genitedreijswhun
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 4 years ago

Ulka wrote:
4 years ago
Shining Aristrocrat 2WB
Creature - Human Noble (R)
Extravagant 2 ( This creature gets +2/+2 for each Treasure or Gold token you Control.)
Whenever another nontoken creature you control dies, create a Treasure token.
0/2

IIW: Odd Elementals
No need for this to be a keyword, especially when it refers to another mechanic. Otherwise straightforward and unproblematic.
4 years ago
Arena Charger 1RR
Creature — Minotaur Rogue (U)
Haste
Extravagant (When you cast ~, you may exile a card from your hand face down. You may play that card for as long it remains exiled face down.)
R, Unveil a card: ~ gets +X/+0 and gain first strike until end of turn, where X is the unveiled card's converted mana cost.
Don't show him red.
3/2

a maybe better alternative:

Arena Charger 1RR
Creature — Minotaur Rogue (U)
Haste
Extravagant 1 (When you cast ~, exile the top card of your library face down.)
R, Unveil a card: ~ gets +X/+0 and gain first strike until end of turn, where X is the unveiled card's converted mana cost.
Don't show him red.
3/2

IIW: Unveil is a a keyword action that means "turn a face-down card you own in exile face up".
Mechanic flavor is a miss, especially as the card is face down. You're not flaunting anything there! This reminds me of ingest, a mechanic that only fed another mechanic, and I hated ingest.
Cythare wrote:
4 years ago
Wizened Guard 2W
Creature - Human Soldier (U)
Extravagant 3WW (You may cast this for its extravagant cost. If you do, it's legendary.)
Vigilance
Wizened Guard gets +1/+1 and has first strike as long as it's legendary.
2/2

IIW: "more and more varied cards to provide avenues for planeswalker interaction outside the combat step"
I'd like to see this enter with a +1/+1 counter to help demarcate the legendary version, but otherwise this is real design space. It's not 100% a match for the ability name, but it evokes it reasonably.
wonderful wrote:
4 years ago
Prophet of the Wilds 1G
Creature - Elf Druid (R)
Extravagant (You may cast this card for WUBRG instead of for its regular cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with an extravagant counter on it, and it becomes extra.)
Play with the top card of your library revealed.
You may play the top card of your library if it's a land card.
As long as Prophet of the Wilds is extra, it gets +3/+3, and you may cast the top card of your library if it's a creature card.
2/1

iiw: equipments that are hats
damn gurl you extra

This effect on a body for two mana is extremely strong. I don't think you even care about the body being quite fragile since the investment is so low. The WUBRG kicker is perfectly fair.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
4 years ago
Return to return to return to Ravnica: The Orzhov have a mechanic based around sacrifice. It makes things big and plays into a Treasure + token theme.

Ornate Thrull
Extravagant (As this creature enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of nonland permanents. If you do, it enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it and is extravagant.)
Ornate Thrull has lifelink as long as it's extra.
2/1

Bedecked Collector 1WB
Creature - Human Cleric (U)
Extravagant (As this creature enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of nonland permanents. If you do, it enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it and is extra)
Whenever Bedecked Collector deals combat damage to a player, if it's extra, create a Treasure artifact token.
2/3

Gilded Angel WWBB
Creature - Angel (R)
Flying
Extravagant (As this creature enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of nonland permanents. If you do, it enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it and is extra)
Whenever Gilded Angel attacks, defending player loses life equal to its power and you gain that much life.
2/4

I stole the "extra" wording because it's nice. Don't @ me.

IIW: Return to return to return to Ravnica. Show me a new mechanic, or don't.
This is a mechanic that doesn't play with itself and is resource-intensive. Supporting a reasonable number of these cards will take up quite a bit of deck real estate, which doesn't leavee too much room for the player to make choices and tool it up. I think these cards would be nice as individual offerings, but not as a mechanic, but they're also quite hard to balance as you have to skirt the very fine line between overstatting for cost, and the cost being too punishing.
Ulka wrote:
4 years ago
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
wonderful wrote:
4 years ago
Rakdos sound like the Extravagant ones. I'm surprised multiple people are making it Orzhov in relation to Ravnica.
The Rakdos are all broke actors, in fact I think they're an accurate representation of Julliard students

Air Horner 2R
Creature - Goblin Artificer
Flash
If you or a Teammate make a quality jest, you may cast ~ without paying its Mana cost.
Whenever ~ enters the battlefield or becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to target creature and player.
1/1

Edit: It seems it missed my note of every time someone makes a jest in my family everyone makes bad airhorn noises. This made me think of this bad card at the rakdos julliard jest.
dudududdudududududududu
frogchild wrote:
4 years ago
Dance Party 3WB
Enchantment (R)
Creatures you own not on the battlefield have Extravagant (You may sacrifice a creature as an additional cost to cast this creature. If you do, it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it and has your choice of lifelink or deathtouch)

IIW: An energy commander
Incredibly ugly wording. Use Bloodlord of Vaasgoth technology and have the ability read "You may sacrifice another creature as this creature enters the battlefield" This one has the counter to mark it but then no distinction as to which ability you've chosen, which is pretty egregious on a card that grants it to any creature you play.

