Jeff
Pronoun: he / him

Post by plaganegra » 1 year ago

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
pzbw7z wrote:
1 year ago
@toctheyounger Chart says 98 cards.
Ugh. Of course it does. That's why you update as you go and not leave it months.

All good, I'll update overnight.
You might be missing a couple lands - 32 seems low. Do you want any feedback on your list?

The liliana, untouched by death combos are really intriguing to me. I was wondering why people were running universal automaton without using Haakon, stromgald scourge.

What would you say is included in a "Liliana Package?" and what are the loops you can do with her? I see a couple but I would love to see them all because of how powerful that synergy is.

edit - just saw you had a section in the primer I didn't see before - great write up on all of the synergies and combo loops! Well done.
Last edited by plaganegra 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
Also: Yawgmoth, Tinybones, Blim, Krenko, Kaalia, Chatterfang, Kodama-East, Kozilek, Morophon, U-Braids, Ashcoat, Preston, Sauron.
MTG since 2003

Tags:

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

plaganegra wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
pzbw7z wrote:
1 year ago
@toctheyounger Chart says 98 cards.
Ugh. Of course it does. That's why you update as you go and not leave it months.

All good, I'll update overnight.
You might be missing a couple lands - 32 seems low. Do you want any feedback on your list?

The liliana, untouched by death combos are really intriguing to me. I was wondering why people were running universal automaton without using Haakon, stromgald scourge.

What would you say is included in a "Liliana Package?" and what are the loops you can do with her? I see a couple but I would love to see them all because of how powerful that synergy is.

edit - just saw you had a section in the primer I didnt see before.
- Always open to feedback, fire away. What else are we here for if not critique? That said, I think my moxfield list at 33, and it's honestly not a problem almost ever. I can mulligan down to 5 with a degree of confidence that I'll be pretty well ok if not great most games.

- Yeah the Lili section is....pretty brief. To be fair it's kind of a work in progress considering its lines I haven't delved into heavily, but they tend to mostly include Altars. It's not a particularly compact way to win, with 4 pieces needed in play to go off, but even just as a value piece it gets things done, so there's that. And that said, the -3 means you're not having to hold stuff in your hand. You can get your looping creature, your 'crat, and potentially your sac outlet all from the yard if needed, so the bonus of it is that it can pivot around removal to some extent; the only piece you can't retrieve is Lili herself.

edit: Found one more from the moxfield list, added Fabled Passage. Because pseudo fetch. 1 more to track down for the 100, I'll have to check my actual cards tonight. It was Lili. Writing a primer isn't easy, for what it's worth lol
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

plaganegra
Jeff

Someone should make a list that is entirely focused on comboing out as quickly as possible and please call it "zombo combo" lol. I am sure that has been said before but I just love it lol.

It is truly amazing the number of ways that zombies can combo win...
  • Gravecrawler combos
  • SO MANY etb and death triggers everywhere in the deck
  • persist and undying shenanigans
  • Haakon and changelings
  • Liliana Loops
  • Repository skaab loops
  • Tombstone stairwell and an aristocrat after one turn cycle usually (even though it isn't technically a "combo" in the traditional sense)
It almost feels that since most things can just be gotten out of the GY to combo off we should see more entomb, more dread return, and probably more altar of dementia (where you can mill yourself in these loops to dump your entire deck into your GY and it is a cheap sac outlet in general).

Also - poxwalkers makes some of these loops get started much easier since it comes back immediately on any GY cast trigger with liliana and friends or gravecrawler and a sac outlet when you don't just drain on the spot. This is a big time loop enabler in here that should definitely find a spot. In your deck it is the only "auto-reanimator" I would include actually. Haakon, Stromgald Scourge should probably be an auto include too - it works with all of these loops as a backup option.

Nested Shambler should also go infinite mana in liliana/altar loop

How many ways can you abuse Tidehollow sculler with all of these loops? I am assuming with the right combination of cards you can probably exile everyone's hands lol.

Maybe, Tidehollow sculler, Poxwalkers, Phyrexian Altar, Liliana, untouched by death LOL that's just EVIL if it works the way I think it does.

@toctheyounger I do have some questions/considerations about your list:

There seems to be a lot of colorless lands, lands that don't tap for mana right away, and lands that don't tap for colored mana if it's not a zombie - that looks kind of risky to me: I would probably cut 2-4 of these lands for more reliable options. With how low the curve is I would actually cut weathered wayfarer and cabal coffers and just add normal multicolor lands instead like city of brass and mana confluence - you don't really need this combo here at all and the risk and pieces needed to make it work bog down the deck now. That will make your deck much more reliable I think, especially on the early turns if you are only running 33 lands now.

Instead of mana fixing cards and deck manipulation - just add more mana sources it is better most of the time imo. Ponder, Sensei's divining Top, and Expedition Map specifically suck up valuable mana in the early turns that should probably just be directed at pooping out as many zombies as possible before Varina hits the table for a max impact loot effect. All three are kind of bandaids for a greedy manabase.

Why Epiphany at the Drownyard and Fact or Fiction? These seem out of place to me in this faster more proactive deck where you probably want to tap out and cast as many zombies as possible every turn. In your previous more midrange decks I think they fit better.

Ad Nauseam is an interesting idea here - kind of a cheaper peer into the abyss in this deck. Drawing a lot of cards seems good any day, but does this fit into the puzzle any other ways? I am looking at adding it to my list too and am curious to hear more about what you do with all those cards. Is this the reason for zombie infestation? How often are you able to discard a bunch of cards? Is it because a lot of the looping draws the deck? I assume then it also kills the opponents with drain effects or gray merchant ETBs so not sure the reason. I love the card and any excuse to play it well my ears perk up lol.

