The Community Deck Build Project v6.0

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Tragic Arrogance has been confirmed. Chandra's Ignition has been confirmed with my yay right here in this post.

Let's put @Henlock and @aliciaofthevast on the clock with 9/15 interaction slots filled.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Oh hey it's Thursday and it's me? Well we've got some sweepers, three I think so let's go with Path to Exile. Can't imagine that doesn't make it in right?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Easy Yay to Path.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Yea to path.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Yay Path

What about Volcanic Offering? It can hit up to 4 stuff, and includes a healthy dose of land destruction.

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

I'll yay Volcanic Offering because it seems fun and there just aren't many places you could play it. Maybe it's bad to have in hand, but hopefully we can put it back on top of the library when this happens. I dunno I think I'm sort of talking myself out of it, but I'll stick with the yay for now.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

3drinks

Path to Exile|tsr has been confirmed. I'll yay Volcanic Offering to bring it up to 2 yays because this is exactly the kind of card we want. It's both perfectly serviceable to hard cast and a total blowout to freecast.

It's Friday and we're winding down to the end of the list again, so let's put @Dunharrow and @Moonlighter on the clock. We're currently at 10/15 interaction confirmed.

Volcanic Offering yay - 2 nay - 0

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Yay Volcanic Offering. If anyone is struggling to think of something, I want Boros Charm in this deck real bad. It's not my turn, but...yeah.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Moonlighter
Lunatic

I'll nominate Generous Gift. Easy and useful.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Another easy yay to Generous Gift.

Have we come to a consensus on what the overall plan for the deck is outside of casting cool stuff with Velo? What will our early plays look like? Should we go the pillow fort route? Going wide has been discussed. Should we go all in on Velo and dedicate slots to stuff like Lightning Greaves and Strionic Resonator?

toctheyounger

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Another easy yay to Generous Gift.

Have we come to a consensus on what the overall plan for the deck is outside of casting cool stuff with Velo? What will our early plays look like? Should we go the pillow fort route? Going wide has been discussed. Should we go all in on Velo and dedicate slots to stuff like Lightning Greaves and Strionic Resonator?
I'm gonna advocate for early board presence via stuff like Monastery mentor and a light controlling hand to keep the board off it's game. Then when we land Velo we get some pressure on and hit hard with direct damage, increased power and extra combats for free.

There are a couple of ways we can land Velo early via something like Hellkite Courser too, but it's probably best to include them and not count on having them.

3drinks

Volcanic Offering has been confirmed. I'm going to yay Generous Gift|h1r under the assumption you intended to yay it as well, @toctheyounger? That confirms gift into the deck as well.

Rounding out this cycle puts me on the clock, as well as the top of the next round with...let's start with @RxPhantom. We're at 12/15 interaction slots.

I'm going to nominate Divine Reckoning as a sweeper we're 1) freely able to cast without losing our dragon, 2) can get a second cast out of via flashback, and 3) okay with early to weather the inevitable player that gets the fast start. And 4) it's not even a dollar. I don't typically like divine reckoning in most places, but it fits here.
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
I don't think dedicating slots to our seven drop is a strong enough plan given the struggle will be getting this on the board in the first place - leaning into it is win-more, no? I second the Monastery Mentor stuff, cards like Runechanter's Pike that do the thing with the commander but aren't exclusive to doing commander things. Maybe some Backdraft Hellkite to flashback cards we played to get to the dragon, or replay things the dragon used. But otherwise I'd imagine we want more things like Smothering Tithe, Smuggler's Share, Esper Sentinel. Probably Smuggler's Copter too, if we're gonna have mentor, young pyro, and Spyro. I also liked dunharrow's suggestion of charmbreaker devils alongside Arcane Bombardment. Personally I adore Jailbreak but that is probably the Mardu in me. ;)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Volcanic Offering has been confirmed. I'm going to yay Generous Gift|h1r under the assumption you intended to yay it as well, @toctheyounger? That confirms gift into the deck as well.

Rounding out this cycle puts me on the clock, as well as the top of the next round with...let's start with @RxPhantom. We're at 12/15 interaction slots.

