Which do you like more?

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Oof. I'm going to have to go with Blood Moon because I can't see myself using Winter Orb. Even then I've never used Blood Moon either, though I own one.

vs
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

Depends on deck. My dragons to not like either. My Mono red loves blood moon.
Oppressive cars leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Defense grid is probably better to play against as it still lets you cast spells, just taxed.
Conqueror's flail needs a creature to play it on. I prefer to run

Dragonlord Dromoka or Grand Abolisher

Skello496
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

Grand abolisher.

EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr
Hakbal, Merfolk Massacre UG
Ten and Clara, Suspended uwr

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Counterspell for being a simple no. That being said, there's places where costing less for colour and overall cost are preferable, so it's a toss up.

vs
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Chord. The instant speed shenanigans make up for the increased cost, and you can hold up a couple extra bodies for convoking if you foresee the need to be reactive with it.

vs

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 4 years ago

In a dedicated combo deck trying to combo out by turn 3 or so, I'd go for Preordain; otherwise Impulse. The deeper dig and the instant speed make Impulse better as a reactive tool, which is worth the extra mana to me.

vs.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Multiplayer, Curse. 1v1, Shift. I don't build 1v1 decks though because I prefer multiplayer, so I'd personally prefer Curse. Being able to exile multiple creatures, especially pesky creatures and against recursion, turning them into 2/2s can be swingy. And hey, you can even upgrade some smaller creatures.

vs.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

What?! Ummm...Infantry, I guess. More splashable cost and relevant creature type.

VS.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

toctheyounger

Pigs of death. A far more reliable trigger and grants trample, plus has a bigger body and haste itself. Sure it's expensive, but you're expecting this to close out the game most likely.

vs

Gashnaw

Bidding, for one mana more you get to choose the creature type of your choice. Against non tribal decks it is var better as many decks run black or red (At least in my meta) i could hurt them with bidding. (There are also not many tribal decks in my meta)

or

lyonhaert

Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 4 years ago

I prefer Swords, as the life is often less valuable to my opponent than the extra land/deck thinning, and a lot of the time, the target isn't some Colossus, it's just a problematic ability that I need to get rid of.

vs

Gashnaw

Another one that depends on deck.

Blightseel offer infect and has trample, but Ulamog has the milling effect. Probably ulamog since he is my favorite eldrazi.

On teh topic of eldrazi

or

toctheyounger

Butcher for straight power; annihilator, unconditional draw and the shuffle effect are nuts, although Distortion is still nice.

Here's one I'm tossing up for a current build:

vs

Gashnaw

True love's kiss. Getting to draw a card and remove a problem at instant speed. Its like a greater Return on any turn other than your own. (And that is only if you need to remove two things)

or

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Deadeye is so good, but I just hate the card, it's too easy to abuse.
I'm in favor of the Displacer for flexibility and because of bias against Deadeye.

vs

Skello496

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

I would go with Aftershock.

EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr
Hakbal, Merfolk Massacre UG
Ten and Clara, Suspended uwr

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 4 years ago

Skello496 wrote:
4 years ago
Jokulhaups vs Obliterate
Since Jokulhaups is a must counter, I like Obliterate more. The extra 2 mana isn't too much. However, I have played both in the same deck before.

I'm glad Atraxa walkers isn't red because these two are a brutal pairing in a super friends deck. Why again is Atraxa the default PW-general? You don't get to play Dack Fayden or any of the Nicol Boli. Either way, I dislike the super friends archetype the most in EDH and if players continue to not play the best version of it, that's fine.

In honor of the newly spoiled Happily Ever After

vs
vs

lyonhaert

umtiger wrote:
4 years ago
I'm glad Atraxa walkers isn't red because these two are a brutal pairing in a super friends deck. Why again is Atraxa the default PW-general? You don't get to play Dack Fayden or any of the Nicol Boli. Either way, I dislike the super friends archetype the most in EDH and if players continue to not play the best version of it, that's fine.
I really don't know. She's a good blocker and people like the free end-of-turn proliferate, even though that's not much. The superfriends I'm running is 5-color, though I need to shift it toward a token focus. I also removed Doubling Season because it just two-card combos too much. I'm trying to bring it to an acceptable power level.

Mortal Combat will be my choice, because I like the flavor more than the others (dead arena combatants). Might even be slightly harder than the other two.

vs
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

I would like Deathmantle more, but I hardly ever get to play with it, it's too much of an auto-remove, and seems to attract attention even after it's been removed.

Deathrender, on the other hand, I've literally never seen played and I'm not sure why.

Final verdict: Deathrender.

vs

Gashnaw

umtiger wrote:
4 years ago

Since Jokulhaups is a must counter, I like Obliterate more. The extra 2 mana isn't too much. However, I have played both in the same deck before.

I know I played Ramos and then converted over to sissy weatherlight captain. In short people did not like me able to fetch out something like narset when they played a big blue sun.

Ratchet bomb. Engineered explosive can only get up to 5 in a 5 color deck, and it is not the best gamble as the Feild need to have enough things to make it worth while. M dragons do not care about 5 as they arebgenerally 6+
Ratchet bomb can build up to be a problem.

or

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

EDIT: Dammit. Ninja'd. Both are cool, but I'd go with Sakashima since she can bounce herself.

VS.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Gashnaw

Ashiok, I like the added static ability.

On the topic of PWs

or

toctheyounger

Vess. She's more expensive, but more versatile and her ultimate is more likely to end the game. Even if you don't aim for it her tutor ability is invaluable.

vs

As an aside, Grixis superfriends is a lot of fun. I use Vial Smasher and Kraum, gives me options beyond proliferate and some resilience. It's jank, but it's fun and I haven't had any of the standard super friends complaints yet.

Lucifer, Sapere Aude

Post by Lucifer, Sapere Aude » 4 years ago

EDIT: Karn liberated, obviously, always. Goes straight in almost all my EDH decks, regardless of the strategy. Exiling any permanent on a stick is just too good, even at seven mana.

vs
Last edited by Lucifer, Sapere Aude 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”