I think more people should consider Nightscape Familiar in their lists. This guy does one thing and does it very well. Something as simple as T1 zombie, T2 familiar, T3 Varina is very powerful in this deck. I would remove tainted adversary for it.
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
edit: Found one more from the moxfield list, added Fabled Passage. Because pseudo fetch. 1 more to track down for the 100, I'll have to check my actual cards tonight. It was Lili. Writing a primer isn't easy, for what it's worth lol
hey you do a fantastic job sir. I really appreciate you keeping this thread going and passionately facilitating all the discussion for us zombie edh fans. You deserve all the credit in the world for it :)
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
Also: Yawgmoth, Tinybones, Blim, Krenko, Kaalia, Chatterfang, Kodama-East, Kozilek, Morophon, U-Braids, Ashcoat, Preston, Sauron.
MTG since 2003

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 1 year ago

Some quick thoughts triggered by @toctheyounger:

Springleaf Drum may be better than Arcane Signet here, but a two-MV rock that makes all three colors is good enough for me. I haven't gotten around to putting the Drum in the list I play, but I think both belong. The two-color signets and talismans are another matter; I don't currently play them, and they didn't always feel good when I did, but I'm on the fence about them. I run a bunch of them in Prosper, but that's only two colors so they are just about as good as Arcane Signet there. The odd one is Fellwar Stone, which is probably worth a thought here as well.

Dark Ritual and Culling the Weak are super for turbo-style decks. Cabal Ritual and Rain of Filth are as well. Those first two are probably good enough to run in a mid-range deck, especially one that runs Ad Nauseam or any other very high-value, high-MV spell. The other two are perhaps suited only for going really hard. I mean, after Rain of Filth, you had better win!

My deck is absolutely not turbo. And I mostly like it like that. I have Prosper for turbo. Grixis is probably the best all around color combination for turbo, even better than Rakdos. Esper can go that route, but the only thing Esper seems to be able to turbo is Thassa's Oracle, We could do that, but it wouldn't really be a Zombie deck if the primary win-con didn't involve Zombies, would it? There just doesn't seem to be a good, turbo-able, tribal Zombie combo.

All of that said, the frustrating thing I sometimes find is that I have the cards to close out the game, but not the mana. And I'm not talking about early, I'm talking about well into games. So ramp and rituals are badly lacking in my list.

I don't win nearly as often and certainly not nearly as fast with Varina as I do with Prosper, and that's mostly okay too. But when I do win with Varina, it's usually pretty epic. The last win was a remarkable confluence of Buried Alive, the Haakon package and Tombstone Stairwell followed up by Sevinne's Reclamation and ended (unnecessarily) with Phyrexian Altar. I've had a number of big finishes involving Living Death. These moments are precious, I'd just like them to happen a little more often. :) :grin: :P :rofl:

toctheyounger

plaganegra wrote:
1 year ago
@toctheyounger I do have some questions/considerations about your list:

There seems to be a lot of colorless lands, lands that don't tap for mana right away, and lands that don't tap for colored mana if it's not a zombie - that looks kind of risky to me: I would probably cut 2-4 of these lands for more reliable options. With how low the curve is I would actually cut weathered wayfarer and cabal coffers and just add normal multicolor lands instead like city of brass and mana confluence - you don't really need this combo here at all and the risk and pieces needed to make it work bog down the deck now. That will make your deck much more reliable I think, especially on the early turns if you are only running 33 lands now.

Instead of mana fixing cards and deck manipulation - just add more mana sources it is better most of the time imo. Ponder, Sensei's divining Top, and Expedition Map specifically suck up valuable mana in the early turns that should probably just be directed at pooping out as many zombies as possible before Varina hits the table for a max impact loot effect. All three are kind of bandaids for a greedy manabase.

Why Epiphany at the Drownyard and Fact or Fiction? These seem out of place to me in this faster more proactive deck where you probably want to tap out and cast as many zombies as possible every turn. In your previous more midrange decks I think they fit better.

Ad Nauseam is an interesting idea here - kind of a cheaper peer into the abyss in this deck. Drawing a lot of cards seems good any day, but does this fit into the puzzle any other ways? I am looking at adding it to my list too and am curious to hear more about what you do with all those cards. Is this the reason for zombie infestation? How often are you able to discard a bunch of cards? Is it because a lot of the looping draws the deck? I assume then it also kills the opponents with drain effects or gray merchant ETBs so not sure the reason. I love the card and any excuse to play it well my ears perk up lol.

I think more people should consider Nightscape Familiar in their lists. This guy does one thing and does it very well. Something as simple as T1 zombie, T2 familiar, T3 Varina is very powerful in this deck. I would remove tainted adversary for it.
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
hey you do a fantastic job sir. I really appreciate you keeping this thread going and passionately facilitating all the discussion for us zombie edh fans. You deserve all the credit in the world for it :)
Nah, you guys are the MVP's for sure. I wouldn't bother if no one was listening. Well, that's not entirely fair I guess, my Bruna list is much more quiet, but now that it's on a control (*cough*stax*cough*) plan it's much more of a blast to play, so I'm really looking forward to tidying that list up.

The lands for sure are my weak point. Path of Ancestry shouldn't be in the list. The filters, I don't often have problems with them if at all. Nykthos is almost always a b Cradle, so it's not really an issue, and Field of the Dead I think is just one I'm much less likely to keep an opening hand with. Sure it's risky, but it's free zombies from fetches, and the deck really wants fetches, so it's a play to your out thing I guess.

