Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

CCL May Signups/Round 2

"Dabbling in the Exotic"

Simic Ragworm, taken from Game Lore Wiki, by Nick Percival and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Enemy Colors Month here in the CCL. Designs this month will focus on pairing the colors whose philosophies typically oppose each other, but which throughout Magic's history have combined for powerful designs nevertheless.

Challenge
Design a monocolored card with an activated ability that costs exactly one mana of one enemy color, or one monocolored hybrid mana of that color.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • For example, a monowhite card could have any activated ability with the following exact costs: B, {2/B}, {B/P}, R, {2/R}, or {R/P}. You could also come up with a new type of monocolored hybrid mana that could be paid with a single color or some other non-colored cost, similar to Phyrexian mana.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Saturday, May 20th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (May 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (May 14th-20th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due May 22nd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (May 23rd–26th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due May 28th)
  • Final (June, winner determined by public poll)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Thran Resources 3W
Enchantment - Aura (Rare)
Enchant artifact, creature, or planeswalker you control
Each permanent you control that shares a name or planeswalker type with enchanted permanent has lifelink.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put your choice of a charge, +1/+1, or loyalty counter on each permanent you control that shares a name or planeswalker type with enchanted permanent.
B: Each permanent you control that shares a name or planeswalker type with enchanted permanent gains infect until end of turn.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Peakshatter Templar 6R
Creature - Giant Knight {R}
Haste
When Peakshatter Templar enters the battlefield, target creature you control gains double strike until end of turn.
W: Return Peakshatter Templar to its owner's hand.
6/6

netn10

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Puppets and Masters 1R
Enchantment - Aura (Rare)
Enchant creature
You control enchanted creature.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Puppets and Masters.
U: Target permanent lose all abilities until end of turn.
The slave found freedom, enslaved his masters, then he himself was enslaved to the power. Was he a slave all along?
- Strixhaven's "Puppets and Masters" philosophy class.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Giving this thread a quick bump for visibility.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 year ago

Young Colossus 3R
Creature — Giant (R)
Trample
4GGG: Monstrosity 5 (If this creature isn't monstrous, put five +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
As long as Young Colossus is monstrous, it has "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, destroy target noncreature permanent that player controls."
4/3

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Okay, round is closed - please critique each other contestant, post a top 3, and make sure you do so for round 1 if you participated.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Lost track of this but given the low participation hope it's okay if I slide in:

Angel of the Flame 2WW
Creature - Angel (R)
Flying
Whenever another creature dies, Angel of the Flame gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
R: Angel of the Flame deals 1 damage to each other creature and each player. Activate only once each turn.
3/3

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Of course - slimytrout's entry is valid.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

May I slip in too?

Curling Spider 1gg
Creature - Spider (c)
Reach
: Switch Curling Spider's power and toughness until end of turn.
1/5

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Yes, please include Henlock's entry as well.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Top 3 -
1 - slimytrout
2 - netn10
3 - Henlock

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
This is just trying to do a bit too much. There are a few fun concepts rattling around here (affecting permanents with the same name, different counters for different card types, the fall of the Thran) but ultimately they compete with each other to make a card that doesn't quite make sense (most noncreature artifacts don't even benefit from lifelink and infect) and none of the aspects gets enough attention.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Nice! I like this very simple approach, and the balance between a low activation cost but a high casting cost.
netn10
Show
Hide
Huh. The flavor is a bit odd and doesn't feel much like Strixhaven, but the card is certainly pushing in some interesting directions -- hard for me to even really picture how this would be used.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Unfortunately this does not meet the challenge for this round (activation costs 7 mana, not 1) so is disqualified.
Henlock
Show
Hide
I personally don't think p/t switching is great at common given the complexity. I also think that this would be pretty annoying to interact in limited with since it's so hard to attack into or block well.
T3
Show
Hide
1. MonoRedMage
2. netn10
3. Henlock

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Thanks to those who have posted crits/top 3s - everyone else please get these in ASAP!

netn10

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: slimytrout
2nd: MonoRedMage
3rd: Henlock

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

1.slimytrout
2. Monoredmage
3. Netn10

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

And our top 4 contestants:

slimytrout
netn10
MonoRedMage
Henlock

Next round to come shortly!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”