The DCC - March 16th, 2023

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

Rithaniel wrote:
1 year ago
The official makers of MtG limit themselves far too much in that regard.
I personally totally agree with you on this point, and not just in color combinations. The fact that most planeswalkers just HAVE to be human is another good example, and one I feel strongly about. I'll just make you an example. I've talked about my ongoing plan of custom sets and planes several times by now. I have a table where I list all the custom planeswalkers I've created for those set/stories I've planned. There are currently exactly fifty planeswalkers in that table (all custom ones of mine, only one of which you all know about: Jeff Lionheart). How many of those fifty are humans? FIVE! A tenth of them! How is this proportion in real Magic? I could go and make the count, maybe I will add it as an edit here later, but I did it a long time ago and if I remember correctly it was more than half of the total. That's true also for planes in general. How many planes are there that do NOT have humans? I can only remember one, Lorwyn, and that's a huge reason why that's one of my favorite planes in all of Magic. I often say: I already see too many humans in the real world, why do I have to also see them in my fantasy worlds? Leave room to the more interesting races, the ones that I do NOT get to meet every single day of my life already!
PW count
Show
Hide
This is rule 205.3j (CR ONE), it's the list of Planeswalker types, aka all the ones that have ever had a card printed for them:
205.3j Planeswalkers have their own unique set of subtypes; these subtypes are called planeswalker types. The planeswalker types are Ajani, Aminatou, Angrath, Arlinn, Ashiok, Bahamut, Basri, Bolas, Calix, Chandra, Comet, Dack, Dakkon, Daretti, Davriel, Dihada, Domri, Dovin, Ellywick, Elminster, Elspeth, Estrid, Freyalise, Garruk, Gideon, Grist, Huatli, Jace, Jared, Jaya, Jeska, Kaito, Karn, Kasmina, Kaya, Kiora, Koth, Liliana, Lolth, Lukka, Minsc, Mordenkainen, Nahiri, Narset, Niko, Nissa, Nixilis, Oko, Ral, Rowan, Saheeli, Samut, Sarkhan, Serra, Sivitri, Sorin, Szat, Tamiyo, Tasha, Teferi, Teyo, Tezzeret, Tibalt, Tyvar, Ugin, Urza, Venser, Vivien, Vraska, Will, Windgrace, Wrenn, Xenagos, Yanggu, Yanling, and Zariel.
I will ignore non-canon ones like those from AFR and Un-sets. This leaves us with:
Table (warning: it's long) and then small rant
Show
Hide
PW-table-20230216.png
43 out of 67 total are humans, that is 64%. About two thirds. If you take three official planeswalkers at random, on average two of them will be human. WAY too much in my opinion, and as my plan is my own multiverse, I get to make the rules there, so there only 10% of currently known (by me so far, except Jeff that's the only one that's currently public) planeswalkers are human. Is the difference between 64% and 10% loud enough? There is no absolute right or wrong here, but honestly, I don't think or feel that I am the one who's wrong here. Rant's over. Sorry.

DCC Scoreboard

bravelion83 44 (+1)
netn10 43 (+3)
wizyard 42 (+6)
void_nothing 32 (+3)
Rithaniel 31 (+2)
marioguy3 30 (+2)
RattingRots 26 (+2)
Riria 25 (+1)
Levin 9
kwanyeegor-ii 62
WhiteBorderStoneRain 3
wizyard wrote:
1 year ago
void_nothing, Riria

Sunflower 1g
Creature - Plant (U)
Defender
Your devotion to green counts towards your devotion to white, and vice versa.
0/2
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: netn10, wizyard

HM: marioguy3, Levin (even though Final Judgment is already taken as a card name, yes, different spelling technically, but it's still the same word).
Lots of good cards up for vote today.

Low Self-Esteem UB
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature loses all activated and triggered abilities.
Enchanted creature's power and toughness are halved. Round up each time.
"I can no longer understand what used to be second nature to me... I guess I've just become stupid, I see no other explanations."
Levin wrote:
1 year ago
#10 today. If anyone can work out the theme, feel free to join in. But please, keep it here.
Fatespinnerx3br
Creature – Horror (R)
~ enters the battlefield with X * counters on it.
At the beginning of each upkeep, any player may pay 3. If they don't, each player discards their hand, then shuffles their graveyard into their library and reveals cards from the top of their library equal to the number of * counters on ~. They lose life equal to the total mana value of cards they own revealed this way and put those cards into their hand.
4/4
net void
Riria wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: RattingRots, marioguy3 (Gonna be honest, hate the name, doesn't roll off the tongue at all, but I'm so much of a Melvin and so little of a Vorthos that I can overlook)

Deadline Researcher 2U
Creature - Human Advisor (U)
T: Exile the top card of your library. You may play it. Deadline Researcher is staggered until you do. (A creature that is staggered cannot change orientation from tapped to untapped or vice-versa through any means except the condition that staggered it.)
"We might have hints of a cure for cancer, but if we keep leaving projects unfinished, who's ever gonna trust us with grants?"
1/1
Rules note
Show
Hide
The "through any means" is a bit of a simplified hyperbole to make reminder text shorter. You *can* unstagger a staggered permanent by making it lose all its abilities.
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: Rithaniel, kwanyeegor-ii

