March MCC Round 3 - Sphere of Disease

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

MCC-ONE-3.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of Resistance Reunited by Aurore Folny.)

March MCC Round 3

Sphere of Disease

As is tradition by now, this month we will celebrate the latest set, in this case Phyrexia: All Will Be One, by exploring its mechanics and themes, as usual in this kind of MCC months.

Living on New Phyrexia isn't easy, especially as a Mirran rebel. The whole world as you once knew it has been twisted in a barely recognizable hell that is about to turn the whole known Multiverse into that same hell. No, entering in close contact with "Phyrexian things", like the one our rebels saw last round, is dangerous, and has consequences, often unintended but inevitable. Phyresis is a disease, and a disease's purpose is that of spreading and infecting as many as it can. A disease doesn't care about anything you would normally care about in a person. It just takes them away, sometimes literally. There's no helping it, it's just its nature. It proliferates. That's all it does. And unfortunately, it found fertile ground in the bodies of our rebels. They may not realize it yet, but something is already changing within them.

Main Challenge - Design a card that has itself proliferate AND has a triggered ability that triggers "whenever you proliferate".

Subchallenge 1 - Your card can put oil counters on itself (entering with oil counters DOES count).

Subchallenge 2 - Your card has flavor text that mentions both your character from Rounds 1 and 2 AND at least one among the words "Phyrexia", "Phyrexian", or "Phyresis". No need for mentions or quotes of your previous submissions.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge

Your card must satisfy two conditions at the same time:

1 - It has proliferate itself as an effect.

If it's an instant or sorcery, that means that the keyword action "proliferate" is used in its rules text, and "proliferating" in its Magic meaning is something that will be part of the sequence of actions that will be performed as it resolves.

If it's a permanent, that means that the keyword action "proliferate" is there as part of an effect in the card's rules text.

Remember that proliferate CAN'T be a cost, it has to be an effect.

Your card can do literally anything in addition to proliferate.

Proliferate can be a part of a bigger effect or its own separate thing, both count.

2 - It has a triggered ability whose trigger condition includes you (not "other player/s" or "any player", specifically "you") proliferating.

Most often that's worded "Whenever you proliferate, (effect).", but you proliferating CAN be part of a bigger trigger condition, such as for example "Whenever you attack or proliferate, (effect)."

Technically you would be allowed by the challenge to write something like "Whenever you proliferate, proliferate." and that would indeed count for both conditions at the same time, but beware of infinite loops and other such things, besides being honestly just ugly to read.

Subchallenge 1

• Here "putting" oil counters has its CR meaning, that's why entering with oil counters counts.

• Your card can put oil counters on other things, but it doesn't matter for this Subchallenge.

To count for this Subchallenge, the card has to be able to put the oil counters specifically on itself.

Saying just "put an oil counter on target creature" does NOT count, because you can just put the oil counter on something else. Instead a permanent with an ability that says "put an oil counter on CARDNAME and another target permanent" would count, because one of the oil counters will always be put on the permanent itself.

If you can find a way for an instant or sorcery to put oil counters on itself, feel free to do it. I can't see it, but if you find it, then sure, that counts.

Subchallenge 2

• This subchallenge looks for two things being present in the flavor text at the same time, both in any contest, not necessarily associated even though that's the spirit of this round:

1 - Your character's name. It has to be your own character from the previous rounds. No title necessary, just the name, even though you can add a title if you want. If you do, that title can be the same as either one of the previous ones or a different new one.

2 - At least one words from among these three: "Phyrexia", "Phyrexian", or "Phyresis". You can use more than one of these three or even all three if you want.

• No need to quote or repost your Round 1 and/or Round 2 entries, they have all already been tracked, but you won't be penalized if you do.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the MCC discussion thread.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Saturday, March 25th Sunday, March 26th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Tuesday, March 28th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel for the past January MCC.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83

PLAYERS

@Freyleyes
@kwanyeegor-ii
@MonoRedMage
@Riria
@slimytrout
@void_nothing

A reminder to everyone:
In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Please check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. Link in my signature. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.

