[ELD] Rosewater Panel at SDCC

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

bb84Prez wrote:
4 years ago
I assume the Collector Boosters will only be on the Hasbro store/Ebay store/or whatever platform they want to destroy this round :) In all seriousness, at $20-25 a pop that is a lot of money! He didn't specify how many are in a box, but if we assume a 24-pack box @ $20 is $480!! The only positive is that you are getting at least 2 Rare/mythics and a 1-in-10 chance of getting a borderless planeswalker in the showcase slot [only 30 showcase cards as pointed out above, and there are 3 planeswalkers], so the value is likely there if you hit a good showcase or planeswalker.

The showcase cards remind me of the Aftermath cards from Amonkhet. Just looking at a template, you probably can only play the storybook part
only if it's on the battlefield on your turn like a sorcery and the right side is likely a basic static ability or trigger.
Theoretically you can get up to six rares/mythics in one of those boosters. In addition to the two guaranteed ones, you have three slots for the feature frame, each of which can be rares or mythics, and one for the "extra cards" not in regular boosters, which can be the BAB promo, or a card from a planeswalker deck, or a card from the new brawl decks, any of which can be rare/mythic.

As for their distribution, I have a feeling that they will get shipped in limited quantities to various shops around the world, to get around the ebay/HTS issues.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
R&D: Meanwhile, enjoy these mechanically unique cards in game night or whatever that supplemental product was called!
PLAYERBASE: Guys...
R&D: Also, enjoy these mechanically unique cards in preconstructed decks for a format that was dead on arrival! Gavin will write next week why we're shooting adrenalin up the shoulder of a corpse! Oh yeah and there's still buy-a-box promos that are unique!
You are forgetting the mechanically unique cards in the planeswalkers decks.
All the mechanically unique cards are now available in boosters though, so that complaint has been technically addressed.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

In 20 dollars upwards limited print run boosters. Yup. Solved.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

First sword of Bant

Post by First sword of Bant » 4 years ago

Lord_Mektar wrote:
4 years ago
what's not so great is the fact that they're still trying to get us to play Brawl for some reason, instead of formats which are actually good. I don't even play Arena, and I still feel bad that the devs were made to waste time implementing it instead of literally anything else.
Brawl is a pretty dead format in paper, but it is highly requested for Arena, since it's the next best thing to EDH we can hope for here.

bb84Prez

Post by bb84Prez » 4 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago

Theoretically you can get up to six rares/mythics in one of those boosters. In addition to the two guaranteed ones, you have three slots for the feature frame, each of which can be rares or mythics, and one for the "extra cards" not in regular boosters, which can be the BAB promo, or a card from a planeswalker deck, or a card from the new brawl decks, any of which can be rare/mythic.

As for their distribution, I have a feeling that they will get shipped in limited quantities to various shops around the world, to get around the ebay/HTS issues.
It would be nice if the big online outlets, that we all can name, will have some boxes. I don't need a whole box but I may just buy one pack for fun assuming it's not absurdly marked up from the "suggested" price that Maro indicated. I wonder if they would consider to have Amazon handle sales to see if their servers can handle to load.

gasmaskdandy

Post by gasmaskdandy » 4 years ago

I don't know what you nerds are talking about but this is dope. It won't be Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, it'll be a lot worse most likely. That said, it's not Bolas. The packs are w/e but I don't intend to buy them and I doubt they'll crater the market so it's not a big deal.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

bb84Prez wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago

It would be nice if the big online outlets, that we all can name, will have some boxes. I don't need a whole box but I may just buy one pack for fun assuming it's not absurdly marked up from the "suggested" price that Maro indicated. I wonder if they would consider to have Amazon handle sales to see if their servers can handle to load.
The load isn't the primary issue, the issue is that they all get sold out in five friggin' minutes when sold online.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Atraxian
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

What's worse is that after they are sold out you see them pop up again with an extra 0 at theend of the initial price.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Jace wrote:
4 years ago
The Plains, Swamp and Forest are so great. I just love it.
Much like Lorwyn being Guay's. Damn it, when will she return?

