The DCC - March 6th, 2023

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

Thanks everyone for all the votes! You will see more of speed up as of my other custom mechanics (rewind, spirit guide, and more, some coming from real custom sets that have been already built, like intensify, others that still have to find a home instead) from time to time, with no planned regularity as of now.

Today I will present you a new one in my roster, which is actually several years old: reload. It comes from the set associated with the long story that I've written and that some of you might have heard about or might even have in your possession. If you have that story indeed in your possession, congratulations, you are one of the very few people in the whole world to have it. Please keep it private (as you all did so far, at least as far as I know) and do not post it anywhere public for any reason. I have to make a third edition someday because there are several details and typos that need fixing. Anyway, if you are one of those people, you should recognize the character from the card that I'm about to post as soon as I'm finished writing this. Otherwise, and this should go for the vast majority of people, both here and in general, please meet Lavko. He's an important character in my story. Not the most important one, but still somewhat important. At least, he's important to me, very important, as all of the characters in that particular story or in future ones that I'm planning to write eventually. Yes, the plan is still ongoing and it's becoming bigger and bigger, with a very important, and groundbreaking I'd dare to say, advancement having just happened a few weeks ago, and I'm not even sure I will manage to get to the end of it in my whole life. Anyway, here is Lavko. He's important to me. Feel free to not vote for this card tomorrow, but please at least treat him well. At least as well as you would treat me. Thank you.

DCC Scoreboard

netn10 14 (+3)
bravelion83 12 (+8)
Riria 12 (+2)
void_nothing 11 (+4)
marioguy3 8 (+1)
wizyard 7 (+2)
RattingRots 6
Rithaniel 5 (+1)
kwanyeegor-ii 4 (+2)
Levin * 1 (+1)

Levin's probation: 1 day left.
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: netn10, Riria
Riria
Show
Hide
Flavorfully your card (Suntail Sailor) could come from one of the several new custom planes in my famous multi-year plan (still ongoing), one that mechanically hasn't really been defined yet, so maybe mechanically too. Hypothetically speaking, if flow is in that set, your card could have been taken straight out of it as is. If flow is not in the set (more likely), just erase the flow line and then it could still be from that set. I have Pirates as a major theme on that plane, and I had planned other races for them to be, but now maybe I should go back and add some leonin Pirates there... And I love the play on the classic trope that cats hate water (not that true actually, at least for the two actual cats left in my house), that makes having leonin Pirates even better! That flavor text is just perfect! Yes, I need to add some leonin on that plane right now... Thanks for the inspiration!

On an unrelated note, is flow supposed to track spells you cast during previous turns? If so, I can see memory issues there... maybe a "this turn" should be added right after "the previous spell you cast"? Also, in "doesn't share any types", does the word "types" actually mean "card types"? If I cast a legendary creature, for example Urza, Lord Protector, and then one of the legendary sorceries from the 2018 Dominaria, for example Urza's Ruinous Blast, do they "share a type" even if "legendary" is a supertype and not a card type? And how about if I cast any Goblin creature, say Goblin Guide, and then Tarfire? "Goblin" is a subtype, do those two spells "share a type" despite being one a creature and the other a tribal instant?
Kaleidoscopic Revelation U
Instant (C)
Choose a color, then reveal the top card of your library. If it's a card of the chosen color, put it into your hand. Otherwise, you may put it on the bottom of your library. (Lands are colorless. Colorless is not a color.)
Riria wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: bravelion83, void_nothing
bravelion
Show
Hide
Welcome. As a previous owner of a british shorthair who I'm not sure *liked* baths, but was too lazy to complain, I know not all cats hate water, but making cards flavored after funny stereotypes is a guilty pleasure of mine.

I don't think flow has memory issues because one of the parameters of flow is that it can never proc on the first spell you cast in a turn. So whenever you type-compare you are always comparing within the same turn, by necessity. I did this specifically for balance reasons, not memory issue reasons, but it works out to solve both.
Yes, type is supposed to be card type, it's meant to count types the same way as tarmogoyf or delirium, good catch!
Makima, Fourth Horseman 3WB
Legendary Creature - Demon Noble (MR)
Vigilance, deathtouch
Sacrifice a creature: Put a shield counter and a +1/+1 counter on Makima.
T, Sacrifice a creature: Target player sacrifices a creature of your choice.
"Kneel."
1/1
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: bravelion83, kwanyeegor-ii

Bullet With Your Name 1
Artifact - Ammo (Rare)
When Bullet With Your Name enters the battlefield, name a legendary creature.
Loaded equipment has "Tap equipped creature if it's untapped and sacrifice Bullet With Your Name: Exile target creature with the chosen name."
Load 1 (1: Attach this to target equipment you control.)
Levin wrote:
1 year ago
void net
Chaos Bolt{2/u}r{2/w}
Instant (r)
~ deals 2 damage to target creature or planeswalker, then deals 2 more damage for each r you spent to cast this spell
If you spent u to cast this spell, that creature or planeswalker can't attack or block, and loses all abilities.
If you spent w to cast this spell, if that creature or planeswalker would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.
"Careful now. I've seen people go down to these, and it's not beautiful. I mean, how they died."
wizyard wrote:
1 year ago
void_nothing, kwanyeegor-ii