BRACKETS

This is the versus round. These are the pairings:

kwanyeegor-ii vs. slimytrout
MonoRedMage vs. Riria
Freyleyes vs. void_nothing
Last edited by bravelion83 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Riria

Post by Riria » 1 year ago

Jor Kadeen, Compleated Prevailer 3RW
Legendary Creature — Phyrexian Warrior (MR)
First strike, trample
Jor Kadeen enters the battlefield with three oil counters on him.
Whenever an Equipment enters the battlefield under your control, proliferate.
Whenever you proliferate, you may remove two oil counters from Jor Jadeen. When you do, creatures you control get +3/+0 until end of turn.
"Saran was right, after a fashion. Eschewing your flesh is not the same as eschewing your humanity. But neither is embracing phyresis, necessarily."
—Urabrask

5/4

Freyleyes
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Freyleyes » 1 year ago

Vi, Phyresis Shaper 1{U/P}{U/P}B
Legendary Creature — Phyrexian Cleric {M}
({U/P} can be paid with either U or 2 life.)
Vi, Phyresis Shaper enters the battlefield with an oil counter on it for each life spent to cast it.
Whenever you proliferate, you may remove two oil counters from Vi. If you do, put two loyalty counters on target Planeswalker with compleated.
T: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. Proliferate.
"The rebel leader Cynthia has yet to serve her purpose."
— Voice of the Mother to Vi, Phyresis Shaper

2/3

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Proliferation Pod 1GW
Artifact (R)
Proliferation Pod enters the battlefield with an oil counter on it.
Creature tokens you control get +1/+1 for each oil counter on Proliferation Pod.
2{g}{w}, T: Proliferate.
Whenever you proliferate, create a 0/0 black Phyrexian germ creature token.
Even Obenna trembled to behold the Phyrexian ranks.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

A 24-hour extension has been asked and granted. The new design deadline is Sunday 26th, still at 23:59 Eastern as usual. We're still missing entries from @kwanyeegor-ii, @MonoRedMage, and @void_nothing. Who has already submitted an entry can of course edit until the new extended deadline.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Porcelain Shieldworks 1W
Artifact (Uncommon)
Porcelain Shieldworks enters the battlefield with an oil counter on it.
Whenever you proliferate, creatures you control get +0/+1 until end of turn for each oil counter on Porcelain Shieldworks.
Whenever you block with two or more creatures, you may pay 1W. If you do, proliferate.
Lelatna paused, disgusted at what phyresis had made of the honored shields of those who were once her Auriok allies.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Sratpang, Glistening Redoubt 1GW
Legendary Artifact Creature - Phyrexian Bear (R)
Whenever Sratpang attacks, put an oil counter on it, then target attacking creature gets +X/+0 and gains toxic X until end of turn, where X is the number of oil counters on Sratpang.
Whenever you proliferate, you may put a creature card with mana value 2 or less from your hand or graveyard onto the battlefield.
5R, Pay 2 life, Discard a card: Draw two cards, then proliferate.
A Phyrexian had at last come to Bziltreti as a friend, and the wolf joined him.
0/6
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Furnace Believer 1R
Creature - Phyrexian Goblin {R}
Whenever Furnace Believer attacks, proliferate.
Whenever you proliferate, add R. Until end of turn, you don't lose mana as steps and phases end.
1R, T: Put an oil counter on Furnace Believer, then destroy up to one target artifact with mana value equal to or less than the number of oil counters on Furnace Believer.
Lingxak couldn't believe anyone would willingly undergo phyresis, but Urabrask was convincing.
1/2

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

The round is closed. Judging will begin tonight CEST.

BRACKETS

This is the versus round. These are the pairings:

MonoRedMage vs. Riria

Judgments complete. There is a tie, so we will have four players in the finals. The final round will be posted in a few hours, right after the judging deadline makes these judgments final in about 6 hours.

March 28th 9 am CET - I need a break now. I will go on tonight, and I'm pretty confident I will be able to make it within the deadline.