Winner: Cythare

Next episode of Real Housewives: "more and more varied cards to provide avenues for planeswalker interaction outside the combat step"

how meta
Club Flamingo Alumnus

SPOILER
Show
Hide

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 4 years ago

Spark Suppressor 1W
Creature — Kithkin Wizard {R}
Each loyalty ability costs an additional 1 to activate for each loyalty counter added or removed to pay for it.
2/2

IIW: The next banned card that R&D completely fail to catch in testing
MEG

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Megiddo wrote:
4 years ago
ok update I thought Void replied to me and not spacemonaut
you weren't wrong though I'm a mod elsewhere

I note that living and breathing the rules doesn't include having to read them at any point

I'm a good mod

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Void Nullifier 1C
Creature - Eldrazi (U)
If a planeswalker entering the battlefield would cause one or more loyalty counters to be put on that planeswalker, that many loyalty counters minus one are put on it instead.
1/2

IIW: Tasty (This creature can be attacked directly. If it is attacked, it can't block creatures that didn't attack it.)
Club Flamingo Alumnus

SPOILER
Show
Hide

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago

I note that living and breathing the rules doesn't include having to read them at any point

I'm a good mod
sighs

scratches spacemonaut's name off the secret list of future mod candidates
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Megiddo
MEG

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Megiddo wrote:
4 years ago

I'm a good mod
mood
MEG

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Megiddo wrote:
4 years ago

I'm a good mod
qft
Club Flamingo Alumnus

SPOILER
Show
Hide

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

wonderful

Post by wonderful » 4 years ago

Aether Thief BB
Creature - Aetherborn Rogue (R)
Whenever Aether Thief deals damage to another creature, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Sacrifice another creature: Remove all counters from target permanent. Activate this ability only once each turn.
1/3

iiw: a 3 (or 2) drop RB planeswalker

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Sparkleash Sphinx 3UU
Creature — Sphinx (Rare)
Flying
When Sparkleash Sphinx enters the battlefield, gain control of target Planeswalker an opponent controls for as long as Sparkleash Sphinx remains on the battlefield.
At the beginning of your end step, draw a card for each permanent you control but don't own.
"You came to my world without my consent. You assume to leave without it either?
3/3

IIW: Hammer Time. (A card that synergises with Hammer of Purphoros.)

Chemtrails

Post by Chemtrails » 4 years ago

Altac Belligerent 2R
Creature — Human Warrior (R)
Haste
Whenever an opponent activates an ability of a creature or planeswalker on the battlefield, Altac Belligerent deals 1 damage to that permanent.
3/2

IIW: A colored artifact.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 4 years ago

Similar to MTG Judges, reading the rules actually precludes you from being a good mod.

Cloak of Winter B
Instant (U)
Draw a card if an opponent has cast a planeswalker this turn. Planeswalkers can't have loyalty counters placed on them this turn. You and permanents you control gain protection from planeswalkers until end of turn.

IIW: draw a card if

Post by avatarz » 4 years ago

mellifluoresce wrote:
4 years ago
Mechanic flavor is a miss, especially as the card is face down. You're not flaunting anything there! This reminds me of ingest, a mechanic that only fed another mechanic, and I hated ingest.
Wait, it's extravagant because unpredictable. : (

The "Hark, Shark!"'s Publican 2UR
Legendary Creature — Human Rogue (R)
Prowess
At the beginning of your upkeep, gain control of target creature or planeswalker until end of turn. It gains haste until end of turn. If you do, create a Treasure token.
Go, and ask for his grog. An experience you will forget.
1/2

IIW: Unpredictable

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Applied Elkemy 1UG
Instant
Target creature or planeswalker that's blue or green becomes a green 3/3 Elk creature and loses all abilities. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)

Fashionably Late 3U
Instant
Counter target creature or planeswalker spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it on top of its owner's library instead of anywhere else.

Sparkgeist 1WB
Creature — Spirit
Flying, protection from planeswalkers
Whenever Sparkgeist deals damage to a creature or player, remove up to that many loyalty counters from among planeswalkers your opponents control.
1/1

Release to Aether 2UU
Instant
Return up to two target nonland permanents to their controllers' hands.

Pharika's Gorger 3BG
Enchantment Creature — Hydra
Trample
As Pharika's Gorger enters the battlefield, remove up to five counters from among nonland permanents. Pharika's Gorger enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each counter removed this way.
3/3

Double Agency UURR
Sorcery
Choose one —
• Exchange control of two target creatures. Put a +1/+1 counter on one of them.
• Exchange control of two target planeswalkers. Put a loyalty counter on one of them.
Entwine 2 (Choose both if you pay the entwine cost.)

Startling Absence 1WW
Instant
Exile target nonland permanent. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.

Muffle 2WU
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant nonland permanent
Flash
Activated abilities of enchanted permanent cost 2 more to activate.

Devourer Baloth 3GG
Creature — Beast
Trample
Whenever Reclaimer Baloth deals combat damage to a player, choose up to two —
• Destroy target artifact that player controls.
• Destroy target enchantment that player controls.
• Destroy target emblem that player controls.
4/4

IIW: Nonland cards that can add three or more mana.
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 12 times in total.

