Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

CCL May Signups/Round 1

"Enmity at Its Most Basic"

General's Enforcer, taken from MtG Arena Pro, by Wisnu Tan and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Enemy Colors Month here in the CCL. Designs this month will focus on pairing the colors whose philosophies typically oppose each other, but which throughout Magic's history have combined for powerful designs nevertheless.

Challenge
Design a card whose mana cost is exactly one of the following: WB, BG, GU, UR, or RW.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Your card's mana cost must be one of the five that is listed above and cannot include any additional symbols.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Monday, May 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (May 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (May 14th-20th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due May 22nd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (May 23rd–26th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due May 28th)
  • Final (June, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 year ago

Riverwind Diver GU
Creature — Merfolk Scout (U)
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Riverwind Diver explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
In Nezahal's wake, she finds secrets lost even to the heralds.
2/2

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Obzedat's Division WB
Sorcery (Uncommon)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a creature or Treasure.
Create a 1/1 white and black Spirit creature token with flying and a 2/2 white and black Thrull creature token with lifelink,
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Lorehold Expedition Rover RW
Artifact- Vehicle (Rare)
Whenever a card is milled, exile it.
T: Exile target card from a graveyard.
Whenever Lorehold Expedition Rover attacks, until end of turn, you may cast noncreature spells exiled with it.
Crew 3
2/2

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Vision of Keranos UR
Instant {U}
Vision of Keranos deals 2 damage to any target.
At the beginning of the next end step, scry X, where X is the number of creatures and/or planeswalkers your opponents control that left the battlefield this turn.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Going to extend this deadline by at least 24 hours!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Urban Decay
Enchantment — (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may mill a card.
: Exile a card from your graveyard. If it was a creature card, create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token. Otherwise, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
The wreckage of buildings and broken streets fosters new life for the Swarm.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Natural Logarithm UG
Sorcery (U)
Choose one:
• Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle.
• Draw a card. If you control eight or more lands, draw two cards instead.
"Yes, Wilva, growth is natural. But I'm confident the orchid on my desk didn't naturally become a hundred feet tall."
-Kianne, Quandrix Dean

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Skysnarer Troop rw
Creature - Human Pegasus Soldier (u)
Flying, haste
Whenever Skysnarer Troop arracks, tap target artifact, creature or.land the defending player controls.
1/1

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Okay, round is now closed - owing to low participation this month I'm going to try cutting directly to a top 4 after the first two rounds. Please critique and post a top 3 of all other contestants, and I'll be getting the next round up soon!

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

crits
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
1 year ago
Riverwind Diver GU
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Riverwind Diver explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
2/2
Pretty cool for landfal decks specifically bc it helps you trigger landfall more... otherwise kind of a generic card... but i do like that the flavor referenches Nezahal
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Lorehold Expedition Rover RW
Artifact- Vehicle (Rare)
Whenever a card is milled, exile it.
T: Exile target card from a graveyard.
Whenever Lorehold Expedition Rover attacks, until end of turn, you may cast noncreature spells exiled with it.
Crew 3
2/2
the lorehold are probably the coolest RW faction as well as the most unique. this card almost seems like it should be Br though... i think it does work in the lorehold but at the same time it steals opponents cards which feels nonwhite. it could also easily be swingy
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Vision of Keranos UR
Instant {U}
At the beginning of the next end step, scry X, where X is the number of creatures and/or planeswalkers your opponents control that left the battlefield this turn.
interesting combination of effects i think, decent uncommon but not that innovative. I think the flavor is perfect for Keranos bc he is god of lightning and also prophesy
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Urban Decay
Enchantment — (U)
: Exile a card from your graveyard. If it was a creature card, create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token. Otherwise, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
oh interesting, this card is kind of an engine. seems like a good golgari uncommon bc they care about cards in graveyard no matter the set, although undergrowth means you have to keep cards there and not exile them
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Natural Logarithm UG
Sorcery (U)
Choose one:
• Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle.
"Yes, Wilva, growth is natural. But I'm confident the orchid on my desk didn't naturally become a hundred feet tall."
-Kianne, Quandrix Dean
that flavor text is so funny. The card fits with the themes of the quandrix but idk if anyone would ever use the draw mode without 8 or more lands
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Skysnarer Troop rw
Flying, haste
Whenever Skysnarer Troop arracks, tap target artifact, creature or.land the defending player controls.
1/1
i really like this combo of effects and using human + pegasus to show a mounted creature is super interesting
t3
Show
Hide
1 henlock
2 slimytrout
3 netn10
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Top 3 -
1 - netn10
2 - Subject16
3 - Henlock

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Top 3.

1. netn10
2. Subject16
3. slimytrout
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Please make sure to post at least a top 3!

netn10

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
1 year ago
Riverwind Diver GU
2/2

This card seems at least rare material, maybe even mythic. Tireless Tracker would be less good than this. This card is a must remove, and it would grow way too fast and draw way too many cards for GU.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Obzedat's Division WB
Sorcery (Uncommon)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a creature or Treasure.
Create a 1/1 white and black Spirit creature token with flying and a 2/2 white and black Thrull creature token with lifelink,
It's a run-of-the-mill WB card. I would've loved it more if it only had "sacrifice a treasure" as the cost, differentiating it from similar cards.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Vision of Keranos UR
Instant {U}
This card is the embodiment of Keranos. Scaling a trigger for "the number of creatures and/or planeswalkers your opponents control that left the battlefield this turn." is interesting and new for UR and it makes a lot of sense here.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Urban Decay
Enchantment — (U)
This is a Golgari card that does Golgari things without deviating from what Golgari is. Solid, but not a breakthorugh by any means.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Natural Logarithm UG
Sorcery (U)
Choose one:
-Kianne, Quandrix Dean
The name is very good (and fits right in Strixhaven's Quandrix), the flavor text is awesome, the mechanics makes sense in Strixhaven. This card is very printable and very neat.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Skysnarer Troop rw
Flying, haste
1/1
Human Pegasus is lovly. This card taps (lol) into a design space that Boros usually don't explore - little creatures that designed to help your other creatures go through.
Top 3
Show
Hide

1st: slimytrout
2nd: Henlock
3rd: MonoRedMage

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
Based on card costs, exploring is just a bit worse than drawing a card (see Emissary of Sunrise vs. Priest of Ancient Lore). Which means that Riverwind Diver is several mana undercosted compared to Tatyova, Benthic Druid, which was already an extremely strong card.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
This is a fine card but doesn't excite me, and the flavor of somehow making spirits and thrulls out of treasure is fairly odd.
netn10
Show
Hide
Definitely a little out of pie for RW to be casting their opponent's cards, but it's also a fun card.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
This definitely will play a lot like a Magma Jet with a little extra variance, but still a cool concept.
Venedrex
Show
Hide
Totally fine, but definitely a space that's been played in a lot before (e.g. Necrogenesis) so I don't find it that exciting.
Henlock
Show
Hide
This is nice and simple, which I like. It's also very likely a mythic uncommon in limited considering how good cards like Territorial Hammerskull usually are, but that's ok sometimes.
T3
Show
Hide
1. netn10
2. Henlock
3. MonoRedMage

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

T3

1.netn10
2. monoredmage