March 28th 7:30 am CET - Again, all but one single card in this round are microtext. I will just point everybody's attention to that fact again, and in the meantime post once again the microtext limits:
Microtext limits
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
In the M15 frame, you can have:
• Up to eight lines with however many breaks you want.
• Nine lines with up to four breaks. If you have more than four breaks, it's microtext.
• Ten lines with up to two breaks. If you have more than two breaks, it's microtext.
• Eleven lines and a single break. If you have more than one break, it's microtext.
• If you have twelve lines of more, it's microtext regardless of breaks.
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
In the MSE M15 frame you can have at most:
• Eight lines or fewer with any number of paragraph breaks.
• Nine lines with at most four breaks.
• Ten lines with at most two breaks.
• Eleven lines with a single break.
• Everything that is twelve lines or more is microtext regardless of breaks.

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Porcelain Shieldworks 1W
Artifact (Uncommon)
Porcelain Shieldworks enters the battlefield with an oil counter on it.
Whenever you proliferate, creatures you control get +0/+1 until end of turn for each oil counter on Porcelain Shieldworks.
Whenever you block with two or more creatures, you may pay 1W. If you do, proliferate.
Lelatna paused, disgusted at what phyresis had made of the honored shields of those who were once her Auriok allies.
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Timmy likes pumping power more than toughness and attacking more than blocking. Johnny can do a lot of things with proliferate, but I don't see any real payoffs for him to do so. Spike sees no immediate impact and she doesn't like how you proliferating relies on your opponents' actions.
Elegance 2.5/3 - No big problems here, it's just that the text is a bit long, that's all. Very easy to understand anyway.
Development
Viability 2/3 - No problems with the color pie or the rules. I'd see this card much better at rare rather than uncommon, both because of sheer feeling and potential board complexity, especially in multiples.
Balance 1.5/3 - Not sure how playable this is in limited. You don't have too many slots for noncreatures, and this is nothing that's high priority like card advantage or removal. The fact that the toughness boost is temporary and that you have to block with multiple creatures anyway and pay mana on top of that to get it isn't that appealing. I think you might have played a little bit too safe with the cost there. I can see this card being not that high of a pick in draft and often not even making the cut into your deck. If that's true in limited, that's even more true in constructed. Then there is also the problem that a card like this actually actively prolongs games instead of making them go faster towards their natural conclusion. Casual players will have no problems though, and I see no problems in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - The reverse menace is new, the closest thing I've been able to find is Lairwatch Giant, and that's the only result I've been able to find with my search. Nothing new on the rest of the card though.
Flavor 3/3 - No problems here.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - Unfortunately, this is microtext just because of a single word. In the MSE M15 frame this is ten lines with three breaks, and with ten lines you can only have up to two breaks. The last line, the tenth one overall on the card, is formed by the single word "allies" in the flavor text. If somehow you cut a single word from the flavor text to have one fewer lines, which is nine, you'd be allowed up to four breaks and this would not qualify as microtext. I'm sorry. (-0.5) Given that, there is obviously no room for reminder text for proliferate, so no problems there... Wait! This is not a rare! It's an uncommon! So it should have it regardless of anything. You can only cut reminder text for non-evergreen keywords on rares and mythics, never on commons and uncommons. (-0.5)
Main Challenge 2/2 - All good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 19/25

slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Proliferation Pod 1GW
Artifact (R)
Proliferation Pod enters the battlefield with an oil counter on it.
Creature tokens you control get +1/+1 for each oil counter on Proliferation Pod.
2{g}{w}, T: Proliferate.
Whenever you proliferate, create a 0/0 black Phyrexian germ creature token.
Even Obenna trembled to behold the Phyrexian ranks.
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy will like this if he gets to pump out big tokens every turn. Very open-ended card for Johnny, he can use proliferate, the counters, and the tokens in multiple different and possibly unintended ways. Spike likes repeatable proliferate.
Elegance 3/3 - The most elegant card this round, by far. The text is short and very easy to process mentally and understand at first glance.
Development
Viability 3/3 - It feels a little strange to me to see white in the activation cost, but no problems with that, as proliferate is in all colors anyway. All the rest is good here: no problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 2.5/3 - You usually want your noncreature slots in limited for card advantage and removal, but this is tempting. There will be creature tokens going around in the format anyway, and even if there aren't, this makes its own. Repeatable proliferate can also be very appealing in archetypes built around counters. In constructed, this will be very good in token decks, while also giving more tools to decks built around counters (the markers, not the counterspells). For example, I can only imagine how good repeatable proliferate is in a Superfriends deck. Maybe too good? Some casual players might be confused by the 0/0 tokens at first, but if Master of Waves is fine to print, this is too, and then there is also the familiar precedent of living weapon making things easier. I see no problems in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - I thought Intangible Virtue was the only card giving a bonus specifically to creature tokens, but I'm wrong. It spawned a whole offspring of six cards, including itself, all of which have been printed later, one even in ONE (Mite Overseer). There are still few cards in that vein though, it's not like we see one in every set. Seeing Germ tokens outside of the living weapon mechanic is actually new.
Flavor 3/3 - No problems here. I appreciate the flavorful piggybacking on Birthing Pod and living weapon.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - Leaving out the reminder text for proliferate was the correct call. Putting it in turns the text from non-microtext to microtext, so that's right. In the last ability, "Germ" should be capitalized as it's a creature type. (-0.5)
TOTAL 23.5/25

