Pronoun: he / him

Post by Cythare » 4 years ago

wonderful wrote:
4 years ago
Cythare wrote:
4 years ago
Mind Grifter UBB
Creature - Zombie Rogue (R)
Whenever an opponent draws a card except the first one they draw in their draw step each turn, return Mind Grifter to the battlefield tapped at the beginning of the next end step.
Exile two other creature cards from your graveyard: Each player draws a card. Activate this ability only if Mind Grifter is in your graveyard or in exile.
4/3

GIT GOOD DREDGE

IIW: Faeries
I assume this was meant to say "return Mind Grifter from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped" - or possibly graveyard or exile considering you can activate it from gy/exile. I do like it. At first it looks like a jumble of text, but it actually turns out interesting. Aside from obvious Dredge problems, I don't think it's actually overpowered in something like standard, but is potentially pretty neat. I kind of wish it wasn't activate-able from exile, those last 3 words just seem off.
It was meant to just return from the graveyard, not from exile also, but that wouldn't have aligned with the last ability. Alas.

Goblin Spook 1R
Creature — Goblin Rogue (U)
Menace
Goblin swap 1R (1R: Exchange this Goblin with a Goblin permanent card in your hand.)
1/1

Extended [object] swap rules: If the object previously on the battlefield was attacking, the exchanged object is now attacking. If it was blocking or was blocked, it is blocking or being blocked by the same other objects. Anything previously attached to the object will be attached to the new object. If the new object isn't a creature, it is simply put onto the battlefield, and anything previously attached to it that can't be attached to the new object become unattached.

Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

secret identities
Show
Hide
Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
Late Aristocrat
Show
Hide
Gregarious Adventurer
2W
Creature - Human Warrior
When Gregarious Adventurer enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Warrior creature token. If it was cast from a graveyard, create two of those tokens instead.

Auspicious Start 1W
Sorcery - Adventure
Gain 5 life. (Then exile this card. You may cast the creature later from exile.)
2/2
Vexing Interloper
1R
Creature - Devil Ninja
Ninjutsu R (R, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
Whenever Vexing Interloper deals combat damage to a player, that player reveals the top card of their library, draws it, and then puts a random card from their hand on the bottom of their library.
2/1

IIW: A cycle from a five faction color balanced world with a mix of wedges and shards (ex: WUB, BGU, GUR, RGW, RWB)
Ninjutsu in red is definitely interesting and feels appropriate with respect to their aggressive and chaotic nature. The trigger ability is a little plain though and doesn't feel fully in pie; red does peek at cards occasionally but the way this does it feels much more blue. The rest of the ability is a small variant on the Skullknocker Ogre text, and the Ogre is one of my least favourite cards printed in Eldraine, so that gives you an idea of where I'm at on this card.
SecondBestFriend wrote:
4 years ago
Peek Sneaker U
Creature- Faerie Rogue (Rare)
Flying
Your opponents play with their hands revealed.
2W,T, Sacrifice Peek Sneaker: Name a nonland card. The named card cannot be played this turn. Activate this ability only during an upkeep.
1/1

IIW: Choose a tribe. Make a mechanic associated with that tribe (like how tolls are associated with regenerate and hexproof)
I like the overall package, but the timing restriction on the activated ability feels awkward and archaic. There hasn't been an upkeep-only activated ability printed since Kuldotha Phoenix and for good reason. Turning it into a combat damage sacrifice trigger (along with "the named card can't be played during that player's next turn") would move it in line with current design sensibilities and also make the card a bit more interactive.
Flatline wrote:
4 years ago
Pry u
Sorcery — Adventure (R)
Look at target player's hand.
Draw a card.
///
Spying Sprite 1wu
Creature — Faerie (R)
As Spying Sprite enters the battlefield, choose a nonland card name.
Spells with the chosen name can't be cast.
2/1

IIW: Non-token Food
If this is a Faerie, it really should have flying, but if it has flying I think it's probably too strong, so it should have a different creature type. That nitpick aside, Meddling Mage is nothing new, and for me the fun of Meddling Mage is either combining it with other cards that let you peek, or guessing based on circumstance what cards your opponent might have in hand. Stapling a peek straight to the card removes the skill-testing part of Meddling Mage and makes it less interesting.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
4 years ago
Esper like the Final Fantasy summon. Consume is just a keyword ability for "<casting cost>, sacrifice ~: Do Something"

