NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

NinjaCaterpie
Pronoun: he / him

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 4 years ago

Subject16 | Words of Passion:
Once upon a time, there lived a child, but all of his friends disliked him because he could play with two toys at once.
Stapler | Finn, the Human // Adventure Time, Release the Wraiths, Dwarven Food Fight:
This was because his father was rich and could afford expensive toys. However, one day he met a girl who was very, very clever. She offered to trade a flavourful pie for a toy.
wonderful | Flesh Buffet, Extended Lunch:
Secretly, it was enchanted to taste disgusting even though it looked fancy. Even though he liked food that was its own container, he couldn't eat it.
chetoos | Street Rat // Ahead of the Breadline:
The rich boy was very sad because of how restrictive he realised his life was.
Megiddo | Ardenvale Wheelwright:
Wait, Vehicles aren't - oh, I see.
mellifluoresce | Embereth Archers:
He thought to himself that maybe it was OK to be boring.
spacemonaut | Pursuing Giant:
But then he decided that no, he had to get his revenge - and not some weak punisher, either.
Sagharri | Strange Stray:
He knew the trickster liked animals, and bought a very cute kitten
ForestsCarl | Garruk x2:
I think we need to have a talk about your reading comprehension.
Cythare | Oven Mitt, Locthwain Spy:
He baked a most delicious pie and served it to the girl afterwards claiming it was a kitten pie. He cackled at himself at how smart he had been.
TheRavenManIsSquee | Questing Sword:
However, it became obvious that it was not a kitten pie because, while it tasted interesting and new, it was the wrong colour, and cooked so poorly it could not be eaten.
Cythare (Again) | One for the Road:
It turned out that his incredible plot had not been as mythical as he had thought.
Cardz5000 | Raving Visionary // Fervent Research, Well Provisioned:
He felt sad because he had spent a lot of money on the kitten. However, the girl thought he was funny that he had tried to get his revenge with a clever trick.
Mergatroid_Jones | Gingerbread House:
He then gifted the girl with the expensive kitten and they became best of friends even though they were 2 mana out of each others league the end.

Winner: Cythare for Oven Mitt.
HMs: Stapler for Release the Wraiths, Cardz5000 for Well Provisioned.
actual judgements?
Show
Hide
Subject16: Steal 2 seems pretty crazy so I don't know how to gauge the power.
Stapler: Finn is OK, Adventure Time seems expensive but maybe the one played in burn is undercosted. Release the Wraiths is super cool.
wonderful: Flesh Buffet's name is disgusting. Should be a food or not be an artifact. Extended lunch is nice, I like these mechanics fuel / spender combo cards
chetoos: There are a lot of black symbols and not a lot of black card.
Megiddo:
mellifluoresce: it's ok. i am unexcited.
spacemonaut: I think I get the flavour. I think it seems good.
Sagharri: Cute
Cythare: I love Oven Mitts so much, it's just so funny. Locthwain Spy is also a clever twist. I think it's pushing into the realm of "too clever" though.
TheRavenManIsSquee: Reckon it should be black if it's an unrestricted resurrect (even though storywise it is the white queen who has it). It's kind of pointless for it to be adamant because it's basically useless without being cast as black.
Cythare again: This is so stupid it's funny.
Cardz5000: Both sides of visionary seem very expensive. Well provisioned is clever cool and I like it.
Mergatroid_Jones: Neat, but seems pretty weak.
Next: The secret sixth colorless court

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Calatyrn, Disappeared Master 2CCC
Legendary Creature - Wraith Noble (R)
Lifelink
Colorless creature spells you cast cost 1 less to cast.
CCC, T: Create a token that's a copy of another target colorless creature you control, except it has base power 5/2 and gains lifelink.
5/2

Tir-na-Zelth Paladin 2C
Creature - Wraith Knight (C)
Hexproof
Adamant - If at least three colorless mana was spent to cast this spell, Tir-na-Zelth Paladin enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
2/1

IIW: Magic's take on Looney Tunes or the Muppets, only played seriously
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 4 years ago

Castle Ivenduane
Land (R)
Castle Ivenduane enters the battlefield tapped unless you control another land that produces C.
T: Add C.
3,T, Pay 2 life: Search your library for an artifact or colorless card and reveal that card. Shuffle your library, then put the card on top of it.