MonoRedMage vs. Riria
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Furnace Believer 1R
Creature - Phyrexian Goblin {R}
Whenever Furnace Believer attacks, proliferate.
Whenever you proliferate, add R. Until end of turn, you don't lose mana as steps and phases end.
1R, T: Put an oil counter on Furnace Believer, then destroy up to one target artifact with mana value equal to or less than the number of oil counters on Furnace Believer.
Lingxak couldn't believe anyone would willingly undergo phyresis, but Urabrask was convincing.
1/2
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - A bit small for Timmy, but he likes getting to keep his mana, destroying annoying artifacts, and how he has one more incentive (proliferate) to do what he already wants to do (attacking). As soon as Johnny realizes that ability applies to all mana, he will immediately think of infinite mana combos and tricks to do with floating mana, and that's on top of proliferate, an ability he already likes. Spike likes potentially repeatable proliferate on a creature that's still cheap enough even though the rate of base P/T isn't great.
Elegance 3/3 - The text is not too long actually, the shortest it can be for what it does. The unusual templating in the "you don't lose mana" ability might actually be more intuitive and easier to process than the standard one, as it applies to all mana regardless of anything else, so you don't have to think about where exactly you're spending that specific mana. There will be some players who won't notice the subtle difference though, and will play this as if it said "you don't lose this mana" as usual just out of habit. Overall, I'd call this the second most elegant card of this round (the first is slimytrout's) and I want to prize that.
Development
Viability 3/3 - Red is probably last in proliferate, but it can do that too, so no problems with the color pie. Everything else on this card is firmly in red. Rarity is correct and I see no problems with the rules, just a small non-functional remark, but I won't deduct any points for that as it's not a functional issue. I'm talking about the "not losing mana" part. As I will point out in Quality, as worded currently, it applies to ALL mana, not just the mana produced by this ability. I'm not sure whether that is intentional or just an oversight, but it still works, so no problems here.
Balance 3/3 - Playable in limited. It might be tried out in constructed, mainly for the repeatable proliferate and the tricks you can do with floating mana. I really appreciate the detail of the "up to" in the activated ability, it helps a lot with rules interactions and allows you to put the oil counter even with no targets available or if the target becomes illegal. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - If intended, the "you don't lose mana" effect working on all mana is definitely new. Proliferate on attack is also surprisingly new, the closest things are Norn's Choirmaster and one of the Unfinity sheets (Carnival Elephant Meteor, if the autocard also works with stickers). They are literally the only two results of my search for proliferate on attack.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - There are no precedents for "you don't lose mana" as in "ANY mana", not just mana generated by the ability itself, but also all the mana you had already added before and still have floating in your mana pool and all the mana you will add in the future from ANY source. Basically, you remove the rule that causes you to lose mana at the end of all steps and phases for the rest of the turn. All the precedents say "you don't lose this mana", applying only to that specific mana added by the ability itself, not to any other mana, past or future. I don't know which was the intent here, I could see both. Anyway, both are functional, even in different ways, but this wording does work even if it has never been printed this way, so no deduction for that. A hyphen instead of an em dash in the type line. The free pass was only for the last round and not this one, and also your opponent has correctly used em dashes everywhere they were needed, so I will have to deduct points here because of that, I'm sorry. (-0.5) If both you and your opponent had done that, I would have definitely considered giving a free pass again to both of you, but here it wasn't both of you making this mistake. Unfortunately, only you did, so the deduction feels more right in this specific case. I know it's just a detail, but everything matters in the MCC. Again, I'm sorry.
TOTAL 24/25