All that said with pain lands having been reprinted and battle lands recent reprinted too it might just be worth getting Morphic Pool, Underground River et al to make the colors work as well as they can.

The manipulating topdeck is fine. I think of them the weakest is top in terms of pure card advantage- it doesn't put cards into your actual hand. That said its amazing with fetches and repeatable so its a toss up. I'd swap it all out for superior draw, but short of hard tutors that doesn't exist. I do have a spare Vampiric Tutor, but I don't know that I want it here for sure yet.

Epiphany and Fact are next on the block for me. I never want to cast them anymore purely because they feel like a loss of momentum. That said, the deck needs a way to fill the hand again. All going well you're virtually emptying your hand by turn 4, and when thats the case your commabder is just filling the yard, you're stuck on a reanimation plan with no chance to pivot or hold up answers. So we need something, I just don't know what that looks like at the minute.

Ad Naus is about as good as card draw gets in this format for a low to the ground list. Its instant speed, so you can prep yourself to win on the next turn, use it to get interaction at a real pinch or just cram your yard with bodies on the discard. I think aside from the cost its almost perfect. Ut can help with Infestation, but mostly its just to cram the yard, get a line to come together and sculpt a really nice hand. Alongside all of that our commander helps abuse it as do a couple of our key pieces such as Gary and Wayward Servant. Its been really, really good for me. Theres a reason the top of the cedh format sort of revolves around it these days, even the higher costed decks. I think we're a lot less flush on mana positive pieces to go off directly after it resolves, but with Nykthos and Coffers it's certainly not out of the question either.
pzbw7z wrote:
1 year ago
Some quick thoughts triggered by @toctheyounger:

Springleaf Drum may be better than Arcane Signet here, but a two-MV rock that makes all three colors is good enough for me. I haven't gotten around to putting the Drum in the list I play, but I think both belong. The two-color signets and talismans are another matter; I don't currently play them, and they didn't always feel good when I did, but I'm on the fence about them. I run a bunch of them in Prosper, but that's only two colors so they are just about as good as Arcane Signet there. The odd one is Fellwar Stone, which is probably worth a thought here as well.

Dark Ritual and Culling the Weak are super for turbo-style decks. Cabal Ritual and Rain of Filth are as well. Those first two are probably good enough to run in a mid-range deck, especially one that runs Ad Nauseam or any other very high-value, high-MV spell. The other two are perhaps suited only for going really hard. I mean, after Rain of Filth, you had better win!

My deck is absolutely not turbo. And I mostly like it like that. I have Prosper for turbo. Grixis is probably the best all around color combination for turbo, even better than Rakdos. Esper can go that route, but the only thing Esper seems to be able to turbo is Thassa's Oracle, We could do that, but it wouldn't really be a Zombie deck if the primary win-con didn't involve Zombies, would it? There just doesn't seem to be a good, turbo-able, tribal Zombie combo.

All of that said, the frustrating thing I sometimes find is that I have the cards to close out the game, but not the mana. And I'm not talking about early, I'm talking about well into games. So ramp and rituals are badly lacking in my list.

I don't win nearly as often and certainly not nearly as fast with Varina as I do with Prosper, and that's mostly okay too. But when I do win with Varina, it's usually pretty epic. The last win was a remarkable confluence of Buried Alive, the Haakon package and Tombstone Stairwell followed up by Sevinne's Reclamation and ended (unnecessarily) with Phyrexian Altar. I've had a number of big finishes involving Living Death. These moments are precious, I'd just like them to happen a little more often. :) :grin: :P :rofl:
Yeah I don't think we really want to be the deck that goes for the win first to be honest. We want to play somewhere between a proactive and a midrange where we lower life totals, interact with what we need to and bide our time. With that in mind most of our on the spot wins require a lot of pieces in hand or play or yard so I've had the same experiences. You got your stuff and financing everything into the right place just takes that little bit too much mana.

I don't know for sure that rituals are the right choice for the build to be honest, it feels a bit tacked on and superfluous outside going off. But I'm also so far off affording mana positive rocks like Crypt and Chrome and Amber its a total pipe dream, so, y'know, you do what you can afford I guess. Or just make it work without.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

plaganegra wrote:
1 year ago

My own reasoning for running stuff like Ponder is that there is more than one phase in the game. If you go too completely all in on Diregraf Ghoul you wind up drawing Diregraf Ghoul at the end of the game, when Ponder is insanely good. Furthermore, even int he early game, a sequence of Ponder, 2 drop, 3 drop, Varina, is often nearly as strong as a 1 drop, since it lets you keep a hand with 2-3 lands that might otherwise be sketchy and also sometimes helps you find your 2/3 drop.

You can think of Ponder as a sort of hedge between playing another cheap zombie and a land. It's kind of like having both...with the added ability to convert it into a Living Death at the end of the game sometimes.

Epiphany at the Drownyard and Fact or Fiction I am less sure of, but I do think that this deck wants a way to recover being low on cards after a board wipe. I think it's possible to respond to the question this scenario asks in other ways, though, for example:
1) Try not to overcommit to the point you're low on cards and lose to a board wipe.
2) Just play more mass reanimation and countermagic and accept that sometimes you lose to graveyard hate.
3) Play more anti board wipe tech like Liliana's Standard Bearer and Thrilling Encore

What I find is that I want to tap out a lot of the time, and it's also often right to go deep in the tank and let people board wipe you. But a problem with that is people are getting wise and playing more non-destructive board wipes (Farewell).

So I think maybe option 2 is the right one? Me, I play Epiphany at the Drownyard as kind of a 3 cmc version of Ponder. An Epiphany for x=2 can help you draw your 4th land pretty reliably, and it scales pretty well.