IIW: Something for the upcoming set Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths.

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 4 years ago

Jonn, Processing Plant Supervisor 2CC
Legendary Creature - Human Nightmare (R)
T, Sacrifice a creature: Create a Food token.
Foods you control have "T, Sacrifice this permanent: You gain 1 life."
2/4

IIW: Nicholas Cage
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Syr Gashwyn, the Forgotten 3CC
Legendary Creature - Spirit Knight (Uncommon)
Vigilance
If Syr Gashwyn, the Forgotten would be destroyed, sacrifice a Spirit instead.
3C: Create a 2/2 colorless Spirit Knight creature token.
Some heroes never make their way into fable.
5/3

IIW: Changing colors matters

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

The Stone Sword 6CC
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (M)
The Stone Sword costs 2 less to cast for each legendary permanent you control.
Equipped creature gets +6/+6 and has protection from non-Legendary permanents.
Equip legendary creature - 2

IIW: Spies, assassins, or espers.
"Image"

NinjaCaterpie

Time for a Xeno* twist! Eldraine isn't a naturally occurring world full of magical creatures and fairytales - it's the result of a supercomputer trying to reinvigorate a post-apocalyptic Earth. With only fairytales to guide it, it and its colorless agents work behind the scenes to keep the magic alive.

The Simulant Core 8CC
Legendary Artifact (M)
This spell costs 2 less to cast for each artifact or enchantment you reveal from your hand as you cast it.
Whenever a nontoken permanent of one color enters the battlefield under your control, you may create a token that's a copy of it.
3: Add three mana of any one color.

Castle Extetron
Land (R)
Castle Extetron enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Waste.
T: Add C
1CC, T: Untap up to two target artifacts or enchantments.

Syr Ixus, the Hidden 3CC
Legendary Creature - Construct Knight (U)
Vigilance
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, put a +1/+1 counter on another target creature.
2/6

IIW: Dark places and shadowy deals

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 4 years ago

Not the most popular challenge, so may as well judge now!

void_nothing - Minor syntax aside, Calatyrn is interesting. I'd have been slightly more excited if this card reduced the cost by C to embrace the colorless-specific theme instead of just reducing generic (and therefore artifacts). I'm not sure about lifelink as a colorless ability, but it's fairly undefined territory. For the common, I like hexproof as a colorless ability, as it kinda plays into the otherworldly/unknowable nature carved out by the Eldrazi already for colorless cards.
Mergatroid_Jones - Castle Ivenduane is cool. Being able to use it to search for any non-Dryad Arbor land is maybe an unintended side effect of it (including being able to find multiples of itself that it will cause to enter untapped), but with a nonland clause, I'd be all about this. Being able to find colored artifacts was a bit weird to me at first, but I'm fine with it in the context of being backwards compatible while still making this more live in the context of an Eldraine-like set where it was stated that they'll be using colored artifacts more as appropriate.
melliflouresce - "Processing Plant Supervisor" doesn't feel very Eldraine-y, but the text of the card is neat.
Subject16 - Making Spirit Knights is a neat nod to having it function to support existing tribal stuff without being over the top. Repeatable 4-mana 2/2s on a 5/3 for 5 is maybe a bit much, but that's more of a development knob (I'd probably want the token to cost 5 to make so it's harder to churn out 2/turn in late-game).
Stapler - Neat. Not having a non-legendary equip option might make this a feelbad mythic to open in your pool, and it otherwise makes the card very swingy based on board state. It's a cool concept, though.
NinjaCaterpie - The Simulant Core is odd in that it requires colorless mana but then rewards you for monocolored play, but plays into the story you've invented. Castle Extetron needs some templating changes - it should be "unless you control a land named Wastes", but otherwise looks cool. I really like Syr Ixus, the Hidden - it plays into the "artifacts and enchantments" theme you've defined for colorless without leaning too strongly on it, and feels like a solid roleplayer.