Summon of the Flame 2R
Creature - Spirit Elemental (U)
Haste, trample
Consume - 2R, Sacrifice Summon of the Flame: Create an X/1 red elemental creature token with haste and trample, where X is the number of creatures you control.
2/1

IIW: A mechanic from the next Theros.
If this is what most Consume cards will look like, then I don't think this is a great showcase for Consume, as it feels like there's too little, both flavourfully and mechanically, connecting Consume cards to one another to really justify the use of an ability word. Ability words are supposed to be mnemonic in nature, and considering there's plenty of cards that sacrifice themselves for a cost and an effect in Magic, it seems unnecessary and potentially confusing to link these specific cards together. All that said, this looks like a potentially powerful build-around-ish uncommon for a draft environment, though controlling a bunch of creatures isn't the most inspired thing to be doing.
chetoos wrote:
4 years ago
Kaya, Deathless Assassin
Legendary Planeswalker - Kaya (Rare)
Permanents your opponents control with hexproof may be targeted as though they didn't have hexproof.
+2 - Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. When that creature dies this turn, you gain 2 life.
-5 - Exile target creature

IIW: Uncommon walkers from war of the spark upshifted to rare.
While I do see your IIW, having a near copy-paste of a previous walker in Kaya, Bane of the Dead isn't a good look. The first ability needs an "up to" so that you can activate it if there's no creatures in play. The card itself is a killing machine without any of the cool flavour the original Kaya had, and since moving a walker to rare opens up more room for those types of fun abilities, it would have been nice to see that rather than "+ for weak removal" and "- for strong removal".
mellifluoresce wrote:
4 years ago
Orcish Assassin 2R
Creature - Orc Assassin (R)
Orcish Assassin enters the battlefield tapped.
At the beginning of your end step, choose a tapped creature at random. Orcish Assassin deals 3 damage to that creature.
2/2

IIW: Existential dredge
Red Royal Assassin. It feels a little weird for red to be punishing tapped creatures, considering that's what most of its creatures like to be doing. This feels like an old-school goofy card a la Orcish Librarian or (appropriately enough) Goblin Assassin, especially considering its potentially suicidal nature. When it comes to actual gameplay though, the fact that this can just nug itself feels bad, and the fact that it's correct for players to just not attack while this is out feels even worse. This only triggering on your end step also makes it a strict downside for you, since one of the ways you can play around this trigger is by attacking with 4+ toughness creatures. Your opponents can do that with impunity, but if you try to do the same thing they can chump with their smaller creatures and put your big creatures in range of the Assassin.
Subject16 wrote:
4 years ago
Shadowspore Thallid 3BG
Creature - Fungus Ninja (Rare)
Ninjutsu 2BG
Whenever Shadowspore Thallid deals combat damage to a player, put a Spore counter on target creature that player controls.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on each permanent with a spore counter on it, ten for each permanent an opponent controls with three or more spore counters on them, that player sacrifices that permanent and you create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.
The thallid's strike was deadly. The poison only needed time to bear fruit.
3/3

IIw: Mercenaires or Rebels
While I did like Cardz' red Ninjutsu card, Ninjutsu in green doesn't really feel appropriate. Green just isn't very sneaky in any way, and the flavour of Ninjutsu here feels like a total miss. That said, the mechanics and flavour of of its other abilities are pretty interesting and fun. The second ability is a little busy - a part of me feels like it should be only doing one (pumping your Funguses full of spores) or the other (pumping your opponents' stuff full of spores) - but I could see Wizards printing this in a Time Spiral-esque set. Just remove Ninjutsu, change it from a Ninja to an Assassin, and maybe play around with the mana cost and stats and you've got a neat package.
wonderful wrote:
4 years ago
Viashino Vileblade 2R
Creature - Viashino Assassin (R)
Haste
B: Viashino Vileblade gains deathtouch until end of turn.
T: Viashino Vileblade deals 1 damage to any target.
At the beginning of your end step, return Viashino Vileblade to its owner's hand.
"We've got a mission. Get in and get out."
1/1