One of my favorite sequences with Epiphany at the Drownyard is to just run out Ashnod's Altar when I have a big but not super threatening board. People live in fear of Ashnod's Altar and will highly target it and also prioritize board wiping when it's out. So having the ability to Epiphany for say, 15, is pretty sick.

(Re: Epiphany: remember you can split the piles 15/0 and force them to choose between loading your graveyard up with creatures for a mass reanimation spell and giving you 15 cards :P It's a fun mindgame. The splits in this deck are unreal because of stuff like Living Death and Liliana's Standard Bearer )

That said, I could definitely see cutting it. I just think--as probably the strongest advocate of a low curve gameplan--we need to remain conscious that the game doesn't end on turn 4 or 5 that often and we need to have cards that scale.

pzbw7z

plaganegra wrote:
1 year ago
Someone should make a list that is entirely focused on comboing out as quickly as possible and please call it "zombo combo" lol. I am sure that has been said before but I just love it lol.
I gave it a shot; mind you I haven't even goldfished it. It's a rough draft.
Tryhard Varina
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander

Planeswalkers

Enchantments

Approximate Total Cost:

This is a mid-budget deck, so a few of the usual suspects I omitted due to the unlikelihood I could obtain a copy. Intuition is one such, the ABUR dual lands are others. The Diamonds are also missing. I think a couple of the free counters are missing as well.

I basically took what was pertinent from my Propser deck and combined it with stuff I winnowed from some Esper cEDH decks with an eye on budget.

plaganegra
Jeff

@pokken and @toctheyounger - regarding Toc's updated list:
(Sorry for the lengthy replies)

Ponder is a great card and it does all the things you are sharing quite well - it is the hedge you say.

But, looking at the manabase in Toc's list I see mana problems that Ponder is less likely to fix or hedge as well as it does in your list. Toc's manabase is greedy for my taste mostly because of the collections of lands I listed above - any opener with two of those lands is probably a mulligan or an unnecessary uphill battle of digging for the color you need (which is harder to find if you don't run as many pain lands, battle lands, or 5c lands, and do use a lot of basics). Although it might be anecdotally fine, I don't think the math works out well here. But, the beauty of deckbuilding is you can say "to hell with the math!" if you want to gamble. Each deckbuilder has to decide their own risk tolerance they are willing to take on with how the list is constructed. Pokkens list is very very different in how it facilitates consistent mana production enabling this low to the ground strategy. Ponder is kind of a distraction from the point I am trying to make. Personally, I focused on my mana production and land selections mostly because of Pokken's advice and examples from a while ago in this thread and it has made playing my deck so much more enjoyable. Pokken, I am surprised you skipped right over that actually lol. I think at the time, you recommended I run a maximum of three "colorless" lands because I had like 5+ or something in my list. Your advice really helped improve my enjoyment of playing EDH in general, but especially Varina, so thank you! Hoping to point to that with Toc here in case it was an oversight.

The first 4-5 turns are more than likely to predict the outcome of that game so it should be the focus in how you set up your odds for success - especially if you are trying to curve out with zombies as often as possible (realizing that is not the only way to build Varina).

I think that epiphany at the drownyard and fact or fiction are okay and I see how they can mitigate your problem, but I really LOVE the idea of Ad Nausaum. That new tech in mind, I just feel like maybe there is something better to do in your shell than these cards but I could definitely be wrong. I noticed master of death missing from Toc's list which is very often a free draw for me every single turn after Varina hits the table. I am not sure what else to recommend right now but I am really thinking on it for you!

Toc, again a pitch for poxwalkers and haakon, stromgald scourge to mix with all that combo goodness in your deck since you didn't comment on them specifically. Haakon is stronger than liliana in the loops that apply (changelings). Liliana combos with more pieces and creates more viable loops, but Haakon comes back, can be pitched now and cast later, costs less, and has additional utility over time with the other knights if you aren't in a position to combo win. Poxwalkers adds a free body to every cast trigger in all of these loops with either Liliana or Haakon or Gravecrawler. I can understand skipping both cards if you just want to dabble in the combo lines and not focus on them as much, though. Poxwalkers was passed over quickly when it was spoiled, but I think it is a fantastic inclusion for Varina decks that include haakon and/or liliana and doesn't need any other support if these loops are a feature of the deck. Just for consideration and discussion.

I cannot speak from experience how each unique list should refill hands in the mid-late game because I am pretty focused on my unique version which has different challenges. But I will take any opportunity I can to point out that the auto-recursion creatures help to solve this problem by scaling Varina's draw engine quickly while providing resilience and card advantage in a multidimensional shell. Elaborated below in spoiler:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
That doesn't mean you should include them by any means because it requires a commitment in deckbuilding that continues to expand over time (just adding the lot of them to any list won't work). In my experience playing lists I have brewed up that heavily feature this strategy as a central element, I usually don't run out of cards in the mid-late game once the loot engine gets going. So I focus a lot on how to consistently get that engine going and I then freely drop anything I don't need right away to in the GY for later use while selecting key cards to hold in hand (like a counterspell, altar, or mass reanimate). I changed my list around a lot recently with the help here and I hope what I have removed does take too much away from this aspect. I took out a couple things that really helped me keep my hand and board well-supplied in necroduality (doubling a lot of effects that end up netting me card advantage) and Kindred Discovery (all the drawing). I might have to add one or both back in if I find myself running out of gas because they have generally over-performed for me. It's all in flux and these are just things I am pointing out for discussion. I know necroduality is not in favor generally for the group here, but it has served me very well in the unique shell I have created, so I am not pushing for that as a general statement.