Riria
Show
Hide
Riria wrote:
1 year ago
Jor Kadeen, Compleated Prevailer 3RW
Legendary Creature — Phyrexian Warrior (MR)
First strike, trample
Jor Kadeen enters the battlefield with three oil counters on him.
Whenever an Equipment enters the battlefield under your control, proliferate.
Whenever you proliferate, you may remove two oil counters from Jor Jadeen. When you do, creatures you control get +3/+0 until end of turn.
"Saran was right, after a fashion. Eschewing your flesh is not the same as eschewing your humanity. But neither is embracing phyresis, necessarily."
—Urabrask

5/4
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy is just in love with this card. Johnny likes proliferate, but the payoff isn't that great from his point of view, and just pumping attackers isn't that appealing to him, who might not even want to attack at all to do his things. Spike just sees yet another big beater, though an effective one that for once might be worth the mana it costs.
Elegance 2.5/3 - The text is long but still easy to understand.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - This card would work just fine as monored. Yes, red is last at proliferate, but it can still do it. Red-white is also acceptable, you could consider first strike as the white part, but this card doesn't need to be white mechanically. Flavorfully, sure, we've always seen Jor Kadeen as a Boros-colored character so it makes complete sense, but we know that flavor is much more flexible than mechanics. After all, there are several examples of multicolored characters getting monocolored cards. The first recent example that comes to my mind is Vraska's card in ONE: she's BG as a character but her card in that set is mono-B. Also, Ajani having been RW in his youth and GW in his adulthood, but having gotten a lot of mono-W cards. Or Narset being Jeskai-colored as a character but mono-U as a card in WAR. And several more, I'm sure. This could have been another example: Jor Kadeen is a Boros-colored character but could have gotten a mono-R card. No problems with rarity or the rules.
Balance 3/3 - Playable in limited for sure, and I can also easily see it in constructed, especially in decks where Equipment have a big role. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - The most original thing here is the line "Equipmentfall, proliferate." We've already seen a lot of RW Equipment synergies before. All the rest is nothing new.
Flavor 2.5/3 - I have only a single remark here: the similarity of the card name to Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer. It's at the same time a very nice mirror to his un-compleated self and a name that could generate confusion between the two cards. If I go to my LGS and ask for "Jor Kadeen, it was called Prevailer I think...", which card will they try to sell me? And which one was the one that I wanted? Will the store owner give me the card that I wanted?
Polish
Quality 2/3 - This is microtext already without the reminder text for proliferate. It's eleven lines and four breaks, but with that many lines you're allowed at most a single break. (-0.5) Jor Kadeen (which we already know it's the correct spelling) becomes "Jor Jadeen" with a "J" instead of a "K" in the last ability. (-0.5)
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met. I'm accepting "Saran" as a shortened form of "Jor Saran".
TOTAL 21/25

Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
1 year ago
Vi, Phyresis Shaper 1{U/P}{U/P}B
Legendary Creature — Phyrexian Cleric {M}
({U/P} can be paid with either U or 2 life.)
Vi, Phyresis Shaper enters the battlefield with an oil counter on it for each life spent to cast it.
Whenever you proliferate, you may remove two oil counters from Vi. If you do, put two loyalty counters on target Planeswalker with compleated.
T: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. Proliferate.
"The rebel leader Cynthia has yet to serve her purpose."
— Voice of the Mother to Vi, Phyresis Shaper