Winner: Ninja Caterpie for Syr Ixus, the Hidden
HM: void_nothing for Tir-na-Zelth Paladin and Mergatroid_Jones
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

That makes the challenge "Dark places and shadowy deals" folks,
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
That makes the challenge "Dark places and shadowy deals" folks,
Yep, my bad.

Aetherflue Bog
Land (R)
Aetherflue Bog enters the battlefield tapped unless you sacrifice a nonland permanent.
T: Add B or G.
BG, T, Exile a creature card from your graveyard: You draw a card and you lose 1 life.

IIW: Faeries
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 4 years ago

Last-Ditch Contract 1BB
Sorcery (R)
Search your library for up to two cards with different names and reveal them. Target opponent chooses one of those cards. Exile the chosen card and put the rest into your hand. Then shuffle your library. You lose 2 life.
Fateful hour - At the beginning of the next end step, if you have 5 or less life, put the exiled card into your hand.

IIW: Fun flashback costs
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 4 years ago

this is the kind of speedy challenges we are looking for
MEG

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Shady Deal 2B
Sorcery (Common)
Clash with an opponent. (Each clashing player reveals the top card of their library, then puts that card on the top or bottom. A player wins if their card had a higher converted mana cost.)
Scry 2 if you won the clash, then you draw two cards and lose 2 life. If you lost the clash, you lose an additional 1 life.
"Business isn't about buying or selling, it's about convincing the other they've got the better deal."
S'vlakv, Alley Merchant

IIW: Fix Clash

Mergatroid_Jones

Biohazard Bossman BG
Creature- Elf Rogue (R)
Menace
T, Exile 3 cards from your graveyard: Choose a card in your graveyard. You may play that card this turn. If you don't, put the top three cards of your library into your graveyard.
'Happytime legal dumping and recycling center. Azorius may not enter without permit.'
2/2

IIW: The upcoming Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 4 years ago

Barter for your soul 2BW
Enchantment rare
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player may sacrifice a creature. If they do, put a soul counter on Barter for your Soul for each creature sacrificed this way.
At the beginning of each end step, you gain X life and put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control, where X is the number of blood counters on this card. If no opponent sacrificed a creature this turn, draw a card and target opponent loses X life where X is the number of blood counters on this card..
"The soul is always more valuable than the other guilds believe." - Teysa, orzhov scion.

IIW: uncommon walkers from war of the spark, upshifted to rare.
Last edited by chetoos 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 4 years ago

Forgotten Sewers
Land (R)
Pay 1 life, T: Add {u/b}.
2u, : Target creature with power 2 or less gains hexproof and can't be blocked this turn.
"Hardest thing to do is first step in" - Uhr, smuggler

IIW: Cards inspired by upcoming Theros, Beyond Death

Stapler
is a liar

Smuggling Ring 2B
Enchantment (R)
If an effect would cause you to search your library for one or more cards, to reveal those cards, and to put those cards into your hand, search your library for a card and put that card into your hand instead.
"Nothing to see here, officer; just selling my lovely trinkets."

"Image"

Post by avatarz » 4 years ago

Rag Seller B
Creature — Human (R)
B, T: Target opponent reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player exiles that card, then they create a X/X black Horror creature token where X is the converted mana cost of the discarded card.
1/2

IIW: Cards designed by Ken Nagle

TheRavenManIsSquee
the Grinch of club flamingo

Post by TheRavenManIsSquee » 4 years ago

Dimir Contractor. 1BU
Creature- Human Assassin (R)
Deathtouch
Whenever Dimir Contractor deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card and loses 2 life.
1BU : Dimir contractor can't be blocked this turn.
1/3
IIW: Create a card from your own IIW from the last round. If you didn't participate in the last round, make me an Eldrazi.
My MTGA username is TheOneTrueMouse. My username for this site is nothing if not factual.