The release of Bladewhip Transmogrant probably bolsters this shell more than any other Varina-style because of how it triggers prized amalgam and how quickly this shell fills the GY. Wizards is constantly creating new zombies over time that can come back by jumping through some kind of small hoop which results in this shell getting deeper and stronger over time. Most of them work together pretty well lately anyway (looking at you dread wanderer and bloodsoaked champion).

Silversmote Ghoul is the best auto-reanimator for a miderange Varina build, does not require the full shell I utilize to be effective, and even has a decent draw effect. I will probably stop beating this drum so much when it gets added to the primer as a card selection option (or the whole list of these guys actually) /wink lol. I am putting in a ton of time trying to refine this strategy and share it here as a viable option for other Varina deckbuilders and this is really the only outlet. I firmly believe there are many ways to love your Varina deck and just want to share these ideas with others.
I think the best answer to mass exile effects is a combination sac outlets and counterspells (which we all seem to agree on), and that is why I really love plumb the forbidden in your lists. I might add it to mine actually because of how versatile that card is in many situations you all have been sharing from your experiences. For me even with the auto-reanimators and a lot of token production it is probably even stronger of an addition. Pact of negation is the catchall many probably should run if you like tapping out every turn in these low to the ground versions of Varina. I see you run it Pokken, but Toc doesn't. I have been pushing for this card for a long time because it stops all of "worst case scenario" kind of plays like a mass exile, grave hate, and also the counterspell backup needed on your game winning turn. It is also really good at stopping your opponent's combo too (when you are tapped out and they feel safe) which shouldn't be overlooked. Worth the tax when it stops the game from ending or a critical play that prevents your deck from functioning as intended.

Curious thoughts on Altar of Dementia from both of you? Cheap sac outlet that facilitates a lot of these lines being discussed, Altar #3 doesn't add mana but wins in a different way - you can mill out all of your opponents with the right loop (there are several I think), dump your entire deck into your GY if you want to, save your board from an exile effect, and all the other wonderful things a repeatable sac outlet offers. Poxwalkers enables all of that.
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
MTG since 2003

pokken

plaganegra wrote:
1 year ago
Personally, I focused on my mana production and land selections mostly because of Pokken's advice and examples from a while ago in this thread and it has made playing my deck so much more enjoyable. Pokken, I am surprised you skipped right over that actually lol. I think at the time, you recommended I run a maximum of three "colorless" lands because I had like 5+ or something in my list. Your advice really helped improve my enjoyment of playing EDH in general, but especially Varina, so thank you! Hoping to point to that with Toc here in case it was an oversight.
This is a good point, I didn't look at all to see if toc's mana could support ponder. :)
plaganegra wrote:
1 year ago
Curious thoughts on Altar of Dementia from both of you? Cheap sac outlet that facilitates a lot of these lines being discussed, Altar #3 doesn't add mana but wins in a different way - you can mill out all of your opponents with the right loop (there are several I think), dump your entire deck into your GY if you want to, save your board from an exile effect, and all the other wonderful things a repeatable sac outlet offers. Poxwalkers enables all of that.
I am pretty sure we should be running Altar of Dementia. I've found filling my yard to be so good. If someone board wipes me and I respond by filling my yard with an extra 20 cards...yeesh. I think it's good enough just as a value engine most likely.

Hell, you can turn a mass reanimation spell into a combo just by milling yourself with all your dudes and mass reanimating.

When I get around to some tweaks to my list, definitely going to try it. Hell, think about how often you could mill yourself into Sevinne's Reclamation + Phyrexian Altar or similar as well.

I don't think I am ready to go in on Poxwalkers because of how often you will wind up having to hardcast that, or Prized Amalgam or similar as a crappy 3 drop, but I'm definitely going to give it some thought. The synergy with the Haakon package is pretty bananas.

The really nice conceptual part about those guys though is anything you discard and it's "value" is great. What would you consider the full amalgam package?

Do you think we should be considering something like Stitchwing Skaab as a way to further enable this? I had that dude in my list at one point and it was really not bad. Brought a flying blocker you can recur too.
Last edited by pokken 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

plaganegra
Jeff

plaganegra wrote:
1 year ago
I think that epiphany at the drownyard and fact or fiction are okay and I see how they can mitigate your problem, but I really LOVE the idea of Ad Nausaum. That new tech in mind, I just feel like maybe there is something better to do in your shell than these cards but I could definitely be wrong. I noticed master of death missing from Toc's list which is very often a free draw for me every single turn after Varina hits the table. I am not sure what else to recommend right now but I am really thinking on it for you!
Haha check out this new card: Hostile Negotiation
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
MTG since 2003

plaganegra
Jeff

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
I don't think I am ready to go in on Poxwalkers because of how often you will wind up having to hardcast that, or Prized Amalgam or similar as a crappy 3 drop, but I'm definitely going to give it some thought. The synergy with the Haakon package is pretty bananas.

The really nice conceptual part about those guys though is anything you discard and it's "value" is great. What would you consider the full amalgam package?

Do you think we should be considering something like Stitchwing Skaab as a way to further enable this? I had that dude in my list at one point and it was really not bad. Brought a flying blocker you can recur too.
Thanks I really appreciate your time and thoughts on this stuff!

I have to write up the full suite of ways I enable an auto-reanimation package because it just keeps growing and getting more consistent. When I fist started it was just amalgam and ghoul and it just grew and grew.