iiw: illusions
A deathtouch pinger is swell, but I feel like this is not the way to do it. The fact that there isn't a black mana symbol in the mana cost is somewhat deceptive, as playing this without black is a terrible choice as you're left with a Cunning Sparkmage you need to pay upkeep on every turn. And if you are playing black, this is just a 2RB sorcery speed (almost) unconditional removal spell with buyback that requires your opponent to have an instant speed removal spell or be effectively locked out of sticking most creatures to the table for the rest of the game. Maybe instead of the return trigger, have the deathtouch activation make it so that it doesn't untap during the next untap step; that way your opponent can interact at sorcery speed and it also means you can only unconditionally kill things every other turn. Still, I feel like there needs to be a bigger hoop to jump through than just paying some mana to get the deathtouch + ping combo on one card.
Cythare wrote:
4 years ago
Goblin Spook 1R
Creature — Goblin Rogue (U)
Menace
Goblin swap 1R (1R: Exchange this Goblin with a Goblin permanent card in your hand.)
1/1

Extended [object] swap rules: If the object previously on the battlefield was attacking, the exchanged object is now attacking. If it was blocking or was blocked, it is blocking or being blocked by the same other objects. Anything previously attached to the object will be attached to the new object. If the new object isn't a creature, it is simply put onto the battlefield, and anything previously attached to it that can't be attached to the new object become unattached.

Aura swap but for Goblins is a cute take. Goblins are generally small enough that even paying 2 (4 in total) for them is unlikely to be that big of a blowout, so this feels fair. I'm unsure if Wizards considers this appropriate complexity for modern design, but if this is in Modern Horizons 2 or something I'm pretty sure it'll fly, though it should probably be a rare. Menace is great here, as it really makes your opponent think about whether they want to block it or not; you might slam down a Goblin Goon and chunk them or their creatures for a ton, or you might sneak in an extra point with Siege-Gang Commander while also getting some mana savings. I'm a fan.
victorious entities
Show
Hide
WINNER: Cythare!
HM: Subject16, SecondBestFriend

NEXT CHALLENGE: Faeries
"Image"

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 4 years ago

Brazen Borrower 1UB
Creature - Faerie Rogue (R)
Flying
When Brazen Borrower enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals their hand. You choose a noncreature, nonland card from it. Exile that card until Brazen Borrower leaves the battlefield.
You may cast cards exiled with Brazen Borrower.
2/1

IIW: existential dredge
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

SecondBestFriend
Exuberant!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by SecondBestFriend » 4 years ago

Woodland Dirgybimble 1G
Creature- Faerie (U)
Flying
When Woodland Dirgybimble deals combat damage to a player, untap another target tapped permanent you control. If you can't, draw a card.
"Whoever heard of green faeries?" -Unnamed Planeswalker
1/1

IIW: Gahh!! I'm Scared!!
The Gay Cartoon Army vs. Your Team!

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Esryn, Maralen's Eyes 1UB
Legendary Creature - Faerie Wizard (Rare)
Flying
If an opponent would draw a card except for the first card they draw each turn, instead exile that many cards from the top of their library. For each nonland card with converted mana cost 3 or less exiled this way, create a 1/1 black Faerie Rogue creature token with flying.
WUBRG: Target player draws X cards and gains X life, where X is the number of Faeries you control.
2/2

IIW: Combined creatures

Stapler
is a liar

Vexing Tricksters 2U
Creature - Faerie (R)
Flying
When Vexing Tricksters enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 blue Faerie creature token with flying.
1U: Change a target of target spell or ability to a Faerie you control.
"Hey! Over here!"
1/1

IIW: Run away
"Image"

wonderful

Post by wonderful » 4 years ago

Trinket Thief 2U
Creature - Faerie Rogue (U)
Flying
When Trinket Thief enters the battlefield, gain control of target artifact with converted mana cost less than or equal to the number of faeries you control.
1/2

iiw: multicolor bears

TheRavenManIsSquee
the Grinch of club flamingo

Post by TheRavenManIsSquee » 4 years ago

Mischievous Fairies 2U
Creature- Fairy (R)
Flying
When Mischievous Fairies enters the battlefield, look at the top 3 cards of target opponents library. You may put any number of those cards on the bottom of that library.
2/1
IIW: Create a card that represents a history event in MTG, only rewritten.
(Coalition Victory would turn into a card called Phyrexia's rise)
My MTGA username is TheOneTrueMouse. My username for this site is nothing if not factual.

