is closely tied to it enough that she can't use a different major divine artifact, or hasn't had the time and resources to get her hands on a worthy one yet? Having the constellation still have it makes sense if it's an old depiction of her painted on a ceiling or something.
Or the Theros constellations are already established and she's always been known to carry one.
I'm surprised devotion or Purphoros didn't just forge her a new one. Either way, the artist mentioned he was tasked with inventing a new weapon for her, and chose a Grecian fishing spear. I wish we had actual lore to know more, but it doesn't appear Thassa even has a short blurb. So we may end up learning nothing...

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

I wasn't expecting an indestructible Conjurer's Closet this set, but my Mairsil, the Pretender sure as hell ain't complaining.

Mr_Webman

Post by Mr_Webman » 4 years ago

I like her! The only problem I have is that her static ability and her activated ability have basically no synergy with each other, unlike the other mono-colored gods.
Known as TheGodOfWar91 on MTGSalvation

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

the blink is cool but she seems weaker than the other ones

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”