Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 11 months ago

CCL May Top 4/Round 3

"Hostile Lands"

Goldmire Bridge, taken from Original Magic Art, by Aaron Miller and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Enemy Colors Month here in the CCL. Designs this month will focus on pairing the colors whose philosophies typically oppose each other, but which throughout Magic's history have combined for powerful designs nevertheless.

Challenge
Design a land card that can tap for mana of exactly two different enemy colors.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
Contestants:
@slimytrout
@netn10
@MonoRedMage
@Henlock
Your submissions are due Friday, June 2nd, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (May 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (May 14th-20th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due May 22nd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (May 29th–June 2nd)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due May 28th)
  • Final (June, winner determined by public poll)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 11 months ago

Mount Silverhollow
Legendary Land - Mountain {R}
(T: Add R.)
Mount Silverhollow enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add CU. Activate only if an artifact entered the battlefield under your control this turn.
5, T: Investigate. Mount Silverhollow deals 1 damage to each planeswalker your opponents control.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 11 months ago

Rootwrapped Tomb
Land (R)
t: Add C.
T: Exile target card from an opponent's graveyard. Add B.
T: Exile target card from your graveyard. Add G.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Quick reminder to @netn10 and @Henlock - this round's due date is tomorrow but I can extend if needed.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10

Post by netn10 » 11 months ago

I'm not sure if this fulfills the requirement. Please let me know if it isn't.

Experimental Chamber
Land (Rare)
T, Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you don't control: Add GG.
2U, T, Remove a +1/+1 counter from target creature you don't control: Draw a card. At the beginning of your next main phase, add U.
Ravnican society cannot progress without Simic, and Simic cannot progress without humanity.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

One more ping for @Henlock - the due time for this round is in less than 11 hours now, but once again, it's no problem for me to offer an extension.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 11 months ago

Artillery Museum
Land (u)
Artillery Museum enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or to your mana pool.
: Put Artillery Museum from your hand onto the battlefield. Activate as a sorcery.
Last edited by Henlock 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I would close the round at this point but seeing as @Henlock's card doesn't actually fit the challenge of this round I'll extend a little more time for editing.

Henlock

My bad. i designed as an example of a cycle and just chose any combination without heeding the challenge. Sorry.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

No worries - I'll close the round now. Everyone please critique all the others and arrange them into a T3!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Quick reminder to all contestants:

@slimytrout
@netn10
@MonoRedMage
@Henlock

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 11 months ago

1 - Henlock
2 - netn10
3 - slimytrout

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Reminder to @slimytrout @netn10 and @Henlock - please get at least a T3 in ASAP!

netn10

Post by netn10 » 11 months ago

Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: MonoRedMage
2nd: slimytrout
3rd: Henlock

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 11 months ago

MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
I don't quite get the flavor here -- artifacts, investigate, and planeswalkers are all involved somehow, but it's not really clear why. I'm pretty worried about the ability to add two mana -- in lots of decks this is basically just a free Ancient Tomb that also adds blue mana -- but otherwise the mechanics are alright.
netn10
Show
Hide
Unfortunately this card doesn't really work as written, since you can't have targets as part of paying a cost. If you move the targetting abilities until after the colon (so that they're part of the ability and not the cost) then you get an interesting card -- it's pretty busted against creature decks (in a lot of decks an extra mana is well worth putting a counter on an opponent's creature) but against creatureless decks it can't even tap for mana.
Henlock
Show
Hide
I like this. Nice and clean and simple.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. netn10
3. MonoRedMage

Henlock

Monoredmage: Lots of stuff happening here. The planeswalker pinging is a classical red effect, The investigating and artifact synergy are quite in blue's boat. On producing more than one mana, This checks the box.of not be able to do it on turn 1 by CIPT, but getting a stream of artifacts to abuse this is quite easy.

Slimytrout: I am not sure how this works. You need a target to use the ability, but does this mean this is not a mana ability and goes to the stack? Rules aside, this is quite clean and very flavorful for Golgari, so it doesn't really looks like a part of the cycle. Depending on cards in graveyards as a resource for fixing seems steep enough, but the value of having graveyard hate at the ready greatly offsets that.

Netn10: On producing more than one mana, this can do it on turn one but provided an opponent has a creature there. The second ability is a bit odd in producing mana later. One of the things I don't like about this design is that it relies entirely on your.opponent having a creature to be useful.

1. Slimytrout
2. Monoredmage
3. Netn10

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And slimytrout and Henlock are our finalists! Final round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”