2/3
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy doesn't like paying life, but he likes interacting with planeswalkers and putting -1/-1 counters on his opponents' creatures. So many things for Johnny to do here. Spike likes repeated proliferate.
Elegance 2/3 - The text is long but still easy to understand. I can see some confusion arising from the second ability: can you proliferate the counters you're about to put or remove? Does that ability trigger and resolve before or after putting and removing the counters? These are doubts some less experienced players will have for sure.
Development
Viability 3/3 - Manipulating counters and proliferate are both primary in U. The -1/-1 counter and caring about the life loss are B. Both colors are represented here, so no problems with the color pie. Nor with rarity or the rules, for that matter.
Balance 3/3 - In limited, it's not a given that you have a planeswalker with compleated, but this card is useful anyway as slow removal and repeatable proliferate. In constructed, you can just put it into a deck full of compleated planeswalkers in addition to that. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - Do I even have to justify the full points here? There is something new here in literally almost every single line.
Flavor 3/3 - No problems here. I have the sensation that somebody had foreseen what would have happened to our rebels this month...
Polish
Quality 2/3 - In the "whenever you proliferate" triggered ability, the word "planeswalker" should NOT be capitalized as it's a card type. Only subtypes are capitalized, not card types or supertypes. (-0.5) I also notice a lack of "you control", but that's a non-functional thing. An extra space between the em dash and the character's name in the flavor text attribution. (-0.5) No room for reminder text for proliferate and this is a mythic, so that's not a problem. This is already nine lines and four breaks as is, which is exactly borderline for microtext but still acceptable. Adding reminder text would turn it into microtext without any doubt.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met. I'm counting Cynthia as your character and not the Voice of the Mother or Vi because Cynthia is the one you submitted in Round 1, it's the one you started with and she's the one who connects all your flavor texts this month so far.
TOTAL 22.5/25

void_nothing
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Sratpang, Glistening Redoubt 1GW
Legendary Artifact Creature - Phyrexian Bear (R)
Whenever Sratpang attacks, put an oil counter on it, then target attacking creature gets +X/+0 and gains toxic X until end of turn, where X is the number of oil counters on Sratpang.
Whenever you proliferate, you may put a creature card with mana value 2 or less from your hand or graveyard onto the battlefield.
5R, Pay 2 life, Discard a card: Draw two cards, then proliferate.
A Phyrexian had at last come to Bziltreti as a friend, and the wolf joined him.
0/6
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy might be fooled by the 0 power at first, but when he realizes what this card really does he will love it. Johnny likes the second half of the card more than the first, but there are definitely things for him to do here. Spike likes the high toughness for just three mana. She also likes reanimation and putting things from her hand onto the battlefield for free. She doesn't like the high mana cost in the activated ability, even though she definitely likes what it does.
Elegance 2.5/3 - The text is long but overall still very understandable at first reading, and there are no unintuitive interactions I can see.
Development
Viability 3/3 - The first ability is G and the second one is W. The activated ability is a twist on rummaging, so it's perfectly fine in R. No problems with rarity or the rules.
Balance 3/3 - In limited, you can play this early as a good blocker at first, then watch its progression to good attacker too and finally card filtering plus proliferate in the late game. This is a card that evolves and changes role during the course of the game, and that's very interesting. I want to prize that. In constructed, the part where you get card advantage by reanimating or dropping small things from your hand gets more relevant in addition to that. Some casual players might be a little confused by the 0 power at first, but they will quickly understand how this works by actually playing it, so that's not a big problem. No problems in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - There is something new here, but a lot of things are elements we've seen before. Putting together reanimation and dropping a creature from your hand for free is somewhat new. Putting together rummaging with proliferate is as well. Giving essentially +X/+0 to the creature's power and toxic value at the same time also is. And so on.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - This is eleven lines and three breaks, but with that many lines you're allowed a single break, so this is microtext, and that's before even considering adding reminder text for proliferate. (-0.5) A hyphen instead of an em dash in the type line. The free pass was only for the last round and not this one, and also your opponent has correctly used an em dash, so I will have to deduct points here because of that, I'm sorry. (-0.5) If both you and your opponent had done that, I would have definitely considered giving a free pass again to both of you, but here it wasn't both of you making this mistake. Unfortunately, only you did, so the deduction feels more right in this specific case. I know it's just a detail, but everything matters in the MCC. Again, I'm sorry.
TOTAL 22.5/25

Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii: 19
slimytrout: 23.5

MonoRedMage: 24
Riria: 21

Freyleyes: 22.5
void_nothing: 22.5

Show
Hide

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”