Cursed Ring of Azhul 2
Artifact - Equipment (M)
Equipped creature has double strike and indestructible.
When Cursed Ring of Azhul becomes attached to a creature, if that creature has vanishing, remove a time counter from it. Otherwise, put two time counters on that creature and it gains vanishing.
Equip {2/r}{2/w}
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: bravelion83, Riria

Steal Momentum
Instant (Rare)
Destroy target creature with power 5 or greater. You may put up to X +1/+1 counters on target creature, where X was that creature's power.
WhiteBorderStoneRain wrote:
1 year ago
bravelion83, void_nothing
bravelion83
Show
Hide
You would need to exile the cards after or instead of discard, because if the opponent can easily interact with their graveyard or have Madness, etc, then this really messes with your card's function. I think the Speed Up cost can drop by . Being a turn sooner on Speed Up feels like a playable spot for it to sit in because your opponent would likely have more cards in hand, thus more choices of card to gift you. Leaning a bit into the alternate cost being more on-curve and cost-effective helps negate a portion of the disappointment if you strategically decide to hold off and wait for the full cast and the opponent just plays out their hand in the next 4-5 turns. At least in that case, you can comfortably guarantee the 1 for 2 option is there once you hit 3 mana and it would sit in a similar position to Kolaghan's Command, but I'd say it's less powerful than that on average.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
As a direction comparison to Silence, I think that Lapse in Command is a bit too narrow. On the plus side, that narrowness is why I find this card's potential design space so interesting. While Silence can be outright frustrating when abused because it is so all-encompassing, I don't think the same would apply to preventing the casting of Legendary spells, which is only slightly broader than commander spells. I also find that the rest of the text on Lapse in Command feels tacked on and opens it up to usage in an way that doesn't compliment the narrowness or flavor. Split Second is a mechanic that a majority of casual commander players aren't going to like because it straight up prevents interaction, and that's no fun, but also coupling that with an effect that is targeting the life of the format is really going against the current. Going against the current is fine, and it is going to factor into your design, but I think you can drop Split Second unless the aim is to design a card that's a necessary evil. Gaining 2 life doesn't inherently compliment or detract from the card, but I think since you've already gone to a narrow space, why not go further? The first thing I thought about as a unique tack-on to this card was something like "remove N commander damage", or "prevent the next N commander damage dealt this turn." To summarize, I think the bonus text is holding Lapse in Command back from being a very interesting design.
Worker Bees
G
Creature — Insect

Flying (This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with flying and/or reach.)
Sacrifice Worker Bees: Worker Bees deals 1 damage to target player.
A deck can have any number of cards named Worker Bees.

Inspired by Thrumming Stone combos.

0/1
RattingRots wrote:
1 year ago
bravelion83, marioguy

Curator's Excursion 1B
Sorcery (U)
Exile target card from a graveyard. Surveil X, where X is the exiled card's mana value.
Draw a card.
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: wizyard, netn10

Recurring Dream Sequence 3RR
Sorcery (U)
Exile the top two cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards. Whenever you cast a noncreature spell this way, you may copy that spell and choose new targets for the copy.
Rithaniel wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: bravelion83, wizyard

Telaakon, Who Aspired
Legendary Creature - Human R
, Pay 2 life: Draw a card. Then, if you have more cards in your hand than each opponent, Telaakon becomes a Demon with flying.
, Pay 4 life: If Telaakon is a Demon, exile target creature. If a God is exiled this way, Telaakon becomes a Demon God with flying and indestructible.
, Pay 6 life, sacrifice an Elder creature: If Telaakon is a God, exile all other nonland permanents. Then Telaakon loses all abilities and becomes an Elder Horror with base power and toughness 1/1 and indestructible.
3/3
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
levin rithaniel
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Design deadline on the 15th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Votes: RattingRots, marioguy3

To be extra clear: this is NOT a card from the custom set that's associated with my story, but it could have been if I had thought of it as I was making the set. It could easily be in a return to that plane. Anyway, as I've said, please treat him well. He and his family mean a lot to me.