Tenure Lecture 1W
Sorcery - Lesson (Uncommon)
Target opponent creates a 3/2 red and white Spirit creature token and you draw two cards.
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Votes - bravelion83, RattingRots

Ironclaw Pock-Face 1R
Creature - Orc Leper {U}
Fear
Ironclaw Pock-Face can't block, can't be enchanted, and can't be equipped.
3/2
Rithaniel wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: void_nothing, kwanyeegor-ii
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
@Rithaniel I didn't even think about asymmetry while designing it, I just realized it as you mentioned it. I know you like it. Maybe I should try more of it...
Well, I like asymmetric color combos for the same reason that I like wedges (and obligate-colorless mana (and four-color combos)). They are under-represented, and, I feel, if they got more attention, the game would be better for it. The official makers of MtG limit themselves far too much in that regard.

That Which Refuses
Creature - Elder Horror U
Deathtouch
If That Which Refuses would be put into exile from anywhere, instead shuffle it into your library.
"It is much like me."
—Kzazzasa, the Forgotten

3/2
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: netn10, wizyard

Bear With Me
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Create a 2/2 green Bear creature token. If you cast Bear With Me from your graveyard, create two of those tokens instead.
At the beginning of your end step, you may pay . If you do, you may cast Bear With Me from your graveyard without paying its mana cost. Then exile Bear With Me.
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: wizyard, Rithaniel

Tortise of the World's Axis 1GG
Creature - Turtle Avatar (R)
Vigilance
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a number of +1/+1 counters on Tortoise of the World's Axis equal to 1 plus a fifth of the number of lands you controlled as the turn began, rounded down.
2GG: Choose one. Activate only during your upkeep -
• Take an additional upkeep step after this one.
• You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.
0/7
RattingRots wrote:
1 year ago
marioguy, wizyard

Profane Cataclysm 5BBB
Sorcery (R)
Choose three --
-Destroy target creature.
-Target player draws two cards and loses two life.
-Target player discards two cards.
-Return up to one creature card with mana value three or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
-Put a lifelink counter on each creature you control.
Last edited by bravelion83 1 year ago, edited 8 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Design deadline on the 15th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Votes: netn10, MonoRedMage

Sultai Snakemage 2U
Creature — Naga Wizard (R)
Vigilance
Whenever Sultai Snakemage deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.
2B, T: Each opponent discards a card. Activate this ability only if you've drawn two or more cards this turn.
2G, T: Put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control. Activate this ability only if you've drawn two or more cards this turn.
2/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Design deadline on the 15th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Votes: netn10, RattingRots

Explore the Well
Enchantment (Rare)
You may play an additional two lands during your turn.
At the beginning of your postcombat main phase, if you didn't play a land this turn, draw two cards. You can't play lands this turn.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Riria

Post by Riria » 1 year ago

Votes: netn10, void_nothing

To be Lawful or Good WW
Enchantment (R)
Each player creates four 2/2 white Soldier creature tokens with vigilance.
If two creatures, exactly one of which you control, would die by dealing lethal combat damage to each other, you may discard a card to regenerate yours.
"What cost in lives are you willing to pay to be seen as trustworthy?"

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 1 year ago

Riria, levin

Lost City of Sitnalta
Legendary Land - Island (R)
Lost City of Sitnalta enters the battlefield tapped.
When Lost City of Sitnalta enters the battlefield, it doesn't untap during your next untap step.
T, Return Lost City of Sitnalta to its owner's hand: Add U for each Island you control.
Last edited by wizyard 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Votes: marioguy3, MonoRedMage

Ferigwel, Herald of the Wakanirs 1RR
Legendary Creature - Phoenix (Mythic)
Flying
Cascade
Phoenix cards you cast have cascade.
WB: Until end of turn, you may cast target Phoenix card from your graveyard.
2/2

Levin
Pronoun: any/all

Post by Levin » 1 year ago

#8.
Absolute Justice2uw
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a source a player controls deals damage to any target, that player loses that much life.
Players can't cast more than two spells each turn.
rith rat
A terrible name maker. Suggest names for my creations in PMs.

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

wizyard rithaniel
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

Votes: wizyard, void_nothing

Folk Dancer
Creature - Devil Performer U
: Folk Dancer gains vigilance until end of turn.
: Folk Dancer can't be blocked this turn except by creatures with defender.
Plainscycling
Mountaincycling
"Did I tell you about my cousin? Guy's lost his mind. Abandoned the business to go dancing with some Jumera hippies."
—Siresa Thug

1/3
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 1 year ago

wizyard, netn10

Primal Cataclysm 3GG
Instant (R)
Choose three --
-Destroy target artifact
-Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn.
-Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
-Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.
-Put up to one card from your graveyard on top of your library.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Votes: bravelion83, netn10

Angel of Living Wealth 4W
Creature - Angel (U)
Flying
Whenever Angel of Living Wealth enters or leaves the battlefield, untap up to one artifact, one creature, and one land you control.
3/3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”