Eldrazi Mimic question

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

hi, for example I have an Eldrazi Mimic and a Ruination Guide in play. Cast a Vile Aggregate. Copy the Vile aggregate with the mimic.. would eldrazi mimic be a 5/5 total power toughness?

Accepted Answer

by WiseWarriorQc » 4 years ago
Yes, the Mimic would end up 5/5 in total. Vile Aggregate enters 4/5 (3 base power from you controlling 3 colorless creatures, +1/+0 from Ruination Guide) so that's what Mimic's base p/t becomes, and it gets the +1/+0 from Ruination Guide on top of that.

I'll mention in passing that Mimic's ability doesn't technically *copy* anything, the term "copy" having very specific meaning in the rules. If Mimic became a copy of Vile Aggregate, it would only be 4/5 because the Guide's effect on the original Aggregate wouldn't be copied, but what Mimic's ability does is look at the entering creature's actual p/t with effects and makes that the Mimic's base p/t, over which effects can apply.
Go to full post
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

WiseWarriorQc
Answers: 13
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WiseWarriorQc » 4 years ago

Yes, the Mimic would end up 5/5 in total. Vile Aggregate enters 4/5 (3 base power from you controlling 3 colorless creatures, +1/+0 from Ruination Guide) so that's what Mimic's base p/t becomes, and it gets the +1/+0 from Ruination Guide on top of that.

I'll mention in passing that Mimic's ability doesn't technically *copy* anything, the term "copy" having very specific meaning in the rules. If Mimic became a copy of Vile Aggregate, it would only be 4/5 because the Guide's effect on the original Aggregate wouldn't be copied, but what Mimic's ability does is look at the entering creature's actual p/t with effects and makes that the Mimic's base p/t, over which effects can apply.
I'm a former judge (lapsed), who keeps up to date on rules and policy. Keep in mind that judges' answers aren't necessarily more valid than those of people who aren't judges; what matters is we can quote the rules to back up our answers. When in doubt, ask for such quotes.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

thanks for the clarification and explanation. that helps a lot. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”