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

I'm going to guess at least one card a "sword of X and Y" mythic or rare rarity.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
I'm going to guess at least one card a "sword of X and Y" mythic or rare rarity.
Probably not. I hope not.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Istarkano

Post by Istarkano » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
I would seriously doubt it. At least it won't be one of the three allied swords remaining. Maro said that they did the two in Modern Horizons so they didn't have to worry about them affecting standard.
My EDH Decks
Show
Hide
Arcades the Strategist - Kefnet the Mindful - Heliod, God of the Sun - Valduk, Keeper of the Flame - Hallar the Firefletcher - Urza, Lord High Artificer

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

Istarkano wrote:
4 years ago
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
I would seriously doubt it. At least it won't be one of the three allied swords remaining. Maro said that they did the two in Modern Horizons so they didn't have to worry about them affecting standard.
If not an actual sword of x and y then some sort of powerful equipment to reference Excalibur
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

These Collector Boosters feel like the All-Foil Alara Boosters taken up to eleven. Let's see if these fare better.
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
As for the special alternate art frames. I thought WotC said they didn't want to make the same card in the same set with different art because it confused people. I am glad they changed their mind on this, I still remember the two to four different versions of the same cards we used to get in boosters in the old days (last set to do this was Alliances). But let's be honest, it was a silly reason, particularly considering the number of times certain cards have been printed with different art.
To be fair, the reasoning was a lot less silly back before everyone carried around a small computer in their pocket, and could just look up the entire set list online. Back in the days of Ice Age block, you generally only found out about a card by seeing it in person, so seeing different art, only for it to be a card you've seen before probably threw people for a loop. It was also likely a massive headache for collectors, since this was also in the days before collector numbers.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Jace wrote:
4 years ago
If she isn't in this set, then what are WOTC even doing?

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
Istarkano wrote:
4 years ago
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago

If not an actual sword of x and y then some sort of powerful equipment to reference Excalibur
I guess we'll also have some knight tribal

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

theMarc wrote:
4 years ago
These Collector Boosters feel like the All-Foil Alara Boosters taken up to eleven. Let's see if these fare better.
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
As for the special alternate art frames. I thought WotC said they didn't want to make the same card in the same set with different art because it confused people. I am glad they changed their mind on this, I still remember the two to four different versions of the same cards we used to get in boosters in the old days (last set to do this was Alliances). But let's be honest, it was a silly reason, particularly considering the number of times certain cards have been printed with different art.
To be fair, the reasoning was a lot less silly back before everyone carried around a small computer in their pocket, and could just look up the entire set list online. Back in the days of Ice Age block, you generally only found out about a card by seeing it in person, so seeing different art, only for it to be a card you've seen before probably threw people for a loop. It was also likely a massive headache for collectors, since this was also in the days before collector numbers.
As they were all commons, I didn't have that issue. But then again, I never had an issue with Banding either, and there are still people who played back then that have issue with it. :laugh:

I think the alternate frame will help with the issue though.

Yatsufusa

Post by Yatsufusa » 4 years ago

I actually like the Collector Boosters - it's basically a "Masters Edition" of the regular booster set it's released along-with. A whole lot more gimmicks and foils because unlike the "Masters Series", it essentially uses the same R&D team of the set it's derived from (plus Alara all-foils already failed once), so it needs those gimmicks.

Limited Print Run might hamper it, but there's a chance it's their terminology for "alpha/best test runs" more than anything else. I still cannot shake the feeling that the "Masters Series" was actually that for Modern Horizons (which does not have a Limited Print Run) because of some shareholder/suit was worried that Masters will undermine the bread-and-butter Standard Set sales back then, so the WotC had to pull the entire thing over the years to convince them otherwise.

Also, what happened to the "tournament-pack-lite" they were testing in US/Japan for the Ravnica "Block"? Judging by the lack of news about it from anywhere I can already guess its fate, but not even acknowledging it gives me a sour taste.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

MaRo wrote:You know how I have the occasional article chockful of new information about Magic that everyone's going to be talking about? Well, today's article is one of those.
Well, this is a self-fulfilling prophecy, because the thing that gets me most talking about this article is how it was supposed to be really big and I almost don't see a reason to care about it at all. It's just advertisement.

The key is that the existing game play isn't affected. Changing blocks had a significant impact on Standard size and Limited, but this is just about product that packages essentially the same cards without actual changes to the size of the card pool.