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

Plucky Filcher
UBR
Creature - Faerie Pirate
Flying
Whenever Plucky Filcher deals combat damage to an opponent, choose one —
• Create a Treasure token.
• Gain control of target artifact that player controls with converted mana cost equal to or less than the number of artifacts you control.
1/2

IIW: Peasants vs Cowards

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

I almost forgot about this because it's Arena ELD release day, but I didn't!

melli - This is closer to what the flavor of Brazen Borrower means. I feel like it probably should have the "color fixing" text that cards have now, but otherwise I like the rate here.
SecondBestFriend - I like the modality of untapping or drawing, but I don't like flying in green. If this had another keyword that was a better color fit, I'd be on board.
Subject16 - Esryn gets out of hand pretty easily, and I'm not a huge fan of the rainbow ability. It feels like it's been shoehorned for Commander when it could really just be Esper at most.
Stapler - This is cute! Also an interesting Build Your Own Counterspell with Scion of Oona for the low, low price of 3UU which is actually not even a bad rate for what you get.
wonderful - I like the rate on this and that it makes tribal matter in a way that feels like it scales appropriately and flavorfully.
TheRavenManIsSquee - I'm generally not a fan of fateseal, and fateseal 3 attached to a 2/1 flier seems strong in a really unfun way. I'd want this to be a mythic so it wouldn't show up in drafts.
Cardz5000 - Pretty cute, but feels UR and not B since it's artifact-specific stealing. Having an out of just creating treasure is a nice touch, but I wish it was a 2-color spell.

HMs: Stapler, melli
Winner: wonderful

Next: multicolor bears
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

ForestsCarl

Post by ForestsCarl » 4 years ago

Soul Mystic GW
Creature - Cat Druid (U)
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you gain 1 life.
T: Add G.
2/2

IiW
An enchantment worth Mirrormade-ing

Stapler
is a liar

Master Peonist WB
Creature - Thrull Cleric (R)
Extort (Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay (W/B). If you do, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.)
During each of your turns, you may cast one creature card with converted mana cost 1 from your graveyard.
There will always be a much larger slave.
2/2

IIW: Troll 2
Last edited by Stapler 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"Image"

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

Spelltwined Weird
(u/r)(u/r)
Creature - Weird
Flash
As an additional cost to cast Spelltwined Weird, exile a sorcery card you control from the stack.
Whenever Spelltwined Weird deals combat damage to a player, you may cast a copy of the exiled spell without paying its mana cost.
2/2
Roiling Oracle
RG
Creature - Elemental Druid
When Roiling Oracle enters the battlefield, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card, put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, you may cast it.
2/2

IIW: Peasants vs Cowards

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Ursine Battalion 1GW
Creature - Bear Soldier (R)
Ursine Battalion enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.
Vigilance, trample
Whenever Ursine Battalion deals combat damage to a player, you may remove a +1/+1 counter from it. If you do, create a 2/2 green and white Bear Soldier creature token.
2/2

IIW: existential dredge
Club Flamingo Alumnus

SPOILER
Show
Hide

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 4 years ago

Forsaken of Ayula GB
Creature - Bear Zombie (Rare)
Whenever another bear enters the battlefield, choose one:
  • You draw a card and lose one life
  • Put a +1/+1 counter on target bear you control. That bear gains deathtouch until end of turn.
2/2
This is for a hypothetical modern horizons 2. The card is at rare both as a callback to Ayula herself, but also because that's where all the repeatable phyrexian arena effects tend to be, and the second ability is also probably rare enough as well.
IIW: Upscale an uncommon walker from WotS to rare.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 4 years ago

Grizzly Mum 2BG
Creature - Bear (U)
When Grizzly Mum enters the battlefield, create a 2/2 green Bear creature token.
When Grizzly Mum dies, if you control another Bear, return it to the battlefield transformed.
2/2

//

Dead Grizzly Mum
b Creature - Bear (U)
Deathtouch
If a creature an opponent controls would fight a creature you control, it fights Dead Grizzly Mum instead
2/2