ForestsCarl

Post by ForestsCarl » 4 years ago

Incubus of Desires 1BR
Creature - Demon (R)
Flying
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player exiles a card face up from the top of their library, they may play that card until end of turn. If they do, they lose 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Whenever a player plays or casts a card from exile, draw a card and put a +1/+1 counter on Incubus of Desires. Then if Incubus of Desires has 10 or more power, create an indestructible token copy of Incubus of Desires.
4/4

iiw
Trample!

NinjaCaterpie

Cythare / Aetherflue Bog: Cool. The active seems quite strong when repeatable. I don't think it should also have the potential usability of being an etb untapped dual.
mellifluoresce / Last-Ditch Contract: I like this a lot. It's a cool twist on Fateful hour as like Hellbent but for life.
Subject16 / Shady Deal: The wording is a bit clunky so I'm not sure what this does. Is it always scry 2, then draw if you win and lose 3 if you don't? That's a pretty rough clash clause and it's very swingy as a result. If it always draws, then the clash is just kinda pointless
Mergatroid_Jones / Biohazard Bossman: How does this guy actually work? Does the "if you don't" go off during the cleanup step? It's pretty cool but seems like quite a powerful repeatable recursion tool.
chetoos / Barter for your soul: There are a lot of words on this card. It also has a whole bunch of abilities (lifegain, counters, lifeloss, card draw) tacked together that don't really seem to tie into the "barter for your soul".
Sagharri / Forgotten Sewers: Unique, but ain't this effectively just "2, pay 1 life: Target creature with power 2 or less gains hexproof and can't be blocked this turn"? That seems real good for being repeatable on a land. Plus it's a painland baseline.
Stapler / Smuggling Ring: I like what you're going for but the wording is unfortunate and makes it unintuitive.
avatarz / Rag Seller: This seems really good - a vanilla token is not much compared to a useful spell. Should probably be sorcery speed too.
TheRavenManIsSquee / Dimir Contractor: Ooh, that's rough. Hard to judge since it's quite costly to make unblockable, but the deathtouch makes it a pretty nasty 1-for-1 every time.
ForestsCarl / Incubus of Desires: Neat. Something of a double-sided effect but it gives you the real value (cards in hand). I think the 10 power rider is a bit unnecessary and even out of place.

HMs: Stapler, Cythare
Winner: mellifluoresce

Next challenge: Fun flashback costs

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Psychic Ignition 2R
Sorcery (U)
Psychic Ignition deals X damage to target creature or planeswalker and to you, where X is the number of cards in your hand.
Flashback—Draw two cards.

IIW: Faeries
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 4 years ago

A good fight 1G
sorcery
Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.
flashback: put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you don't control
The foolish man thought he could still win when his opponent reached their full strength.
IIW: Uncommon walkers from war of the spark upshifted to rare.

Mergatroid_Jones

The secret lost card from Future Sight- which is why it's rare, since mythic didn't exist.

Art: A young and an old version of the same wizard battle together against a futuristic steampunk enemy wizard, who leans through one of several temporal portals in to shoot a firebolt as a dinosaur peaks in from another portal.

Temporal Archrivalry UUUU
Sorcery (R)
When you cast Temporal Archrivalry from your hand or graveyard, exile it with a time counter on it. It gains suspend. (At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost.)
Take an extra turn after this one.
Flashback- Target opponent takes an extra turn after this one. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

EDIT: Yeah, whoops, this doesn't work. Let's try it again.

IIW: Future Sight type cards
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Stapler
is a liar

Primp the Apparel 1WW
Sorcery (R)
Return any number of Aura cards from your graveyard to the battlefield and attach them to target creature. (Aura cards that can't enchant that creature remain in your graveyard.)
Flashback — Return two Aura cards from your graveyard to your hand (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

eh it's too close to retether

Arrogant Undoing 1BBB
Sorcery (R)
Each player who controls the creature with the greatest power or tied for the greatest power sacrifices two creatures.
Flashback — B, Create a 6/6 black Demon creature token with flying (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Last edited by Stapler 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
"Image"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”