The one information of interest is about Brawl decks - which makes a statement about this format receiving continued support. Some like it. Some don't, but it's a new product and that product will likely by the nature of Brawl also be interesting for Commander players due to the (relatively...) exclusive cards - what do they call them again? Ah, yes, "ancillary".
Commander players will kinda get quintuple releases for cards that don't go through Standard if Brawl cards are designed with singleton/commander game play in mind (assuming every seasonal/auarterly set receives Brawl decks and we continue with annual Commander products and they are about equal in quality of cards they add for commander players - the lack of quantity might mean it's more doubling/tripling over the course of a year, but it's both an increase in quantity as well as frequency, which both actually is big news IMO).

But all that Brawl deck stuff? That was in a throwaway line and leaves the rest of the article as something that doesn't touch me. And maybe that's actually fine. In a way it's very good that I don't care about/mind/take not of the changes that are made to the product if the changes are made to cater to a different kind of customer. I don't get anything out of the booster changes, but that's fine if the part of the game I care about doesn't need to be changed in a detrimental way for that.

Businesses gotta experiment to improve, but the part that was not broken didn't get broken in the process. That's fine.

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

What rubs me the wrong way is that the article said that they are expanding player's agency in how to collect the cards AND recognizing that most of the cards in regular boosters are unexciting draft garbage...

Yet their "solution" is to add a "collector booster" that pretty much removes most of the garbage in the set, BUT is overpriced AND is a "limited print-run".

It is like they were saying: "we know that every set of MtG is filled with utter trash, but if you don't want opening the same horrible rares over and over again and be flooded with draft chaff, you can buy he Mythic Edition!"
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

SyntheticDreamer

Post by SyntheticDreamer » 4 years ago

Jace wrote:
4 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Jace wrote:
4 years ago
If she isn't in this set, then what are WOTC even doing?
Based on her Instagram, Rebecca Guay seems to be pretty busy as of late, but you never know. I sure wasn't expecting the return of Omar Rayyan in this set. Maybe we'll get a surprise or two.
Lapsed DCI Rules Advisor - Retired from playing but still hanging around

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

I don't think this is good
so what im looking at
buy a box so I can get all the commons
buy a fat pack so I get the checklist/booklet
then I have to buy 20$ packs to try and get additional rares?

this whole need 4 of each card thing is hard work. . .and now it just got exponential (maybe not exponential but I feel a Bernoulli equation for sure. . .for sure)

pokemon has a crazy rare system and I think mtg is trying to capitalize on such a thing. just like the introduction of the mythic rare. but does anyone think this will work? i would love to hear the economy on all this. . .but what i fear already is paying 20 for a pack and getting 10 back in card value. . .i think its going to lead to a lot of sad opening moments. this system already implies that they think the cards are going to be worth it. . .as if each rare is going to be value.

instead of going down they are going up.
magic is a hard game to get into. . .fiscally speaking. and instead of getting more. . .say 2 rares for 7 dollars. . .ugh. . .2 rares for 20$
i buy a box of each set (100$ +/-) and cross my fingers . . .because buying 4 of the top rare seems less (imo)
but you don't get 4 of the rare you need in that case, or the 4 of set of the rare land that is absolutely needed
(this is why brawl is a thing. . .buts that a different thread)
and now they added a whole other level with alt art/rarities. . .

eldraine looks super pretty though

Max Rebo
Husband of Serra

Post by Max Rebo » 4 years ago

Seems like we are approaching Pokemon level now.
4-5 different versions of cards?? ext art, borderless art, showcase (either foil or non-foil) spread over multiple different packaging with some exclusive only to that packaging. Ultra rare, Secret rare, Hyper Rare, Rare, Rainbow, Full Art, Black Star Promo........ Ugh..... I dont like it at all.
Should have just been Masterpieces and leave it at that.

First sword of Bant

Post by First sword of Bant » 4 years ago

As long as we are just talking about prettier versions of the regular cards, I'm fine with them intoducing as many special rarities as they want.
It gives collectors and pimpers more options while most players should be hardly affected by these changes (if at all, demand for special shiny cards should decrease prices for the regular versions, making them more available).

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

I just wish it didn't come at the expense of completely destroying regular promos.

Booster packs are already a bad gamble that people are more than willing to make, I imagine people will be doing the same for these, even though the possibility of them getting ripped off by it is there. The Collector booster doesn't even remove the garbage, there's still nine foil commons and they still won't be worth anything.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”