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 4 years ago

Brittle Scales 1B
Enchantment
If a counter would be placed on a permanent you don't control after it enters the battlefield and it's already had a counter of that type put on it this turn, no counters are placed on that permanent instead.
A little awkward wording to allow for planeswalkers to enter with their correct number of counters, but it does help limit the bigger plusses.

IIW: Uncommon walkers from war of the spark upshifted to rare.

ForestsCarl

Post by ForestsCarl » 4 years ago

Fires of Treachery 2R
Sorcery (R)
Fires of Treachery deals up to 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker. Gain control of that creature or planeswalker, untap it and it gains haste until end of turn.

IiW
Falling in love

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 4 years ago

Hello and good luck

Megiddo - I like this more after taking a second to think about it - it's somewhat similar to Propaganda in that early on, it forces you to choose how you develop your board/provide pressure, but whose effectiveness dwindles late game when players need mana sinks. That being said, in many cases, it's still really good fairly late-game at stopping someone from using an ultimate, which is neat.
mellifluoresce - A neat colorless speed bump! This would probably be a rare in a draft set without an ability that doesn't relate to planeswalkers, but it's reasonable otherwise.
wonderful - I'm not sure if this is too strong or not. Being able to knock out a planeswalker every turn (assuming a steady supply of creatures) feels like a lot. I feel like there's another knob I want to turn here, but the idea is there.
Subject16 - I'm not a huge fan of a planeswalker-only steal trigger. I wish it was more like Dragonlord Silumgar.
Chemtrails - Cute! Punish the audacity of Mother of Runes! This is a nice sister card to Harsh Mentor tuned to deal directly with those pesky problem permanents.
NinjaCaterpie - This is a weird sort-of-counterspell for black (if cast in response to a planeswalker spell, it'll etb and then just immediately die). It's less oppressive than Veil of Summer, though, so it's got that going for it!
avatarz - I'm not sure this counts as an answer, but it's pretty cool.
spacemonaut - too many entries, but I like Double Agency and, surprisingly, Devourer Baloth (possibly wording aside - emblems are "gained", so they're also presumably "lost").
chetoos - This is awkward wording (as you note). I'd probably try to word it slightly differently. Maybe something like "if two or more counters would be placed on a permanent you don't control and it isn't entering the battlefield, one counter is placed on it instead." It doesn't turn off combos like Walking Ballista and infinite mana, but it does solve the planeswalker issue you're addressing (and has some funny interactions with things like monstrosity!).
ForestsCarl - This is neat in allowing you to do just enough damage to use a middle ability to KO the planeswalker. It ends up feeling quite red, which is neat!

HM: Megiddo
Winner: Chemtrails!
Next: A colored artifact
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

wonderful

Locket of Dreams 1U
Artifact (R)
Whenever you draw a card, exile the top card of your library face down.
3U, T, Sacrifice Locket of Dreams: Shuffle your hand into your library. Then return all cards exiled with Locket of Dreams from exile to your hand.

iiw: sugar we're going down swinging

Megiddo
MEG

Hullclamp U
Artifact — Equipment {U}
Whenever equipped creature dies, draw two cards.
U: Equipped creature gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
Equip 1

IIW: In the future, every time a card is banned in standard a new card that fits the same card slot (meaning same collector number and ideally same card type and rarity, but we can be flexible) is immediately printed to replace it in boosters. Pick a recently banned card and design its replacement.
MEG

Megiddo
MEG

wow the avatar size limits are extremely scuffed smh

enjoy this %$#% avatar
MEG

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Servant of the Meg 2B
Artifact Creature — Minion (Uncommon)
T: Make a pun about an object you can see in the room. If an opponent laughs at your pun, create a 1/1 black Minion creature token. (Snickering counts. Looking at you, Gavin.)
"Mood."
2/2

IIW: A card that makes a Walrus token.

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 4 years ago

Questing Harness 2GG
Artifact - Equipment Rare
Equipped creature gets +2/+2, and has vigilance and deathtouch.
Equipped creature can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less
Equip 4
equip beast 1

IIW: Uncommon planeswalkers from war of the spark upshifted to rare.

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Ancestral Computer 2UU
Artifact (R)
At the beginning of your end step, exile the top card of your library.
3: The next time you would draw a card this turn, put a card you own exiled with Ancestral Computer into your hand instead.

IIW: A colorless creature with flash.
Club Flamingo Alumnus

SPOILER
Show
Hide

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 4 years ago

Ley Weaving 2UU
Artifact (R)
Whenever you cast a spell with converted mana cost greater than the number of lands you control, create a Treasure token.
t, sacrifice five Treasures: Draw X cards, where X is the highest converted mana cost among spells cast this turn.

IIW: a colorless enchantment
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

wonderful

Dagger of Prophecy BR
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has first strike.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to an opponent, exile the top card of that player's library and the top card of your library. You may cast those cards until end of turn, and you may spend mana of any color to cast them.
Equip 2

iiw: a card casuals look at and think is broken, but competitive players know will be barely playable, if that

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”