IIW: When ~ dies, ... transformed

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Flustered Apprentice GU
Creature - Human Wizard (U)
1GU, Exile Flustered Apprentice: Exile target creature. Its controller creates a 2/2 green Bear creature token.
His next practical assignment, "Theorems of ursine transmogrification and its applications" was becoming a bear.
2/2

IIW: Noncreature cards that become/turn things into creatures.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Grisly Bears BG
Creature - Zombie Bear (U)
When Grisly Bears enters the battlefield, target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the greatest power among Zombie creatures you control.
2/2

IIW: A preview card for Theros: Beyond Death that could appear in Signature Spellbook: Kiora.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 4 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Grisly Bear 1bg
Creature — Zombie Bear (U)
When Grisly Bear enters the battlefield, target creature an opponent controls gets -2/-2 until end of turn. Then you may have Grisly Bear fight that creature.
2/2
Gruesome Grizzly 1bg
Creature — Zombie Bear (U)
When Gruesome Grizzly enters the battlefield, target creature an opponent controls gets -2/-2 until end of turn. Then you may have Gruesome Grizzly fight that creature.
2/2

Dang it! As soon as I posted this, I realized that Cythare's card had the same name. :(

IIW: Non-token food.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

wonderful

Sorry! I rushed out the door this morning and my phone had no internet most of the day. Will do quick judging now:

Soul Mystic: this is fine. Good rate, playable card.
Master Peonist: very fun. Sweet card, the type of thing I'd like to build around. The extort here is a nice touch.
Spelltwine Weird: this one is very weird.. haha! But really, cool concept. I like it.
Roiling Oracle: very cute. This is how we color shift a card.
Ursine Batallion: wow this thing is big. Neat ability. I feel like the tokens should have vigilance too? And maybe the trample makes it too good at 4/4 and multiplying for only 3 mana.
Forsaken of Ayula: nice counter to ayula. The abilities choices are good.
Grizzly Mum: unique! This backside is a very cool idea I haven't seen before, though kind of narrow. I'd like to see it as a flagBearer ability instead of only for fighting - maybe lose a little flavor, but gain vursatility.
Flustered Apprentice: not bad. I like the idea. Think I'd want some different numbers - the guy doing the exiling feels like a 1/1 in flavor, especially considering turning into a bear certainly ups their power level, and I'd mess with mana costs to reflect that.
Grisly Bears: I suppose this is fine. Maybe undercosted for limited? Pretty cheap for a mini ftk. Thinking of semi-recent first thing coming to mind is wasteland strangler, at 3 mana, and you had to hop through a hoop for that at rare.
Gruesome Grizzly: think this is closer to appropriate power level, and I like the neg effect into fighting, it's a slightly refreshing take on all the "pump my guy then fight" even if essentially the same result.

I enjoyed a lot of these cards, and I appreciate the creativity and different interpretations of the challenge!

Winner: Stapler
Next: troll 2

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 4 years ago

Bridge Lurker 1RG
Creature - Troll (R)
Morph 2RG
When Bridge Lurker is turned face up, it gains first strike until end of turn.
Whenever a creature dealt damage by Bridge Lurker this turn dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Bridge Lurker.
3/3

IIW: Tower defense

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 4 years ago

Weary Traveler b
Sorcery — Adventure (U)
Create a 1/1 white Human creature token.
//
Toll Bridge Troll 3b
Creature — Troll (U)
Menace
When Toll Bridge Troll enters the battlefield, each player sacrifices a creature.
3/2

IIW: Non-token food.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

wonderful

Hungering Troll 2BG
Creature - Troll Zombie (R)
Hungering Troll enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each creature that died this turn.
BG, Sacrifice two creatures: Return Hungering Troll from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
2/2

iiw: treefolk

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Let the Peat Drop 2BB
Sorcery (U)
Create two Foods, then target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the number of Foods you control.
Whenever one or more creatures die this turn, create a black Troll creature token with "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Foods you control."

IIW: A preview card for Theros: Beyond Death that could appear in Signature Spellbook: Kiora.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Controll Magic 5UUB
Enchantment - Aura (M)
Enchant public zone
You control enchanted zone. (You make all decisions for and control all permanents and cards in the enchanted zone.)

IIW: Get trolled
Club Flamingo Alumnus

SPOILER
Show
Hide

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”