I'm going to nominate Divine Reckoning as a sweeper we're 1) freely able to cast without losing our dragon, 2) can get a second cast out of via flashback, and 3) okay with early to weather the inevitable player that gets the fast start. And 4) it's not even a dollar. I don't typically like divine reckoning in most places, but it fits here.
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
I don't think dedicating slots to our seven drop is a strong enough plan given the struggle will be getting this on the board in the first place - leaning into it is win-more, no? I second the Monastery Mentor stuff, cards like Runechanter's Pike that do the thing with the commander but aren't exclusive to doing commander things. Maybe some Backdraft Hellkite to flashback cards we played to get to the dragon, or replay things the dragon used. But otherwise I'd imagine we want more things like Smothering Tithe, Smuggler's Share, Esper Sentinel. Probably Smuggler's Copter too, if we're gonna have mentor, young pyro, and Spyro. I also liked dunharrow's suggestion of charmbreaker devils alongside Arcane Bombardment. Personally I adore Jailbreak but that is probably the Mardu in me. ;)
I think I like that plan. I would also like to find some slots to both protect and abuse Velo.

For now though, I'm nominating Boros Charm. An all-star for protecting our board, and can be a decent rip off the top. Giving Velo double strike can be devastating with multiple attack phases, and the four damage to players or walkers is nothing to sneeze at.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I'll yay Divine Reckoning. And charm too, I think both of these are cards we can utilize heavily.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Oh shoot I forgot to yay Reckoning. Yay to that.

Henlock

yay to both Divbine reckoning and Boros Charm.

I like the idea of making tokens. It's a theme that's very well supported in our colors.

I just realized and checked that we are not required to actually cast an instant or sorcery card, so split cards will retain their mana value and adventures will work too. stuff like Insult // Injury and Two-Handed Axe // Sweeping Cleave are looking good to me.

I agree that we need to protect Velo a lot. We can't really recast it any easily.

toctheyounger

Yay to reckoning, charm and gift.

I'd say we're pretty good for wipes now. Weirdly this doesn't feel like a Blasphemous deck to me. There's just no way for us to break parity on it.

3drinks

Divine Reckoning and and B-Charm has been confirmed which brings us to 14/15 interaction slots. With thaat we'll put @Henlock and @TheAmericanSpirit on the clock.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I'll claim the last interaction slot. I nominate Austere Command, for much the same reasons as Farewell.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

3drinks

Another six. Hmm. Well let's stimulate some conversation, namely the monkey in the room;

Why this over Cleansing Nova?

Henlock

Yay to Austere command. Removal suit looks nice.

I"ll nominate Not Forgotten. It can set our Velo trigger precombat or rebuy us Velo (or any other card we"d like to draw) from graveyard if the tax gets high. It is also a nice little political tool The token is a nice plus.

Moonlighter
Lunatic

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Another six. Hmm. Well let's stimulate some conversation, namely the monkey in the room;

Why this over Cleansing Nova?
If nothing else, I think the 3mv or less feature will work well for us vs more streamlined decks.

Edit: I guess I'm not sure, if we're running a lot of tokens. The increased flexibility will probably work in our favor.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I thought we were good on board wipes. We have four already, right? But I do like modal spells in this deck. I'm torn. I'll abstain for now.

Also, since we have an expensive commander upon which we are heavily dependent, we should consider Command Beacon.

toctheyounger

I'm gonna nay command purely for having our fill already. I think we could probably chop and change with the wipes once we're at 100 to get a suite that works optimally but for now I'm off it.

I could see Beacon here for sure.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I find command beacon maybe awkward in this deck! Can't imagine a number of opportunities where I want to lose a land drop for our 7 drop. If the commander wasn't so expensive I'd be more on board but I'm thinking it's a trap here?

Not Forgotten looks a little too low impact but maybe there's a similar card in these colors that does that?

I'll yay austere command, I think it's a good hit honestly. You can't cast cleansing nova with Velo, unless it's a Purify and no one is dying to cast that now right? So in this deck I believe it's much better than cleansing nova.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”