GY Tutors really help facilitate, low curve zombies are also important to increase the odds of filling your yard and getting free GY value as you play the game, evasion helps keep zombies on the board so they can keep swinging, and zombies that create a bunch of tokens do the same thing. Sac outlets allow you to abuse and constantly hit ETBs with the reanimators. If someone leaves you alone to actually roll this snowball downhill it can become a massive wave of zombies quickly without any combos or mass reanimate spells. The combos and re-animation plays just put it over the top with how inevitable and resilient the deck can be and allows you to play whatever lines are most pronounced in each hand since it all works towards one goal of enabling Varina's engine (which is how the idea started for me - free zombies make Varina go burrr and then I sort of ran with it for a long time now lol).

Off the top of my head all of this stuff works together and I am not sure how to parse it all out into what would be a minimal package or sub-packages (you can probably see several) I need to get back to work and spent way too much time pouring over my mtg thoughts today lol so here is a bunch of cards for now...

Bodies: Grease: Gasoline:
  • All of the aristocrats are payoffs and mass reanimation spells are payoffs/enablers also, but everyone uses those.
  • Liliana, untouched by death fits too, just not sure if I want to add it to my deck it might get too powerful for my group because of how easily it will combo out and lily is really just there as a solo combo piece.
  • All of the zombies that draw cards just go nuts in this shell.
  • Repository Skaab needs a category all to itself
  • lifetime pass holder also fits perfectly in this shell but is more ancillary.
I actually have not thought about Stitchwing Skaab in a LONG time and forgot it existed until you just brought it up. It probably could have a spot, but not sure because the discard is both a benefit and also a downside depending on the situation. A real double edged sword here that is hard for me to assess right now - truly an "all-in" GY reanimator dude.

The key thing is that the rest of these cards you don't have to cast. You have to really commit to building your deck in such a way that you can consistently either discard them to the loot engine or find them with a tutor (and you don't have to find these cards with those tutors specifically since there are so many options and situations and piles you can make for both buried alive and intuition depending on the situation). Poxwalkers is uniquely suited for decks that use either or both of haakon and liliana I think, but it is undenialbly the strongest of all of them if you can get it online because it is instant and untapped unlike the rest that have timing delays.

A t-2/3 buried alive
into gravecrawler, poxwalkers, prized amalgam
is so much value if left unchecked, and it is hard to deal with once Varina hits the board to follow.

I need to write up all the buried alive/intuition piles I can think of for different situations but that is probably going to be my go-to when I play next if I have the opportunity. You can also just grab combo pieces, Haakon, etc so many things. My favorite thing to do is go for value though because it is the most fun to play imo.

It is a lot to figure out and conceptualize and it has been a lot of refining to just get to this point. I am sure there is much that can be improved also
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
MTG since 2003

pokken

plaganegra wrote:
1 year ago
The key thing is that the rest of these cards you don't have to cast. You have to really commit to building your deck in such a way that you can consistently either discard them to the loot engine or find them with a tutor (and you don't have to find these cards with those tutors specifically since there are so many options and situations and piles you can make for both buried alive and intuition depending on the situation). Poxwalkers is uniquely suited for decks that use either or both of haakon and liliana I think, but it is undenialbly the strongest of all of them if you can get it online because it is instant and untapped unlike the rest that have timing delays.

A t-2/3 buried alive
into gravecrawler, poxwalkers, prized amalgam
is so much value if left unchecked, and it is hard to deal with once Varina hits the board to follow.
yeah, Buried Alive into Gravecrawler + whatever is really super good. Intuition is consistently the best single card in my deck, and Buried Alive is darn close(and stronger in some ways cos it guarantees everyone in the bin if you're on the 'trigger from bin' stuff.

My intuition pile goto is "altar + sevinne's + gravecrawler" but it can be also be haakon/corpse knight/knight if I already have an altar. I think those are the two big plays. Haakon, Stromgald Scourge Corpse Knight Universal Automaton is just so meaty, I'll do that just for value sometimes and then bank on finding the altar.

I think we are getting pretty close to an optimal efficiency 8/10 build of the deck here--lots of angles of attack, lots of cheating on mana, etc. :)

toctheyounger

plaganegra wrote:
1 year ago
Toc, again a pitch for poxwalkers and haakon, stromgald scourge to mix with all that combo goodness in your deck since you didn't comment on them specifically. Haakon is stronger than liliana in the loops that apply (changelings). Liliana combos with more pieces and creates more viable loops, but Haakon comes back, can be pitched now and cast later, costs less, and has additional utility over time with the other knights if you aren't in a position to combo win. Poxwalkers adds a free body to every cast trigger in all of these loops with either Liliana or Haakon or Gravecrawler. I can understand skipping both cards if you just want to dabble in the combo lines and not focus on them as much, though. Poxwalkers was passed over quickly when it was spoiled, but I think it is a fantastic inclusion for Varina decks that include haakon and/or liliana and doesn't need any other support if these loops are a feature of the deck. Just for consideration and discussion
I'm open to being convinced with these guys. I've got Haakon, Master, Amalgam and Silversmote to slot in if it's worth it. I see where its coming from in terms of free reanimation I just don't know that i have the meaningful space to commit to it in the list or if they add enough. That said free reanimators are amazing with Skullclamp so maybe I should find the room. I guess I just worry that they're gonna be painful to trigger often enough and it'll eat into my lines and make things harder. I'm open to convincing.

I could see us adding a third altar. I've had it in Bruna forever, and that relies on reanimating some nasty ass stuff to keep turbo decks playing fair. Here, I think its a different role in that you feasibly could just mill out the table if the stars align, and its probably more likely to fuel reanimation spells big time. I'm down to try it for sure. I don't think it truly goes infinite here like the other two, but I also find myself holding out for an altar to close out the game too, so one more will help with redundancy.

plaganegra
Jeff

@toctheyounger yeah definitely I get you completely. I am not sure adding all of the auto-reanimators is right for your list TBH, moreso just poxwalkers along with adding haakon, stromgald scourge. They both just enable everything you are already doing with the loops. You could also add a copy of entomb to round it out. I was more trying to convince you about the lands though, the recursion packages I listed are just so people understand whats going on.