Lavko's Recruitment 1UR
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature has haste and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature and draw a card."
Reload 2 (You may cast this card from your graveyard by removing two +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control in addition to paying its other costs. Exile it if it would leave the battlefield.)
"Passion, zeal, competence, control under pressure... You've got all the perfect skills to be an excellent 'fighter, recruit!"
—Lavko Kratich, Chief Firefighter
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Design deadline on the 15th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 1 year ago

RattingRots, WhiteBorderStoneRain

Thoughtshifter 2u
Creature - Shapeshifter (R)
When Thoughtshifter enters the battlefield, exile any number of permanent cards from your hand, then draw that many cards.
Thoughtshifter has all activated abilities of cards exiled with it.
2/2

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Votes: Riria, bravelion83

Wizardly Manufacturer
Creature - Wizard (Uncommon)
Whenever you untap one or more creatures for the first time each turn, create a 2/2 blue Drake creature token with flying.
, : Untap another target permanent.
1/3
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Levin
Pronoun: any/all

Post by Levin » 1 year ago

mario, rith
Azlanoth, the Ascension3{2/c}{2/w}{2/u}{2/b}{2/r}{2/g}
Legendary Creature – God (M)
As you cast ~, you may pay x. If you do, exile up to X target cards from a graveyards.
~ has all abilities of permanent cards exiled by cards named ~
You may cast instant and sorcery spells exiled by cards named ~, and the first spell you cast this way each turn costs 0 instead.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, return all cards exiled by cards named ~ to their owners' graveyards. For each card put into a graveyard this way, each player gains 1 life.
3: Target player exiles a card from their hand or graveyard.
6: Exile target permanent. If it wasn't a land, add cc.
10/10
A terrible name maker. Suggest names for my creations in PMs.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Votes: Rithaniel, void_nothing

Ace in the Hole R
Sorcery (Rare)
Deck of Cards (This card requires a standard deck of four suites, each with thirteen cards from ace to king. If you would and could draw from your main deck, you may draw from the standard deck instead.)
Discard an Ace card. If you do, draw three cards.

Riria

Post by Riria » 1 year ago

Votes: void_nothing, RattingRots (this is the kind of card which I vote for because, while it's not anything special, it's so minimalistic and obvious a design space that it genuinely surprises me it hasn't been printed yet. In other words, sometimes 0/3 creativity is an upside.)

Iomedae's Endorsement 1WW
Instant (R)
Return to the battlefield all creature cards in your graveyard that were put there from the battlefield this turn. Those that dealt combat damage this turn enter with an additional +1/+1 counter.
You should, generally speaking, do things that are uncomplicatedly Good. But there is a time and place when ends justify the means.

WhiteBorderStoneRain

Post by WhiteBorderStoneRain » 1 year ago

Votes: wizyard, Levin
Glistening Kiss
uubbgg
Enchantment — Saga

I: Each opponent mills thirty cards. You draw three cards.

II: Each opponents puts a planeswalker card from their graveyard onto the battlefield. Then you put all planeswalker cards from all graveyards onto the battlefield under your control.

III: Each opponent who controls a planeswalker gets 9 poison counters.

Jace sighed, moving closer. Vraska leaned in to meet him, and their lips met, one last kiss shared in the shadow of the end. "For the glory of Phyrexia," she purred.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Votes: WhiteBorderStoneRain, Rithaniel

Cell of Breathstealers 3BBB
Creature - NIghtstalker (R)
Haste
Cell of Breathstealers can't be blocked except by three or more creatures.
When Cell of Breathstealers dies, each player loses 3 life and you create three 2/1 black Nightstalker creature tokens.
6/3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 1 year ago

Riria (though I'm not a huge fan of the psuedotargetted sac effect to be honest), void_nothing
HM: Rithaniel
Show
Hide
This is an interesting idea in a few ways but I think it's a pretty big issue that even after it becomes a demon, you can still keep necro-ing which seems very strong at least in some situations as well as a bit too much of an incentive to just use it as a necro effect.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Riria wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: void_nothing, RattingRots (this is the kind of card which I vote for because, while it's not anything special, it's so minimalistic and obvious a design space that it genuinely surprises me it hasn't been printed yet. In other words, sometimes 0/3 creativity is an upside.)
Very much appreciated. The goal with a lot of my card designs is to hit that zone so glad when the cards work for people (at least hypothetically).

That being said today's submission is going to be literally my least favorite effect people do in custom card designs (and might just break the rules).
Aether Emulator 2
Artifact Creature (R)
Abilities that would trigger when a spell is cast instead trigger when a spell resolves.
2/1
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

Votes: netn10, wizyard

Kethid, Who Regretted
Legendary Creature - Elf R
: Target creature you control fights another target creature. Then, if a creature died this way, Kethid loses this ability and becomes an Elf Druid with base power and toughness 0/7.
: If Kethid is a Druid, create a 0/2 blue Spirit creature token with "Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to this creature." Then, if you control five or more of those tokens, Kethid becomes an Elf God with indestructible.
, Sacrifice Kethid: You may cast a card from your hand without paying its mana cost. Activate this ability only if Kethid is a God.
3/3
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

netn10 rattingrots
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 1 year ago

deleted
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”