[ELD] Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ZiggyD)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

"Image"

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

AND MY AXE

Love it. Bolt dealing five damage for one? Sure makes aggro/burn more viable in EDH. Ever so much fun with damage doublers. One hopes he has no place in Standard, so he will be cheap.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Taleran

Post by Taleran » 4 years ago

MANABARBS

Harsh Mentor

Zo-Zu

Grapeshot

Get those hate cards in this guy makes 1-2 damage effects BRUTAL

Melua
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Melua » 4 years ago

Should be an interesting commander for a go-wide aggro strategy. Red has plenty of ways to get 1/1s or spread burn effects

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Will be going into Purphoros
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Citadel
Of
PAIN
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

Just realized he is a virtual 4/4...

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

a dwarf with a war axe. Looks like they're trying to bring back dwarves to mtg.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

pierreb wrote:
4 years ago
Just realized he is a virtual 4/4...
Sort of, though he has issues with multiple creatures. He can kill a 3/3 and a 1/1, but he can't kill 2 2/2's. Damage assignment and replacement effects are weird.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 4 years ago

Cavalcade of Calamity decks just got reach for finishing against lifegain. Shock becomes Galvanic Blast, Chandra's Pyrohelix is a double Lightning Bolt. Judith. Mayhem Devil. And all your red creatures effectively get +2/+0.

I think this fits in the category of "4-drop that can win you the game".
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

pierreb

Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
Sort of, though he has issues with multiple creatures. He can kill a 3/3 and a 1/1, but he can't kill 2 2/2's. Damage assignment and replacement effects are weird.
Uh what? Are you sure? I would have thought he could kill two 3/3: assign 1 damage to each, each receives 1+2 damage. I understand he could not kill 4 1/1.

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 4 years ago

pierreb wrote:
4 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
Uh what? Are you sure? I would have thought he could kill two 3/3: assign 1 damage to each, each receives 1+2 damage. I understand he could not kill 4 1/1.
You need to assign lethal before you can assign damage to the second creature, and combat assignment ignore replacement effects.
In the example he kills 1/1 + 3/3 because you assign 1 to the 1/1 (lethal) and the extra 1 to the 3/3 then the replacement deals 3 and 3 killing both. But with two 2/2 you have to assign 2 to the first and stop then becoming 4 damage
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

CalebLost wrote:
4 years ago
pierreb wrote:
4 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
You need to assign lethal before you can assign damage to the second creature, and combat assignment ignore replacement effects.
In the example he kills 1/1 + 3/3 because you assign 1 to the 1/1 (lethal) and the extra 1 to the 3/3 then the replacement deals 3 and 3 killing both. But with two 2/2 you have to assign 2 to the first and stop then becoming 4 damage
For reference, the rule in question is 510.1c
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Impossible

Post by Impossible » 4 years ago

Sojourner Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Cavalcade of Calamity decks just got reach for finishing against lifegain. Shock becomes Galvanic Blast, Chandra's Pyrohelix is a double Lightning Bolt. Judith. Mayhem Devil. And all your red creatures effectively get +2/+0.

I think this fits in the category of "4-drop that can win you the game".
Cavalcade was my first thought as well. It's already a borderline Standard deck, and this gives it a lot more punch and a reason to play more lands and go a bit bigger than "36 1-drops + 4 Cavalcade". For example, Cavalcade into 3-mana Chandra into Gimli here is 6 damage before blocks on curve. That's no joke.

pierreb

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
For reference, the rule in question is 510.1c
/me shake fist at the modified combat assigment rules. #PineForOldDays

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 4 years ago

I am somewhat disappointed that Torbran was singled out from the other triple color Legends. Linden, Gadwick, Ayara, and Yorvo can all be cast for three colored mana, I imagine it would have been far too strong at 3 CMC, but WotC must have wanted a stronger effect than War Jaya.

The Standard implications make this a card that may end up needing to be answered the Turn it hits the board. I don't know if it has the potential for Modern though.

I'm laughing at the amplification this creates in Magical Christmas Land. Chandra's Outrage deals 10 damage for 4 mana and kills up to an X/6. Cindervines is much stronger. Flame Sweep lets your ground X/3s live. but kills your opponents' X/4s. Skewer the Critics adds grievous injury on top of already suffered injury for .

I have a feeling I'll be seeing this card a lot over the next two years.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”