Not sure how often it would happen, but Altar of Dementia can go infinite mill as a replacement for an aristocrat effect if you also have poxwalkers. It is just another win condition added to a loop this way which is more incidental than it is the reason I would add it to a deck. The synergies maybe run deeper I am not sure - it took me forever also to realize what was going on with liliana lol.

Phyrexian Altar + Gravecrawler + Poxwalkers + Altar of Dementia
Phyrexian Altar + Haakon + Changeling Outcast + Poxwalkers + Altar of Dementia
Ashnod's Altar + Haakon + Universal Automaton + Poxwalkers + Altar of Dementia
etc for liliana loops as well.

There might be an easier way to go infinite mill, but not sure. Because poxwalkers adds on to any cast trigger from GY without any timing restriction you can add it to any loop like mashed potatoes to a dinner and sac it for whatever you have access to. You can also make infinite mana with poxwalkers and the other altars. I am sure the more we think about this combination of cards the more we will find because of how well it all plays together.
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
MTG since 2003

Reya

Post by Reya » 1 year ago

After a few games with the recursion team (Poxwalkers, Amalgam and Ghoul), I can see the main downside. The thing is, Amalgam and Ghoul cannot be used immediatly to create winning loops. Poxwalkers is maybe a must have because it comes back instantly whenever you cast a knight with Haakon, or a Gravecrawler from grave or even Varina from the CZ. This one is really amazing.

Amalgam and Ghoul serve another role: they can help you slowly create some sort of a card advantage over a few turns, or a least a good card digging thanks to our Queen. But you need to wait the end of the turn for them to come back and you need a another full turn cycle to create a real advantage. It can probably snowballs from there but it's very slow. Therefore I can definitely see the advantage of those two but definitely, they are not at the level of Poxwalkers.

Now I can imagine cut Amalgam + Ghoul, but not Walkers !

To add the the Altar of Dementia talk: I think we have to try it. You can mill your whole deck easily with it and then cast a mass renaimation. Or you can create infinite loops to mill to death everyone. Bonus, it's a cheap sacrifice outlet. God this deck keeps me brainstorming since more than two years now. I can't find a definitive build !

And finaly, we should definitively run Razorlash Transmogrant. This guy enables loops, is cheap and is easy to cast.

Rframpt

Post by Rframpt » 1 year ago

I gotta ask where you folks get to keep your graveyard at all? Maybe it is just my meta but everyone is packing some sort of yard removal in one form or another. Maybe it is just the way I play my Varina deck but someone is always eyeing my yard for anything they have to remove or be worried about.

devilcatz

Post by devilcatz » 1 year ago

The recursion zombies with Necroduality is crazy when it is in play. Everything doubles. Loving it.

This adds counters to Champion of the Perished nicely.

Works well with ETB drain zombies and sacs for Carrion Ants and the like.

devilcatz

Post by devilcatz » 1 year ago

Rframpt wrote:
1 year ago
I gotta ask where you folks get to keep your graveyard at all? Maybe it is just my meta but everyone is packing some sort of yard removal in one form or another. Maybe it is just the way I play my Varina deck but someone is always eyeing my yard for anything they have to remove or be worried about.
Rotate decks that you have? This helps a lot?

pokken

Rframpt wrote:
1 year ago
My countermagic is all for yard hate. I have a few other strategies that work in some situations-

- just loot for Intuition and use it to beat sorcery speed grave hate with an end step play
- get ahead with conventional CA like Kindred Discovery and Skullclamp
- just take advantage of Varina's ability. Varina's ability is a great way to proactively beat graveyard hate too as you can let them try to hate you, then convert it into zombies
- Cosmic Intervention loops. CI, notably, beats most graveyard hate -- and Corpse Knight and Wayward Servant don't care about dying, it cares about ETB.
- Lazotep Chancellor / Zombie Infestation | Putrid Imp / Ashnod's Altar lines do not require the graveyard at all. It's a good reason to run those cards. It's a four piece combo (add Skullclamp) but it's not impossible to set up.

But generally speaking, learn to sandbag an interaction piece before you try to go off. Chain of Vapor and Fierce Guardianship are really nice low tempo ways to deal with yard hate.

If I found myself in a meta that was running tons of graveyard hate, I might focus more on lords, and doubling Varina's ability, with less on graveyard combo loops - playing zombies and drawing 20 cards when you attack is surprisingly good and not that dependent on yard. Run all three of the Varina doublers Kindred Discovery Teferi's Ageless Insight and Alhammarret's Archive and focus on trying to use those.

FWIW I think there is also an avenue to focus on mass blinking your zombies, especially now that Repository Skaab is here. You could easily pivot to Disorder in the Court Eerie Interlude Semester's End Ghostway effects instead of mass reanimation if you wanted.

toctheyounger

Rframpt wrote:
1 year ago
Personally I've not found it a massive issue. Bog is tough for sure but so many of our zombies look like pure trash sitting in the yard they just don't get noticed. Gravecrawler is a bit different as is Gary but most of them people don't care about.

I think most of the stuff that would shaft our yard we can get on the stack. Bog and Grafdigger's Cage kinda hurt but we can get around em. I think Chain of Vapor is our premium. I dont have a copy but I'd slap it in pretty quick if I did.

