The Community Deck Build Project v6.0

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Oof. Dunharrow bouta be a two time father, RIP your Magic time I suspect. Congrats on fatherhood though all the same!
What magic time?
I have not played in-store since January 2020
I have played paper magic about 6-7 times since then.
I do play mtga a bit, but it's really not the same as sitting with friends.

I told my playgroup that we can draft my boxes around 2035. Because I fully expect kid 3 will come around eventually.
I've never related to something said on the internet so hard. Except for #3, I'm not even willing to give it the chance. Once #2 is out there goes my Vas. We're due for the sequel in November and I fully expect to be a virtual brewer only at that point. Spare time doesn't exist.

Seriously though I hope it all goes well for you and your lady. I remember our first being an exciting time but really scary too.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Invoke Calamity and Arcane Bombardment have both been confirmed. Akroma's Will is awaiting confirmation.

Let's round out this cycle with @Crazy Monkey and @aliciaofthevast.

Akroma's Will yay - 2 Nay - 1
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Oof. Dunharrow bouta be a two time father, RIP your Magic time I suspect. Congrats on fatherhood though all the same!
What magic time?
I have not played in-store since January 2020
I have played paper magic about 6-7 times since then.
I do play mtga a bit, but it's really not the same as sitting with friends.

I told my playgroup that we can draft my boxes around 2035. Because I fully expect kid 3 will come around eventually.
Just do like me and don't have kids. Surely this will be a winning formula, mhm.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Lrt"s not forget that only a few extra combat spells work when cast with Velo. So we.might need.to.lean into nonspell effects such as Hexplate Wallbreaker or Karlach, Fury of Avernus
The only one I can think of that's not optimal with Velo is Response // Resurgence. Buuuuuuut...Savage Beating, Relentless Assault, and World at War should all work, even though that last one's rebound won't work if we use it with Velo.
Spells that reference "this main phase" do nothing if cast outside the main phase, according to the rulings. Only savage beating and world at war work when cast with Velo.
imlost
I suck.

Once again, my daughter has demanded the emojis.
:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

She...uhhh...loves to party.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

3drinks

Rx, they're referring to the clause "after this main phase" on relentless assault in the event that Velo casts it during declare attacks. However a cursory glance at it's rulings from 2004 on scryfall reveals;

It only creates an additional combat and main phase if it resolves during a main phase. (2004-10-04)

So that's a great note to keep in mind when suggesting cards.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago

The only one I can think of that's not optimal with Velo is Response // Resurgence. Buuuuuuut...Savage Beating, Relentless Assault, and World at War should all work, even though that last one's rebound won't work if we use it with Velo.
Spells that reference "this main phase" do nothing if cast outside the main phase, according to the rulings. Only savage beating and world at war work when cast with Velo.
imlost
I suck.

Once again, my daughter has demanded the emojis.
:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

She...uhhh...loves to party.
I"ll join! 😁 :party: :party: ::party:

I was also surprised by this, it is quite counterintuitive.

I still like Wave of Aggression"s rebound.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Well...I guess World at War makes the most sense as it actually works here, unlike the previously aforementioned Waves of Aggression.

I guess I'll yay akroma's will too, to clear it from the list. I'm not really excited by it when we already have Sejiri Shelter // Sejiri Glacier in the mana, but it looks like most people want it?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

So is it still worth having the extra attack step cards even if they don't work with Velo's ability? They still allow it to go off more than once per turn.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Henlock

I think it is. We"ll of course include the ones that work with Velo. Seize the Day can be dropped into the graveyard if necessary to use.it on the next main phase.

We can use a couple.of.permanemt-based ones too, as they might stick for another trigger. I personally like Hexplate Wallbreaker: We can fetch it with Axgard Armory and it"s a kill with double strike. It"s very expensive, tho.

3drinks

Well then, Akroma's Will has been confirmed. I'll be the first yay to World at War, it's pretty well exactly what we wanted to do, right?

New round, new cycle, so let's put @RxPhantom and @TheAmericanSpirit on the clock.

World at War yay - 1 nay - 0
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
So is it still worth having the extra attack step cards even if they don't work with Velo's ability? They still allow it to go off more than once per turn.
I think with maybe some modicum of caution, yeah? At least the ones repeatable, such as the aforementioned seize the day since it can flash back, or waves of aggression that turns future lands into combats, but maybe not the stand alone one shots a la relentless assault?

Henlock

Yay to World at War

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Yay to World at War.

I'm going to nominate Aurelia, the Warleader because...*gestures at deck*.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

yay Aurelia
I guess yay world at war
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
We can use a couple.of.permanemt-based ones too, as they might stick for another trigger. I personally like Hexplate Wallbreaker: We can fetch it with Axgard Armory and it"s a kill with double strike. It"s very expensive, tho.

This idea is sweet and I'm stealing it. I nominate Hexplate Wallbreaker for the reasons listed by Henlock!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

Yay Wallbreaker, yay Aurelia. I feel like we're going to have to revisit ramp a bit - we've got some high end curve-toppers.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

I'll yea all 3. And agree - we need to revisit mana production.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dunharrow

wallbreaker sounds good!

3drinks

World at War, Aurelia, the Warleader, and Hexplate Wallbreaker have all been confirmed. I quite like the Wallbreaker as the upside of coming with a body for me, greatly outweighs the initial do nothing of AggAss.

I'd have been on earlier, but I got distracted by a new tool for AI generated commander decks and finally getting to dive into FE: Three Houses. Anyway, @Dunharrow might still see this so we'll put them on the clock, and I guess myself so I can nominate Smothering Tithe, since we're in need of more ramp.

Smothering Tithe yay - 0 nay - 0

Henlock

I can"t say no to Smothering Tithe, considering the costs we"re handling. Yay tithe

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Yay Smothering Tithe. It's a staple, which makes it somewhat boring, but it's so necessary here.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

3drinks

I really didn't want to nominate it. I dislike the card and I dislike ramp at the four slot. I dislike that it doesn't actually generate CA and going -1 at this point in the game for delayed ramp can be crucial. But...it is what it is.

Dunharrow

Yay tide
I will nominate Mind Stone

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Yay Tide and Mind Stone.

What other fun stuff can we cast off of Velo?

3drinks

Smothering Tithe has been confirmed. I'll also yay mind stone|brc to bring it to two.

Let's place @Crazy Monkey and @Moonlighter on the clock for today.

mind stone|brc yay - 2 nay - 0
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
What other fun stuff can we cast off of Velo?
Hmm. That depends on what you're looking for I'd guess. I'm a fan of casting Hordeling Outburst type cards, but my new fave stone age gem as seen in my Oathbreaker deck is Illicit Auction|6ed. I'd guess the worst things to cast would be threaten|10e effects for, obvious reasons. If there was a big Brass's Bounty that was cost at five, that'd be supreme I'd wager. I'd imagine those Cleansing Wildfire effects mentioned earlier to be good value if maybe a bit unexciting as cards to hit.

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Yay Mine Stone. We've talked about it a lot and it's a one shot kill in some particular circumstances (ie Wallbreaker on Velo): Savage Beating

Dunharrow

Beating sounds perfect for the deck

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”