The other thing is this is a good reason to run multiple lines with one or two creatures rather than all of them. The mass reanimators are great but if you can go off with Shambling Ghast, Gravecrawler or other options it doesn't matter so much if one of them gets got.

As @pokken said too Varina's second ability is pretty great if you need it. Its not something I do proactively often, except for lands, but faced between having nothing out of the situation and having onboard presence its worth using for sure.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

The Beauty of Varinna is that can easilly adapt and attack through different venues.

toctheyounger

Exactly. I just find its all about leaving yourself room to pivot.

pzbw7z

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
The other thing is this is a good reason to run multiple lines with one or two creatures rather than all of them. The mass reanimators are great but if you can go off with Shambling Ghast, Gravecrawler or other options it doesn't matter so much if one of them gets got.
This is the beauty of Haakon, Stromgald Scourge et. al. and Liliana, Untouched by Death. These facilitate multiple recursion opportunities beyond Gravecrawler.

plaganegra
Jeff

Reya wrote:
1 year ago
After a few games with the recursion team (Poxwalkers, Amalgam and Ghoul), I can see the main downside. The thing is, Amalgam and Ghoul cannot be used immediatly to create winning loops. Poxwalkers is maybe a must have because it comes back instantly whenever you cast a knight with Haakon, or a Gravecrawler from grave or even Varina from the CZ. This one is really amazing.

Amalgam and Ghoul serve another role: they can help you slowly create some sort of a card advantage over a few turns, or a least a good card digging thanks to our Queen. But you need to wait the end of the turn for them to come back and you need a another full turn cycle to create a real advantage. It can probably snowballs from there but it's very slow. Therefore I can definitely see the advantage of those two but definitely, they are not at the level of Poxwalkers.

Now I can imagine cut Amalgam + Ghoul, but not Walkers !

To add the the Altar of Dementia talk: I think we have to try it. You can mill your whole deck easily with it and then cast a mass renaimation. Or you can create infinite loops to mill to death everyone. Bonus, it's a cheap sacrifice outlet. God this deck keeps me brainstorming since more than two years now. I can't find a definitive build !

And finaly, we should definitively run Razorlash Transmogrant. This guy enables loops, is cheap and is easy to cast.
Glad you gave them a whirl!

Poxwalkers is so good if your deck construction can support it with enough cards that trigger that reanimation effect. Easily the most powerful of them because of the speed of the trigger.

I just wanted to make note on Prized Amalgam and Silversmote Ghoul, since they are not actually "slow" unless you are comparing them only to Poxwalkers (and only in the sense of combo loops really). They operate at the same speed as every other zombie in the deck without a haste enabler except they operate for free and incremental value over time as they generate a lot of card advantage. The way they can help the deck snowball is not "very slow," it is actually a fast and uptempo playstyle - you can spend your mana on casting zombies and then get even more value zombies into play without doing much of anything. They can attack next turn just like anything you would have cast, except instead of paying mana you just need to meet the condition of the trigger which you will inevitably do most of the time depending on how your deck is constructed.

In general if anyone is looking to try these zombies out...
  • Silversmote Ghoul is a good value card tat can fit into any Varina deck that attacks with zombies - it is very easy to trigger and the draw ability is nice to have. It does't require you to do anything special in building your deck.
  • Prized Amalgam needs a lot of support to work and does not slot into most Varina decks without a lot of help - for me including a few GY tutors to get another zombie that can bring amalgam back to the table has been enough, but there is a lot that can be taken in consideration when optimizing the impact of this single card.
  • Poxwalkers slots into most Varina decks that are combo-focused and somewhat optimized. It enables more loops and makes "going off" easier in theory since it is no cost to you to discard it and you might need it later to enable or piece together a combo win.
  • Bladewhip Transmogrant is awesome because it only costs 2 colorless so you can cast it with a clean conscience if you want to and it also comes back for only BB and can bring prized amalgam with it. Adding another enabler for amalgam is a big benefit if you are using more than one of these creatures.
I saw some comments about Varina's token generating ability. I just wanted to point out to anyone who doesn't run Binding Mummy there is a very good synergy here with Varina's second ability that I use regularly enough to share it as a decent benefit. Being able to tap 2 mana and tap something down at instant speed and get any ETB trigger and another zombie in play to use later or attack with is really fantastic.

Whenever I have extra mana available I use Varina, Lich Queen's second ability very aggressively at the end of the turn before mine just removing things I don't need. One of the reasons I really value my fetch lands is they give me a lot of fodder to exile here. Not to mention all the other stuff that is being looted that can't be used later.

On Graveyard Hate - My experience is in line with what Toc & Pokken shared - I try to keep a counter in my hand or play around graveyard hate until someone at the table finds an answer. If no one does you can assemble a horde of zombies the old fashioned way also and that's why I love having evasion in my deck. Making a lot of zombies and attacking is always viable! I tend to hold really important cards in my hand until I really need them also - like altars. I don't run them out until it matters or until I can get immediate value at instant speed if someone tries to blow it up right away.

I have never played with chain of vapor - do you just use this card when you are planning to win? How often does someone come back and target something on your board with it and to what effect?

@devilcatz You now understand why I love Necroduality and Tormod the desecrator! Amazing payoffs with the GY zombies!
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
MTG since 2003

Falkenbach

Post by Falkenbach » 1 year ago

Am i right that most builds on this thread now turn to infinitly looping with phyrexian altar or other combo wins? Especially with liliana haakon and the changeling zombies? I myself try to stay away from phyrexian altar as i played it to much already in the past. The mass reanimation plan and the instantspeed answering is more my type of build. Alot depends on playgroup ofc..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”